So, Since Y'all Got An Election Coming Up...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

So, Since Y'all Got An Election Coming Up...

Post by colchar » October 29th, 2012, 1:53 am

...and Sandy is about to drill the east coast I've got a question (or questions). If there are areas still without power or that still have enough damage that travel will be difficult (or impossible) come election day, how is that dealt with? Will they postpone it for say a week or something? Will they just go ahead with the election and if people cannot get to a polling station or there is no power for polling stations in their area are they simply out of luck?

Our elections are not on a set date every time like yours are, ours change with each election and can sometimes take place in the worst of the winter and, so far as I can remember, we simply go ahead with them no matter how bad the snow is (but I could be wrong about that) so I was wondering what happens with you folks if Mother Nature decides to throw a monkey wrench into things. Plus, we use paper ballots so, except for lighting, electricity isn't necessary for us to hold an election.

And, for the record, I do not want to discuss the election itself as that is against the rules - I am merely curious as to the procedure if the weather wreaks havoc.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
shereec
PWing School Professor

Re: So, Since Y'all Got An Election Coming Up...

Post by shereec » October 29th, 2012, 6:05 am

It's a good question and it made me go looking online for information - couldn't find much other than a lot of opinion. I have no idea what the official policies/laws are, but feel pretty sure that if there are widespread power outages on election day, there will be widespread lawsuits from the campaigns, which means it could be a while before we know results.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 29th, 2012, 8:08 am

Even if the voting is electronic, people (and polling stations) still have access to generators. Election day is over a week away; my guess is by then access to voting places will have been cleared. This isn't a Katrina scenario where these places are below sea level and will be washed away.

P.S. Sandy could be the largest storm to hit the U.S., but it is not nearly as strong as Katrina so it shouldn't wipe out the infrastructure as she did.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 29th, 2012, 8:47 am

Gee. Never thought of that as I've never ever heard of an election day being changed for any reason.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 29th, 2012, 9:45 am

The election won't be postponed. Voting hours could be extended in areas affected. Does that mean days and not hours? I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I plan to early vote today. :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 29th, 2012, 11:28 am

Everyone or almost everyone should VOTE EARLY. With mail in ballots or early voting locations (2 weeks or more).... there is no reason to wait until Next Tuesday, and wait in long lines with all the other procrastinataters.

VOTE EARLY!!!!

**== **== 2012 **== **== **==
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 29th, 2012, 11:51 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Everyone or almost everyone should VOTE EARLY. With mail in ballots or early voting locations (2 weeks or more).... there is no reason to wait until Next Tuesday, and wait in long lines with all the other procrastinataters.

VOTE EARLY!!!!

We're only allowed to vote early if we can show that we will be out of the county on election day. ~X(
Flippin' Kentucky! :Boo: :Angry Orc:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 29th, 2012, 11:56 am

Lavabe wrote: We're only allowed to vote early if we can show that we will be out of the county on election day. ~X(
And just how do you have to prove that? Can't you just say "I'll be out of town that day."? I mean, it's not like you have to show ID in able to be able to vote, so they won't believe what you tell them? You could always make a hotel reservation, print out the confirmation, show that to them and then cancel the reservation. Would that constitute "proof"? Not everyone flies when the travel. :9f:

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 29th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Lavabe wrote:
DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Everyone or almost everyone should VOTE EARLY. With mail in ballots or early voting locations (2 weeks or more).... there is no reason to wait until Next Tuesday, and wait in long lines with all the other procrastinataters.

VOTE EARLY!!!!

We're only allowed to vote early if we can show that we will be out of the county on election day. ~X(
Is Kentucky still living by Hatfield / McCoy law?

Tell Kentucky, you are visiting West Virginia!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 29th, 2012, 12:10 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

VOTE EARLY!!!!

Is Kentucky still living by Hatfield / McCoy law?

Tell Kentucky, you are visiting West Virginia!
Umm, REALLY?

Generally speaking, we don't have long lines. Then again, we haven't been a battleground state in ages. I voted around 615AM four years ago, and I had no wait.
In general, I think we have a LOT of polling places.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 29th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Lavabe wrote: Generally speaking, we don't have long lines. Then again, we haven't been a battleground state in ages. I voted around 615AM four years ago, and I had no wait.
In general, I think we have a LOT of polling places.

The only things anyone should be doing at 6:15am are heading out to play golf or coming home from a night of drinking!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 29th, 2012, 2:56 pm

I'm far enough away from the massive storm that it shoudn't cause a problem. After the long lines for Bush-Clinton, our polling places were divided into smaller areas to avoid that happening again. My polling place, which has changed again this year, typically only has 3-5 voting machines since the total that can vote there is relatively small. Between that and people that vote early, I don't anticipate much of a wait to vote. Last presidential election, it took me longer to drive to Denny's, where I voted, than it took me to vote. (I do miss the days when I got to vote in the bowling alley.)
Life is good!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 29th, 2012, 5:06 pm

There's no early voting in Virginia, and lines in Maryland for early voting were four hours long Thursday. Early voting in Maryland and DC were shut down by Sandy. You have to have reason to absentee vote in Virginia as well.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 29th, 2012, 6:54 pm

I voted today. It took all of 15 minutes, including waiting in a 4 person line for a minute. Thanks to CathyCA and Talklady for the recommendations on which judges to vote for. They had similar names listed.

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 29th, 2012, 10:26 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I voted today. It took all of 15 minutes, including waiting in a 4 person line for a minute. Thanks to CathyCA and Talklady for the recommendations on which judges to vote for. They had similar names listed.
You're welcome! (Thank you for voting for the judges I recommended. It will make my job easier if those judges win their elections.)

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » October 29th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Not that we're impacted at all by Sandy, but Washington State is now entirely vote-by-mail. For those of us who could afford to take the time to go to the polling station, and liked getting the "I voted" sticker, it's kind of a bummer we don't have that option, but from a pure perspective of making sure everyone who wants to vote and is registered, can cast a ballot, I approve.

As for moving election day, that's not going to happen without a change in Federal law, which sets the election date (for Federal races) as the first Tues. after the first Monday in November.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 30th, 2012, 4:56 am

I voted last week, and got that behind me. Early voting is great. The lines dont take long. Or didnt last week.

Hurricane Sandy has put a halt on Obama and Romney campaigning in Key States and has shut down parts of New Jersey and New York.

How will the Wrath of Sandy affect voting? Power may not restored in NYC for over a week?

Also, when has a Hurricane hit in late late October? And with the cold front of Sandy, a blizard in West Virginia is suppose to dump 2 ft of snow, per CBS last night. This weather is insane.

Everyone that can VOTE EARLY......... vote!!! Avoid long lines !

**== **== 2012 **== **==
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 30th, 2012, 8:08 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:How will the Wrath of Sandy affect voting? Power may not restored in NYC for over a week?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 31st, 2012, 6:34 am

Saw this piece on CNN and figured I'd add it to the conversation.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/31/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_t3
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 31st, 2012, 9:23 am

TillyGalore wrote:Saw this piece on CNN and figured I'd add it to the conversation.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/31/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_t3
This sounds like something someone from Chicago might say... OK, just kidding B-)
Echoing comments by President Barack Obama on Monday, Christie said, "Then we'll worry about the election. The election will take care of itself."
:))