Trivia, Anyone?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Trivia, Anyone?

Post by Native » September 18th, 2012, 12:24 am

Hey guys, I'm one of the VPs of the Inferno, the student athletics club, and an RA asked us to host a Duke Sports Trivia Night in Blackwell on East Campus this Thursday. I get the enviable task of helping to write the trivia questions! We've already got a pretty long list, but if you guys can think of anything else (probably on the easier side - most freshmen won't know all of this stuff) I'd appreciate it.

Not all of these questions were written by me, either, so feel free to fact check or clarify.

Here's what I have so far:
Native

Re: Trivia, Anyone?

Post by Native » September 18th, 2012, 12:25 am

Really, Really Easy Questions (My Unborn Child Could Get These Right)

I capped a furious ten-point comeback with two minutes to go with my buzzer-beating three point shot to defeat UNC just last season. Who am I?
Austin Rivers

In 2001, I swept the National Player of the Year awards for Division 1 basketball, winning a national title in the same year. My #31 jersey hangs from the rafters in Cameron, and I just won an NBA title this season with the Miami Heat. Who am I?
Shane Battier

Duke has a long history of sending athletes to the Olympics. This year, two divers were sent to London to represent Duke and the USA. Name them.
Abby Johnston and Nick McCrory

Which is the only Duke sport to play its home matches on East Campus?
Field Hockey

Fill in the blank: Go To Hell, _______________, Go To Hell!
Carolina
Native

Post by Native » September 18th, 2012, 12:25 am

Easy Questions (You Enjoy Duke Sports Often)

I set a new NCAA record for most three-pointers in a college career while I played at Duke. My #4 jersey hangs from the rafters in Cameron. Who am I?
J.J. Redick

I sunk the most famous shot in NCAA Tournament history, after catching a full-court pass from Grant Hill with 2.1 seconds remaining in the 1992 East Regional Final versus Kentucky. My #32 jersey was retired and hangs from the rafters in Cameron. Who am I?
Christian Laettner

Name the four years in which Duke has won national championships in men’s basketball.
1991, 1992, 2001, 2010

Name the stadium on campus that hosts matches in soccer and lacrosse.
Koskinen Stadium

This popular dance song is played near the end of every men’s basketball game and at some point at most Duke sporting events. Name the song.
Cascada’s “Every Time We Touch”

On what date is Countdown to Craziness this year?
October 18th

Intermediate Questions (You're An Avid Duke Fan)

I coach the Duke men's lacrosse team. My son, Matt, also played for Duke and won the Tewaaraton Trophy awarded to the best player in Division I lacrosse. Who am I?
John Danowski

I coach the Duke women's basketball team. Who am I?
Joanne McCallie

In December 2004, I saved Duke from a loss at home to Virginia Tech by sinking a half-court shot at the buzzer. Who am I?
Sean Dockery

How many varsity sports does Duke have?

How many ACC championships has Duke won overall in all sports?

In 2001, led by then-point guard Jason Williams, Duke erased a ten-point deficit in the final sixty seconds of an ACC men's basketball game now known as the "Miracle Minute". Which conference opponent did we beat?
Maryland

Spell "Krzyzewski".

Krzyzewskiville was started by Kimberly Reed, a member of Mirecourt House, in what year?

What was the first team to win a national championship for Duke in any sport?
Men's Soccer

This year, Duke football looks poised to become bowl-eligible for the first time since what year?

This Duke athletic venue was the first facility built on West Campus - even before Duke Chapel was constructed. Which venue is this?
Wallace Wade Stadium

I am the most recent player to commit to play basketball at Duke University. I'm a 6'7" wing from Ottawa, Kansas. Who am I?
Semi Ojeleye
Last edited by Native on September 18th, 2012, 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Native

Post by Native » September 18th, 2012, 12:30 am

Really, Really Hard Questions (You Might Want To Google These, They’re So Hard)

While I was a walk-on during the 2005 season, Coach K started me in a game against Wake Forest with the sole purpose of playing tough man-to-man defense on Chris Paul with five fouls to give. Since then I’ve become known for being the only person to make Chuck Norris cry. Who am I?
Patrick Davidson

I might just be the worst ref in the Atlantic Coast Conference. I’ve drawn ire from both UNC and Duke fans alike for my terrible officiating. In fact, my God-awful refereeing ability might be the only thing Duke and Carolina fans can agree on, though they disagree on which team I favor. If you don’t know me, you and I will surely get acquainted this basketball season. Who am I?
Karl Hess

Over the years, the Cameron Crazies have invented many popular chants which have been copied or imitated by other schools. However, one chant invented by the Crazies in 1974 has grown to be ubiquitous - it was directed at UNC’s Rich Yonakor, who missed the Tar Heels’ only shot of the half as they were running a stall offense. What famous cheer was created that day?
The “AIRBALL” chant

Known to students as “Crazy Towel Guy”, this elderly Duke fan is notorious for attending nearly every Duke game in every sport and waving a towel over his head at key points during the match. However, to family and friends, he goes by a different name - what is Crazy Towel Guy’s real name?
Herb Neubauer

Duke Basketball Report is a popular message board and fan site for Duke students, alumni, and fans to discuss all things Duke. One of its oldest members, who goes by the name “Throatybeard”, wrote the “DBR Manifesto/Handy Pocket Reference”, which uses a system of numbers and letters to stand for topics that are often discussed on the board. What common Duke chant does the code “9F” stand for?
Go To Hell Carolina, Go To Hell
Native

Post by Native » September 18th, 2012, 12:31 am

Hard Questions (OK, You Know Your Stuff)

In 1938, then-Head Coach Wallace Wade’s “Iron Dukes” earned their moniker by shutting out all of their opponents in the regular football season. However, they lost by a 7-3 margin in that year’s Rose Bowl to what team? Hint: This team is still a football powerhouse today.
USC (University of Southern California)

I was an integral part of the Duke lacrosse team that won the national championship in 2010. I won the Tewaaraton Trophy in that year - awarded to the best player in Men’s DI Lacrosse, and I also won ACC Player of the Year. Who am I?
Ned Crotty

In 1995, I hit a buzzer-beating half-court shot to send a game versus Carolina into overtime. After coaching at VCU and Oklahoma, I returned to Duke as an assistant coach a few seasons ago. Who am I?
Jeff Capel

In 2010, I scored the game-winning goal six seconds into overtime to secure Duke its first NCAA championship in lacrosse - and I did it with a defense/long stick after winning the ensuing face-off. Who am I?
CJ Costabile

While there were three very prominent Duke Olympians who are well-known for competing in London this year, Duke actually sent many more from multiple countries. How many Blue Devil Olympians - current students, Duke coaches, and alumni from any country - did Duke send to the London Olympics this year in total?
9: Luol Deng, Nick McCrory, Abby Johnston, Mike Krzyzewski, Hiroshi Hoketsu, Rebecca Smith, Jillian Schwartz, Shannon Rowbury, and Drew Johansen

After playing for Coach K and graduating from Duke as an undergraduate in 1986, I attended Duke law school. I became one of the four hosts of ESPN’s College Gameday during basketball season. I’m also a member of the Screen Actors Guild and I still practice law. Who am I?
Jay Bilas

The Duke Blue Devil was inspired by a renowned light infantry unit during World War I. From which European country was this unit?
France

What does Speedo Guy do for a living now that he has graduated from Duke?
He’s a pastor at a church

This summer, Duke sent two women’s soccer players to represent the USA on the Women’s U-20 National Team. Name one of them.
Kelly Cobb or Mollie Pathman

2010 National Champion and Duke alumnus Brian Zoubek, known by many fans as “Zou” or “Zoubeard” for his notorious beard, decided not to pursue an NBA career after a back injury sidelined him following his graduation from Duke. Instead, he opened a cream puff bakery in his hometown of Haddonfield, New Jersey. What’s the name of his bakery?
Dream Puffz

I coach the Duke Field Hockey team. Who am I?
Pam Bustin

Nolan Smith, an integral member of the 2010 national championship team in men’s basketball, was known for connecting with the rest of the student body and for his frequent and often humorous Tweets. What is Nolan Smith’s Twitter username?
@ndotsmitty
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 18th, 2012, 12:51 am

The 7-0 half time bball game with Rich Yonakor for UNC was in 1979, not in 1974.

Blast from the past question - probably way too obscure: What is the proper response when one side of the stands shouts Green? bonus points if you can name the young man's father.

Shorts - Chancellor Ken Pye (at least that was the story)
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 18th, 2012, 1:39 am

Native wrote:Really, Really Hard Questions (You Might Want To Google These, They’re So Hard)

I might just be the worst ref in the Atlantic Coast Conference. I’ve drawn ire from both UNC and Duke fans alike for my terrible officiating. In fact, my God-awful refereeing ability might be the only thing Duke and Carolina fans can agree on, though they disagree on which team I favor. If you don’t know me, you and I will surely get acquainted this basketball season. Who am I?
Karl Hess

Over the years, the Cameron Crazies have invented many popular chants which have been copied or imitated by other schools. However, one chant invented by the Crazies in 1974 has grown to be ubiquitous - it was directed at UNC’s Rich Yonakor, who missed the Tar Heels’ only shot of the half as they were running a stall offense. What famous cheer was created that day?
The “AIRBALL” chant

Known to students as “Crazy Towel Guy”, this elderly Duke fan is notorious for attending nearly every Duke game in every sport and waving a towel over his head at key points during the match. However, to family and friends, he goes by a different name - what is Crazy Towel Guy’s real name?
Herb Neubauer

Duke Basketball Report is a popular message board and fan site for Duke students, alumni, and fans to discuss all things Duke. One of its oldest members, who goes by the name “Throatybeard”, wrote the “DBR Manifesto/Handy Pocket Reference”, which uses a system of numbers and letters to stand for topics that are often discussed on the board. What common Duke chant does the code “9F” stand for?
Go To Hell Carolina, Go To Hell
Native, I love that you include 9F in your quiz!

As pointed out already, the AIRBALL chant was in 1979, AND it was on Yonaker's second shot attempt of the half, not his first, that James Armstrong, of DBR fame but then a grad student, coined the cheer!

Karl Hess? Yes, but he's only the latest in a long string of officials who would fit most of your criteria! Most are now retired.

And please drop Crazie Towel Guy from your list of questions. Herb's actions over the last year, mostly related to football and discussed here and OY, disqualify him from any claim of being a Duke fan, much less its biggest fan. And the name many of his former friends now call him is a contraction of two words, and they are ass and hole. I heard this as recently as last Friday at the Blue Devil Club meeting, and these guys were in their 70's. He is not worthy of mention in your quiz, and I wish the students would stop playing up to him at basketball games.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 18th, 2012, 1:44 am

DukieInKansas wrote:The 7-0 half time bball game with Rich Yonakor for UNC was in 1979, not in 1974.

Blast from the past question - probably way too obscure: What is the proper response when one side of the stands shouts Green? bonus points if you can name the young man's father.

Ken Pye's young son was the ballboy wearing the green shorts. The story is true. The boy, now all grown up, is a friend of mine; I believe he is an attorney living in Texas.

Native

Post by Native » September 18th, 2012, 2:14 am

I knew I could count on you guys! Keep 'em coming!

Re: CTG, I'm well aware of his recent turn for the worse - most students aren't, however, and another Inferno person wrote the CTG question. I'm definitely veto-ing it, since I've seen every minute of home football this year in person! :D

I didn't even really know the full Green Shorts story until last year. Reminds me of the time I was crowd-surfed as a ball boy in '01.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 18th, 2012, 7:08 am

Native, you might have a question about us hosting the Rose Bowl after Pearl Harbor, (IIRC) the only time it wasn't played in Southern California. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 18th, 2012, 8:37 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:As pointed out already, the AIRBALL chant was in 1979, AND it was on Yonaker's second shot attempt of the half, not his first, that James Armstrong, of DBR fame but then a grad student, coined the cheer!

James was not a grad student at that time. He was a FRESHMAN. He was standing next to me at that game, which also happened to occur on my birthday. James was the first person in the crowd to chant airball, Al Colby ( T '81) was second, followed by yours truly.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 18th, 2012, 8:42 am

Who is the only member of CTN and DBR that has applied for the AD job at Duke in the last several decades?

Hint: :9f:

:)) =)) :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 18th, 2012, 8:56 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:The 7-0 half time bball game with Rich Yonakor for UNC was in 1979, not in 1974.

Ken Pye's young son was the ballboy wearing the green shorts. The story is true. The boy, now all grown up, is a friend of mine; I believe he is an attorney living in Texas.
He wasn't a ball boy - there a kids bball game before the Duke game - young Mr. Pye was attired in green shorts, and what he lacked in natural bball skills he made up for in effort, causing the crowd the get behind him and chant 'green ....shorts' and cheer wildly whenever he got the ball. Yes, I was there. I remember hoping he wouldn't think the crowd was mocking him, but he was grinning ear to ear so clearly he 'got it'.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Native

Post by Native » September 18th, 2012, 9:29 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Native, you might have a question about us hosting the Rose Bowl after Pearl Harbor, (IIRC) the only time it wasn't played in Southern California. :9f:
Added to the list:

Over the years, the Cameron Crazies have invented many popular chants which have been copied or imitated by other schools. However, one chant invented by the Crazies in 1979 has grown to be ubiquitous - it was directed at UNC’s Rich Yonakor, who missed the Tar Heels’ second shot of the first half. What famous cheer was created that day?
The “AIRBALL” chant

Also added:

Originally performed by Otis Redding and further popularized by the film The Blues Brothers, what is the name of the song to which the Duke men’s basketball team takes the floor to warm up?
Can’t Turn You Loose

(Made this one easier, but yeah)
Wallace Wade Stadium is known for being the only stadium outside of California to host this famous bowl game. The location was moved in 1942 after Pearl Harbor. Name the bowl.
The Rose Bowl
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 18th, 2012, 11:22 am

windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

He wasn't a ball boy - there a kids bball game before the Duke game - young Mr. Pye was attired in green shorts, and what he lacked in natural bball skills he made up for in effort, causing the crowd the get behind him and chant 'green ....shorts' and cheer wildly whenever he got the ball. Yes, I was there. I remember hoping he wouldn't think the crowd was mocking him, but he was grinning ear to ear so clearly he 'got it'.
Thanks for the corrections! You were the third person to chant AIRBALL!? THAT is super cool! B-) B-) B-)

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 18th, 2012, 11:24 am

devildeac wrote:Who is the only member of CTN and DBR that has applied for the AD job at Duke in the last several decades?

Hint: :9f:

:)) =)) :)) =))
Hey! I resemble that remark! And if you'll remember, that question was used in another board's trivia quiz a few years ago! :9f:

windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 18th, 2012, 1:58 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Thanks for the corrections! You were the third person to chant AIRBALL!? THAT is super cool! B-) B-) B-)
Yes, I was...and one of the handful who responed to the initial "GREEN" (it was, iirc, BOG that started that ) pointing to the kid and yelling 'GREEN' - my contingent responded with the obvious "SHORTS". Seriously..these were NEON green shorts. there was no doubt what green meant! Young Mr. Pye was shooting a freethrow at the time. I seem to recall he missed the first, made the second and the place went nuts. He was grinning from ear to ear. Green Shorts continued for the duration of their game. The next game in Cameron (no young Mr. Pye in site) the boggers started up "GREEN" and the other side of Cameron yelled Shorts...and so it passed into legend.

I was also present when Mr. Dennard incurred a technical foul, while in street clothes, on the bench. Impressive.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 18th, 2012, 8:01 pm

Coach K is not the only man to coach basketball at Duke and also coach an Olympic Gold Medal team. Who was the other one?

Chuck Daly.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 18th, 2012, 8:11 pm

windsor wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Thanks for the corrections! You were the third person to chant AIRBALL!? THAT is super cool! B-) B-) B-)
Yes, I was...and one of the handful who responed to the initial "GREEN" (it was, iirc, BOG that started that ) pointing to the kid and yelling 'GREEN' - my contingent responded with the obvious "SHORTS". Seriously..these were NEON green shorts. there was no doubt what green meant! Young Mr. Pye was shooting a freethrow at the time. I seem to recall he missed the first, made the second and the place went nuts. He was grinning from ear to ear. Green Shorts continued for the duration of their game. The next game in Cameron (no young Mr. Pye in site) the boggers started up "GREEN" and the other side of Cameron yelled Shorts...and so it passed into legend.

I was also present when Mr. Dennard incurred a technical foul, while in street clothes, on the bench. Impressive.
A "T" on Dennard? I can top that. Senior year, sitting in the first row behind the buffer zone behind the visiting players (non-conference game), sitting about midway behind several players. We finally got a call go our way, and I sarcastically yelled "nice call ref! (as the ref ran past the bench), The ref stopped, turned and pointed at the bench players and T'd them up! The players ALL turned in unison, pointed at me and said "he said it!" :D Whoever took the free throws for us made one out of two, so I "claim" one point for Duke that never went into our record books! But I was responsible for it! B-)

Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » September 18th, 2012, 8:22 pm

(1) Wallace Wade left which college to come coach at Duke? Alabama

(2) One of Duke's football coaches has the distinction of having played in the Rose Bowl (Brown University) and coached two different college teams in the Rose Bowl. Not sure if anyone has can equal this distinction. Who's the coach? Wallace Wade

(3) Coach David Cutcliffe is part of what coaching tree? Wallace Wade coaching tree (When Wallace Wade left Alabama to come to Duke, he hand picked Frank Thomas to follow him. Paul "Bear" Bryant enrolled that fall at Alabama where he played and later coached. David Cutcliffe was on the Bear Bryant staff while in school at Alabama.)

(4) Which major bowl games has Duke played in at least once? Rose, Peach, Cotton and Orange.... a singular achievement when compared to many powerhouses.

(5) Who asked to have "Devil with the Blue Dress On" choreographed and used by the Duke Cheerleader? Coach Vic Bubas
;;)