Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2009, 11:18 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Holy Hops! I just looked on our wine rack and found not one, but TWO bottles of World Wide Stout that our oldest daughter found today while she was cleaning out her room. I forget how old that stuff is as I didn't date my bottles that long ago and DFH does not put years on any of their brews. I'd bet at least 5 years old, but probably more like 7-8 years. Hmm, when should that be consumed? Fall Brunchgate? Trip to Colorado? Decisions, decisions...
Can't wait to hear how those taste after 7-8 years of mellowing...Might have to pick up a WWS and lose it for awhile..
I think they are tough to find. If you find any, I'd pick up 1/2 dozen and have one each year for the next 6 years. It's soooo good though that it would be tough not to finish them in several months.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » July 11th, 2009, 9:26 am

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Stone Old Crustacean--Ceramic growler--I love barleywines and this is no exception. Pours a thick dark reddish brown. It's very hoppy and bitter like other west coast barleywines but also has strong smoke and chocolate tastes. Almost no sweet malts. A big bold sipper and a bit like drinking whiskey. It's pretty hot with alcohol but this was only an 08 and I imagine it would mellow with age. Perfect beer for sleety day but still nice on a summer night...
Stone Old Crustacean? I did not verify it but I thought their barleywine was Old Guardian, or something like that. Rogue makes Old Crustacean. :? I haven't had an Old Crusty for several years-since they started putting it in the highly priced 750 ml bottle :(( :( .
That's the second time I've done that..Rogue not Stone..Long week at work...
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 10:07 am

Does a bluebear drink blue beer?

Yes, that is the extent of my contribution to this thread. Okay, I may have inserted another random post or two in here.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2009, 8:35 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Does a bluebear drink blue beer?

Yes, that is the extent of my contribution to this thread. Okay, I may have inserted another random post or two in here.
IDK, but I think bluebeer, err, bluebear (that's the 2nd time I've done that :roll: ;) ) lives in Boston or nearby and might buy you a fine ale if you contacted him... :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 11th, 2009, 9:14 pm

devildeac wrote:

IDK, but I think bluebeer, err, bluebear (that's the 2nd time I've done that :roll: ;) ) lives in Boston or nearby and might buy you a fine ale if you contacted him... :D
Always ready and willing to do my part to help Ymo make additional contributions to this thread :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2009, 9:16 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:

Always ready and willing to do my part to help Ymo make additional contributions to this thread :D
There's your chance, Ymo... ;)

Me? I'm on call this weekend so no tasting/sampling/reviewing ales for me :(
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 13th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Three Philosophers-sampling tonight-review tomorrow (9.8% ABV)
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 14th, 2009, 7:28 am

devildeac wrote:Three Philosophers-sampling tonight-review tomorrow (9.8% ABV)
Funny, I had an Ommegang Abbey last night..3 Philosophers is very good..looking forward to your review...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 14th, 2009, 11:00 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Three Philosophers-sampling tonight-review tomorrow (9.8% ABV)
Funny, I had an Ommegang Abbey last night..3 Philosophers is very good..looking forward to your review...
Finishing up the 750 ml bottle tonight.

I pulled it out of my bomber/750 ml/wine box and chilled it yesterday and enjoyed 1/2 last PM and the remainder tonight. I can't believe it was cellared for that long-it was brewed in 2006 and I hoped it was not spoiled. It wasn't :D . It's a Belgian brown ale/lambic which means, IIRC, that it is a blended ale of an older and a newer product with 2% kriek, or cherry juice. The brown ale flavors are those of dark caramel and milk chocolate and it pours a creamy, foamy medium brown with a tan, voluptuous head which lingers throughout the sipping process. The cherries are mildly prominent and are sometimes sour and sometimes sweet and the bottle conditioning with Belgian yeast makes it slightly funky/sour, too. This comes in 12 ounce bottles and the 750 ml bottle with a wire and cork and is a nice after dinner beer, with or without a dessert. Last night, I had some fruit salad with it and tonight, I had some Ranier cherries, followed by some mixed nuts. This is a great brew by itself, too. I don't think I have ever had an Ommegang brew I did not truly enjoy, except perhaps the Witte, which is good, just not outstanding. The Abbey is one of my first micros and remains one of my all-time favorites.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 15th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Huge haul today..which will hopefully keep me stocked for awhile as I spent way too much money

New beers...
People's Pint Slippery Slope-Braggot
People's Pint Imperial Stout
Atlantic Brewing Company Brother Adams Bragget Ale--Braggot/Barleywine
2007 Schlafly Reserve Barleywine
Weyerbacher Insanity-Barleywine

and then two that I have tried but will ship off to the cellar
A 4 pack of Old Stock Ale
Rogue Old Crustacean
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 15th, 2009, 6:58 pm

bluebear wrote:Huge haul today..which will hopefully keep me stocked for awhile as I spent way too much money

New beers...

Rogue Old Crustacean
People's Pints? Never heard of them. Where's the brewery?

I am surprised you found the Schlafly's in the northeast. I had a 2007 last year and have one saved for this winter. Outstanding brew. Also have a 2007 or 2008 Schlafly's Imperial Stout I am saving for a bit cooler weather. :D I discovered the Weyerbacher brews a couple years ago. A "sleeper" brewery. Excellent products.

I believe you'll like the Old Stock, both now and in a year or two. ;) :D

I still won't spend $15-16 on the Old Crusty as much as I like the stuff. That works out to about $10 for the beer and the remainder for their fancy arse bottle. :(( :(
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 15th, 2009, 7:44 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Huge haul today..which will hopefully keep me stocked for awhile as I spent way too much money

New beers...

Rogue Old Crustacean

I am surprised you found the Schlafly's in the northeast. I had a 2007 last year and have one saved for this winter. Outstanding brew. Also have a 2007 or 2008 Schlafly's Imperial Stout I am saving for a bit cooler weather. :D I discovered the Weyerbacher brews a couple years ago. A "sleeper" brewery. Excellent products.

I still won't spend $15-16 on the Old Crusty as much as I like the stuff. That works out to about $10 for the beer and the remainder for their fancy arse bottle. :(( :(
People's Pint is in Western MA (Greenfield)--I've never tried anything by them but have heard good things. I think they have very limited distribution.
The only Schlaflys that I've found up here are the Imperial Stout (which I found to be excellent) and now the Barleywine..glad to see the positive review by you as it helps with my buyers remorse..
I like Weyerbacher a lot..their bombers are a little pricey up here but good..I definitely agree with the "sleeper" description..
I did feel bad plunking down the dough on the Old Crusty but I liked it so much that I wanted to tuck one away for a few years..a little investment ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 15th, 2009, 11:07 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:

New beers...

Rogue Old Crustacean

People's Pint is in Western MA (Greenfield)--I've never tried anything by them but have heard good things. I think they have very limited distribution.
The only Schlaflys that I've found up here are the Imperial Stout (which I found to be excellent) and now the Barleywine..glad to see the positive review by you as it helps with my buyers remorse..
I like Weyerbacher a lot..their bombers are a little pricey up here but good..I definitely agree with the "sleeper" description..
I did feel bad plunking down the dough on the Old Crusty but I liked it so much that I wanted to tuck one away for a few years..a little investment ;)
Weyerbacher puts some of their high gravity ales in 12 ounce bottles. They put their "specialty" or oak-aged stuff in the bombers. I like both of those lines of products. Oooh, another idea to transport to rmd to trade for some Colorado "gold" this winter. :D

I have had some old Old Crusty several years ago. It ages well. I'd probably be careful not to disturb the sediment when you decant your beverage several years from now.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Today's haul: 4 bombers

Mothership Wit-to share with Son of DD who is visiting for several days.
Hoppin' Frog Imperial Stout
Hoppin' Frog IIPA-wait 'til you see the IBU on this one!
Victory Wild Devil

And it just so happens I have the day off tomorrow and we are heading to the coast...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 16th, 2009, 8:44 pm

devildeac wrote:Today's haul: 4 bombers

Victory Wild Devil

And it just so happens I have the day off tomorrow and we are heading to the coast...
Great haul!! Is that Boris the Crusher Imperial Stout..great beer..
enjoy...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2009, 8:47 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Today's haul: 4 bombers

Victory Wild Devil

Great haul!! Is that Boris the Crusher Imperial Stout..great beer..
enjoy...
Yes, it is B.O.R.I.S. ;).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2009, 8:48 pm

Questions for bluebear and/or rmd-or anyone for that matter: Have you ever had any of the Eel River products? If so, which ones and what did you think of them?
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 16th, 2009, 9:32 pm

devildeac wrote:Questions for bluebear and/or rmd-or anyone for that matter: Have you ever had any of the Eel River products? If so, which ones and what did you think of them?
Have you tried any? A store near me has a decent selection in their organic beer section but I've yet to pull the trigger. I'll pick up a mixed 6 pack next time in and report back..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 16th, 2009, 10:16 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Questions for bluebear and/or rmd-or anyone for that matter: Have you ever had any of the Eel River products? If so, which ones and what did you think of them?
Have you tried any? A store near me has a decent selection in their organic beer section but I've yet to pull the trigger. I'll pick up a mixed 6 pack next time in and report back..
I saw them for the 1st time today at Whole Paycheck, err, Foods, and had never heard of them before. I'll await your reviews. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 17th, 2009, 11:22 am

Another haul:

2-750 ml bottles Dogfish Head Black and Blue-never had this before
2-750 ml bottles DFH Theobroma-not only never had this before but I have never seen this before (but read about it on their web site and it sounds VERY interesting)

Glad I got paid this week-this stuff is REAL spend-y :((