Warning Will Robinson! Danger! Danger! Site under ATTACK

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Warning Will Robinson! Danger! Danger! Site under ATT

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 27th, 2012, 5:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Well here's the deal. I signed up with a company and paid about $30 thinking that they would be able to go through and not only find the infection but also remove it. Turns out that's not the case. What I paid for was for them to scan the site every day, and if they had caught the infection AFTER we were ok, then they could remove it. But since I signed up post-infection, it would cost me $500 for this service. He then informed me that since I am with justhost as a web provider and they partner with them, my cost will ONLY be $200. I'm not in any position to shell out $200 to remove the infection. At some point CTN may get totally knocked off line since we are technically on a blacklist by Google. I hope this does not happen, and in the mean time I am looking for other solutions, but that's the sum of the issue as it stands today.
Well that sucks. And it would be just terrible if dd lost his 11,644 posts and had to start all over again! =)) And I surely don't want to lose my 7767 (with this one) posts! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2012, 6:13 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Well here's the deal. I signed up with a company and paid about $30 thinking that they would be able to go through and not only find the infection but also remove it. Turns out that's not the case. What I paid for was for them to scan the site every day, and if they had caught the infection AFTER we were ok, then they could remove it. But since I signed up post-infection, it would cost me $500 for this service. He then informed me that since I am with justhost as a web provider and they partner with them, my cost will ONLY be $200. I'm not in any position to shell out $200 to remove the infection. At some point CTN may get totally knocked off line since we are technically on a blacklist by Google. I hope this does not happen, and in the mean time I am looking for other solutions, but that's the sum of the issue as it stands today.
I think we all can/should kick in a few bucks to help pay the $200 to clean things up. If you have a paypal account I'll send you $$, or will give you some this weekend.
Thank you, but before we offer up any $, let me keep researching this. I wish I had more time to devote, but when someone hijacks me for $ I try to make the time. Assholes.
I have figured this much out...the "infection" is most likely only on the front page, not the forum or 21. I've signed up a bit more with Google in hopes they can direct me more specifically to wear the infection is. I can always wipe out the front page and start it over, no big whoop. I don't want to do that to the forum..what a nightmare.
I will of course keep everyone in the loop.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 27th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Let us know when/if you need some $. If it's $200, 20 posters at $10 each would cover it. If so, I'm in. Thanks again for your efforts.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2012, 6:46 pm

The front page has now been wiped off the planet. New season, new look. Don't know if it will fix our issue, but if so it is an easy fix. At the very least it cuts down the number of places the infection can reside.
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » August 27th, 2012, 6:51 pm

devildeac wrote:Let us know when/if you need some $. If it's $200, 20 posters at $10 each would cover it. If so, I'm in. Thanks again for your efforts.
Ditto. With extra dittos on the gratitude...you ROCK!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Still working on it. I did an update to the forum tonight which was why everything was offline for a bit.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 27th, 2012, 8:50 pm

bluebutton wrote:
devildeac wrote:Let us know when/if you need some $. If it's $200, 20 posters at $10 each would cover it. If so, I'm in. Thanks again for your efforts.
Ditto. With extra dittos on the gratitude...you ROCK!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Me too, me too. I'm happy to chip in $10.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 27th, 2012, 10:37 pm

I'm in, too. Thanks, CBB! :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 27th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I am in for $10 too. Thanks for all you do to keep us percolating along, CB&B. :duke: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » August 28th, 2012, 12:37 am

+1 for being willing to provide my share of whatever it takes to keep you whole, CB&B, and the site running for the foreseeable future. I appreciate what it takes to keep the site up, and what a great job you do. :happy-bouncyblue:
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 28th, 2012, 6:36 am

I'm in too, just let me know how I can help.

I'm really glad the site is back up without warning. While the bogus malware message was up, CTN was blocked by the firewall at work AND whenever I posted from home my messages wouldn't save; the form page would just refresh and my post would be gone. <sigh>

Now onto my regularly scheduled pwing.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 28th, 2012, 7:00 am

Miles wrote:I'm in too, just let me know how I can help.

I'm really glad the site is back up without warning. While the bogus malware message was up, CTN was blocked by the firewall at work AND whenever I posted from home my messages wouldn't save; the form page would just refresh and my post would be gone. <sigh>

I don't use any of the browsers that reported us as being horrible people, but I did resubmit us to Google. So when you signed on today you didn't have any warnings?
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 28th, 2012, 7:56 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

I don't use any of the browsers that reported us as being horrible people, but I did resubmit us to Google. So when you signed on today you didn't have any warnings?
No warnings from my home laptop. :ymapplause: I will check again when I get to the office.

:duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 28th, 2012, 7:57 am

and me to the list of the people who are happy to kick some $$! Just say the word and the dead presidents will be on their way.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 28th, 2012, 8:14 am

No warning this morning! And I didn't have to sign back in when restarting Firefox, something that happened about half the time when the warning was up! Tell those folks to stuff their $200 charge where the sun don't shine, because YOU have fixed the problem when you reloaded the front page! :happy-bouncyblue:

dhdh djejejjr krjrhghr rjtjgjgbdfjdlw ;w;wdiiidkekekeeke B-) jekk :D lfffffffff
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuttttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhh
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 28th, 2012, 8:33 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

No warnings this morning!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 28th, 2012, 9:32 am

Clean at the salt mine, too! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 28th, 2012, 10:36 am

No problems from the office computer, either.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 28th, 2012, 10:45 am

Count me in if we need to get anything.
I hope all is running smoothly, and that we get off the blacklist.
Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 28th, 2012, 10:58 am

I am now able to post our SiteLock badge...and further infections will be detected and removed before they become the hassle that this one did.