LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 27th, 2012, 8:57 am

DevilAlumna wrote:My grandmother passed today, 11 days shy of her 103rd birthday. Ruth Gwendolyn was born Sept. 7, 1909. Finally at rest, eternally at peace.
Condolences from the Ozzie household, and what everyone else said too.
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 27th, 2012, 9:14 am

DevilAlumna wrote:My grandmother passed today, 11 days shy of her 103rd birthday. Ruth Gwendolyn was born Sept. 7, 1909. Finally at rest, eternally at peace.
ID sympathy & prayers to you and your family.
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » August 27th, 2012, 9:16 am

CathyCA wrote:My iPod died last night. I've had that thing since 2005. I tried every solution I knew to fix it, including contacting Apple. Apple declined to fix it. I decided that if Apple wouldn't attempt to repair it for me, that it was time to get a new iPod.

I recalled that my Blackberry is ancient (4+ years old).

I also reasoned that a new iPhone is cheaper than a new iPod and a new Blackberry.

Therefore, this afternoon, I became the proud owner of an iPhone. Except for the stupid touch keyboard, I am having so much fun!

:9f:
Welcome to the Apple world! You are going to love it! :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 27th, 2012, 11:04 am

Condolences to you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers for all of you. :ymhug:

Thank you for posting the FB pictures of your grandmother and your sweet little girl. Those are beautiful.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 27th, 2012, 2:29 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I received an email today from the music director at our church, announcing his resignation. The impression I got from his message is that it's effective immediately. There was no hint of this whatsoever on Wednesday night at choir rehearsal. Pretty stunning.
I smell a scandal avoidance maneuver here. Who'd he sleep with? What drugs did he do? :ymdevil:
That's my first thought, too.
That is my first thought, also.

(Now I'll read the rest of the thread to see if the answer appears.)
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 27th, 2012, 2:32 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I received an email today from the music director at our church, announcing his resignation. The impression I got from his message is that it's effective immediately. There was no hint of this whatsoever on Wednesday night at choir rehearsal. Pretty stunning.
I smell a scandal avoidance maneuver here. Who'd he sleep with? What drugs did he do? :ymdevil:
For those of you who guessed, "Married music director having an affair with married church member," you may step to the head of the class. :twitch: :-o
Was the married church member also a member of the choir?

(And I'll continue reading to see if this is answered.)
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 27th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Condolences to you and all of your family. She saw a lot of things happen in her lifetime and had so much wisdom to pass on to her family. May wonderful memories of her guide you as you raise your cutie pie.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 27th, 2012, 6:04 pm

OK, CB&B, when were you going to invite us down to visit this business:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/25/ ... k=misearch

:-w :-w
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 27th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Sorry for your loss, DA.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » August 27th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Condolences DA...It's amazing to consider the world events she lived through.

:ymhug:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 27th, 2012, 10:43 pm

devildeac wrote:OK, CB&B, when were you going to invite us down to visit this business:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/08/25/ ... k=misearch

:-w :-w
I responded to DD via PM that I sent him a picture of this heavenly hoofer's spot on my first date with Julie..or not long after. Not my fault that you dance so slow. ;)
Grill is always open. (oooh, and the Beer Army store across the bridge from it (literally) is sometimes open.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » August 27th, 2012, 11:54 pm

Thanks, all, for the condolences. Grandma did live a wonderful, long life, and I was lucky to have been able to spend quality time with her for so much of my life. I distinctly remember two days, I was back in Nebraska visiting her between Freshman & Soph year at Duke. We spent the bulk of each day going through her old photo albums, basically reliving her life from early childhood to my dad going off to college.

I heard about her experience as a "country school" teacher (yes, like Laura Ingalls); how when she was 9 or 10, her family moved to the plains of Montana to homestead - mom & kids (Grandma was oldest of 6) out in the middle of nowhere with nothing, while dad was off in the city, trying to earn living money. When they moved back to Nebraska, grandma was responsible for driving the family to school in the horse-drawn carriage. I learned about how grandpa lost all his savings for med school in the bank crash of 1929, and had to settle for mortuary training, so he could have a way to support her, and they could finally get married. (She didn't have my father until she was 33, very atypical of her generation.) So many more stories about her brothers and sisters, her mom & dad, my dad and aunt.

Yes, she was an amazing lady, and I was very blessed to have her in my life. :duke:
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 28th, 2012, 11:13 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Thanks, all, for the condolences. Grandma did live a wonderful, long life, and I was lucky to have been able to spend quality time with her for so much of my life. I distinctly remember two days, I was back in Nebraska visiting her between Freshman & Soph year at Duke. We spent the bulk of each day going through her old photo albums, basically reliving her life from early childhood to my dad going off to college.

I heard about her experience as a "country school" teacher (yes, like Laura Ingalls); how when she was 9 or 10, her family moved to the plains of Montana to homestead - mom & kids (Grandma was oldest of 6) out in the middle of nowhere with nothing, while dad was off in the city, trying to earn living money. When they moved back to Nebraska, grandma was responsible for driving the family to school in the horse-drawn carriage. I learned about how grandpa lost all his savings for med school in the bank crash of 1929, and had to settle for mortuary training, so he could have a way to support her, and they could finally get married. (She didn't have my father until she was 33, very atypical of her generation.) So many more stories about her brothers and sisters, her mom & dad, my dad and aunt.

Yes, she was an amazing lady, and I was very blessed to have her in my life. :duke:
Condolences to you and your family, DA. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 28th, 2012, 1:13 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:Thanks, all, for the condolences. Grandma did live a wonderful, long life, and I was lucky to have been able to spend quality time with her for so much of my life. I distinctly remember two days, I was back in Nebraska visiting her between Freshman & Soph year at Duke. We spent the bulk of each day going through her old photo albums, basically reliving her life from early childhood to my dad going off to college.

Thoughts and vibes to you, DA. Thanks for posting this story. Wow!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 28th, 2012, 9:39 pm

I'd bet you feel a lot better after having written the above.
We are all fortunate you have shared it.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 29th, 2012, 4:24 pm

It seems we have a rocket scientist coming to court soon.

She mis-dialed her dealer's phone number and attempted to buy weed from a Sheriff's Office sergeant. L-) :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 29th, 2012, 4:24 pm

I bought tickets to Donny and Marie today. :x

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 30th, 2012, 8:40 pm

I just finished teaching a colleague how to change a flat tire. He was amazed that I knew how to do this and that I had a pressure gauge and a portable air compressor in my car. Good thing, since the spare tire was only at about 20 psi (required 60 psi). Guess who is going to be purchasing a tire gauge and a portable air compressor. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 30th, 2012, 9:08 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I just finished teaching a colleague how to change a flat tire. He was amazed that I knew how to do this and that I had a pressure gauge and a portable air compressor in my car. Good thing, since the spare tire was only at about 20 psi (required 60 psi). Guess who is going to be purchasing a tire gauge and a portable air compressor. :9f:
YAY, AD!

Fortunately, I've never had to change a tire, although I took a class in how to change one.

Here's my tire-changing safety hint: Roll down the windows in order to lower the car's center of gravity before you put the car on the jack. The wind from passing cars is less likely to knock the car off the jack with a lowered center of gravity.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 30th, 2012, 9:38 pm

CathyCA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I just finished teaching a colleague how to change a flat tire. He was amazed that I knew how to do this and that I had a pressure gauge and a portable air compressor in my car. Good thing, since the spare tire was only at about 20 psi (required 60 psi). Guess who is going to be purchasing a tire gauge and a portable air compressor. :9f:
YAY, AD!

Fortunately, I've never had to change a tire, although I took a class in how to change one.

Here's my tire-changing safety hint: Roll down the windows in order to lower the car's center of gravity before you put the car on the jack. The wind from passing cars is less likely to knock the car off the jack with a lowered center of gravity.

Wow - I didn't know that! I've learned something new today. The problem we had was related to the fact that he didn't have the emergency brake on, and I hadn't blocked the tire diagonally opposite the one being changed. He got an unplanned lesson on why both are important.

I learned how to change a tire in Driver's Ed class in high school. Also had gotten lessons from my dad at some point. My colleague, in contrast, comes from a very privileged background. He told me that his family had servants and he never had to do anything for himself. It's really funny; I have lots of practical skills that many people these days don't have. Days like today make me recognize the fact that, all in all, I'm very lucky for my upbringing. We didn't have a lot of money or a lot of stuff, but we were rich. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein