LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by IowaDevil » July 22nd, 2012, 12:55 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm asking for all the prayers and vibes you can spare for a friend in Arkansas. I've known her for almost 20 years; she's one of my sister's best friends from college and a fellow choir member at my old church in Little Rock. She was diagnosed last week with stage 4 ovarian cancer and is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. This one absolutely breaks my heart. She has a 2 year old daughter and 3 stepchildren. Cancer really sucks.

It definitely puts all of my gripes about the professional ethics of my colleagues, current and former, into perspective. In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't matter.
Vibes, prayers & hugs to all! :wizard: :YMPRAY: :ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 22nd, 2012, 1:32 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'm asking for all the prayers and vibes you can spare for a friend in Arkansas. I've known her for almost 20 years; she's one of my sister's best friends from college and a fellow choir member at my old church in Little Rock. She was diagnosed last week with stage 4 ovarian cancer and is scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. This one absolutely breaks my heart. She has a 2 year old daughter and 3 stepchildren. Cancer really sucks.

It definitely puts all of my gripes about the professional ethics of my colleagues, current and former, into perspective. In the grand scheme of things, it just doesn't matter.
From here too! :wizard:
I have a friend diagnosed with stage 4 bone cancer, discovered 3 weeks ago.
The current question is...chemo? or Hospice?
Prayers for both.
:pray:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 22nd, 2012, 1:36 pm

captmojo wrote:
IowaDevil wrote:

Prayers for both.
Prayers for your friend, captmojo. :pray:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 22nd, 2012, 1:40 pm

As painful as I've heard that bone cancer can be, how can you ignore it until it has reached stage 4?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukePA

Post by DukePA » July 22nd, 2012, 1:43 pm

Prayers and hugs to all!!!!!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 22nd, 2012, 6:02 pm

captmojo wrote:
IowaDevil wrote:

Prayers for both.
Prayers for both. :wizard: :pray:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 22nd, 2012, 7:18 pm

Went for a 40 min bike ride followed by a brief dip in the apartment complex's swimming pool. I was unimpressed. The darn thing is only 3 ft deep; it's a resort-style pool. Next time I'll cool off in the large natural wave pool that's just across the road from where I live.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 22nd, 2012, 9:20 pm

That is so sad. Hugs to you. :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 22nd, 2012, 9:25 pm

Vibes and prays for your friend Capt'. :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 22nd, 2012, 10:17 pm

Prayers, hugs, and vibes to the friend of AD and to the friend of the Capt.
Life is good!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » July 23rd, 2012, 10:38 pm

How many days til Basketball starts? I'm ready! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :duke:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 24th, 2012, 10:30 pm

My friend had her surgery today. The surgeons called the tumor resection ''optimal' and put her prognosis on the encouraging side. All remaining rumors are less than 1 cm in size, and apparently this is the size that responds well to chemo.

Please keep the prayers and vibes flowing!
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 24th, 2012, 10:53 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My friend had her surgery today. The surgeons called the tumor resection ''optimal' and put her prognosis on the encouraging side. All remaining rumors are less than 1 cm in size, and apparently this is the size that responds well to chemo.

Please keep the prayers and vibes flowing!
Prayers continue from Kansas.
Life is good!
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » July 25th, 2012, 3:38 pm

I'm teaching myself to use a relational database (via EasyPhp) to manage my research data instead of using a spreadsheet.

It's fun but rather slow. And I'm frequently wishing I had learned all this stuff earlier but that's not what my profs were into.

So that's been my day so far.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 25th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Our dinner tonight was BLT'S, deviled eggs and fresh peaches over pound cake and wipe cream. It hit the spot for me. The family was happy. I fed 5 tonight. :)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2012, 9:17 pm

bluebutton wrote:I'm teaching myself to use a relational database (via EasyPhp) to manage my research data instead of using a spreadsheet.

It's fun but rather slow. And I'm frequently wishing I had learned all this stuff earlier but that's not what my profs were into.

Relational database? What's that? Is it something that would help a science nerd like me?
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 26th, 2012, 1:17 am

bluebutton wrote:I'm teaching myself to use a relational database (via EasyPhp) to manage my research data instead of using a spreadsheet.

Yay, fun!! :happy-bouncyblue:

Databases are awesome. :-B
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » July 26th, 2012, 7:28 am

ArkieDukie wrote: Relational database? What's that? Is it something that would help a science nerd like me?
I wouldn't be surprised if you're already using one. MS Access and SQL (in all its flavors) are common relational databases. I'm not sure about your statistical packages, but relational databases are everywhere.

The reason I'm learning this from scratch is that I work with qualitative data and there are a few programs developed for managing qualitative data but they tend to be expensive.

I used to keep my "bits of data" on flashcards and hand code them and reshuffle the cards whenever I needed to examine another questions, like "how did speakers talk about someone if they had already talked about them before?" Obviously, this doesn't scale very well as I collect more data. So basically I'm using SQL to hold a giant flashcard collection and letting it sort the cards when I want to see different combinations.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » July 26th, 2012, 7:31 am

DevilAlumna wrote:

Yay, fun!! :happy-bouncyblue:

Databases are awesome. :-B
HAHA. Well, I will say that I probably wouldn't be bravely trying this if my husband weren't a programmer. SQL is very well documented and I can find most answers online, but having him around to do some hand holding and for moral support is huge.

I do think the payoff will be worth it--managing lots of qualitative data can be tricky--but it's steep learning curve for me.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » July 26th, 2012, 9:52 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:Our dinner tonight was BLT'S, deviled eggs and fresh peaches over pound cake and wipe cream. It hit the spot for me. The family was happy. I fed 5 tonight. :)

Yum! All this out of a kitchen that is under remodel! You are amazing! :-BD