Moving Day #1

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Moving Day #1

Post by devildeac » July 8th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Loaded up a 17' truck and 4 cars today to move son and future DIL to Winston-Salem in all-time record tying 105 degree heat (it was also a record setting 6th consecutive day of 100 degree temps or more since WWII when there were 5 recorded days in a row with temps this steamy). Only gonna be 94 tomorrow. Yay!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Moving Day #1

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 8th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Wish I'd known you were coming. I was up in Reynolds Tower most of the day with my mom in her room in your old department.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 8th, 2012, 10:36 pm

I'm glad you've gotten them moved in. Not so glad that you had to do it in this oppressive heat.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 8th, 2012, 10:59 pm

devildeac wrote:Loaded up a 17' truck and 4 cars today to move son and future DIL to Winston-Salem in all-time record tying 105 degree heat (it was also a record setting 6th consecutive day of 100 degree temps or more since WWII when there were 5 recorded days in a row with temps this steamy). Only gonna be 94 tomorrow. Yay!
If that doesn't earn you and Mrs. devildeac best in-laws EVAH! I don't know what will. ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 9th, 2012, 1:07 am

devildeac wrote:Loaded up a 17' truck and 4 cars today to move son and future DIL to Winston-Salem in all-time record tying 105 degree heat (it was also a record setting 6th consecutive day of 100 degree temps or more since WWII when there were 5 recorded days in a row with temps this steamy). Only gonna be 94 tomorrow. Yay!
Ugh! I hope they thanked you with something appropriate for review in the "Ymm, Beer" thread! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 9th, 2012, 7:53 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Wish I'd known you were coming. I was up in Reynolds Tower most of the day with my mom in her room in your old department.
Oooh, should have thought of notifying you. We could have used one more sweltering body. Just kidding as for the loading in Derm, we had Lauren and Matt, Rachel and Jason and the lovely and vivacious (but rather sweaty) Mrs. DD. For the unloading in W-S, Joy's sister and her husband and their 14 year old son joined us, along with an additional 12 bottles of water, 10 Gatorades and a few Sprites.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 9th, 2012, 7:54 am

TillyGalore wrote:
If that doesn't earn you and Mrs. devildeac best in-laws EVAH! I don't know what will. ;)
We got a couple anniversary wishes for our efforts as we celebrated #34 loading and unloading the truck and cars.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 9th, 2012, 7:57 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
Ugh! I hope they thanked you with something appropriate for review in the "Ymm, Beer" thread! ;)
We got a loaded chicken fajita burrito with a chicken guacamole salad from Chipotle mid-afternoon. And all the water and Gatorade (that we provided) we could drink. I did have a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IIPA last PM after my extended shower.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 9th, 2012, 8:04 am

devildeac wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Wish I'd known you were coming. I was up in Reynolds Tower most of the day with my mom in her room in your old department.
Oooh, should have thought of notifying you. We could have used one more sweltering body. Just kidding as for the loading in Derm, we had Lauren and Matt, Rachel and Jason and the lovely and vivacious (but rather sweaty) Mrs. DD. For the unloading in W-S, Joy's sister and her husband and their 14 year old son joined us, along with an additional 12 bottles of water, 10 Gatorades and a few Sprites.
I have been spending the past several days at Wake Forest Baptist Health with my mother who's been in the Cardiac Care Unit since an admit from ER on Wednesday. Had I known you were in town, you might have been called on to give a second opinion!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 9th, 2012, 9:01 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
devildeac wrote:
I have been spending the past several days at Wake Forest Baptist Health with my mother who's been in the Cardiac Care Unit since an admit from ER on Wednesday. Had I known you were in town, you might have been called on to give a second opinion!
HA! Not likely as they have a darn good cardiology section at WF Baptist Medical Center and they probably would not take too kindly to some ne'er-do-well from Raleigh interfering with her fine care. Hope she's progressing/recovering well.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 9th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Vibes and prayers from Efland coming to your mom, you and all your family. I do hope she does well DIABD. :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

DD, Mrs. DD, and all the rest of your crew, please be careful in this heat. :ymhug:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 9th, 2012, 11:29 pm

When you come to OH to help me move, we'll need a bigger truck. And it will likely be under 100F. We rarely see those kinds of numbers up here.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2012, 12:22 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
When you come to OH to help me move, we'll need a bigger truck. And it will likely be under 100F. We rarely see those kinds of numbers up here.
=)) =))

I'm hoping your new company will re-imburse you for your move. Hope it's far cooler than NC but the Texas temps should be rather unpleasant, too, unfortunately.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 12th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Yeah, they are paying for everything. Looks like early August for a move date.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 12th, 2012, 10:14 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Yeah, they are paying for everything. Looks like early August for a move date.
When we moved to California, ExLax's new company paid for our move. We had packers, movers, the whole nine yards, which is a good thing because I had two little ones at home. I supervised, but I couldn't have handled all of the moving on my own. ExLax went out to California six weeks ahead of me and left me back in NC to ship cars, supervise the packers and movers and finish selling the house.

Anywho, we had a party for our Raleigh friends shortly before we moved to San Jose. We had an old diaper pail on the back porch that we used for recycling. Months later in San Jose when I was opening up boxes in the garage, I opened one which contained the old diaper pail, full of empty beer cans from our party. Those packers and movers even packed and moved our trash!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 13th, 2012, 9:08 am

CathyCA wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Yeah, they are paying for everything. Looks like early August for a move date.
When we moved to California, ExLax's new company paid for our move. We had packers, movers, the whole nine yards, which is a good thing because I had two little ones at home. I supervised, but I couldn't have handled all of the moving on my own. ExLax went out to California six weeks ahead of me and left me back in NC to ship cars, supervise the packers and movers and finish selling the house.

Anywho, we had a party for our Raleigh friends shortly before we moved to San Jose. We had an old diaper pail on the back porch that we used for recycling. Months later in San Jose when I was opening up boxes in the garage, I opened one which contained the old diaper pail, full of empty beer cans from our party. Those packers and movers even packed and moved our trash!

The movers got paid by the pound! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 13th, 2012, 3:42 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

The movers got paid by the pound! :D
And the packers got paid by the box.

True story. The packers actually unpacked things that were boxed up in my attic and put them in new boxes because they got paid by the box.

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 15th, 2012, 7:34 pm

I've got a lot of old boxes with stuff from my childhood, we're talking 35 year old boxes. Maybe it would be better if they repacked them.
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » July 15th, 2012, 9:14 pm

If you need a reference for shipping cars, I've shipped 3 cars with autozipper and have been really pleased with the price and service. Getting a minivan from Durham to Austin was ~$750 if I remember correctly.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 15th, 2012, 11:32 pm

When we were moving from Va. Beach to Durham, the packers packed our dinner. I unpacked it in Durham.