LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 10th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Turk wrote:
devildeac wrote:Creepy internet guys don't drive an A4, do they? ;)
oooh that's a good question. What do they drive?

1. Nothing - they take the bus if they have to go anywhere.
2. Some sort of rusted-out Detroit sled so old the engine has a carburetor.
3. Something with a diesel engine

Poll time!! Paging EJ!!
^^^^3000th LTE post^^^^
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » July 10th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Are creepy internet guys the only ones who notice when post counts land on multiples of 1000? Hmmm....
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 10th, 2009, 6:48 pm

Don't know about the rest of you, but I've had a week. I'll call this my "I hate Microsoft" post. Sorry, DA!

We found out about a month ago that the software package that is critical to our lab's work was being sold to Micosoft. We were a bit nervous about what this would mean, and we found out this week via a nice little form letter. New sales of the software package are ceasing immediately, which stops us from buying the additional licenses that we REALLY need. As an added bonus, tech support is being outsourced starting in September and then completely goes away in Sept. 2011. Our guess is that "outsourcing" means that tech support will be handled in a non English speaking country by people who don't know how to operate the software. So, basically, we put a lot of money into purchasing software and extra support for software that's going away because Microsoft wants to squelch another software package that the same company has (not the one we use). Additionally, the people who handle most of our questions, the ones who set up Webex sessions with us at the drop of a hat to help us with any difficulties we may encounter, are being laid off. AARGH!

Off to TGIF...
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » July 10th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Does MSFT have a competing package?
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 10th, 2009, 9:43 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Don't know about the rest of you, but I've had a week. I'll call this my "I hate Microsoft" post. Sorry, DA!

We found out about a month ago that the software package that is critical to our lab's work was being sold to Micosoft. We were a bit nervous about what this would mean, and we found out this week via a nice little form letter. New sales of the software package are ceasing immediately, which stops us from buying the additional licenses that we REALLY need. As an added bonus, tech support is being outsourced starting in September and then completely goes away in Sept. 2011. Our guess is that "outsourcing" means that tech support will be handled in a non English speaking country by people who don't know how to operate the software. So, basically, we put a lot of money into purchasing software and extra support for software that's going away because Microsoft wants to squelch another software package that the same company has (not the one we use). Additionally, the people who handle most of our questions, the ones who set up Webex sessions with us at the drop of a hat to help us with any difficulties we may encounter, are being laid off. AARGH!

Off to TGIF...
No worries, AD - it's a huge company; beyond a general understanding that MSFt is interested in moving into the Life Sciences software arena, I don't know anything about that part of things.

Sorry the company that is getting bought up is unable to provide better transitional support. I'd say forget about paying for the extra licenses (what are they gonna do, sue?) and find yourself the expert in house who can provide ad-hoc support. If your office has any higher-level ties to the company itself, maybe someone can arrange a "developer on retainer" contract where someone left at the company is able to answer questions/provide support for a set amount of time. Or see if one of those soon-to-be-laid-off folks would be willing to provide support as a consultant?
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 10th, 2009, 9:53 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Don't know about the rest of you, but I've had a week. I'll call this my "I hate Microsoft" post. Sorry, DA!
BTW, if it makes you feel any better, I'm having a "I hate MSFT" day as well.

My group has been trying to figure out our next moves for about the past year. Last August, we thought we had a pretty good handle on what we were going to build for our next version. The numbers were good, the prototypes were being developed, life was good. Let's call this Plan A.

Then, we were given a direction to tie in more closely with a MAJOR msft product. Re-align with them, combine with some other services. It would make for a better story. Okay, fine, probably better for the customer (though not our original customer base/focus), good. Plan B - Re-do the prototypes, start running new numbers. This was Oct.-Dec.

January - cost-cuttings, eliminate duplicate work - your team needs to align with this other major product. A much better fit, reduces some redundancies. Well, no, not really, but okay - Plan C on prototyping, figuring out how the hell this works now, etc. Jan - March.

March - well, half the team keeps marching down the january path, but the rest of us actually do something much different, and gosh, that is a pretty compelling and unique service, so maybe we should put it in this other group. Reorg. Dig out some of the original Plan A work, but with a different look and feel.

Yesterday - we were told the Ballmer-level strategy review from Monday has now essentially put us back into Plan B mode. ARGH!! :-t

Oh, and throughout it all, our ship date hasn't changed at all. x_x

I'm trying not to think about it, by having a delish Red Hook Brewery seasonal offering, in the sunshine of my back patio.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 10th, 2009, 10:07 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Yesterday - we were told the Ballmer-level strategy review from Monday has now essentially put us back into Plan B mode. ARGH!! :-t

I'm trying not to think about it, by having a delish Red Hook Brewery seasonal offering, in the sunshine of my back patio.
... and that's why they pay you the big bucks!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2009, 11:11 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:I saw Coach K on here tonight. What the hell is he doing here? Doesn't he have better things to do like signing recruits AND coaching Team USA for another 3-4 years? :roll: (putting on flame retardant outerwear now...)
He was removing "new members". L-)
And a job well done ^:)^ :-bd
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 11th, 2009, 12:03 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Does MSFT have a competing package?
Not for the software we use. However, my understanding is that MSFT is developing a product that would compete with one or more of the company's other software packages. Annoyingly, this particular company was a fully owned subsidiary of a major pharmaceutical company. Major Pharmaceutical Company X arranged, as part of the deal, to keep full technical support. They also got to hand-pick personnel from their former software company that they wanted to keep for that purpose. Of course, that leaves the other 100 or so users (including the Duke equivalent of our lab at Wash U) out in the cold. Nice, right?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 11th, 2009, 12:10 am

DevilAlumna wrote:No worries, AD - it's a huge company; beyond a general understanding that MSFt is interested in moving into the Life Sciences software arena, I don't know anything about that part of things.

Sorry the company that is getting bought up is unable to provide better transitional support. I'd say forget about paying for the extra licenses (what are they gonna do, sue?) and find yourself the expert in house who can provide ad-hoc support. If your office has any higher-level ties to the company itself, maybe someone can arrange a "developer on retainer" contract where someone left at the company is able to answer questions/provide support for a set amount of time. Or see if one of those soon-to-be-laid-off folks would be willing to provide support as a consultant?
Well, unfortunately, Microsoft takes over the company on Sept. 1. That's when our support goes bye-bye. The problem with extra copies is that we have a limited number of licenses - no additional users can log on once we've exceeded our number of licenses. We were all set to get at least 2 more licenses when everything went south for us. I think we're going down the avenue of trying to get someone who's going to be unemployed as of Sept 1. Maybe he could arrange things so we could log on to more than our set number of copies. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 11th, 2009, 12:16 am

DevilAlumna wrote:BTW, if it makes you feel any better, I'm having a "I hate MSFT" day as well.

My group has been trying to figure out our next moves for about the past year. Last August, we thought we had a pretty good handle on what we were going to build for our next version. The numbers were good, the prototypes were being developed, life was good. Let's call this Plan A.

Then, we were given a direction to tie in more closely with a MAJOR msft product. Re-align with them, combine with some other services. It would make for a better story. Okay, fine, probably better for the customer (though not our original customer base/focus), good. Plan B - Re-do the prototypes, start running new numbers. This was Oct.-Dec.

January - cost-cuttings, eliminate duplicate work - your team needs to align with this other major product. A much better fit, reduces some redundancies. Well, no, not really, but okay - Plan C on prototyping, figuring out how the hell this works now, etc. Jan - March.

March - well, half the team keeps marching down the january path, but the rest of us actually do something much different, and gosh, that is a pretty compelling and unique service, so maybe we should put it in this other group. Reorg. Dig out some of the original Plan A work, but with a different look and feel.

Sorry; DA. There are few things more annoying than having someone above you keep changing paths on you. Beer is a great strategy. I chose the wine strategy myself. :)
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 11th, 2009, 10:05 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Not for the software we use. However, my understanding is that MSFT is developing a product that would compete with one or more of the company's other software packages. Annoyingly, this particular company was a fully owned subsidiary of a major pharmaceutical company. Major Pharmaceutical Company X arranged, as part of the deal, to keep full technical support. They also got to hand-pick personnel from their former software company that they wanted to keep for that purpose. Of course, that leaves the other 100 or so users (including the Duke equivalent of our lab at Wash U) out in the cold. Nice, right?
Interesting, I've always heard of the buy and close strategy in business but this is the first I can recall of it really being used. It seems odd if they have no competing product lines that they would do that. But then, I'm sure there is an Excel jockey out there(I've had to do a lot of it lately myself) that can justify the move in a spreadsheet.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 11th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Why is this place so fucking dead today?!?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 11th, 2009, 1:26 pm

colchar wrote:Why is this place so fucking dead today?!?
I, for one, was still asleep when you posted this. I love sleeping in on Saturday mornings.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 11th, 2009, 1:31 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Interesting, I've always heard of the buy and close strategy in business but this is the first I can recall of it really being used. It seems odd if they have no competing product lines that they would do that. But then, I'm sure there is an Excel jockey out there(I've had to do a lot of it lately myself) that can justify the move in a spreadsheet.
Not usually a MSFT strategy - buy to stop the competition. What's more likely is that this acquired company has some intellectual property that they found cheaper to purchase than to license; or they have great software engineers/market experts that are needed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 11th, 2009, 1:50 pm

colchar wrote:Why is this place so fucking dead today?!?
It's beautiful outside here.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Turk wrote:
devildeac wrote:Creepy internet guys don't drive an A4, do they? ;)
oooh that's a good question. What do they drive?

1. Nothing - they take the bus if they have to go anywhere.
2. Some sort of rusted-out Detroit sled so old the engine has a carburetor.
3. Something with a diesel engine

Poll time!! Paging EJ!!
4. They crawl out of the basement every once in a while and borrow a car from their parents.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 11th, 2009, 4:18 pm

I'm playing with the new DVR - which I finally broke down and picked up. (Old cable box quit working so I was forced into it.)

Time to finish laundry so I can pack for the mission trip. We leave at 0 dark 30 tomorrow - vacation with other people's teenagers. I know how to have a good time! :D

I joke - the kids are really great and I anticipate a funfilled and rewarding week. Plus I get to look forward to a trip to the beach and meeting my non-creepy internet friends. :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: \:D/
Life is good!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » July 11th, 2009, 5:40 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I'm playing with the new DVR - which I finally broke down and picked up. (Old cable box quit working so I was forced into it.)

Time to finish laundry so I can pack for the mission trip. We leave at 0 dark 30 tomorrow - vacation with other people's teenagers. I know how to have a good time! :D

I joke - the kids are really great and I anticipate a funfilled and rewarding week. Plus I get to look forward to a trip to the beach and meeting my non-creepy internet friends. :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: \:D/
Me too!! Stevo will likely be headed to Kerr Lake to hang out with my folks that weekend and finally get to use his boat for the first time this summer. I think the thought of all us Duke girls scares him. Besides, he realizes a girls weekend is no place for XX chromosome-types :lol:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 6:23 pm

Boy...I must have needed a nap worse than I though I did, because I just slept for a solid three hours.