Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 26th, 2012, 10:09 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:My realtor wants to lower the list price on my condo to an amount that's below what I paid for it. :( 10 units have sold in my neighborhood, all for well above my current list price in terms of price per square foot. I do not understand the logic at all - unless there's actually a better market for smaller places? Why else would 1 bedroom units sell for $150/sq ft and my 2 bedroom unit be considered overpriced at $100/sq ft?

I'm thinking that, since the price is dropping, the fridge, washer and dryer will no longer be included.
You might suggest to your realtor that rather than drop the price it's time to change realtors... No way should your place be 2/3s the price per sq. ft. of 1 BR units.
She did just send me a list of all units sold in my neighborhood. I should identify the listing agents and contact them. :ymdevil:
Now you're putting that Duke edumacation to work again! :D B-) That's exactly what I would do. When is your exclusive listing period with him/her up? 6 months?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 26th, 2012, 10:15 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Now you're putting that Duke edumacation to work again! :D B-) That's exactly what I would do. When is your exclusive listing period with him/her up? 6 months?
That sounds about right. I need to take a look at my contract and see. It seems to me that she's not doing her job very well. There have been maybe 10 people who have looked at my condo. Strangely, everyone thinks it's overpriced. Again, why am I overpriced at $100/sq foot when smaller units priced at $150/sq ft are selling like hotcakes? Seriously, I'd love an answer to this question.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 26th, 2012, 11:20 pm

AK, it makes no sense to me. What have the 2 bedroom ones been selling for? When does the contract with this realtor expire? If I was in your place, I would get another realtor asap. If that's what you want to do, make sure you give notice to the realtor in plenty of time. Find one that doesn't want you to lower the price so he/she can hurry up and get the commission. Realtors can be really great. I hope you find the one that's for you. Good luck. I hope you get the best price.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » June 26th, 2012, 11:38 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Now you're putting that Duke edumacation to work again! :D B-) That's exactly what I would do. When is your exclusive listing period with him/her up? 6 months?
That sounds about right. I need to take a look at my contract and see. It seems to me that she's not doing her job very well. There have been maybe 10 people who have looked at my condo. Strangely, everyone thinks it's overpriced. Again, why am I overpriced at $100/sq foot when smaller units priced at $150/sq ft are selling like hotcakes? Seriously, I'd love an answer to this question.
If I had to guess, it's more to do with the purchasing audience. Chances are, someone looking to buy a 1BR condo is single, (or a childless couple) who wants to own vs. rent, but definitely is on a budget for total cost. There's probably a fair number of these people looking for 1BRs.

The pool of people who can afford a 2BR condo but don't want a house, is probably much smaller.

This variation in demand might explain the relative pricing discrepancy.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 27th, 2012, 6:47 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
If I had to guess, it's more to do with the purchasing audience. Chances are, someone looking to buy a 1BR condo is single, (or a childless couple) who wants to own vs. rent, but definitely is on a budget for total cost. There's probably a fair number of these people looking for 1BRs.

The pool of people who can afford a 2BR condo but don't want a house, is probably much smaller.

This variation in demand might explain the relative pricing discrepancy.
Yeah, I think you're right. Crazy thing is, the location is really pretty good for the small pool of people who would want such a place - unless most of the people in that pool want to be in the middle of the action rather than in a fairly quiet neighborhood that's convenient to public transportation.

With that being said, from my side of things it doesn't look like my realtor is doing much to help my cause. She keeps pushing me to rent it out rather than sell it. I really don't know how many different ways I can tell her that I do not want to rent; I want to sell. I asked before listing if there was anything I could do to help it sell more quickly - like staging or painting (it's all white now). She said no. I've asked this same question again and did not receive an answer. In my mind this shows that I'm willing to do what it takes to make my place more attractive to future buyers. This would help her make a commission. Why isn't she willing to work with me on this? Maybe I need to tell my story to one of those shows on HGTV that helps people sell their houses.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 27th, 2012, 11:41 am

Arkie: My guess is that you're in the midst of the big season for getting condos in that area, as people moving to WashU/Barnes are looking intensely before the start of the academic year. First year med school students will lowball you. Undergrads and grads will lowball you, regardless of how good your place is; incoming faculty/researchers will probably meet your price, or go just a little below your target.

Personally, I'm a big fan of staging, but that's just me. I don't know the St. Louis market.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 27th, 2012, 1:13 pm

Lavabe wrote:Arkie: My guess is that you're in the midst of the big season for getting condos in that area, as people moving to WashU/Barnes are looking intensely before the start of the academic year. First year med school students will lowball you. Undergrads and grads will lowball you, regardless of how good your place is; incoming faculty/researchers will probably meet your price, or go just a little below your target.

Personally, I'm a big fan of staging, but that's just me. I don't know the St. Louis market.
Staging worked for us, too. We spent 6 weeks getting our CA house ready to put it on the market (per the interior decorator's instructions--I HATED what she told us to do), and we had two offers on it within 5 days.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 27th, 2012, 7:00 pm

My stepdaughter informed us that she wanted to watch the July 4 fireworks on TV from Hong Kong. :-o :doh:

She missed a really good chance to be a dumb blonde by having auburn hair.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 27th, 2012, 8:01 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:My stepdaughter informed us that she wanted to watch the July 4 fireworks on TV from Hong Kong. :-o :doh:

More grammatical humor. :))

Phunnie.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 27th, 2012, 8:27 pm

captmojo wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:My stepdaughter informed us that she wanted to watch the July 4 fireworks on TV from Hong Kong. :-o :doh:

More grammatical humor. :))

Phunnie.
Perhaps I could send her to visit Colchar and convince her that Canadians celebrate July 4 three days early.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 27th, 2012, 9:56 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
I just looked at the contract with my current realtor. It expires in early August. I'm going to start evaluating my options now. I sent a question yesterday in which I asked, yet again, about staging. The clock is ticking - no answer.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 27th, 2012, 10:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:Arkie: My guess is that you're in the midst of the big season for getting condos in that area, as people moving to WashU/Barnes are looking intensely before the start of the academic year. First year med school students will lowball you. Undergrads and grads will lowball you, regardless of how good your place is; incoming faculty/researchers will probably meet your price, or go just a little below your target.

Staging worked for me selling the house in Kenansville. It wasn't hard to do.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 27th, 2012, 10:53 pm

I had a wonderful visit in Kenansville. I not only had a nice visit with my grandson Max and our daughter and son in law, but also spent a lot of time with Dawn's mother in law, Ann. She's getting a pacemaker on the third. Ann is 85. I think the world of her. I also visited with my very good friend, Mae for 2 1/2 hours. She is very sick. She has been on morphine for several weeks. She takes it about very 2 hours. Other wise, her pain would be horrific. Mae is 83. She wont' be with us much longer with is a blessing for Mae. Today, she was in good spirits. One of her daughters found a chase lounge for the screen porch. Mae was able to spend yesterday and today on the chair, enjoying hearing the birds and seeing her flowers. Her house is on the golf course. Her 19 year only grandson played golf today. May loved seeing him play by her house. I will miss her so much but will celebrate her life and be happy she is no longer hurting. I do love Mae. She's very special to me. :ymhug: :ymhug:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 27th, 2012, 11:29 pm

I don't recommend a serious case of poison ivy...
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 28th, 2012, 1:38 am

Paging Colchar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBI68Il4Zsc&sns=fb

As one of my friends said about this, it's pretty amazing what you can do if you drink enough beer. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 28th, 2012, 8:34 am

DevilAlumna wrote:Paging Colchar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBI68Il4Zsc&sns=fb

As one of my friends said about this, it's pretty amazing what you can do if you drink enough beer. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Recycling at it's finest! Some folks just have all the talent! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 28th, 2012, 9:14 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:I had a wonderful visit in Kenansville. I not only had a nice visit with my grandson Max and our daughter and son in law, but also spent a lot of time with Dawn's mother in law, Ann. She's getting a pacemaker on the third. Ann is 85. I think the world of her. I also visited with my very good friend, Mae for 2 1/2 hours. She is very sick. She has been on morphine for several weeks. She takes it about very 2 hours. Other wise, her pain would be horrific. Mae is 83. She wont' be with us much longer with is a blessing for Mae. Today, she was in good spirits. One of her daughters found a chase lounge for the screen porch. Mae was able to spend yesterday and today on the chair, enjoying hearing the birds and seeing her flowers. Her house is on the golf course. Her 19 year only grandson played golf today. May loved seeing him play by her house. I will miss her so much but will celebrate her life and be happy she is no longer hurting. I do love Mae. She's very special to me. :ymhug: :ymhug:

Ann and Mae (and lots of other people) are so blessed to have YOU as their friend, Nancy!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 28th, 2012, 9:42 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I don't recommend a serious case of poison ivy...
Will this distract you enough to give up your lead in NASCAR fantasy league? ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 28th, 2012, 9:43 am

CathyCA wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I had a wonderful visit in Kenansville. I not only had a nice visit with my grandson Max and our daughter and son in law, but also spent a lot of time with Dawn's mother in law, Ann. She's getting a pacemaker on the third. Ann is 85. I think the world of her. I also visited with my very good friend, Mae for 2 1/2 hours. She is very sick. She has been on morphine for several weeks. She takes it about very 2 hours. Other wise, her pain would be horrific. Mae is 83. She wont' be with us much longer with is a blessing for Mae. Today, she was in good spirits. One of her daughters found a chase lounge for the screen porch. Mae was able to spend yesterday and today on the chair, enjoying hearing the birds and seeing her flowers. Her house is on the golf course. Her 19 year only grandson played golf today. May loved seeing him play by her house. I will miss her so much but will celebrate her life and be happy she is no longer hurting. I do love Mae. She's very special to me. :ymhug: :ymhug:

Ann and Mae (and lots of other people) are so blessed to have YOU as their friend, Nancy!

Thank you Caty. I feel the same about you. :ymhug:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 29th, 2012, 10:59 pm

The asshat neighbors are moving! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein