The Official "Good Morning" Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: The Official "Good Morning" Thread

Post by Lavabe » June 16th, 2012, 3:34 pm

CathyCA wrote:Good morning from Durham!

My plans today include going shopping for tools and snacks for our mission trip to WV, which begins tomorrow. I'm also going to take Christian by an area campus which shall not be named--maybe for a tour, but definitely for a look-see. Pray for me that I will not utter any snarky remarks or roll my eyes.

:9f:
How many rolling eyes did you make?
8-| 8-| 8-|

You know... we should have a dedicated SNARK thread... hmm... come to think of it...
:ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 16th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Good morning from Durham!

I'm taking my Christian to an admissions seminar at Duke today. I think the true purpose of the seminar is to dash permanently the hopes of alumni/ae that our children could EVER gain admission to Duke. I so excited to be back on campus!

Good morfertoon (... well, you know what I mean).
The Wash U one we went to earlier this month left me very encouraged about our daughter and her chances of admission wherever she decides to apply. Legacy Lady is taking her time, and is developing a list of schools she may be interested in. The seminar disspelled a lot of uncertainty and questions that had been developing.

Was the Duke seminar useful?
It was very helpful. I would recommend it to any Duke alum who has a kid interested in thinking about Duke. The best part of the seminar was Duke's method of getting me to focus on places other than Duke for my kid. There is this little (okay, it's HUGE) part of me that wants my baby to be the 4th generation in our family to matriculate to Duke. I need to be able to wrap my head around the fact that statistically, it's more likely than not that he will not be admitted to Duke.

We went over to that campus which shall not be named today. He liked it. "I can't believe you've kept me away from this town for 15 years, Mom," Christian said to me.

I really am trying to keep an open mind. I said very nice things about that other school, and I'm going to try to set up an on-campus visit for him sometime next year. I think it might be a good idea for him to go and stay with a friend on campus and then go to a class or two. I'd like for Christian to do the same thing at other schools, including Duke. I think it might be a bit early to do a campus visit in his sophomore year. We will wait until he's a junior to do these on-campus visits.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 16th, 2012, 5:04 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
It was very helpful. I would recommend it to any Duke alum who has a kid interested in thinking about Duke. The best part of the seminar was Duke's method of getting me to focus on places other than Duke for my kid. There is this little (okay, it's HUGE) part of me that wants my baby to be the 4th generation in our family to matriculate to Duke. I need to be able to wrap my head around the fact that statistically, it's more likely than not that he will not be admitted to Duke.

We went over to that campus which shall not be named today. He liked it. "I can't believe you've kept me away from this town for 15 years, Mom," Christian said to me.

I really am trying to keep an open mind. I said very nice things about that other school, and I'm going to try to set up an on-campus visit for him sometime next year. I think it might be a good idea for him to go and stay with a friend on campus and then go to a class or two. I'd like for Christian to do the same thing at other schools, including Duke. I think it might be a bit early to do a campus visit in his sophomore year. We will wait until he's a junior to do these on-campus visits.

To be fair and from any parent's perspective, it's very hard to look away from the "other school", unless your kid is planning on taking African Studies, you will have a very hard time beating the cost for the value of the education.
That being said, GTHC. :9f:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 16th, 2012, 6:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

To be fair and from any parent's perspective, it's very hard to look away from the "other school", unless your kid is planning on taking African Studies, you will have a very hard time beating the cost for the value of the education.
That being said, GTHC. :9f:
A B C You can get a great edumacation at NC State, or at Appy, or Charlotte in any number of disciplines, from engineering to the sciences to teaching and more. But learn your alphabet - it starts with ABC. :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 17th, 2012, 7:25 am

Good morning!

We're heading out to West Virginia today. We'll meet the kids from California in Richmond later this morning and then drive over to Flatwoods for a week of building. Flatwoods. What an interesting name for a town in WV. I'll be there is nothing flat about that town, except the economy.

We covet your vibes, good thoughts and prayers.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukeForester
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by DukeForester » June 17th, 2012, 8:13 am

Good Morning All. ~O)

Only thing going on today is to shop for some 40th b'day gifts for our daughter. Mrs DF wants to go to Spencers so you know what kind of gifts she is planning on getting. A t shirt or hat that announces to the world that she is older than dirt would work for me. :))
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 17th, 2012, 10:17 am

Good morning from Tucson and take my advice....don't come here in June unless your Dad lives here and it's Father's Day and his 92nd BD. My best excuse and am thrilled to be able to spend this Father Days with my 92 year old Dad - special guy he is! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 17th, 2012, 10:33 am

Good morning! As my Dad used to say, "All my chickens are here in the roost!" And they've wished me a Happy Father's Day! What could be better? Well, we head to HHI on vacation later today if we ever get packed and loaded up. ~O)

Happy Fathers Day to all!

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 17th, 2012, 11:40 am

Good morning. Bud is enjoying his day. He's busy doing things, as usual. This evening, we're going to Dana's for dinner. :happy-bouncyblue:
DukeForester
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by DukeForester » June 18th, 2012, 5:50 am

Good Morning. It is way too early. ~O)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 18th, 2012, 8:06 am

Good morning, I want another hour of sleep. ~O)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 18th, 2012, 8:34 am

Good morning. I'm loving this cool morning. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 18th, 2012, 9:30 am

Harumph. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 18th, 2012, 9:53 am

Good morning. From HHI. ~O)

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 18th, 2012, 10:31 am

Good Morning!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » June 18th, 2012, 11:10 am

Good morning! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 19th, 2012, 8:04 am

Good morning. Still at HHI! ~O) :happy-bouncyblue:

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 19th, 2012, 8:53 am

Good morning. Smokey drive today; Croatan national forest has a fire about 8,000 acres.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 19th, 2012, 9:01 am

Good morning. It's hot already...yuk.
Miles

Post by Miles » June 19th, 2012, 9:12 am

Good Morning. The week is winding down, and I've got four days to go. Looking forward to the new job.
sMiles