Moving On

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Moving On

Post by windsor » May 30th, 2012, 8:03 am

As a developer myself, I understand you situation more than you know! Been there, lived that!

I'm in the market for a new gig myself, since I am not thrilled with the direction my department is headed. It doesn't suck but my position is going to morph into a job I really don't want...and our IT department continues to embrace outsourcing as the long term plan so it is time to begin to look. I will say it is much less stressful to look for a job when you have one you don't hate (yet). I will be very picky.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 31st, 2012, 12:29 am

Miles,

It's totally understandable why today was hard for you. I remember your messages from around the time you moved back to Charlotte, and it sounded like you really liked your direct boss, your work, the company. IIRC, you've been there for a LONG time, so there's definitely a sense of loss, of grieving, to be expected.

That said, I sense that by June 22nd, you'll be skipping with joy as you wrap up your last meetings (I was going to say, as you leave the building, but since you WFH...) as you will have mentally transitioned away in that month, and will be embracing the new challenges ahead. Congrats, I say, and am sending you a big hug from the left coast on your new gig!

:ymhug:
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » May 31st, 2012, 12:29 am

Miles,

It's totally understandable why today was hard for you. I remember your messages from around the time you moved back to Charlotte, and it sounded like you really liked your direct boss, your work, the company. IIRC, you've been there for a LONG time, so there's definitely a sense of loss, of grieving, to be expected.

That said, I sense that by June 22nd, you'll be skipping with joy as you wrap up your last meetings (I was going to say, as you leave the building, but since you WFH...) as you will have mentally transitioned away in that month, and will be embracing the new challenges ahead. Congrats, I say, and am sending you a big hug from the left coast on your new gig!

:ymhug:
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » May 31st, 2012, 12:33 am

windsor wrote:As a developer myself, I understand you situation more than you know! Been there, lived that!

I'm in the market for a new gig myself, since I am not thrilled with the direction my department is headed. It doesn't suck but my position is going to morph into a job I really don't want...and our IT department continues to embrace outsourcing as the long term plan so it is time to begin to look. I will say it is much less stressful to look for a job when you have one you don't hate (yet). I will be very picky.
Good luck with your job hunt! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 31st, 2012, 9:17 am

windsor wrote:As a developer myself, I understand you situation more than you know! Been there, lived that!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: in your job search, Windsor!
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » May 31st, 2012, 9:35 am

Happy hunting - know you'll be successful! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » May 31st, 2012, 2:42 pm

I have some lyrics stuck in my head but can't place the song. They are based on the title of this thread. Sorry, a bit off topic...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 31st, 2012, 3:04 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I have some lyrics stuck in my head but can't place the song. They are based on the title of this thread. Sorry, a bit off topic...

I don't know what lyrics you thought of, but I, being and old fart, thought of

"Movin' on is a chance that you have to take
Any time you try to stay - together"

Say Good Bye to Hollywood, Billy Joel
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2012, 3:22 pm

Or maybe these lyrics:

"And it seems such a waste of time

If that's what it's all about

Mama if that's movin up then I'm movin out"

Maybe not quite "moving on" but with the same theme. That's the chorus from Movin' Out/Anthony's Song by Billy Joel, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 1st, 2012, 12:29 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I have some lyrics stuck in my head but can't place the song. They are based on the title of this thread. Sorry, a bit off topic...
Moving on up - to the East Side

Good luck with the job search, Windsor.
Life is good!
Miles

Post by Miles » June 1st, 2012, 7:07 am

I hope you can find a job that makes you happy windsor. I think that I've been holding onto a lost dream for the past five years. Part of me just couldn't let go of the things i wanted to accomplish, and what I wanted our product to become. I always knew that my boss wasn't the right president for the job, but I thought I could affect enough change to keep us on the right track, or to balance out some of his decisions. Maybe I was wrong. Right or wrong, I'm just tired of swimming against the current, I want to go with a the flow for a while. That'll never be easy in QA, but at least this team is begging the owner for a manager. It's nice to be wanted and to have everyone saying 'we want your skills'.'

Good luck!
sMiles
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 1st, 2012, 7:41 pm

The last song I heard is still 'wormin' in my head.
"Stoned, Drunk and Naked" by Anders Osborne won't be much of an inspiration for leaving your current situation.
:twitch:

Hey! Maybe you can talk new boss into taking up the idea of developing an Ugly Santa Face destruction device! :D

Seriously, best of fortune to you.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » June 4th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Maybe we should call this the "disgruntled IT" thread. I've been doing the PM / scrum-master thing for a while and I think I've peaked - it's the "same old / same old" and Mrs. Turk has noticed I'm not having fun anymore. If I'm not fooling her, then pretty soon I won't be fooling anyone at work. So I'm thinking I'll start looking for another gig (maybe contract / consulting work - probably the last time I had fun), and also find some time to get more hands-on and play with some code again. I kinda put that away when I started chasing all these young Turks around...

P.S. Congrats to Miles and good luck to Windsor!
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 4th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Vibes to windsor and turk! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 5th, 2012, 10:17 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Vibes to windsor and turk! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
QFE!
Iron Duke #1471997.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » June 5th, 2012, 1:06 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Vibes to windsor and turk! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Hear, hear!!

As I mentioned a while back, my husband has been super happy at his workplace. If you know anyone able to relocate to Austin, it's been a great couple years for him.

http://www.intific.com/index.php/careers
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 13th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Just a bit of an job hunt update. I saw a position open at another healthcare company. The gig sounded interesting so I fired off a resume. The team I would be part of is all over the country-I would be the only one in FL. 4 phone interviews done - Skype with the person I'd report to is tomorrow. I have already spoken to her once but apparently they have to do a face to face before they hire. I was given the option of Skype or having her fly in. I would say it is looking pretty good.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 13th, 2012, 8:19 pm

windsor wrote:Just a bit of an job hunt update. I saw a position open at another healthcare company. The gig sounded interesting so I fired off a resume. The team I would be part of is all over the country-I would be the only one in FL. 4 phone interviews done - Skype with the person I'd report to is tomorrow. I have already spoken to her once but apparently they have to do a face to face before they hire. I was given the option of Skype or having her fly in. I would say it is looking pretty good.
Cool! B-) Knock her dead! I know you will! :D }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 13th, 2012, 9:24 pm

windsor wrote:Just a bit of an job hunt update. I saw a position open at another healthcare company. The gig sounded interesting so I fired off a resume. The team I would be part of is all over the country-I would be the only one in FL. 4 phone interviews done - Skype with the person I'd report to is tomorrow. I have already spoken to her once but apparently they have to do a face to face before they hire. I was given the option of Skype or having her fly in. I would say it is looking pretty good.
Woo-hooooooooo!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 13th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Go Windsor!!!!! Job vibes from the Varnish Zone from all the Lawgrads, including Merlin and Sasha, who know and love a dog lover when they meet one, even if it's online. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :O3 :O3 :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.