Moving On

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Moving On

Post by Miles » May 29th, 2012, 10:39 am

I just turned in my resignation, effective June 22nd. I know I'll get over this soon, but right now I feel terrible; my boss just said "I am devastated."
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Moving On

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 29th, 2012, 10:59 am

Hopefully it was for a better opportunity, but if not...then it is still for a better opportunity. :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 29th, 2012, 11:10 am

"Closing time. Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

Best of luck in your new beginning!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2012, 11:49 am

Stunning news. I thought/knew you were working lots of long hours but that they were rewarding. Did your boss sense/feel/know it was coming? Best of luck.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 29th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Like Cathy, I always say "NEW BEGINNINGS".

Perhaps the BOSS is devasted, because you did such a GREAT job and now the BOSS will have to step it up with their responsibilities and make a new hire or delegate your responsibilities to others.

The best to your new venture in your career.

You gave almost a month's notice.

There is a little book called "WHO MOVED MY CHEESE"

Miles, you took your cheese and you are Moving On!! The best to you! :happy-bouncyblue: :Clap: :Clap: You have to be the leader of your own home and destiny. I applaud you! :Clap:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 29th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Miles, all the best to you in your move. Vibes for new opportunities. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 29th, 2012, 3:05 pm

OMG Miles!! I hope all is well!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Miles

Post by Miles » May 29th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support and kind words.

We have all been putting in a lot of long hours since a few guys left at the end of last year. The company has begun to show signs of prosperity, and all of the hard work is just starting to pay off. Even with all of the new success, I've just not been satisfied with the experience anymore. I love these guys, and we've formed a tight team, but none of the personal relationships or recent success out weigh the negatives. While I've poured my heart and soul into this company, I just don't feel like lending it my intellectual property, or results thereof anymore. I hadn't really been in the market for a new job in a while, not since the end of last year when i went on a few interview that didn't pan out, but one of those Presidents called me last week and let offered me a job for the third time, so we talks it out, I thought about it over the week and weekend and decided it was time.

There are lots of practical reasons to take the job: new opportunities, new technology, new challenges, way better benefits, a raise and a lot of the obvious stuff, but recently a few major factors influence me. First, I've been suggesting a revised business model to my boss, the President. About 80% of our revenue comes from OEMs and integrated technologies (my side of the business). In most cases, third parties are handling the integration and charging our customers a bunch of money to do it. That means our customers pay us, and then some other guy money to connect our technology with one of their other systems. I suggested that we start aggressively seeking out these integration opportunities instead of constantly working on new features to drive new sales and customers. I even asked my boss to just shop the idea around b it while he was in Germany at the world's largest trade show for graphic arts. He didn't blink an eye. Last Monday I got an instant message from him "Can our development team handle integration?". I was floored but really shouldn't have been; this has been his M.O. for years.

Other factors all really stem from the same thing: him asking for my input and then consistently going in the other direction. He either does the exact opposite of what I think is correct, or he finally catches on and then thinks he's a freaking genius for coming up with the idea. Just more straws on this camel's back. I'm tired. I want one someone to listen to an idea, give me the green light or tell me they appreciate my idea but still lead us in another direction. I guess at the end of the long weekend, I've just decided that I can't follow his leadership anymore.

<sigh>
sMiles
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » May 29th, 2012, 3:42 pm

After reading through what you had to say, I say you made a good decision. The signs of needing to make a change in jobs are all there. I applaud you for recognizing them and taking action. Determining how much the next situation matches up to your needs is a journey you're about to embark upon. You have the maturity to evaluate it as needed.

Good for you! ;;)
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » May 29th, 2012, 4:30 pm

I think CONGRATULATIONS are in order! You are off to new and better opportunities! Best of vibes from Iowa! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DukePA

Post by DukePA » May 29th, 2012, 4:33 pm

I am so happy for you! congratulations!!!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 29th, 2012, 4:49 pm

#:-s #:-s #:-s
Glad to read your update! Congratulations!
:Clap: :Clap: :Clap:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 29th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Congratulations, Miles! I hope this means you can make more games and tailgates, and not fewer! Mazel Tov! B-) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 29th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Thanks for filling us in and taking us along for the ride, Miles. Living with the OP for years has taught me a lot about what you guys go through hanging onto your intellectual property. And, unfortunately, the better you are at what you do, the more attractive your product is to predators. Your weariness is understandable. Glad you had this opportunity to take a deep breath and charge in a new direction. You may be nervous, but it must be invigorating at the same time.

Good luck!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 29th, 2012, 8:38 pm

What Ima said. Sounds like you're making a very wise decision. Congrats for your new opportunity! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 29th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Leaving a place where you have history and venture out can be daunting. A lot of people choose to stay with what they now. It takes great courage to walk away from what you know to try something new. Good luck, Miles!!! It does sound like you made the right decision.

Will you still get to work from home?
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 29th, 2012, 11:58 pm

Congratulations, Miles! I hope the new challenges are rewarding and lead to even better opportunities and good fortune.
Life is good!
Miles

Post by Miles » May 30th, 2012, 12:00 am

TillyGalore wrote:Will you still get to work from home?
Yes! Although I'll keep the home days few and far between. One of the problems I've been having is the lack of camaraderie that's a natural byproduct of working from home. I think virtual companies are great, but there is a lot to be said for brick and mortar, especially when you're leading a development team. There are just some meetings and interactions that are more productive when you meet face-to-face.

The President/CEO, my boss, is an old-school developer and he understands the rewards and gains from being able to lock the doors and remove distractions so I'll be free to choose appropriate times to work from home. He'll also be supporting my flexible schedule around charity work. Right now Kelly and I chauffeur dogs every month, taking them to a spay/neuter clinic. It doesn't hurt that is daughter is a veterinarian. :-)

Well, after the trauma and hurt feelings from earlier today, I'm already feeling better just being able to talk about and get pumped up for the new job. Thanks again to everyone for the kind words and giving me a place to sort some things out. I know I'll have a lot of emotions to process in the next few weeks, and that I can count on everyone here for support!

:ymhug:
:happy-bouncyblue:
sMiles
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 30th, 2012, 12:19 am

Congratulations on your move. You are very wise. I wish you the best. :ymhug:
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » May 30th, 2012, 6:05 am

Nothing but good wishes for you, Jer. You're about to embark on a grand new adventure. You've given yourself plenty of time to close out appropriately and bring someone up to speed at your current company. I'm impressed that your new boss accepted such a long transfer. I hope this new opportunity is everything you hope for and more! Hugs!! :ymhug: