Vibes for Soleil

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Vibes for Soleil

Post by Miles » April 14th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Our dog Soleil was bitten by a copperhead this afternoon. Thankfully, dogs are quite resilient to their venom, and the bite is rarely fatal. We got her to the vet in less than thirty minutes and her doctor says going to be fine. She may be fine, but Kelly and I are both emotional wrecks.

The sad irony is that we were clearing out the back yard, making up for years of neglect, in hopes that we could reduce the natural habitat for snakes. I got 20 seconds into the clearing when the weed eater mysteriously quit working, so we took a break and went to borrow a friend's weed eater and picked up some lunch. While we were eating, we noticed our other dog, Rider, sniffing out the newly cleared area when we saw the copperhead move. At this point, we didn't know she had been bitten.

I sprang to action, threw a big rock on the snake and then severed the head with a shovel. Still not knowing that Soleil had been bitten, I was actually overcome with grief and felt horrible for killing the snake, even though I knew I had to protect Kelly and our animals. I was still in shock, trying to get over when Kelly called for help. In a way, I'm kind of pissed off that I had to experience all of those emotions when that bastard snake hurt my angel of dog.

Soleil is still coming out of her sedation, and the bite is swollen and bleeding (all expected as explained by the vet). She looks horrible, and despite all of the assurance from the doctor that she is okay, Kelly and I are both upset and we just can't seem to shake the bad feelings. I'm now starting the feel the after effects of adrenaline.

What started as a great day, just turned to complete crap.

Ready for tomorrow.
sMiles
shereec
PWing School Professor

Re: Vibes for Soleil

Post by shereec » April 14th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Vibes, hugs and kisses to Soleil, and more of the same for you and Kelly. I recommend an internal alcohol rub this evening...
:ymhug:
Miles

Post by Miles » April 14th, 2012, 6:29 pm

shereec wrote:Vibes, hugs and kisses to Soleil, and more of the same for you and Kelly. I recommend an internal alcohol rub this evening...
:ymhug:
Thanks Aunt Sheree! Soleil is doing much better, which means Kelly and I are doing better.

The wine will be flowing soon!

Much love!
sMiles
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 14th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Sending vibes for Miles, Kelly, and Soleil! Sounds like all is well now. If there's one thing I don't like, it's snakes.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 14th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Oh MAN?! I'm so sorry to hear what Soleil is going through. But, what a brave human YOU are!!!! Our dogs have had every mishap and unfortunate thing happen to them that we can imagine --- except THAT! It's only a matter of time I guess, because it's copperhead season again up at the lake and those dogs are so nosey!

Meanwhile, Lucky and Murphy and Rowdy all send snuggles and their humans send gentle hugs to all of you.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 14th, 2012, 8:52 pm

The sheltie I grew up with was bitten 3 different times by copperheads ( slow learner...don't even ask about skunks :happy-bouncyblue: ) He always bounced back pretty quickly. Hope Soleil does too! Lab poodle terv vibes for soleil...and a double dose for you and Kelly!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » April 14th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Darned snakes....I hate them! Hugs to you & Kelly :ymhug: :ymhug: & major vibes for a quick recovery for Soleil from both Schatzi & I. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 14th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Vibes from Merlin and Sasha and me for all of you! What a scary thing. :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 14th, 2012, 11:30 pm

Healing vibes from Spencer, Moneypenny, Vesper, and Winston for Soleil and hugs from Marvin and me for you and Kelly.

:wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » April 14th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Wow, Miles, sounds truly terrifying. I can't even fathom. Hugs and vibes to you, Kelly, Soleil and Rider. :wizard:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 15th, 2012, 7:28 am

I hate snakes. :ymcowboy:

Vibes to Soleil! :wizard: :O3
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 15th, 2012, 8:43 am

Vibes to Soleil for a quick "shake off"! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

I too hate snakes. And :Boo: better that Soleil was bitten than you or Kelly. People don't do as well with copperhead bites as dogs do! :(
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 15th, 2012, 8:49 am

Vibes to Soleil, Kelly and you. Sounds like Soleil is on the mend. Harley sends his :ymhug: :O3 I do hope today is better for you all.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 15th, 2012, 9:37 am

Hugs all around! I hope Soleil is feeling better soon.

I hate snakes. I'm glad you killed that one. You probably didn't get the same amount of satisfaction by killing the snake before you knew that it bit Soleil.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » April 15th, 2012, 10:15 am

Don't feel too badly for snuffin' a copperhead. They are very dangerous toward humans...and other living creatures.

Rattlers tend to be more aggressive when young and small. They don't know much better than to use their ultimate defense when alarmed. Older ones will grow to become much more reserved about making a decision to strike. They had rather slither away. Copperheads on the other hand, no matter how old they are, don't give a continental shit. They are willing to bite anything, anytime they feel the slightest bit threatened. So IMO, you have performed a heroic service for yourself and your family by ousting it from it's miserable existence.

Well done, Sir! :clap:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Miles

Post by Miles » April 15th, 2012, 4:51 pm

CathyCA wrote: You probably didn't get the same amount of satisfaction by killing the snake before you knew that it bit Soleil.
Exactly! I would do it again in a heartbeat, and now that I know how dangerous they are to humans, and how ruthless they are to pets, I wouldn't feel as much remorse or have any conflicting feelings. But this was my first time having to kill something that big and that animated. It wrecked me until I heard Kelly calling for help.

To be honest, I feel robbed of the satisfaction of avenging her injury. It would've been much more fun, and cooler, if I could've gotten mad as hell and killed the damn snake in her honor. I like to believe that she was watching me the whole time though, and she knows I killed it!
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » April 15th, 2012, 4:58 pm

captmojo wrote:Don't feel too badly for snuffin' a copperhead. They are very dangerous toward humans...and other living creatures.

Rattlers tend to be more aggressive when young and small. They don't know much better than to use their ultimate defense when alarmed. Older ones will grow to become much more reserved about making a decision to strike. They had rather slither away. Copperheads on the other hand, no matter how old they are, don't give a continental shit. They are willing to bite anything, anytime they feel the slightest bit threatened. So IMO, you have performed a heroic service for yourself and your family by ousting it from it's miserable existence.

Well done, Sir! :clap:
Thanks Cap'n. Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it, and after hearing stories from friends and reading all these posts, I do feel much better about killing the snake. As far as learning experiences go, this one was a tough lesson to take. But I feel better equipped to kill a viper next time I see one.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » April 15th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for your kinds words and support. I'm happy to say that Soleil has improved remarkably in 24 hours.

Last night was rough all night. I slept on the sofa so Kelly could have her up in the bed to keep an eye on her. I don't think either one of them slept very good at all. Poor Soleil couldn't stop licking the wound, and she just couldn't figure out a way to lay her head down and get comfy. She finally passed out and when I went in the this AM to check on her, she gave me a little tail wag and her ears perked up, magical signs of relief and joy for a dog owner!

She is eating well now and doing normal, healthy things we hoped she would do. We won't be playing catch or chasing down bunnies or squirrels for a while but it's safe to she's gonnna be alright. Now we just have to keep her pain and infection free.
sMiles
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 15th, 2012, 6:09 pm

So glad that Soleil is on the mend and being a little bit perky! Pets are children! :O3

Glad you snuffed out that mean ole' copperhead. I hate spiders and snakes .
DukePA

Post by DukePA » April 15th, 2012, 7:05 pm

I am so happy to read that Soleil is recovering. What a crappy weekend for all of you. I certainly hope next weekend is much, much better.