Marathon run

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Marathon run

Post by Bostondevil » April 13th, 2012, 12:01 pm

Hey crazietalkers, my bib number for the Boston Marathon this year is 25545. I posted my fundraising link on DBR but it looks like they took it down. Sigh. I still read a lot of threads over there but rarely post because it's really become the No Fun message board.

If any crazietalkers want a sticker or a chance to win a scarf, here's the link. Scarf to be delivered sometime in 2013. Damn! I was at the post office today getting Son of Bostondevil's passport - should have mailed Arkie her scarf!! I need a personal assistant.

www.crowdrise.com/lisaburdick

And to anybody who has already donated, many thanks, for this and all previous years.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Marathon run

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Bostondevil wrote: I posted my fundraising link on DBR but it looks like they took it down.
So shocking. :|

Best of luck in your run. I like the number, that sounds like a good one.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 13th, 2012, 1:43 pm

I was just coming here to say "Hey Lisa, I can't find your donation page on DBR anymore…"

Thanks for posting here. Kelly and I wish you the best of luck and we'll be working ultramega vibes for you and your team.

YOU. RULE!

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
:duke: :duke: :duke:
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 13th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Amazing. They'll leave %$#@ up there like "Burger King's New Bacon Sundae" and delete threads with good causes like yours. SMH. :ymblushing: 8-|
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles

Post by Miles » April 13th, 2012, 1:58 pm

I cannot fathom why they won't let people post nonprofit, charitable contribution pages on the Off-Topic board. Hardly the friendly neighborhood bar I want to frequent.
L-)
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2012, 2:45 pm

BD, I'd email the mods...my guess is they will give you the same reason they gave me as to why they deleted a recent post of mine that linked to CTN. (Actually it linked to the drinking game thread and it was fitting. :)) )
Here's the rule to which I was quoted (but interestingly enough was not the reason behind my deletion).
Self promotion. Members come here primarily for dialog about Duke Basketball and related topics. They don't come here to read shameless self promotion. If your business or blog fits into the discussion, that's great - if you also provide content. But don't start or hijack threads with a "read my blog" or "buy my product, here's a link" posts. We're not a link farm.
So my guess it was because you are a horrible person and asked money for a good cause. Shame on you.

(FYI...this should not be interpreted as me calling out the stupidity of logic that is used obsessively over there, because I would not do that.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » April 13th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Ah, let 'em do what they want to do. Hypocritical? Probably. Have they chased away most of the fun that was the OTB? Yep. A few of us still go there but it's lost a lot of the camaraderie that used to exist which is a shame, but, I guess they don't see it that way. They've lost my support though, in any concrete sense of the word. I will still read some threads and use them as a link resource for Duke basketball.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Miles

Post by Miles » April 13th, 2012, 3:38 pm

It's okay for Jason to shamelessly promote his radio interviews and movie reviews though.
I guess that's the benefit of being a moderator.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » April 13th, 2012, 3:42 pm

:|
Bostondevil wrote:They've lost my support though, in any concrete sense of the word. I will still read some threads and use them as a link resource for Duke basketball.
This about sums it up for me too. I've been lurking, and even tried posting a few threads and comments recently, but it's just not fun in the forums. The EKF is headed in the direction of The Devils Den, and that's not a complement. The front page articles are still great, when they're not taking cheap shots and recovering addicts.

I'll still lurk, but I sure as hell won't click any ads.

I'm a real wanker for saying this, but those guys can be real wankers sometimes.
sMiles
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 13th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Ah, let 'em do what they want to do. Hypocritical? Probably. Have they chased away most of the fun that was the OTB? Yep. A few of us still go there but it's lost a lot of the camaraderie that used to exist which is a shame, but, I guess they don't see it that way. They've lost my support though, in any concrete sense of the word. I will still read some threads and use them as a link resource for Duke basketball.
I feel the same way. I was addicted to DBR when I was young and stupid, but I don't think of it as anything but a link resource.

It's a shame.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 13th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Because of DBR, crazietalk was born. As far as I'm concerned, they have served their purpose. Nuf said. :ymdevil:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 17th, 2012, 12:17 pm

This thread was started while I was attending a conference out in Portland. It wasn't until I saw the Run BD Run thread yesterday that I saw this. Glad you ran. I donated yesterday during your run... I would have done so earlier had I seen a link earlier. Hopefully you raised some funds.

I did not see your earlier link because I neither lurk nor post OY (with the exception of when Ozzie/devildeac posts a link that is vital to the future of humanity). All the real cool people are over at CTN. ;)

Hope you recover well from the run!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 17th, 2012, 12:22 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:BD, I'd email the mods...my guess is they will give you the same reason they gave me as to why they deleted a recent post of mine that linked to CTN. (Actually it linked to the drinking game thread and it was fitting. :)) )
Here's the rule to which I was quoted (but interestingly enough was not the reason behind my deletion).
Self promotion. Members come here primarily for dialog about Duke Basketball and related topics. They don't come here to read shameless self promotion. If your business or blog fits into the discussion, that's great - if you also provide content. But don't start or hijack threads with a "read my blog" or "buy my product, here's a link" posts. We're not a link farm.
So my guess it was because you are a horrible person and asked money for a good cause. Shame on you.

(FYI...this should not be interpreted as me calling out the stupidity of logic that is used obsessively over there, because I would not do that.)
BD: By chance, did you mention something about FIGHT CLUB? 8-}
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 17th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Because of DBR, crazietalk was born. As far as I'm concerned, they have served their purpose. Nuf said. :ymdevil:
QFE

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
I worship the Blue Devil!