Anyone Buy A Lottery Ticket?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: Anyone Buy A Lottery Ticket?

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 31st, 2012, 11:33 am

shereec wrote:Didn't win last night, but last week I won $600 on megamillions and $400 on a scratch ticket.
The winning ticket last night was bought in Maryland - I really hope it was a Duke fan passing through... :duke:
Thats awesome Sheree! :happy-bouncyblue:
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » March 31st, 2012, 12:20 pm

shereec wrote: The winning ticket last night was bought in Maryland - I really hope it was a Duke fan passing through... :duke:

I read that the jackpot wasn't won and it up to $640 million next week.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 31st, 2012, 6:39 pm

shereec wrote:Didn't win last night, but last week I won $600 on megamillions and $400 on a scratch ticket.
The winning ticket last night was bought in Maryland - I really hope it was a Duke fan passing through... :duke:
WooHoo! :happy-bouncyblue: Where did you buy the Mega ticket? I have yet to find a store that I like... that I'm lucky at.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » March 31st, 2012, 6:43 pm

colchar wrote:
shereec wrote: The winning ticket last night was bought in Maryland - I really hope it was a Duke fan passing through... :duke:

There were 3 winners in last night's drawing, the ticket purchased in MD and one each in Illinois and Kansas.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 31st, 2012, 8:19 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
colchar wrote:

There were 3 winners in last night's drawing, the ticket purchased in MD and one each in Illinois and Kansas.
What gets me about this is that I guarantee you one of the winners' first thought when they heard they weren't the only winners was "well, shit".
Life sucks when you only win 213 million bucks.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » April 1st, 2012, 8:06 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
WooHoo! :happy-bouncyblue: Where did you buy the Mega ticket? I have yet to find a store that I like... that I'm lucky at.
I bought that mega ticket at Kroger on Six Forks Rd in Raleigh and the scratch ticket at the BP station in Five Points.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 1st, 2012, 9:17 am

shereec wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I bought that mega ticket at Kroger on Six Forks Rd in Raleigh and the scratch ticket at the BP station in Five Points.
WTG, shereec! Congrats on your good fortune! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 1st, 2012, 9:20 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote: What gets me about this is that I guarantee you one of the winners' first thought when they heard they weren't the only winners was "well, shit".
Life sucks when you only win 213 million bucks.
Sadly, that's all too true. All 3 probably had that thought. Of course, I might've had that thought as well.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 1st, 2012, 5:52 pm

shereec wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Thanks Shereec. Question on the $600 winner - did you have to go to the lottery office in Raleigh to collect the $600, and did they withhold taxes from it? Or take your SSN to send you a 1099 at the end of the year? I'm thinking yes to some combination of that, which makes a $600 much worse than a $450 MM winner, or previously, a $500 Powerball winner (now no longer possible since they don't actually draw a multiplier, and the $100 winners are only $200 with the Powerplay).
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » April 1st, 2012, 10:52 pm

[/quote]
Thanks Shereec. Question on the $600 winner - did you have to go to the lottery office in Raleigh to collect the $600, and did they withhold taxes from it? Or take your SSN to send you a 1099 at the end of the year? I'm thinking yes to some combination of that, which makes a $600 much worse than a $450 MM winner, or previously, a $500 Powerball winner (now no longer possible since they don't actually draw a multiplier, and the $100 winners are only $200 with the Powerplay).[/quote]

Sadly, I did have to take the $600 ticket to the lottery office to collect and they did withold State taxes ($599 is the most a retailer can cash out without taxes) and I will have to report it on 2012 taxes. On the other hand, I gave them $2 and they gave me a whole lot more.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » April 2nd, 2012, 6:52 pm

We did a pool at work too. $80 in tix brought back $13. We agreed to "reinvest" it on Tuesday's drawing...

"The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math..."
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 2nd, 2012, 8:04 pm

According to a NYPost.com report, Mirlande Wilson, 37, a worker at a Maryland McDonald’s, says she was one of three winners of the $656 million Mega Millions drawing Friday night.

The jackpot was the largest in U.S. history.

The win entitles her to roughly $105 million in cash, but the NYPost.com report says her co-workers are calling foul.

The co-workers claim that Wilson’s winning ticket was purchased as part of the lottery pool for which several workers paid $5 to enter.
I'm sure the thought of that amount of money is too tempting to share.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 4th, 2012, 12:57 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
colchar wrote:

Must have been a cached article that I read (or the newspaper hadn't removed the earlier one from their website yet).
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 5th, 2012, 2:16 pm

I heard on a talk show, that the ticket from Baltimore, is hidden in the McDonalds!!!

Wonder if Ronald McDonald or the Hamburglar will want a part of the Lotto winnings??

The woman that claims to have the ticket, hired an attorney! Girl, just go to the Lotto office, and turn the Winning ticket in, already!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » April 6th, 2012, 7:30 pm

The Baltimore ticket is now lost...which means they likely never had it.

The winner in Kansas showed up today with lawyer and accountant in tow. They chose to remain anonymous. Smart move.