Sue's Disastrous Adventure

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Sue's Disastrous Adventure

Post by Sue71 » July 2nd, 2009, 10:31 pm

Well kids, as you know, I moved into my new apartment last week.

And promptly had an apartment fire last night. :-o

I'm fine. Chloe's fine. Some fire damage but a lot of smoke damage. And water damage. :-s

Just a messy few weeks coming up, so I probably won't be around much. :ymsigh:
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Sue's Disastrous Adventure

Post by DukePA » July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 pm

sending many vibes and hugs your way and Chloe's. Hang in there.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 2nd, 2009, 10:41 pm

Crap.

I'm glad that you and Chloe are okay.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 2nd, 2009, 10:45 pm

Sue,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you and Chloe are ok. Was the fire in your apt or a neighbor's?

Vibes for a quick clean up heading your way.

DukieInKansas
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 2nd, 2009, 10:56 pm

Sue - OH NOOOO!!!!! I feel your pain! I just had my entire HVAC system replaced today because the old one (original about 12 years old finally bit the dust and thank god, Goliath (Mr. HVAC 7' and 350 lbs) came to my house yesterday and used all his strength to unseat my electrical connection on the outside of my house to my compressor or I too would be talking about a big fire. I understand the flood thing too..... story there (my first devastating flood to come home to after being out of town), thank god for great neighbors. I am glad you and Chloe are okay!!!.... it will take time to repair, so my prayers and vibes are with you! Although stuff is stuff, you are okay and your kitty is okay and all that other stuff can hopefully be replaced .... I feel your pain!!!! Sending Vibes and prayers for you from VA and will fix you an extra strong Chocolate Tini with shavings and anything else you'd like! :ympray: :ympray: :ympray:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 2nd, 2009, 11:00 pm

Fire recovery vibes, Sue. Hope you didn't lose anything irreplaceable. Glad you and Chloe are unhurt, if not unnerved.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 2nd, 2009, 11:01 pm

I don't fucking get insurance companies. No wonder they're the 2nd largest mafia in NJ after the teacher's union. Fuck.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 2nd, 2009, 11:02 pm

And thanks for the vibes, all. I'm just in quite the mood right now.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 2nd, 2009, 11:03 pm

Sue71 wrote:I don't fucking get insurance companies. No wonder they're the 2nd largest mafia in NJ after the teacher's union. Fuck.
I was hoping you'd have better luck than I! They suck, short changed me by about 20-30k, but it will come back! :ympray:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 2nd, 2009, 11:24 pm

Glad you and Chloe are okay. Sending vibes for everything possible. I can't imagine what you must be going through.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 3rd, 2009, 1:38 am

Oh, jeez, Sue, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad you & Chloe are okay. I hope nothing too precious was lost, and that insurance won't screw you on the rest.

Fire-recovery vibes your way.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 3rd, 2009, 8:24 am

Sending vibes and hugs for you and Chloe, from all the residents of Tilly's Pu$$ies Galore.
I worship the Blue Devil!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 3rd, 2009, 9:36 am

Sending vibes and a hug. :ymhug: ...cause I don't want to disappear. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » July 3rd, 2009, 2:31 pm

Oh Hell no! Bummer!
Hope you can get over it quickly. Glad nobody was hurt.
If we had a smilie with a fire helmet, I'd click a bunch of 'em on here on your behalf.

(%) If this was the yang, imagine the yin yet to come.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
weezie
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by weezie » July 3rd, 2009, 7:22 pm

I'm sorry Sue! Man, I thought I was having a bad week but then reading your troubles made me stop carrying on.
Jeez, hang in there. Throw a bunch of stuff out and I'll get you a spiffy new Duke shirt if you need one.

Hey, were there any cute firemen?! Those guys are sweet sexy. They flirt with all women, even old geezettes like me!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 3rd, 2009, 9:12 pm

weezie wrote:I'm sorry Sue! Man, I thought I was having a bad week but then reading your troubles made me stop carrying on.
Jeez, hang in there. Throw a bunch of stuff out and I'll get you a spiffy new Duke shirt if you need one.

Hey, were there any cute firemen?! Those guys are sweet sexy. They flirt with all women, even old geezettes like me!
Since you moved, I'm assuming the fireman that showed up weren't the ones you had met at your old location?

I hope you are able to salvage all the important things. Of course, the most important are ok - you and Chloe.

Vibes are winging your way. Let us all know if you need anything.

DukieInKansas
Life is good!
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 3rd, 2009, 11:32 pm

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts, prayers, & vibes.

Today consisted of moving to the Hilton for about a week. Small but nice room. Chloe is adjusting. She's been such a trooper through all this. Did I mention I took her to the vet yesterday to have her checked out just in case? She's fine. She was so good she got a rabies shot. :-o The vet's office even called today to check on her. Not the closest in proximity but we may have found a winner.

Anyhoo, after moving to the Hilton (which was a problem in and of itself... my reservation was originally for tomorrow but never got changed to today like it was supposed to... yay that was fun to deal with), my good bud Ozzie called to check on me. :) Then one of my besties (from back in NJ who moved here a month after me!) called to check on me. Then another friend who didn't know what happened called to see if I wanted to do a late lunch since they were in the area, which was perfect timing for me! I went to lunch with them, then we went for ice cream. :) Of course, I filled them in.

After that, I went back to the apartment and grabbed a bunch of clothes and took them to the cleaners. The guy there was really nice and is going to do some extra stuff (other than just washing) to try to get the smoke stink out, and he's not going to charge me except for the standard fluff & fold. That's probably because I mentioned that if he did a good job on this stuff, I had a TON more for him- all my clothes, towels, sheets, 2 down comforters, pillows (oh shit, just realized I forgot to get a new pillow at Target tonight- I use one of those special curvy pillows for my neck... damn), some suitcases & bags, coats & jackets, etc. Nothing like good business. ;)

Then I went to Target (where I forgot to get a new pillow) & got 2 tops, a pair of capri pants, & a pair of convertible pants/shorts. So at least I have some outfits for a few days until my laundry is done at the cleaners.

And it's all reimbursable. Thank goodness.

Tomorrow a little more shopping for clothes- Kohls & Old Navy are open... maybe Macy's too. But still, ugh. My dad told me to look on the bright side and that it's a new wardrobe for me. Yeah well, not quite, and let me tell you, as much as I'm my mother's daughter regarding shopping, shopping under these circumstances really sucks. A lot.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » July 3rd, 2009, 11:57 pm

I'm glad the cleaner is helping out. It is so nice to see the kindness in strangers come out in times of difficulty.

:-ss I hope the red leather jacket is ok.

Keep us posted.

DukieInKansas
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 4th, 2009, 12:45 am

Sue71 wrote:Thanks again for everyone's thoughts, prayers, & vibes.

Tomorrow a little more shopping for clothes- Kohls & Old Navy are open... maybe Macy's too. But still, ugh. My dad told me to look on the bright side and that it's a new wardrobe for me. Yeah well, not quite, and let me tell you, as much as I'm my mother's daughter regarding shopping, shopping under these circumstances really sucks. A lot.
Wanna get some pickles and ice cream? I understand shopping under duress is NO FUN AT ALL!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 4th, 2009, 7:26 am

Pickles and ice cream? What, is Sue pregnant too? ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage