Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by rockymtn devil » July 1st, 2009, 9:31 pm

devildeac wrote:ATTN: rmd

Saw Little Yella Pils today also. Recommended or not?
If you like pilsners, yes. I don't and still find that beer drinkable, which is probably a good sign. It's got a nice honey sweetness to it.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2009, 9:49 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:

If you like pilsners, yes. I don't and still find that beer drinkable, which is probably a good sign. It's got a nice honey sweetness to it.
I plan on including a Victory Prima Pils in the ski trip beer trade this winter. Not that I'll change your mind about pilsners but it's floral and hop notes will impress you , I think.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 1st, 2009, 10:04 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:

I plan on including a Victory Prima Pils in the ski trip beer trade this winter. Not that I'll change your mind about pilsners but it's floral and hop notes will impress you , I think.
I look forward to it. My view of pilsners is based on your standard run-of-the-mill offerings. Exciting variations are generally good (which is why I'll order Mama's Lil from time to time).

Have you seen the Gordon IIPA offered out there? That's another solid Oskar Blues beer, although it can be pricy.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2009, 11:13 pm

If you like pilsners, yes. I don't and still find that beer drinkable, which is probably a good sign. It's got a nice honey sweetness to it.[/quote]

I plan on including a Victory Prima Pils in the ski trip beer trade this winter. Not that I'll change your mind about pilsners but it's floral and hop notes will impress you , I think.[/quote]

I look forward to it. My view of pilsners is based on your standard run-of-the-mill offerings. Exciting variations are generally good (which is why I'll order Mama's Lil from time to time).

Have you seen the Gordon IIPA offered out there? That's another solid Oskar Blues beer, although it can be pricy.[/quote]

Tuppers Hop Pocket Pils from the Legends Brewery (IIRC) in Richmond, Va. is another pils with a bite.

I have not seen the Gordon I2PA yet but I am hopeful now that I have seen 3 other Oskar products at Total Wine.

Pricey? Ha! Life is too short to drink bad/cheap beer...

(of course, I refuse to spring for a $15-16 750 ml product from the Rogue folks just because you are paying mostly for their fancy ass bottle. :roll: ;) )
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 1st, 2009, 11:17 pm

Yeah, the Rogue stuff is too expensive which is shame because the beer is good.

I still haven't had the Goose Island Bourbon County. It's been over 90 everyday since I bought it and my window unit AC is a piece of shit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2009, 11:24 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Yeah, the Rogue stuff is too expensive which is shame because the beer is good.

I still haven't had the Goose Island Bourbon County. It's been over 90 everyday since I bought it and my window unit AC is a piece of shit.
The Rogues in 6ers are competitively priced. My micro tastes were shaped on them. I also got used to buying their 7 ounce nips/ponies when we used to visit my parents in Portland for less than $2 each. My first tastes of Old Crustacean, Imperial Stout, McRogue Scotch Ale, Imperial IPA and Smoke Ale were 10-12 years ago. Aaahhh...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 2nd, 2009, 7:44 am

devildeac wrote: I have not seen the Gordon I2PA yet but I am hopeful now that I have seen 3 other Oskar products at Total Wine.

Pricey? Ha! Life is too short to drink bad/cheap beer...

(of course, I refuse to spring for a $15-16 750 ml product from the Rogue folks just because you are paying mostly for their fancy ass bottle. :roll: ;) )
Mama's Lil is the one Oscar Blues beer that I have yet to try but I got a good rec on it from a friend who tried it this past weekend. Gordon is an incredibly good beer
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 2nd, 2009, 9:42 am

Port Brewing--Old Viscosity--Listed as a strong ale but is really a cross between an russian imperial stout and and old ale..Pours black and thick with very little head. Initial taste is of coffee and chocolate though a little more muted and less bitter than most imperial stouts. Backside is the maltiness and alcohol burn of an old ale..10% ABV...Very enjoyable beer on a cool and rainy night. I'd like to try their more potent, aged version--Older Viscosity
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 2nd, 2009, 4:48 pm

bluebear wrote:Port Brewing--Old Viscosity--Listed as a strong ale but is really a cross between an russian imperial stout and and old ale..Pours black and thick with very little head. Initial taste is of coffee and chocolate though a little more muted and less bitter than most imperial stouts. Backside is the maltiness and alcohol burn of an old ale..10% ABV...Very enjoyable beer on a cool and rainy night. I'd like to try their more potent, aged version--Older Viscosity
Great names :))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 2nd, 2009, 9:56 pm

CB&B's IPA (I don't think it was the smoked as it did not appear to have the "S" on the cap) and Dunkelweiss held up well also after 6+ months of storage. Yay!
That should do it for the homebrews for a while. That is, until the 1st Brunchgate when the tasting and trading resume. ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2009, 1:09 pm

Founder's Centennial IPA-a fine summer beverage. Golden, crisp and moderately hoppy at 65 IBU. Cannabis and perhaps a bit of spuce and really no citrus. Good for sipping by itself or with some summer items off the grill. Go ahead, throw some spices on that chicken/fish/burger/brat or ribs. This beer will hold up. ABV is 6.5%, so you can have a 2nd one. Well, this was my 2nd, after an "aged" CB&B IPA a couple nights ago. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2009, 1:20 pm

Founder's Dirty Bastard-A Scottish style ale. It is a bit different than the Scotch ale I am used to/was expecting. The caramel and chocolate malts were present and it had a bit more hop presence at 50 IBU than I think of for this style. Hints of brown sugar and toffee but I swear it tasted a bit like tutti-fruitty which was real unusual. I might let the next one reach cellar temp before imbibing and make it a dessert beer with an oatmeal raisin or snicker doodle cookie instead of the 2nd of a session (after my last CB&B Dunkelweiss) 'cuz it is potent at 8.5% ABV.

Hmm, next post is 1000, IIRC ;) . Wonder where it will be posted ( :roll: ) and what fine, hand-crafted fermented beverage it will review ( ;) :D )? I'm thinking some sort of Belgian tonight...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 3rd, 2009, 3:59 pm

devildeac wrote:Founder's Centennial IPA-a fine summer beverage. Cannabis :D
Huh?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2009, 9:32 pm

I think I found a good one. :D

Lindemans Framboise Lambic-And I quoteth from the 750 ml bottle which I found in Dad's fridge a month or so ago: "Lindemans Framboise is a lambic made from local barley, unmalted wheat, and wild yeast. After spontaneous fermentation, the lambic is aged in oak. Raspberries are added, creating a secondary fermentation and yielding an ale of exceptional flavor and complexity." This is probably the classic raspberry lambic in quality and reputation and deservedly so. It is truly outstanding with a bit of sourness and funkiness in the nose and on the palate. I am sipping this chilled, as you would a champagne, in a skinny, tall pilsner glass. The devildeacs sadly don't own any champagne flutes :cry: . I'd guess this is 6-12 months old but Dad could have had this for 2-3 years. The head is modest but bubbly like a sparkling wine and it pours a slighly cloudy, deep red raspberry color (d'oh). Mildly tart and puckery from the wheat but the wonderful sweetness of the raspberries predominates and rightly so. The IBU should be low and I'd guess 20-30 and the ABV should be about 4-5%. A fantastic dessert ale. If I had to choose between the New Glarus Raspberry Tart, that Lavabe and I both reviewed around Christmas, 2008 on the DBR "Ymm, Beer," or this, I am not sure I could select a favorite. I'd probably cough up another $10-12 and purchase/drink them both, but not on the same night. :D It's time for glass #2 right now. I'll answer Ozzie's cannabis question a bit later, unless bluebear or rmd beat me to it.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 3rd, 2009, 10:04 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Huh?
Hops and cannabis come from the same family of plants. Many American hop strains have a very distinct pungent, cannabis aroma that comes through very pleasantly in the beer. It will generally smell like marijuana buds, and taste like pine or juniper berry. You see this most often in American Pale Ales, IPAs and IIPAs.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2009, 10:17 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Huh?
Hops and cannabis come from the same family of plants. Many American hop strains have a very distinct pungent, cannabis aroma that comes through very pleasantly in the beer. It will generally smell like marijuana buds, and taste like pine or juniper berry. You see this most often in American Pale Ales, IPAs and IIPAs.
Thanks. Like I said, "unless bluebear or rmd beat me to it." :D Heck, just as good or better than I could have described it. ;)

I'm not sure Ozzie would understand, however, as I am not sure if there are ANY hops in budlite. :)) :)) :(( :(( =)) =)) :roll: :roll:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2009, 10:19 pm

devildeac wrote:#1000

I think I found a good one. :D

Lindemans Framboise Lambic-And I quoteth from the 750 ml bottle which I found in Dad's fridge a month or so ago: "Lindemans Framboise is a lambic made from local barley, unmalted wheat, and wild yeast. After spontaneous fermentation, the lambic is aged in oak. Raspberries are added, creating a secondary fermentation and yielding an ale of exceptional flavor and complexity." This is probably the classic raspberry lambic in quality and reputation and deservedly so. It is truly outstanding with a bit of sourness and funkiness in the nose and on the palate. I am sipping this chilled, as you would a champagne, in a skinny, tall pilsner glass. The devildeacs sadly don't own any champagne flutes :cry: . I'd guess this is 6-12 months old but Dad could have had this for 2-3 years. The head is modest but bubbly like a sparkling wine and it pours a slighly cloudy, deep red raspberry color (d'oh). Mildly tart and puckery from the wheat but the wonderful sweetness of the raspberries predominates and rightly so. The IBU should be low and I'd guess 20-30 and the ABV should be about 4-5%. A fantastic dessert ale. If I had to choose between the New Glarus Raspberry Tart, that Lavabe and I both reviewed around Christmas, 2008 on the DBR "Ymm, Beer," or this, I am not sure I could select a favorite. I'd probably cough up another $10-12 and purchase/drink them both, but not on the same night. :D It's time for glass #2 right now. I'll answer Ozzie's cannabis question a bit later, unless bluebear or rmd beat me to it.
Yea, yea, I know, what a PW for quoting myself but I managed to squeeze about three 8.5 ounce glasses out of that 750 ml bottle and the 3rd one is just as damn enjoyable as the first. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 3rd, 2009, 10:57 pm

devildeac wrote:And I quoteth from the 750 ml bottle which I found in Dad's fridge a month or so ago:
I'll read the rest shortly, but that line held me up. To lead # 1000, that's pretty cool.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 3rd, 2009, 11:00 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote: Hops and cannabis come from the same family of plants. Many American hop strains have a very distinct pungent, cannabis aroma that comes through very pleasantly in the beer. It will generally smell like marijuana buds, and taste like pine or juniper berry. You see this most often in American Pale Ales, IPAs and IIPAs.
Thanks. Like I said, "unless bluebear or rmd beat me to it." :D Heck, just as good or better than I could have described it. ;)

I'm not sure Ozzie would understand, however, as I am not sure if there are ANY hops in budlite. :)) :)) :(( :(( =)) =)) :roll: :roll:
Well, it gets me hopping pretty good on occasion! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » July 6th, 2009, 10:43 am

Hoppin Frog BORIS the Crusher--Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout--Probably the blackest stout I've ever seen..extremely think with absolutely no head. This is one exceptional beer. The initial taste is all coffee and chocolate. There is a fair amount of bitterness but it's balanced well by some sweeter malts. I'm not sure if it's the oatmeal but the backside was a little more muted than some other RIS...Very smooth and easy to drink, although it is very thick and filling..I'd still put this a notch below Stone or Yeti as it had a bit too much of a coffee taste for me, but it's very close..