Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » February 9th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Fat Squirrel-New Glarus Brewing

I received this as a trader a couple weeks ago from another drug rep who calls on me at the office after his visit to relatives in Wisconsin over the holidays. I had placed an order for Wisconsin Red and Raspberry Tart but he said he could not find them so he split a 12 pack sampler with his BIL and brought his 6 back to NC for me. This is a bit of an unusual brown ale as it is unfiltered with a blend of a number of hops and malts. It pours a light brown with a modest head and has a floral hop bouquet mixed with a bit of nuttiness. The nuttiness (almonds and hazelnuts) are more prominent on tasting it and it is crisp and clean and only very slightly cloudy. I'd be happy to sip this with sandwiches, grilled fare or BBQ goods on a fall afternoon. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV around 5%. Solid session brew.

Some amusing brewer's notes:

Fat Squirrel
One deceptively spring like winter day, Brewmaster Dan walked home from the brewery, sat down to dinner and said, "Boy, there are some fat squirrels out there. They're running all over the place. I think I should brew a Fat Squirrel Nut Brown Ale." Deb agreed and so another beer legend was born.

100% Wisconsin malt of six different varieties impart the natural toasted color to this bottle conditioned unfiltered ale. Clean hazelnut notes result from these carefully chosen barley malts. Hops from Slovenia, Bavaria and the Pacific Northwest give Fat Squirrel its backbone. When the going gets tough, remember to relax a moment and enjoy the "Fat Squirrel" in your neighborhood.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 12th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Lager-Brooklyn Brewing

Pretty standard fare here but a solid brew. Poured a light amber with a modest head and aromas of fresh flowers and tastes of light caramel and toasted bread. Had this at Chalk Talk with chicken and a light cream sauce, pasta and some veggies, succotash and 2 different salads. Would also be good with Brunchgate fare on a warm summer or fall afternoon. I'd guess the IBU about 20 and the ABV was 5.2% so worthy to include in a tasting session, too.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 12th, 2012, 8:23 pm

devildeac wrote:Lager-Brooklyn Brewing
Quite tasty! :dance:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 14th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout-Stone Brewing

I'm going to let the professional reviewer describe this one and then add a few thought of my own:

Appearance:

The beer pours black with a deep tan head of foam.

Aroma:

The aroma is a blend of anise, coffee, and cocoa, with black licorice and dried fruit flavors.

Taste:

Up front taste impressions are classic Stout, with coffee and dark roasted malt flavors dominating. The anise comes through mid-palate, and blends nicely with the malt flavors. Towards the finish, the oak character from the aging on oak makes its appearance, and creates lingering subtle mellow vanilla and oak complements to the dark roasted malt.

Palate:

The palate is full bodied and very smooth. The alcohol is minimally perceivable, it's not very hot.

Overall Impression:

Really nice flavor combination. There's a lot going on in this beer, yet it never loses the original character of a classic Stone Imperial Russian Stout. The Belgian yeast is largely subdued, there's very little in the way of clove, and just hints of banana, yet the yeast esters add to the overall palate of flavors here, and come out more as the beer warms in the glass. This is one that will age nicely for several years.
Stone Beer Quick Facts
Release Date:

May 31st, 2011
First Release Date:

July 2000
Hop Variety:

Warrior
Stats:

ALC/VOL 10.5%, 56 IBUs

There is not quite as much licorice flavor in this RIS as I thought. Certainly not as much as in Labyrinth from Uinta Brewing which I tasted at one of our Brunchgates. I found this brew to be almost overpowering but not so with the Stone product. It's boozey enough, giving it tastes of dark Caribbean rum, too. There are also hint of black molasses.

I found a bomber of this in Williamsburg at The Cheese Shop in December so I managed to "age" it for about 3 months before I split it over a couple nights last week. Definitely worth a tasting but not sure I'd buy it again although it was a very reasonably priced high gravity ale at $7.50 for the bomber.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 14th, 2012, 10:06 pm

Fifteen (2010)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Some brewer's note first:

This is a celebration of our fifteenth year making craft beer and it stands as an example of the bold flavorful beers that we have come to make. This is not a timid ale; it’s an intense, full-bodied smoke experience. Fifteen has a rich flavor profile balancing notes of dark roast, burnt toast, and spicy rye with a deep earthy aroma of smoke and wood. This beer should age nicely and be a smoky treasure for many years.

My thoughts:

Not quite as thick/chewy as some imperial stouts, but close. Pours almost black with a small tan head and multiple flavors of smoked peat, cocoa and espresso. This could be a dessert beer but could also be served with a meal of game or smoked meats such as brisket. Pretty standard IBU at 80 and an ABV of 10.8% so be careful as you sip one of these. Best served slightly chilled in a snifter or pint glass. I bought a couple of these and will save one to sample and review next year.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 15th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Insanity (2011)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Even smoother than the March, 2011 tasting. And I still have one bottle left to sample next year :D . Oak/cask/bourbon barrel aging has made most of the barleywines I have tried so much softer on the palate by giving them vanilla, woody and dark fruity flavors in addition to the whiskey tastes.

Here are my 2011 notes:

Insanity-Weyerbacher Brewing

From the brewer: Insanity is made by aging our perfectly balanced Blithering Idiot Barleywine in oak bourbon casks. This incredible combination creates a mélange of flavors from rich malts, raisons, and dates to oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Insanity will be yours this February!

From my lips: This is the style/manner in which most barleywines should be made. I'll guess an IBU about 70-80 but the ABV is 11.5% for an incredible malty backbone and balance. Quite smooth and luscious and even reminding me of another favorite of mine, Dogfish Head's Immort Ale, with some maple syrup notes. Marketed in 4 packs at about $13 for the grouping. The pour is slightly cloudy and deep reddish-brown, the head is modest and it should be served about 55-60 degrees in a snifter/goblet and sipped after ACCT victories

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » February 15th, 2012, 11:00 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Old Curmudgeon Ale (2009 edition)-Founders Brewing

And I still look like the guy on the label.

Ooooooooohhhh!!! Have you tried this? Have you seen it? Damn, I'm drooling. (I found it because I was trying to find who did the portrait on the original's label.)

Founders releases an old ale in four packs called Curmudgeon each May. The label for Better Half notes that the beer is aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels— just like the previous Backstage Series release, Canadian Breakfast Stout. Based on the timing, one might presume that this is the 2011 batch of Curmudgeon, aged in barrels for several months.
http://beernews.org/2011/12/founders-cu ... l-approved
If it hasn't been reviewed here, then I haven't tasted it. Yet. I have not seen it but I will make a stop at Bottle Revolution on my way home today and check on it. That sounds outrageous. You'll have to make a stop in/around Blacksburg over the holidays and let me know it you find it. =p~
Around here, this is hitting the shelves this week. I broke the bank buying one but I'll consider it my one splurge of the year.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 16th, 2012, 4:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I just found 2 bottles of cider that I brewed 3 years ago. I had no idea I had these two; the only bottle I've saved from then (I thought) is the Grolsch bottle I've got in my cabinet. So since I found 2, I opened one. The recipe was simple, 5 gallons of all natural apple cider (no preservatives, no pasteurization) boiled and then fermented with a packet of champagne yeast.
After 3 years, this has aged awesomely. I was pretty leery, it's a medium ABV brew, probably 7-9 percent. It has so many qualities of champagne, very dry, but pleasantly sweet. The apple gives a great undertone to it. Since I now know that it won't kill me, I'm going to bring the Grolsch bottle to our last brunchgate this year. It will be nice to toast with after we beat the shit out of the heels in Wallace Wade.
I just started my first ciders today! I'm doing one gallon test batches one with an ale yeast and the other with a lager. I went with Murray's All Natural Apple Cider. It's been pasteurized and filtered but is otherwise all natural and preservative-free. This saves me from cooking and provides me with two, sanitized carboys. :-) I'm looking forward to the first tasting, and then subsequent tastings. If this catches on, I'll look forward to expanding to 5 gallon batches.

Yay cider!
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 18th, 2012, 11:06 am

Demolition Ale-Goose Island Brewing

Part of a gift pack for Christmas from Lavabe, lovingly delivered by his vivacious wife, ILJ during their visit in December. IIRC, this has been discontinued and that is a bit sad as I first tasted this Belgian style golden ale about 15 years ago during my first (and only) ever attendance at the annual Oregon's Brewers' Festival. I don't think it has changed much over the years as it still pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange with a bouquet of fresh flowers and tastes of crisp pears and apples with a hint of orange citrus. There is a nice array of Belgian lace (aka fizz) that lingers on the glass as you sip. This would be a great appetizer ale with lighter cheeses and crackers or fresh fruit and would also make a nice dinner beverage with lighter fish, other seafood or chicken with mango/pineapple salsa or chutney. Heck, it would make a great dessert liquid, too, with a plate of fruit or a fresh fruit tart or cobbler (no ice cream). IBU at 40 and ABV at 7.2% so I split this 2011 bomber over 2 nights from a snifter. My only objection is that it is a bit "thin" or "light" for a true Belgian golden ale, most of which are 8-9% ABV or a bit higher.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 19th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Gemini-Southern Tier Brewing

What a luscious combination! This is a blend of 50% unfiltered Hoppe and 50% Unearthly and the result is a DIPA with hints of grapefruit, orange (from the wheat malts) and a solid backbone of caramel sweetness balancing the moderate hop bitterness. Pours a slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a thick, foamy head. I'd guess the IBU to be rather high, probably 70-80 range, and the ABV is 10.5% so this hefty bomber was split over two nights. Would make a fine beverage to serve with hot/spicy foods or to sip from a snifter as a nightcap.

Image +Image = Image
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 19th, 2012, 7:55 pm

I bought a new pc yesterday. Of course, it's a little different feeling from my old one. I think I'm going to like it. :)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 19th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I bought a new pc yesterday. Of course, it's a little different feeling from my old one. I think I'm going to like it. :)
And this relates to Ymm, Beer! how? =)) =)) =))

Vibes for the new PC! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 20th, 2012, 7:09 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I Bought a nEw pc yEsteRday. Of course, it's a little different feeling from my old one. I think I'm going to like it. :)

Because she secretly spelled beer in her post with the capitalized letters?

=)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 20th, 2012, 7:17 am

Battlefield Bock (draft)-Red Oak Brewing

Had a pint of this at carolina Ale House Saturday night at a surprise birthday party for dukediv2011/11/12/13 and I liked the way my son described it best. He said it was a "light dark beer." It is a lager made with darkly roasted malts, likely chocolate and caramel, as there were hints of milk chocolate and dark caramel as I sipped it. It was more flavorful as it warmed, had little hop presence, was dark brown in color and nearly opaque. I'll guess an IBU of 20 and the ABV was 6.8%, pretty typical for a bock. Quality offering from the folks just off I-40 in the Greensboro area.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 20th, 2012, 8:02 am

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I Bought a nEw pc yEsteRday. Of course, it's a little different feeling from my old one. I think I'm going to like it. :)

Because she secretly spelled beer in her post with the capitalized letters?

=)) =))
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 20th, 2012, 9:56 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I bought a new pc yesterday. Of course, it's a little different feeling from my old one. I think I'm going to like it. :)

I have no idea how the pc relates to Ymm, Beer! I thought I was on another thread. What can I say? Thanks for the vibes. So far, so good.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 20th, 2012, 12:31 pm

I say you're welcome to put it anywhere you like. We'll find it! ;)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 22nd, 2012, 4:47 pm

Three Philosophers-Ommegang Brewing

A Belgian style quadruple ale (98%) blended with a cherry lambic (2%) makes a delicious combination for a celebratory brew. I enjoyed 1/2 a 12 ounce bottle of this with my son Saturday night as a pre-dinner beverage. It was a rather cold but, with a bit of warming, the dark, fruity flavors of dates and figs blended exquisitely with the bing cherry flavors of the lambic. There are also notes of dark brown sugar and rum which add to the enjoyment of this excellent ale. The pour was a deep ruby brown with a small head. I'd guess the IBU to be 20-30 with little hop presence and the ABV is a hefty 9.8%. This would also be a fine after dinner or dessert brew and could be served alone or with a plate of dark dried fruits or even with chocolate, making your dessert even more decadent. I have a 750 ml bottle I'll save for a year and celebrate again :D .

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 22nd, 2012, 6:50 pm

Monster(2009 version)-Brooklyn Brewing

Just looked at my 2004 and 2005 reviews and this one will fall short of those accolades but not by much. This barleywine style ale is highly drinkable when it is released and continues to become smoother and softer as it ages. Pours a fairly clear reddish-brown with a small head and has aromas of dark (but not chocolate) caramels, light brown sugar and dark dried fruits, mostly cherries. Still resembles a sherry but not quite as much as the older versions. The cloying sweetness balances the typical floral hop bitterness at an estimated IBU of 80 or more and an ABV of 11%. So, let this warm a bit, decant into a snifter and sip for an hour or so for your bedtime brew.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 25th, 2012, 7:37 am

Black Chocolate Stout (07-08 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

This remains one of my favorite brews, made even better with several years of aging. The smooth, silky texture remains and appears richer with cellaring. It pours an opaque black with a 1-2 finger head and the dark chocolate notes blend perfectly with a bit more whiskey-like tastes after 4-5 years in the bottle. I have never really detected any coffee presence in the brew and the heavily roasted bitter notes are perfectly balanced with the 6 grains used in the brewing process. Can't find the IBU anywhere but I'd estimate 70-80 which would be typical for most imperial stouts and the ABV is 10.6% with only mild booziness. I will always think of this exquisite brew as drinking a dark chocolate malted with a generous shot of whiskey. Best served at room temperature for your dessert but a slice of flourless chocolate cake or triple chocolate chip cookies would make nice friends here, too. Or, you could divide your 12 ounce serving and have half with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream and enjoy a beer float and have the other half solo or with a chocolate baked good.