Email Spam/Hacking Question

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Email Spam/Hacking Question

Post by DukieInKansas » February 3rd, 2012, 4:43 am

What do you do if people have received an email from your email address with a weird link? It was sent out at a time my computer wasn't even turned on. I had AVGs free virus scan software and have since purchased it and run a scan on my computer. I don't have any viruses per that scan. Is there anything I should do?

I do not understand how this happens - or why it happens. What is the purpose of sending out the emails from someone else's email?

Thanks for any guidance.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: Email Spam/Hacking Question

Post by windsor » February 3rd, 2012, 7:44 am

It is called spoofing. It did not, in all probabilty come from YOUR e-mail...it was simply made to LOOK like it came from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

There is virtually nothing you can do about it except encourage your friends to check with you if they get anything odd.

On the other hand (there is always an 'other' hand) you do not need to have your computer on for someone to hack your e-mail...they are almost always hacked from the server side (logging on as you to your e-mails web access point).

I would, as a precaution, change that e-mail password just in case but it is probably a spoof.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 3rd, 2012, 10:22 am

Thanks for that info! I get from time to time.... I just DELETE.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 3rd, 2012, 11:46 am

Windsor is dead on correct...but still as a safety measure it's a good idea to run a few programs to verify your computer is clean. Malwarebytes Anti-malware is a good one to start with. Google it, download it, and run it. It's free.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 3rd, 2012, 1:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Windsor is dead on correct...but still as a safety measure it's a good idea to run a few programs to verify your computer is clean. Malwarebytes Anti-malware is a good one to start with. Google it, download it, and run it. It's free.
Thanks = I did forget to update and run that last night. Will do it this weekend.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » February 3rd, 2012, 1:03 pm

windsor wrote:It is called spoofing. It did not, in all probabilty come from YOUR e-mail...it was simply made to LOOK like it came from you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

There is virtually nothing you can do about it except encourage your friends to check with you if they get anything odd.

On the other hand (there is always an 'other' hand) you do not need to have your computer on for someone to hack your e-mail...they are almost always hacked from the server side (logging on as you to your e-mails web access point).

I would, as a precaution, change that e-mail password just in case but it is probably a spoof.
Thanks, Windsor. I thought it really came from outside my computer but wasn't sure.
Life is good!
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » February 4th, 2012, 12:13 am

Windsor touched upon this, but there's no need to have your computer on in order for someone to have accessed your email account and sent something out from it.

Change your email password. Make sure, if there's an alternate "you can also send account info here" email address, that it's still an email address you own.