The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by Lavabe » December 29th, 2011, 10:59 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Had an e-mail from my contact at UTMB today. They can't officially look until applications until January 2, but will be freezing applications at that point and bringing in qualified people to interview. He mentioned late January as a potential start date, which might actually be a bit too soon. I also have the option of going down to visit again, which I think is a good idea. It will give me a chance to look into real estate on the island.

I think it's time to contact a realtor and put the wheels in motion to put my place on the market. Will have to tread carefully, though, since PHB is still not aware that my departure is imminent. :ymdevil:
Have they discussed with you what moving expenses they will pay for? Will they buy your condo, or guarantee the price you'll get for it (usually the average of three appraisals)? These things may or may not apply to a new hire (they usually do when a company moves you after a promotion). You may be able to get substantial moving expenses reimbursed by UTMB, even as a new hire. Moving your stuff will cost a bundle - thousands of dollars.
Moving expenses in an academic position at a public university? You can try for them, but don't count on it (especially with Texas).
If you don't get them, moving expenses will yield a major tax deduction,

I would also not count on them buying/guaranteeing your condo.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 29th, 2011, 11:01 am

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Had an e-mail from my contact at UTMB today. They can't officially look until applications until January 2, but will be freezing applications at that point and bringing in qualified people to interview. He mentioned late January as a potential start date, which might actually be a bit too soon. I also have the option of going down to visit again, which I think is a good idea. It will give me a chance to look into real estate on the island.

I think it's time to contact a realtor and put the wheels in motion to put my place on the market. Will have to tread carefully, though, since PHB is still not aware that my departure is imminent. :ymdevil:
Have they discussed with you what moving expenses they will pay for? Will they buy your condo, or guarantee the price you'll get for it (usually the average of three appraisals)? These things may or may not apply to a new hire (they usually do when a company moves you after a promotion). You may be able to get substantial moving expenses reimbursed by UTMB, even as a new hire. Moving your stuff will cost a bundle - thousands of dollars.
Moving expenses in an academic position at a public university? You can try for them, but don't count on it (especially with Texas).
If you don't get them, moving expenses will yield a major tax deduction,

I would also not count on them buying/guaranteeing your condo.
Lavabe makes two very good, very valid points. Moving expenses, maybe. Buying condo, no. Discount for moving expenses through a national moving company are a stronger possibility.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 29th, 2011, 11:13 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Relocation packages are not what they once were...and few and far between. It never hurts to ask.

I would go down for another visit if you can. You haven't discusses the specific of THIS job with them, and you probably should. It will also let you look at real estate. You might want to consider renting initially until you are more familiar with the area...better to pay rent for a while then make a bad buying decision. Now is a good time to make a list of what you want in a home...I ran around with 'score cards' when I looked at property to help me make a rational decision and not become so smitten with one feature I ignored other short comings. It will also assist your realtor in showing you appropriate properties (when I moved to FL ages ago I went through 3 different agents until I found one that would quit showing me houses with pools - I was single, and my daughter was a toddler...a pool was a deal breaker you'd think that would be easy to understand!)

Prequalify for a mortgage if possible...and DO consider short sales. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Vibes that it all comes together quickly and easily
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 29th, 2011, 11:15 am

one more thing...keep good records...job hunting expense and moving expenses are tax deductible! (job hunting if you itemize, moving is an adjustment to gross) :happy-bouncyblue:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » December 30th, 2011, 1:18 pm

I have just spent two solid days (I am on 'vacation' btw) remoting in to work running month/year end crap. We're are three bodies short and management doesn't want to replace them. Those of us that are left are at 120% all the time. Frankly this is getting old. Two other folks in my group have logged considerable work time during their 'vacations'. In fact, the running joke is the ONLY way to get away is take a cruise and be non-reachable. The next executive that says 'more with less' or 'work smarter' I am going to bitch slap. That is a promise. If they expect me to available 24x7x365 we need to have a serious salary negotiation!

I am giving serious thought to seeking greener pastures. I probably won't make a move until late March (we are supposed to get our bonuses this year...which will be about 20% of salary - certainly worth waiting for).

The IT market here has started to open up again, head hunters are calling and positions are opening and that bodes well. I think I will spend some time over the weekend dusting off ye old resume and looking around to see what might be out there. I am, because of my involvement in certain projects, as close to 'lay off proof' as you can get in my current gig. The salary is ok, the benefits are passable. I feel guilty, given the number of folks who would trade a limb for a fulltime gig with benefits, whining over just not liking it..but life is too short to have a job that sucks.

sigh. decisions. decisions.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 12th, 2012, 9:34 am

Need Vibes for a New JOb in 2012 that is perm with Good Benefits!!!!!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 12th, 2012, 9:38 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Need Vibes for a New JOb in 2012 that is perm with Good Benefits!!!!!
Ask and ye shall get! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 12th, 2012, 10:04 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Need Vibes for a New JOb in 2012 that is perm with Good Benefits!!!!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibes a comin' !
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 12th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Vibes that 2012 is your year!!
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 12th, 2012, 8:37 pm

And the vibes are flowin' to DWP2!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » January 13th, 2012, 12:55 am

windsor wrote:
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Vibes a comin' !
And still more from out West!

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 13th, 2012, 9:09 am

Thanks for all the vibes guys!

I am trying to stay positive and encouraged. If I listen to the news or read online, then I really know about our local and state economy. Major business like Kmart, Sears, TAco Bells are closing many stores. I heard yesterday Taco Bell closed 1000 stores. And the Unc system is cutting back again. Read a blurb where Obama wants to cut several Federal Jobs. (thinking there are many that can take retirement).

Even skilled labor jobs that used to pay $20 -25 an hour, are $9/10 range according to national reports. I know several temp agenices that used college educated employees and used to pay that, now pay $10/11 with no benefits, and use you for 6 months, and then let you go.

A friend of mine, is on his 3rd State Temp contract. Has 2 college degrees (One is from Duke). Works 11 months, and has to sit out for 1 month. His pay scale has gone from $12.25 an hr for the 1st year to $12.75, (2nd) and now on the 3rd year ($13 and change an hour). No benefits at all. And works in a large State department near the Raleigh Capital. I know this individual aggressively has been seeking employment for 4 years.

I have many friends, that have lost not only their jobs, but homes, or housing, and cars, and their credit went to hell.

I might need to start doing lottery scratch off tickets.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 13th, 2012, 10:38 pm

It is easy to focus on the anecdotal evidence that paints a picture one way. We have been aggressively trying to hire at my company but have found good matches skill-wise few and far between. We are trying to grow my department by about 50%. With that said, I have not recommended the place to anyone I know for several reasons.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 13th, 2012, 11:35 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:It is easy to focus on the anecdotal evidence that paints a picture one way. We have been aggressively trying to hire at my company but have found good matches skill-wise few and far between. We are trying to grow my department by about 50%. With that said, I have not recommended the place to anyone I know for several reasons.
That sounds familiar. A former student asked me today about a position in our lab. Let's just say I didn't offer a ringing endorsement for the place.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 13th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Vibes for all needing a new job!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 14th, 2012, 8:39 am

YmoBeThere wrote:It is easy to focus on the anecdotal evidence that paints a picture one way. We have been aggressively trying to hire at my company but have found good matches skill-wise few and far between. We are trying to grow my department by about 50%. With that said, I have not recommended the place to anyone I know for several reasons.
My company has a couple hundred openings right now. There are two in my immediate area. I've seen some of the resumes HR sends over...blech. We've had a Business Analyst position open since May that we just can't find the right body for. The quality of the candidates we are seeing is poor. (this is a 60-75k a year position). Their resumes are poorly done, they put forth zero effort in researching what we do as a company (asking so what does "XYZ do?" in an interview is the kiss of death). I asked a candidate why the job history on his resume differed substantially from the job history on his LinkedIn...and he gave me a ration of crap for violating his privacy by googling him. I laughed at him. We had a candidate for a Recon Analyst (this is entry level position) show up in a spaghetti strapped sun dress and flip flops. With her 'girls' hanging out. Really? I see resumes that don't even remotely fit the job (because I finally told HR to send me ALL of them without screening). I phone interviewed one and found that they did indeed have experience with SAS (that is the job description in the online posting they answered) but it wasn't on their resume - guess they couldn't be bothered to do a little customization. Against my better judgement (in desperation) we interviewed them...only to find that their 'minimum salary' as 20% over our maximum salary (and yes they knew the range). Thanks for wasting my time.

You would think with unemployment north of 10% locally we would have no problem finding a great fit. We can't find a 'not too bad, maybe they'll work out with some help' .

I also have friends who are good solid people with good work history and skills that can't seem to find a job. I've reviewed their resumes and they're solid...I know they interview well ... they are doing 'everything right' and nothing.

I'm frankly just puzzled. My company is a decent place to work...benefits are ok, salary is competitive and they promote from within at every opportunity...we're financially stable and growing...and we can't hire decent people. I know decent people who can't find a job...it just doesn't make sense.

If anyone knows someone in the Tampa FL vicinity looking for a gig holler... if they can spell the words on their resume correctly AND can dress for an interview properly AND do a tiny bit of research on the company online I will hire them. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 14th, 2012, 9:17 am

windsor wrote: We had a candidate for a Recon Analyst (this is entry level position) show up in a spaghetti strapped sun dress and flip flops. With her 'girls' hanging out. Really?
Windsor, obviously she had dressed to impress a male interviewer. Oops! :ymdevil:

Wish I knew someone in Tampa to recommend. Heck, I almost wish I lived in Tampa!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 14th, 2012, 10:06 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
windsor wrote: We had a candidate for a Recon Analyst (this is entry level position) show up in a spaghetti strapped sun dress and flip flops. With her 'girls' hanging out. Really?
Windsor, obviously she had dressed to impress a male interviewer. Oops! :ymdevil:

Wish I knew someone in Tampa to recommend. Heck, I almost wish I lived in Tampa!
LOL...then she is guilty of not being able to read the interview agenda she was given...which listed all 4 interviewers..only one male on the list! In other news...he was the most uncomfortable with her attire because he thought "they were going to fall out at any moment and I didn't know where I was going to look or what I was going to say".
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 14th, 2012, 12:16 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I have a little be of a job thing going myself. I'm applying for a job running the internal medicine residency program at Duke. This program is the largest graduate medical education program at Duke. While I love Surgery, sometimes you need to let go. This new position would be working with just one program instead of trying to manage 4-5. There is a lot of work involved with this, but again, one program. I know the hiring manager, and have known him almost the whole time I've been at Duke and have a really good rapport with him. Will be updating my resume this weekend so I can submit it next week and will be having lunch with the gal who is leaving the position (she saw an opportunity for growth and took it, much like how I'm viewing this) to talk about the good and bad of the job and people she worked with. The more I think about this job, the more I get excited about it. Need to reel myself in as I don't want to put the cart before the horse.
I had my first interview yesterday and it went very well, lasted 2 hours. As I mentioned before I know the hiring manager and we had a great talk. He shared things with me that I doubt he would share with other candidates, like he hopes to retire within 5 years and can see me taking over for him. He was very complimentary of me and my skills. He did ask me a question I've never been asked in an interview, "have you ever failed?" I had to answer truthfully, yes I have. But I've learned from my failures or mistakes along the way.

This position will supervise 2 employees, something I have never done before, but the HM seems very willing to mentor me in this area. Duke offers a course on how to supervise which is geared towards the employee who has not been a supervisor.

There is opportunity to grow and advance in this position, which is very important for me at this point in my career. I don't want to be in a dead end job. I have to give Duke a lot of credit in that they really do want their employees to grow and really are willing to make it happen, course it also helps that everyone I've worked for encourages growth, both personal and professional.

The next step is to interview with the residency program director and that will occur within the next few weeks. I may also meet or interview with a few other people. The higher you go in this world, the more people you interview with for a position.

And to think, I had briefly considered not saying anything to the HM about the plans for this position when it was vacated.
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 14th, 2012, 12:25 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I have a little be of a job thing going myself. I'm applying for a job running the internal medicine residency program at Duke. This program is the largest graduate medical education program at Duke. While I love Surgery, sometimes you need to let go. This new position would be working with just one program instead of trying to manage 4-5. There is a lot of work involved with this, but again, one program. I know the hiring manager, and have known him almost the whole time I've been at Duke and have a really good rapport with him. Will be updating my resume this weekend so I can submit it next week and will be having lunch with the gal who is leaving the position (she saw an opportunity for growth and took it, much like how I'm viewing this) to talk about the good and bad of the job and people she worked with. The more I think about this job, the more I get excited about it. Need to reel myself in as I don't want to put the cart before the horse.
I had my first interview yesterday and it went very well, lasted 2 hours. As I mentioned before I know the hiring manager and we had a great talk. He shared things with me that I doubt he would share with other candidates, like he hopes to retire within 5 years and can see me taking over for him. He was very complimentary of me and my skills. He did ask me a question I've never been asked in an interview, "have you ever failed?" I had to answer truthfully, yes I have. But I've learned from my failures or mistakes along the way.

This position will supervise 2 employees, something I have never done before, but the HM seems very willing to mentor me in this area. Duke offers a course on how to supervise which is geared towards the employee who has not been a supervisor.

There is opportunity to grow and advance in this position, which is very important for me at this point in my career. I don't want to be in a dead end job. I have to give Duke a lot of credit in that they really do want their employees to grow and really are willing to make it happen, course it also helps that everyone I've worked for encourages growth, both personal and professional.

The next step is to interview with the residency program director and that will occur within the next few weeks. I may also meet or interview with a few other people. The higher you go in this world, the more people you interview with for a position.

And to think, I had briefly considered not saying anything to the HM about the plans for this position when it was vacated.
This all sounds great, Tilly! Vibes for you as the process continues. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
-- Albert Einstein