devildeac's great adventure-warning: graphic content!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: devildeac's great adventure-warning: graphic content!

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2009, 7:09 am

windsor wrote:I hope all goes well DD - althoough I am a certain age and should be having one of these my Drs have strongly recommended I not - I am one of thoses folk who do NOT sedate well - no matter what cocktail they try I end up with either grand mal seizures or they have one hell of time getting me to wake up. Apparently I stay awake way too long then 'drop like a rock' . :o
Thanks, Windsor. Romazicon (sp?) rapidly reverses benzodiazepam (sp?) sedation and Narcan reverses narcotic agents. But then, they should know that. :roll:

Report to follow.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2009, 7:15 am

I am embarrassed this AM. I feel like a teenager going out on a date for the 1st time or to the prom who just can't get that pimple to clear up before his/her big night. Here I am going to see my gastroenterologist (henceforth known as GI Doc), and I will be showing up with about a 5 day old zit in one of my gluteal areas that I just couldn't get cleared up prior to my "date"/visit. Anyone have any extra Clearasil this AM? Or some extra make-up ? Oh, what shame! :oops: :roll:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 29th, 2009, 7:17 am

TillyGalore wrote:
bjornolf wrote:First off, DD, you said you were joking about the graphic content. This thread is MORE than graphic enough for me.

Second off, Sue, while the procedure is not fun for anybody, you have to understand that for guys, this is something that is particularly bad, as we are trained almost from birth to avoid that kind of thing. You know, dropped soap jokes, horror stories, etc. So, for a guy, there's a certain psychological torture element that just isn't the same for women. Kind of like dad making you cut your own switch or pick your belt as a kid. Not to mention that MOST guys of "AARP age", as DD put it, have an at least SLIGHTLY enlarged prostate, which just makes the whole thing just that much more uncomfortable. :((

%%-
I'm calling BS on this. I had my first colonoscopy at the age of 26, there was nothing more humiliating than the visits that led up to the colonoscopy, or depressing when you're told you are at risk for colon cancer. Did I mention I was only 26 when all this happened? This isn't about being a man, this is not fun for ANYONE! Oh, and I get to have yearly mammograms, and yearly other womanly exams. You men have it much easier than us gals.

DD, good luck with your colonoscopy. Hope everything comes out okay. ;) ;)
Sorry, Tilly, but you just proved my point. I don't want to get graphic, but MOST guys have it HAMMERED into them that having ANYTHING stuck back there "makes you gay" or "if you like it, you're gay" or some other such nonsense. Boys play games about it and talk about it in the school yard (at least they did when I was a kid). Like I said, add to that that the "passage" is partially blocked by the prostate and if the prostate is enlarged (as it is at least a little for MOST men of "AARP" age as DD put it) it's even more uncomfortable. Like I said, it's NOT fun for anybody, but you add decades of being programmed from the time you go to kindergarten to fear and loathe something, it gets to you, no matter how sensible and grown up you are.

Think of it like this. You mention mammograms and other "womanly exams." If you'd been told from the time you were four several times a week that those were the most awful thing. That it was painful and dirty and wrong and that if you liked it, you would be something dirty and despised by everyone. If your parents never told you any different cause you didn't want to ask about it because even mentioning something like that to your parents was inappropriate. How do you think you would have been feeling going into your first exam? Even if somebody had told you that everything you'd heard is wrong, you'd still have a LOT of extra trepidation, wouldn't you? Add to that that you have a part of the anatomy that's enlarged so it'll make the process even more uncomfortable. Believe me, it's worse for guys than gals. Yes, it's awful and it sucks and it's horrible to have to hear about being at increased risk for colon cancer, especially at a young age. But take all that and add years of mental brainwashing and programming against it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 29th, 2009, 7:24 am

devildeac wrote:I am embarrassed this AM. I feel like a teenager going out on a date for the 1st time or to the prom who just can't get that pimple to clear up before his/her big night. Here I am going to see my gastroenterologist (henceforth known as GI Doc), and I will be showing up with about a 5 day old zit in one of my gluteal areas that I just couldn't get cleared up prior to my "date"/visit. Anyone have any extra Clearasil this AM? Or some extra make-up ? Oh, what shame! :oops: :roll:
You could always go with the old joke that is a true story from Reader's Digest about a woman that washed herself "down there" before an OB/GYN exam with a washcloth she found on the counter of her bathroom sink, not realizing her daughter had used that washcloth the night before to wash off her glitter makeup. The OB/GYN got a good laugh when he found all the sparklies "down there." Try that, and your GI will probably be laughing to hard to even notice your zit. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 29th, 2009, 7:25 am

devildeac wrote:I am embarrassed this AM. I feel like a teenager going out on a date for the 1st time or to the prom who just can't get that pimple to clear up before his/her big night. Here I am going to see my gastroenterologist (henceforth known as GI Doc), and I will be showing up with about a 5 day old zit in one of my gluteal areas that I just couldn't get cleared up prior to my "date"/visit. Anyone have any extra Clearasil this AM? Or some extra make-up ? Oh, what shame! :oops: :roll:
I'll lay ten to one odds that the doc has seen worse!

Whenever I'm feeling self conscious about something like this, it helps me to focus on having sympathy for the poor folks who have to DO these exams on people in the first place----all day long, day in day out. Bless their hearts. You're in and out of there in a heartbeat.

Good luck once more. Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 29th, 2009, 7:28 am

That reminds me of a friend who went to med school. When he was trying to pick a discipline, he kept saying he was tempted by gynecology and plastic surgery cause of all the stuff he'd get to see. I reminded him that he'd also get to see all that stuff in the worst conditions possible, including w/ horrible diseases. He ended up a radiologist. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 29th, 2009, 7:36 am

bjornolf wrote:Sorry, Tilly, but you just proved my point. I don't want to get graphic, but MOST guys have it HAMMERED into them that having ANYTHING stuck back there "makes you gay" or "if you like it, you're gay" or some other such nonsense. Boys play games about it and talk about it in the school yard (at least they did when I was a kid). Like I said, add to that that the "passage" is partially blocked by the prostate and if the prostate is enlarged (as it is at least a little for MOST men of "AARP" age as DD put it) it's even more uncomfortable. Like I said, it's NOT fun for anybody, but you add decades of being programmed from the time you go to kindergarten to fear and loathe something, it gets to you, no matter how sensible and grown up you are.

Think of it like this. You mention mammograms and other "womanly exams." If you'd been told from the time you were four several times a week that those were the most awful thing. That it was painful and dirty and wrong and that if you liked it, you would be something dirty and despised by everyone. If your parents never told you any different cause you didn't want to ask about it because even mentioning something like that to your parents was inappropriate. How do you think you would have been feeling going into your first exam? Even if somebody had told you that everything you'd heard is wrong, you'd still have a LOT of extra trepidation, wouldn't you? Add to that that you have a part of the anatomy that's enlarged so it'll make the process even more uncomfortable. Believe me, it's worse for guys than gals. Yes, it's awful and it sucks and it's horrible to have to hear about being at increased risk for colon cancer, especially at a young age. But take all that and add years of mental brainwashing and programming against it.

%%-
You're absolutely right. You guys have it much worse than us gals.
I worship the Blue Devil!
weezie
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by weezie » June 29th, 2009, 8:12 am

bjornolf wrote:That reminds me of a friend who went to med school. When he was trying to pick a discipline, he kept saying he was tempted by gynecology and plastic surgery cause of all the stuff he'd get to see. I reminded him that he'd also get to see all that stuff in the worst conditions possible, including w/ horrible diseases. He ended up a radiologist. ;)

%%-
Geez!!! Glad I finished that oatmeal before I checked in here! Yucky. Now I feel scared, too. :o
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 29th, 2009, 8:39 am

devildeac wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Rising early this Monday morning, DD, and sending good vibes your way for your exam this morning. It isn't bad......honest. You'll be in la la land the whole time. We're all looking forward to hearing about your breakfast reward! I suggest French toast at Elmo's.

Love, Ima
Thanks, Ima. We live in Raleigh so Courtney's is a more likely destination.

Report to follow.
I was going to suggest Courtney's as an alternative to Sami's. I love their omelets.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 29th, 2009, 8:55 am

TillyGalore wrote:You're absolutely right. You guys have it much worse than us gals.
Hey, I didn't mean that at all. I just meant that when it comes to specifically the colonoscopy and the prostate check, there's a psychological element to it that women just don't suffer from or understand. Well, women don't have to worry about the prostate check at all, obviously. ;) This conversation reminds me of a Jeff Foxworthy joke. He used to say that guys who want to video the birth of their child are weird. He said that men who want to tape their wives giving birth should only be allowed to if their wives get to film their future hemorrhoid procedure. He said in a woman's voice, "And here's Bill, fully dilated. He was such a trooper!" I assume that would apply to a colonoscopy as well. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 29th, 2009, 9:34 am

bjornolf wrote: Sorry, Tilly, but you just proved my point. I don't want to get graphic, but MOST guys have it HAMMERED into them that having ANYTHING stuck back there "makes you gay" or "if you like it, you're gay" or some other such nonsense. Boys play games about it and talk about it in the school yard (at least they did when I was a kid). Like I said, add to that that the "passage" is partially blocked by the prostate and if the prostate is enlarged (as it is at least a little for MOST men of "AARP" age as DD put it) it's even more uncomfortable. Like I said, it's NOT fun for anybody, but you add decades of being programmed from the time you go to kindergarten to fear and loathe something, it gets to you, no matter how sensible and grown up you are.

%%-
You've got to be kidding me.

I'd thought that most people were more enlightened than that.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 29th, 2009, 9:43 am

Yes, people are definitely more enlightened now. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay. I never said there was. It's just not for me. However, in 1981, when I was in elementary school, people were NOT so enlightened. Heck, when I was a kid "that's SO gay" was a perfectly normal expression that kids used every day without even thinking about it. Yes, I'm more enlightened NOW, but that doesn't undo a decade of psychological scarring and brainwashing as a kid.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 29th, 2009, 10:06 am

DermaBlend. It provides excellent coverage.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 29th, 2009, 10:17 am

devildeac wrote:HA! Made you look :roll: :lol: :oops:

As my "location" says, I am preparing for my first colonoscopy and I am so elated I can hardly stand it :roll: . In fact, for the rest of the afternoon and evening as well, I won't be able to "stand" it :lol: . As some may know, a screening colonoscopy is recommended for all those folks of AARP age or older. Well, after being too busy for too long, I have finally been convinced to undergo this wonderful procedure by my sweetie and, after today and/or tomorrow, I may never forgive her ;;) .

The prep began this AM. Well, it actually began last night after about 730 PM when my clear liquid diet began. I promptly proceeded to initiate it with a couple chilled, hand-crafted malted beverages. The details/reviews are not important as they have been reviewed before. :)) .

My children have conspired in this plot and fixed me a delicious cooked breakfast consisting of some peach Jello (they "cooked" the water last PM so the Jello would be set by this AM :roll: ), beef bouillion (yet another "cooked" item :roll: ) and some chilled lemon-lime Gatorade. Yummy.

More later. I can't take much more of this excitement. Plus, while I get prepared for all these liquids AND a potent laxative to start working, I get to PW some more. :)) :)) :(( :((

I've had some rather serious stomach problems for years and have had more colonoscopies than I can count. They honestly aren't a big deal so just relax and it will soon be over.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 29th, 2009, 10:20 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
Whenever I'm feeling self conscious about something like this, it helps me to focus on having sympathy for the poor folks who have to DO these exams on people in the first place----all day long, day in day out. Bless their hearts. You're in and out of there in a heartbeat.

Yeah, but they chose their careers. Plus, they get paid rather well for doing them. I've often offered to change places with my doc so long as I also got to collect the paycheque for the procedure.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » June 29th, 2009, 10:28 am

devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Can you ask for a little anti-anxiety pill before you have the procedure? Just to relax you a bit? Valium?
I believe I'll have some IV Versed and Demerol in all likelihood ;) :D . These procedures are done with conscious sedation so you are mild to moderately sedated and should remember little, if anything, about the procedure.
You're going to be sedated? Damn, the test will be a breeze then. I've never been sedated for a colonoscopy. I've never even been sedated for a cystoscopy (waaay more unpleasant than a colonoscopy). I've only ever been sedated for endscopies (because of the gag reflex) and, even then, I was dumb enough to go through one without sedation. Talk about a stupid idea.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2009, 10:58 am

weezie wrote:
bjornolf wrote:That reminds me of a friend who went to med school. When he was trying to pick a discipline, he kept saying he was tempted by gynecology and plastic surgery cause of all the stuff he'd get to see. I reminded him that he'd also get to see all that stuff in the worst conditions possible, including w/ horrible diseases. He ended up a radiologist. ;)

%%-
Geez!!! Glad I finished that oatmeal before I checked in here! Yucky. Now I feel scared, too. :o
Don't feel scared. Report a bit later.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2009, 11:00 am

TillyGalore wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Sorry, Tilly, but you just proved my point. I don't want to get graphic, but MOST guys have it HAMMERED into them that having ANYTHING stuck back there "makes you gay" or "if you like it, you're gay" or some other such nonsense. Boys play games about it and talk about it in the school yard (at least they did when I was a kid). Like I said, add to that that the "passage" is partially blocked by the prostate and if the prostate is enlarged (as it is at least a little for MOST men of "AARP" age as DD put it) it's even more uncomfortable. Like I said, it's NOT fun for anybody, but you add decades of being programmed from the time you go to kindergarten to fear and loathe something, it gets to you, no matter how sensible and grown up you are.

%%-

You're absolutely right. You guys have it much worse than us gals.
I am not touching this one except to say I'd call it a toss up or too close to call.
Last edited by devildeac on June 29th, 2009, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2009, 11:01 am

CathyCA wrote:
DermaBlend. It provides excellent coverage.
Wasn't aware of that. :oops: :roll:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2009, 11:03 am

colchar wrote:
devildeac wrote:HA! Made you look :roll: :lol: :oops:

As my "location" says, I am preparing for my first colonoscopy and I am so elated I can hardly stand it :roll: . In fact, for the rest of the afternoon and evening as well, I won't be able to "stand" it :lol: . As some may know, a screening colonoscopy is recommended for all those folks of AARP age or older. Well, after being too busy for too long, I have finally been convinced to undergo this wonderful procedure by my sweetie and, after today and/or tomorrow, I may never forgive her ;;) .

The prep began this AM. Well, it actually began last night after about 730 PM when my clear liquid diet began. I promptly proceeded to initiate it with a couple chilled, hand-crafted malted beverages. The details/reviews are not important as they have been reviewed before. :)) .

My children have conspired in this plot and fixed me a delicious cooked breakfast consisting of some peach Jello (they "cooked" the water last PM so the Jello would be set by this AM :roll: ), beef bouillion (yet another "cooked" item :roll: ) and some chilled lemon-lime Gatorade. Yummy.

More later. I can't take much more of this excitement. Plus, while I get prepared for all these liquids AND a potent laxative to start working, I get to PW some more. :)) :)) :(( :((

I've had some rather serious stomach problems for years and have had more colonoscopies than I can count. They honestly aren't a big deal so just relax and it will soon be over.
It's over...

But not in the Boozer sense... :roll: :D

Report to follow.