The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by TillyGalore » December 16th, 2011, 9:01 pm

DukePA wrote:Go Tilly!!!! Fingers crossed!!
Thanks!
I worship the Blue Devil!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 16th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Tilly, :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: and :pray: :pray: :pray: to you in your situation.

AD, :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: and :pray: :pray: :pray: continue for you in your search. May you have a job where you are appreciated, treated well and compensated appropriately.

(May I have a job like that, too, or maybe two out of three.)
Iron Duke #1471997.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 16th, 2011, 9:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: First off, major-league vibes to you for the job with internal medicine! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Thanks for the note of caution, and your point is well taken. I'd like to think you're wrong, but I can't say for certain that you are. Truth of the matter is, I did detect some traits of my ADH boss in the guy at UTMB, and that makes me a bit cautious in dealing with him. The traits I saw are ones that might make him perfectly capable of the old bait and switch. Fortunately for me, I have you to play devil's advocate (all puns intended), and I have the experience with a former boss to make me more aware of the warning signs.
I'm glad you took my words for exactly what they weren't to be, cautionary. I hope I'm wrong too, I really do. I just hate to see you walk away from a bad situation right into another, sort of like you already did. I'm very good at being a devil'd advocate. :)

Thank you for the vibes. Will keep ya'll posted regarding this job.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 16th, 2011, 9:06 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:Good luck with the resume and interview process. They would be getting a gem in you, Tilly!
Thank you,DInK. I think so too. :)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 16th, 2011, 9:07 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Tilly, :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: and :pray: :pray: :pray: to you in your situation.

AD, :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: and :pray: :pray: :pray: continue for you in your search. May you have a job where you are appreciated, treated well and compensated appropriately.

Thanks, LG. I hope we all have or find jobs where were are appreciated, treated well and compensated appropriately. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 16th, 2011, 10:22 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Tilly, :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: and :pray: :pray: :pray: to you in your situation.

Thanks, LG. I hope we all have or find jobs where were are appreciated, treated well and compensated appropriately. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Yeah, me, too! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » December 17th, 2011, 12:12 am

TillyGalore wrote:I have a little be of a job thing going myself. I'm applying for a job running the internal medicine residency program at Duke. This program is the largest graduate medical education program at Duke. While I love Surgery, sometimes you need to let go. This new position would be working with just one program instead of trying to manage 4-5. There is a lot of work involved with this, but again, one program. I know the hiring manager, and have known him almost the whole time I've been at Duke and have a really good rapport with him. Will be updating my resume this weekend so I can submit it next week and will be having lunch with the gal who is leaving the position (she saw an opportunity for growth and took it, much like how I'm viewing this) to talk about the good and bad of the job and people she worked with. The more I think about this job, the more I get excited about it. Need to reel myself in as I don't want to put the cart before the horse.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Good luck, Tilly! Sounds like a wonderful belated birthday present to yourself, jumping at the chance for a big growth opportunity.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 17th, 2011, 9:17 am

Best of luck, Tilly! :wizard: your way.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » December 17th, 2011, 9:46 am

Good luck Tilly! It sounds like a nice move up and an interesting challenge! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 17th, 2011, 10:00 am

Vibes to you Tilly and to AD. Usually things work out for a reason. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » December 17th, 2011, 7:20 pm

Lot of good luck on this Tilly! Vibes from Iowa!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » December 18th, 2011, 12:58 am

Wow! Tilly. You are one tough gal to keep track of! Never saw this coming. Great!!! Hope you get this and it makes you very, very happy! I like it when you are very, very happy! :happy-bouncyblue:
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 19th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Quick update: just got an e-mail from the folks at UTMB. They have posted a new position and sent me a link with instructions to apply ASAP so they can bring me in quickly. They upgraded the position so the salary is comparable to what I'm making now - maybe higher. It's not a faculty position, but we all know those can't be added overnight. Looks like they REALLY want me there. The ad is written to describe me EXACTLY - right down to the degree and specific work experience. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » December 19th, 2011, 5:01 pm

Hmm... you take off a few days and you miss things.

Vibes to Tilly!!
Sounds like good news, Arkie!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » December 19th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Lavabe wrote:Hmm... you take off a few days and you miss things.

Vibes to Tilly!!
I know! Based on the job description, I think this is actually far better for me than a tenure-track position. Why, you ask? Well, if I read the job description correctly, I get to perform independent research. My current job does not give me that opportunity. Moreover, it would be difficult for me to get a tenure track position without a proven track record of independent research. I know this because the question has been raised in previous job searches. So, it's definitely a step up from my current situation. And, if I play this correctly, it will be easier to step into a tenure track role. This gives me a little bit of time to focus and crystallize my research plans and establish myself independently - otherwise I'd be stepping into a tenure track position with no clear sense of which direction I want to go.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » December 19th, 2011, 6:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Quick update: just got an e-mail from the folks at UTMB. They have posted a new position and sent me a link with instructions to apply ASAP so they can bring me in quickly. They upgraded the position so the salary is comparable to what I'm making now - maybe higher. It's not a faculty position, but we all know those can't be added overnight. Looks like they REALLY want me there. The ad is written to describe me EXACTLY - right down to the degree and specific work experience. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :ymdevil:
Vibes this is the right job for you. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » December 19th, 2011, 9:16 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

Vibes to Tilly!!
I know! Based on the job description, I think this is actually far better for me than a tenure-track position. Why, you ask? Well, if I read the job description correctly, I get to perform independent research. My current job does not give me that opportunity. Moreover, it would be difficult for me to get a tenure track position without a proven track record of independent research. I know this because the question has been raised in previous job searches. So, it's definitely a step up from my current situation. And, if I play this correctly, it will be easier to step into a tenure track role. This gives me a little bit of time to focus and crystallize my research plans and establish myself independently - otherwise I'd be stepping into a tenure track position with no clear sense of which direction I want to go.
Congratulations, AD! Good luck with the process and making a decision. With your standards, I bet you will be able to attract research projects to a new location.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 19th, 2011, 9:43 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Quick update: just got an e-mail from the folks at UTMB. They have posted a new position and sent me a link with instructions to apply ASAP so they can bring me in quickly. They upgraded the position so the salary is comparable to what I'm making now - maybe higher. It's not a faculty position, but we all know those can't be added overnight. Looks like they REALLY want me there. The ad is written to describe me EXACTLY - right down to the degree and specific work experience. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :ymdevil:
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » December 19th, 2011, 9:56 pm

OK, I can feel my blood pressure starting to go down. This is very gratifying news. Good things DO happen to those who wait! Splendid. You go, girl!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukePA

Post by DukePA » December 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:

Vibes to Tilly!!
Double high fives, AD!!!!!!! I am so happy for you!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: