Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2011, 8:08 am

Our Special Ale-Anchor Brewing

I think the label on the neck said this was their 37th year of brewing this. Pretty amazing. I have given up trying to figure out what additives are in this brew each year but always happy to partake of a couple, usually 1 now and then aging one for a year and tasting the differences in a comparison. This year's edition is the usual lighter body porter style with a blend of nutmeg and allspice, but honestly, I really don't have a clue. A bit of pine and resin and a bit of mocha flavors, too. This is a fireside or sip with a dessert beer and our gingerbread cake from yesterday made a nice match with this. I'd guess about 30 on the IBU and the bottle claims 5.5% ABV so this is a nice session/sampler brew. This was a trader with dpslaw and I am thankful for his choice. I have a couple leftovers from 2010 so I'll report back later during the holiday season with an aged tasting, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 25th, 2011, 11:14 am

devildeac wrote:
bluebeer wrote:
CBS.jpg
Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout--Here is the description from Founders--"Canadian Breakfast Stout is an Imperial Stout brewed with a blend of coffees and imported chocolates, then aged in spent bourbon barrels that have most recently been aging pure Michigan maple syrup." They finally bottled this draft only beer as part of a series of special releases. My local bottle shop received 4 bottles of these a month or so back when it was released and I was lucky enough to get one of them. Shared the bottle with a few family members today after dinner instead of pie. I can easily say this was the best stout I've ever had and possibly the best beer overall. Decadent is probably the best way to describe it. Pours a rich thick black with a very thin head. The expected tastes of bitter coffee, dark chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, sweet maple syrup are all present but what separates this beer from several others is how well those tastes are blended together. Heavy and thick like the richest dessert but frighteningly smooth without the booziness and bite of some of my other favorite stouts (Bourbon County Stout). An incredible beer that exceeded all expectations..

=p~
^:)^

I knew I should have booked that flight...

:((
I saw in the review section of Beer Advocate that someone had tasted this at Village Draft House. Don't know that it's still available now though.

:9f:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Imperial IPA (Simcoe Single Hop)-Flying Dog Brewery

This is the 2nd in their single hop IIPA series but I am not sure which hop came first. I think this is a great concept so you can learn which hops impart which flavors to beers. Sierra Nevada did this with their Latitude 48 (?) series this summer, releasing a 12 pack of ales with 3 each IIRC of the 4 different varieties of hops they used in their brewing of the original product. I never bought it as I chose another sampler instead but I can't remember which one that was. Must have had made quite the impression on me 8-| .

Back to the ale at hand. The aroma and tastes are those of fresh grapefruit juice and zest. Very pungent and very clean. Pours a slightly cloudy medium yellow with a small head and very deceptive at 10% ABV and 70 IBU. I like the DFH 90 Minute IPA better but this is a very fine competitor and I shared a 12 ounce bottle last night with my son last night as a bed time brew but would match with spicy/hot foods also. This was a trader with my drug rep buddy and wouldn't hesitate to buy/sip/taste another or buy a 4 pack to trade a couple.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2011, 12:19 pm

devildeac wrote:Imperial IPA (Simcoe Single Hop)-Flying Dog Brewery

This is the 2nd in their single hop IIPA series but I am not sure which hop came first. I think this is a great concept so you can learn which hops impart which flavors to beers. Sierra Nevada did this with their Latitude 48 (?) series this summer, releasing a 12 pack of ales with 3 each IIRC of the 4 different varieties of hops they used in their brewing of the original product. I never bought it as I chose another sampler instead but I can't remember which one that was. Must have had made quite the impression on me 8-| .

Back to the ale at hand. The aroma and tastes are those of fresh grapefruit juice and zest. Very pungent and very clean. Pours a slightly cloudy medium yellow with a small head and very deceptive at 10% ABV and 70 IBU. I like the DFH 90 Minute IPA better but this is a very fine competitor and I shared a 12 ounce bottle last night with my son last night as a bed time brew but would match with spicy/hot foods also. This was a trader with my drug rep buddy and wouldn't hesitate to buy/sip/taste another or buy a 4 pack to trade a couple.

Here's there other one:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Correction to the above. It was Sam Adams who had the single hop Latitude 48 series 12 pack sampler this summer, not Sierra Nevada. I thought something sounded funny/odd/wrong about that. I bought the Sierra Nevada 12 pack sampler called Beer Camp that had 4 of their different "beer camp" brews from over the years :ymblushing: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2011, 3:15 pm

devildeac wrote:

Correction to the above. It was Sam Adams who had the single hop Latitude 48 series 12 pack sampler this summer, not Sierra Nevada. I thought something sounded funny/odd/wrong about that. I bought the Sierra Nevada 12 pack sampler called Beer Camp that had 4 of their different "beer camp" brews from over the years :ymblushing: .

Here's the 1st one I sampled/reviewed:

"Weizenbock-The Best of Beer Camp #37- 2011-Sierra Nevada

Intriguing concept from SN that they have carried out for several years with this being the 1st time I have seen any of these in NC. Packaged as a 12 pack box and comprised of 4 different brews for about $18 or $19. A fine way to sample the brews without buying entire 6ers of each and also not having to pay singles prices.

This is a typical wheat bock as it pours a cloudy orange-brown with pungent aromas of banana, clove and orange peel and tastes to match. It is a lager so the IBU are low, guessing 20-30 and the ABV is pretty standard for a bock at 6.8%. It is just light enough to be enjoyed in the spring or summer yet with enough flavor and body to make a nice fall brew or pair with mild BBQ chicken, ribs or pork. This appears to be a nice assortment for trading/sharing."

Quoting myself now. Sheesh. Anything for another post :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (2010-11 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

Still one of my favorite beers, 15 years after first sampling it at a beer festival at the Omni (I think), which is now the Marriott I think, in downtown Derm. Black, oily and silky smooth with a small tan head, this brew still reminds me of a dark chocolate malted with a stiff shot of whiskey or two. I have always sipped this over an hour at cellar temperature and tonight is no different. I'll guess the IBU at 70 and the ABV is 10%. There is no chocolate, coffee or oatmeal in the brew as best I can tell so all the flavors come from heavily roasted chocolate and black malts. Ideal by itself, it also makes a fine beverage with any chocolate (single, double or triple) dessert or save 1/2 a bottle to make a beer float with a scoop or two of Breyer's pure vanilla ice cream. I think the year of aging has made it a bit smoother but it is dangerously drinkable when purchased. I'll let you know again next week as the 2011-12 product has arrived and I bought a 4 pack for about $8 a couple days ago. I'll also report back on some older vintages over the next couple weeks. Stellar.

Just so you don't miss it on the shelves:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 27th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Harvest Ale-Goose Island Brewing

I have not had an ESB in a while and this ale was a very nice example. A bit less bitter than I thought at 35 IBU, this single hop ale was a bit fruity and a bit piney and, at a fairly standard ABV of 5.7%, worthy of being included in a session or with a meal of burgers, brats, chicken or ribs from the grill. Lavabe brought this for my private enjoyment after daughter #2's wedding last month and I will use the extra as a trader next month :D .

Goose me!

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 28th, 2011, 9:38 am

Buckshot-Natty Greene's Brewing

Brewery based in Greensboro that produces a bunch of session brews and this is an amber ale. The only one I have really liked so far is their brown ale and this one will not make my list of favorites, though it is passable. Light to medium brown color, lightly hopped (guessing IBU of 20 or so) with floral notes and mild ABV in the 5% range. Good for cook outs and sammiches. My son had a couple guys over after Thanksgiving and their beers were PBR (I guess that's a beer), this and Bell's Best Brown Ale. There were none of the latter left, 2 of the Natty's and 4 of the PBR. I kept the 2 Nattys, one to sample and 1 to trade. He got two 6ers to take back to DC with him. One had the 4 PBR and 2 skunky Yuenglings left over from his friends' poor choices from their last visit. The other was comprised of good single leftovers I had from the last month or two. His friends know better than that.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 30th, 2011, 8:03 pm

For you hop heads/beer knurds in NC:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/30/ ... k=misearch

"State Rep. Tim Moffitt, an Asheville Republican, said the change would help attract the Colorado-based New Belgium and the California-based Sierra Nevada to open East Coast production facilities, potentially creating about 275 jobs and more than $200 million in capital investments.

New Belgium is looking to open a facility in Asheville and Sierra Nevada is eyeing property in Hendersonville, officials said."

=p~

:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 1st, 2011, 8:03 am

l,Our newest member, Law Talking Guy, was choosing between a Burton Baton and an Immort Ale in Section 21 on Tuesday night. We need to get him reading this thread and reviewing an ale or three for us.

:-w :whistle:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 1st, 2011, 10:39 pm

Belgian Style Yeti-Great Divide Brewing

Yet another twist on the Yeti brew, this one remains an imperial stout but is brewed with a Belgian yeast that imparts a bit of dark fruitiness and sourness to the usual flavors you would expect from a typical RIS and they are dark chocolate and espresso. The other Yeti are about 70 IBU and this one is about the same and carries an ABV of 9.5%. I split this $8 bomber over 2 nights and recommend it highly for dessert buy itself or with the usual chocolate suspects, too.

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 2nd, 2011, 8:00 am

devildeac wrote:Belgian Style Yeti-Great Divide Brewing

Yet another twist on the Yeti brew, this one remains an imperial stout but is brewed with a Belgian yeast that imparts a bit of dark fruitiness and sourness to the usual flavors you would expect from a typical RIS and they are dark chocolate and espresso. The other Yeti are about 70 IBU and this one is about the same and carries an ABV of 9.5%. I split this $8 bomber over 2 nights and recommend it highly for dessert buy itself or with the usual chocolate suspects, too.
Mmmm, that sounds tasty. Any idea how many Yeti there are now?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 2nd, 2011, 8:24 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

I bought two ;) . And we should be down at the coast next weekend ;) ;) .

If their web site is correct, they now have 5 Yeti.

1. Yeti
2. Oak Aged Yeti
3. Belgian Style Yeti
4. Espresso Oak Aged Yeti
5. Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Damn, come to think of it, there are more Yeti than there are Bigfoot/Bigfoots/Bigfeet :)) .

No telling what they might have as draft only concoctions at the brewery but they don't count 'cuz I can't taste them :( .
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » December 2nd, 2011, 10:57 am

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

I bought two ;) . And we should be down at the coast next weekend ;) ;) .

If their web site is correct, they now have 5 Yeti.

1. Yeti
2. Oak Aged Yeti
3. Belgian Style Yeti
4. Espresso Oak Aged Yeti
5. Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti

Damn, come to think of it, there are more Yeti than there are Bigfoot/Bigfoots/Bigfeet :)) .

No telling what they might have as draft only concoctions at the brewery but they don't count 'cuz I can't taste them :( .
They also make a full barrel aged Yeti-whiskey/bourbon barrels. A few bottles made their way up here recently but I was not lucky enough to track one down.
dpslaw

Post by dpslaw » December 3rd, 2011, 10:43 am

devildeac wrote:I want one of these:

Are you reading, dpslaw?

;;) ;;)
According to their website, Founders is in the process of increasing their capacity to produce seasonal/specialty beers like CBS and KBS. They say they are doing it slowly and carefully in order to maintain quality. Maybe I'll be able to find some to bring to our tailgates next year!

:9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2011, 4:15 pm

I bought myself an early Christmas present :ymblushing: :D . An Ommegang gift box with one each of Three Philosophers, Hennepin and Gnomegang and an Ommegang goblet was included.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » December 3rd, 2011, 6:04 pm

devildeac wrote:I bought myself an early Christmas present :ymblushing: :D . An Ommegang gift box with one each of Three Philosophers, Hennepin and Gnomegang and an Ommegang goblet was included.
Nice pick up...I've only seen those sets in the past with chocolate indulgence..the gnomegang is a nice addition
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2011, 9:35 pm

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:I bought myself an early Christmas present :ymblushing: :D . An Ommegang gift box with one each of Three Philosophers, Hennepin and Gnomegang and an Ommegang goblet was included.
Nice pick up...I've only seen those sets in the past with chocolate indulgence..the gnomegang is a nice addition
Last year's gift set included Chocolate Indulgence, IIRC, and we had already tasted that at a 2010 Brunchgate if my memory serves me well. I think the Hennepin is $7, the Three Philosophers is $10 so I get the goblet and a 9.5% brew that I have never had before from a great brewery for $8. I was pleased. The Duvel gift set is $15 and that is for a 4 pack of Duvel which is usually $12-13, so the goblet is $2 or $3. Not bad either. Maybe I will treat myself again for the holidays :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 5th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Pepe Nero-Goose Island Brewing

A Belgian style ale brewed with peppercorns. Quite a unique brew. The brewer's notes call this a farmhouse ale but I usually think about those as lighter and more funky, grassy brews. This had plenty of fizz and a light tan head but was not opaque/black/thick enough to confuse with a stout. The Belgian yeast imparts a bit of the barnyard funk to it and the peppercorns give it a bit of a sharp bite but not bitterness as the IBU are only 30 and the ABV is 6%. This would be fine with hard, sharp cheeses, brisket, stews and ribs. Lavabe brought a couple of these on his family's trip in October for our older daughter's wedding and I am not quite sure what to do with the second bottle. Trade? Share? :think:

Some brewer's notes:

With an aroma of roasted chestnuts and a mysteriously dark, mahogany hue, Pepe Nero is a farmhouse ale brewed with black peppercorns. His roasty sweetness melds into a lingering, earthy, black pepper finish that is ideal for pairing with grilled meats and roasted vegetables.

Recipe Information:
Style: Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale
Alcohol by Volume: 6.0%
International Bitterness Units: 30
Color: Mahogany
Malt: Pilsner, Rye, Crystal Rye, Black Malt
Hops: Pilgrim, Saaz

Serving Suggestions:

Preferred Glass: Wide Mouth Glass

World Beer Championships Recognition:
Judging Category: Saison
2011: Gold Medal

And, so you don't miss it on the shelf:

Goose me!