Can I change the display size of my image in my signature?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Can I change the display size of my image in my signature?

Post by bjornolf » April 13th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Is there some way to resize the image shown in my signature? It's rather larger than it shows over on DBR. Is there some code I can put in the sig to just display the picture a little smaller? Thanks.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Can I change the display size of my image in my signature?

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2009, 4:42 pm

bjornolf wrote:Is there some way to resize the image shown in my signature? It's rather larger than it shows over on DBR. Is there some code I can put in the sig to just display the picture a little smaller? Thanks.
You will have to resize it to the size you want and then upload it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 13th, 2009, 4:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Is there some way to resize the image shown in my signature? It's rather larger than it shows over on DBR. Is there some code I can put in the sig to just display the picture a little smaller? Thanks.
You will have to resize it to the size you want and then upload it.
Thanks. It just makes it SO grainy. Look at my avatar image. It's pathetic. Is there some way to resize without destroying the image quality?
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2009, 5:16 pm

I'll download the one you above and resize in Photoshop for you. I'll PM you back when I'm done, it will be later tonight. (Making dinner and stuff + other honeydo's)
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 13th, 2009, 5:22 pm

I guess I'm just hopeless. I've resized the one in my current sig like seven times. I've got the file down to 64 kb and 120/90 pixels, but it's still showing up huge on the signature. I don't get it.

Thanks. Can you resize my avatar one so it doesn't look so crappy? Thanks.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 14th, 2009, 9:12 am

The avatar picture is SO frustrating. I took the picture with a decent camera. If I leave the picture BIG, it's gorgeous, but when I try to shrink it to the size requirement, it just goes to crap. I would think that SHRINKING a picture wouldn't degrade it like that. I must be doing something wrong. I have a decent photo program (Microsoft Digital Image Pro) that does SO many things well. I must just be doing something wrong when I resize it (it has three options, size in pixels, size in inches, and resolution, and you can lock one of them. I usually try to lock resolution at the highest possible setting, but that doesn't seem to help. I've tried the others too, but it doesn't seem to work. I've even tried other pictures, but they just seem to go to crap when I try to shrink them to 120x120). Windsor and Tilly and other's avatars look great. Mine look like crap. Heck, the THUMBNAIL of my photos look better than my avatar. AAARGH!
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 14th, 2009, 9:30 am

Send me the photo you want to use through PM. The one in your signature changed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » April 14th, 2009, 9:45 am

I think I want to use the current one. It's vertically shorter, and horizontally longer, so it'll fit better as a signature. I'll be happy to PM them to you when I have time. They're on my other computer that I almost never use, so it may take a couple days. If you can fix my avatar, I'll owe you big time. Maybe you could tell me what I'm doing wrong, too. That might let me do it right myself so I don't have to bug you for help. Both pictures are on my flicker page, www.flickr.com/photos.bjornolf, but if you need me to PM them to you, I'll be happy to. Thanks again.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 14th, 2009, 10:18 am

I use a web site to resize pictures for the internet. I have it bookmarked on my home computer and will try to put a link here tonight.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 14th, 2009, 11:18 am

bjornolf wrote:The avatar picture is SO frustrating. I took the picture with a decent camera. If I leave the picture BIG, it's gorgeous, but when I try to shrink it to the size requirement, it just goes to crap. I would think that SHRINKING a picture wouldn't degrade it like that. I must be doing something wrong. I have a decent photo program (Microsoft Digital Image Pro) that does SO many things well. I must just be doing something wrong when I resize it (it has three options, size in pixels, size in inches, and resolution, and you can lock one of them. I usually try to lock resolution at the highest possible setting, but that doesn't seem to help. I've tried the others too, but it doesn't seem to work. I've even tried other pictures, but they just seem to go to crap when I try to shrink them to 120x120). Windsor and Tilly and other's avatars look great. Mine look like crap. Heck, the THUMBNAIL of my photos look better than my avatar. AAARGH!
For an avatar here, I'd recommend keeping the resolution of the resized image at 72 pixels/inch. That's the resolution of a computer screen, so there's no need to keep the resolution higher for an avatar. Keep the resolution constrained, then resize to 100x100. And then when you output/save it, keep the JPG quality as high as you can.
-- DukeUsul
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 15th, 2009, 9:36 pm

bjornolf (sorry about the w earlier, don't know what I was thinking), here the link to the site I use to resize pictures.

http://www.phixr.com/
I worship the Blue Devil!