Final TB'CC of '11, Duke vs. GT@12:30 PM - Social Discussion

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Final TB'CC of '11, Duke vs. GT@12:30 PM - Social Discussion

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 13th, 2011, 11:15 am

TOO EARLY,TOO EARLY, TOO EARLY! But the game time was finally announced.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Final TB'CC of the year - Duke vs. GT @ 12:30 PM

Post by devildeac » November 13th, 2011, 11:37 am

Seafood breakfast?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 13th, 2011, 1:27 pm

It is too early. (-| As far as the seafood breakfast, that's fine with me. I can eat seafood anytime. :duke:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 13th, 2011, 3:45 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:It is too early. (-| As far as the seafood breakfast, that's fine with me. I can eat seafood anytime. :duke:
Ymm, shrimp rice krispies and flouder flapjacks :ymblushing: .
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 13th, 2011, 3:54 pm

devildeac wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:It is too early. (-| As far as the seafood breakfast, that's fine with me. I can eat seafood anytime. :duke:
Ymm, shrimp rice krispies and flouder flapjacks :ymblushing: .
:)) :))
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Final TB'CC of '11, Duke vs. GT@12:30 PM - Social Discus

Post by CathyCA » November 13th, 2011, 4:23 pm

YAY! I'm grateful for the early kickoff. I need to have Christian at RDU at 8:30 for his flight out to California, so we'll head on over after dropping him off.

I wish I could look forward to the football game with the same enthusiasm that I look forward to the tailgate. I'm seriously questioning why we keep buying tickets to watch Duke lose football games.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 13th, 2011, 4:47 pm

CathyCA wrote:YAY! I'm grateful for the early kickoff. I need to have Christian at RDU at 8:30 for his flight out to California, so we'll head on over after dropping him off.

I wish I could look forward to the football game with the same enthusiasm that I look forward to the tailgate. I'm seriously questioning why we keep buying tickets to watch Duke lose football games.

The team's performance is getting better. The talent is getting better - they are faster, stronger, better conditioned, more athletic than they were 2 years ago. They will be better next year. They "should have" won 3 games they lost this year, but they didn't. What could have been ... was. Offensive Coordinator and play calling issues aside, there is great optimism for this program going forward. NOW is NOT the time to give up hope and stop supporting the team (like one certain asshole towel guy has done.)

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 13th, 2011, 5:03 pm

I/we will have 4 guests, -bdbd and family are using the group's (4) tickets for this game!

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 13th, 2011, 5:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:YAY! I'm grateful for the early kickoff. I need to have Christian at RDU at 8:30 for his flight out to California, so we'll head on over after dropping him off.

The team's performance is getting better. The talent is getting better - they are faster, stronger, better ...
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 13th, 2011, 6:35 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

The team's performance is getting better. The talent is getting better - they are faster, stronger, better ...
We are gonna need that guy with as many injuries as we had yesterday.

:auto-ambulance:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 13th, 2011, 7:14 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

The team's performance is getting better. The talent is getting better - they are faster, stronger, better conditioned, more athletic than they were 2 years ago. They will be better next year. They "should have" won 3 games they lost this year, but they didn't. What could have been ... was. Offensive Coordinator and play calling issues aside, there is great optimism for this program going forward. NOW is NOT the time to give up hope and stop supporting the team (like one certain asshole towel guy has done.)

If I give up on a losing football team, does that make me an asshole?

In all sincerity, I feel like I'm wasting a lot of effort to go in there and watch a team that can't win the "should have" games. Where is the return on my investment? It's been four years now. . .

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 13th, 2011, 7:46 pm

CathyCA wrote: In all sincerity, I feel like I'm wasting a lot of effort to go in there and watch a team that can't win the "should have" games. Where is the return on my investment? It's been four years now. . .

Actually, it's over 40 years, with only a couple of brief blips mixed in. It took K four years, but he only plays 5 players at a time and only needs 7 or 8 "top quality" players, including reserves, to be a top team, with maybe 1 superstar to turn a program around. The number of football players needed is obviously much larger, and it takes longer to "assemble" that group and get them playing at a high level; realize that a great recruiting class in football, with rare exception, doesn't contribute (mature) until their 3rd (or 4th) year in school. So to have 3 quality classes playing as 5th year seniors and down, you're in your 5th, or more likely your 6th year as coach before your better recruits are in place and contributing, and winning. Of course, calling the right plays along the way would help hasten the situation ;) Patience and lots more tailgates are required before giving up is in order! :D

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 13th, 2011, 8:08 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

If I give up on a losing football team, does that make me an asshole?

In all sincerity, I feel like I'm wasting a lot of effort to go in there and watch a team that can't win the "should have" games. Where is the return on my investment? It's been four years now. . .

You're both right. We are better: bigger, faster, stronger. But we are not "there" yet. We are better conditioned and leaner than in the Roofian and Frankian times. But other teams are still bigger, faster and stronger than we are. We are not getting embarrassed and losing by large margins giving up 40+ points and almost 500 yards every game. Just some of them. Now it's 3 more games we should have won this year instead of 0 or 1 more. We are not the worst D1 team in the nation as we were for several years. The stupid penalties are far less, though we still burn a valuable TO now and then to avoid a delay penalty. I also wish this year that we went 2 deep on the PK chart.

But, it is maddening how receivers routinely run routes (how's that for alliteration ;;) ?) 2-3 yards short of the 1st down. It's frustrating to see us average 1.2 yards/carry and continue to run the ball. I am tired of "bubble" screens and running the offense east-west instead of aggressively downfield. I am disgusted with allowing our foes repeated conversions on 3rd and long with missed tackles and leaving receivers wide open with just enough yardage to move the chains X( . Or, 5 yards behind our last defender for an easy 50+ yard pass completion. I, too, wonder at times about our return on investment.

I don't know what the answers are. I don't know who we would get to coach the program if/when Cut leaves, now, next year or when he retires. You've got to win some more to put warm (or cold) butts in the seats. I think the Richmond game this year drove away quite a few casual fans who concluded the more things change, the more they remain the same. Ditto with Wake, but they may have been staying away already (Or, in other words, We Are [still] Duke). You've got to win to attract better recruits. I expect improvement and that includes winning 1-2 more of those games that are winnable, like Richmond and Wake this year and Merlin and Army last year. And perhaps an upset or two a year. A certain FB manager thinks the same. He wants to see results and those are turning those 3-9 seasons into 5-7 or 6-6 seasons and going to a minor bowl or three. He's tired of excuses and tired of losing. Many of us are. We are close but we need some breakthroughs with recruits, near perfect games perfomances, some effing officials who don't ignore obvious penalties and maybe a coaching change or two (cough, cough, Roper) before we start to progress more rapidly.

I share your doubt, concern and frustration. I am kind of glad we have a 1230 KO this Saturday as I am discouraged enough this year to want the home FB season finished and to have a date with my wife on a Saturday night that does not include wedding planning, cussing at my favorite FB team and 6 (or 7) :obscene-buttmoon: :obscene-buttred: :obscene-buttsmiley: :obscene-buttsway: :o) :o) :o) :o) wearing striped shirts with whistles attached to the wrong GI orifice trying to screw us because We Are Duke. I truly enjoy the company at Brunchgates and the way we take care of ourselves, both personally and gastronomically, and they count very highly toward keeping us coming back.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 13th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Preliminary forecast: 64 and sunny :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 13th, 2011, 10:49 pm

devildeac wrote:You're both right. We are better: bigger, faster, stronger. But we are not "there" yet. We are better conditioned and leaner than in the Roofian and Frankian times. But other teams are still bigger, faster and stronger than we are. We are not getting embarrassed and losing by large margins giving up 40+ points and almost 500 yards every game. Just some of them. Now it's 3 more games we should have won this year instead of 0 or 1 more. We are not the worst D1 team in the nation as we were for several years. The stupid penalties are far less, though we still burn a valuable TO now and then to avoid a delay penalty. I also wish this year that we went 2 deep on the PK chart.

But, it is maddening how receivers routinely run routes (how's that for alliteration ;;) ?) 2-3 yards short of the 1st down. It's frustrating to see us average 1.2 yards/carry and continue to run the ball. I am tired of "bubble" screens and running the offense east-west instead of aggressively downfield. I am disgusted with allowing our foes repeated conversions on 3rd and long with missed tackles and leaving receivers wide open with just enough yardage to move the chains X( . Or, 5 yards behind our last defender for an easy 50+ yard pass completion. I, too, wonder at times about our return on investment.

I truly enjoy the company at Brunchgates and the way we take care of ourselves, both personally and gastronomically, and they count very highly toward keeping us coming back.
:spork: :spork: :spork:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
-bdbd
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by -bdbd » November 13th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Devildeak: But, it is maddening how receivers routinely run routes (how's that for alliteration ?) 2-3 yards short of the 1st down. It's frustrating to see us average 1.2 yards/carry and continue to run the ball. I am tired of "bubble" screens and running the offense east-west instead of aggressively downfield. I am disgusted with allowing our foes repeated conversions on 3rd and long with missed tackles and leaving receivers wide open with just enough yardage to move the chains . Or, 5 yards behind our last defender for an easy 50+ yard pass completion. I, too, wonder at times about our return on investment.
Right there with you buddy. Watched the whole UVA game on Sat on TV and was very frustrated. I sure hope that we can recruit some line talent and soon! I know there's plenty of it red-shirting on offense this year, but the D line really needs help, and they lose their best player this year, who is a Senior! Ugh! I hope they can "solve" (or at least slow down) that Gat Tech option running attack. ~X(

Thanks goes out to Oz for hosting my family and me this coming weekend. I'm bringing my beautiful bride and girls 8 & 9. We're very much looking forward to the BB game Fri night vs Davidson, then Brunchgate and FB game early Sat. And of course we're thrilled to see everyone again this weekend! Still need to work out what we can/will bring food-wise - Oz has advised that drinks (sodas) and bagels are always welcomed... =p~

See y'all there. Should be lots of fun!!

-BDBD :)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 14th, 2011, 9:22 am

-bdbd wrote:Devildeak: But, it is maddening how receivers routinely run routes (how's that for alliteration ?) 2-3 yards short of the 1st down. It's frustrating to see us average 1.2 yards/carry and continue to run the ball. I am tired of "bubble" screens and running the offense east-west instead of aggressively downfield. I am disgusted with allowing our foes repeated conversions on 3rd and long with missed tackles and leaving receivers wide open with just enough yardage to move the chains . Or, 5 yards behind our last defender for an easy 50+ yard pass completion. I, too, wonder at times about our return on investment.
Right there with you buddy. Watched the whole UVA game on Sat on TV and was very frustrated. I sure hope that we can recruit some line talent and soon! I know there's plenty of it red-shirting on offense this year, but the D line really needs help, and they lose their best player this year, who is a Senior! Ugh! I hope they can "solve" (or at least slow down) that Gat Tech option running attack. ~X(

Thanks goes out to Oz for hosting my family and me this coming weekend. I'm bringing my beautiful bride and girls 8 & 9. We're very much looking forward to the BB game Fri night vs Davidson, then Brunchgate and FB game early Sat. And of course we're thrilled to see everyone again this weekend! Still need to work out what we can/will bring food-wise - Oz has advised that drinks (sodas) and bagels are always welcomed... =p~

See y'all there. Should be lots of fun!!

-BDBD :)
Welcome to the crazietalk asylum. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. Early :D .
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » November 14th, 2011, 9:40 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

WELL SAID Larry! Duke Football has had many injuries this season. And Coach Cut has raised Duke Football from the dead. We have a great coach and a stronger and more athletic team. So many close games this season.

Who really cares that "CRAZY.... thats a good adjective.... Towel Guy Herb is at Football games or not! I saw him Walk out of Blue Devil Club on 2 occassions. He would ask the coaches detailed questions and make embarrassing statements. Good ridance! And if the students, actually knew him, like we do..... the Chant "Crazy Towel Guy" would go away.

I can't imagine even making a statement about WHY DO WE GO TO FOOTBALL GAMES? Support the Team and the Coaches..... they are getting there. If your son played Duke Football, you would support your child and want others to come and support the Program. We need fans in the seats, so future Recruits with good talent will want to come to Duke and play and compete!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » November 15th, 2011, 11:35 am

The team needs the Six Million Dollar Man........... so many injuries this season. And so many starters. Kyle Hill is out for the season!

We need faithful Fans going to the games, week after week, to Put Cheeks in the Seats to somewhat fill or partially fill Wallace Wade Stadium. So important for the Future Recruits and their Families when they come for a visit to Duke.

Don't be like Herb (Crazy Towel Guy)! Please Don't. He is one way to the students, because they don't know. him...... and another way to everyone else.

It takes years to rise from the ashes. Duke Football was brushed away for so long. Coach Cut could have gone back to Tenn and taken his whole staff with him. But he stayed at Duke! It will take years of recruiting, redshirting and getting good OFF and DEF linemen to come to Duke. But Cut is doing all he can. He has brought the DUKE brand.... over to Football.

The coaches, staff, football team, cheerleaders, dance team, managers...... need to know the FANS will be there on Game Days and support Duke Football. Its easy to be a Duke Basketball fan.............

I was a Duke fan and attended games as a child. And there were maybe a handful of Duke fans in the entire grade school. I was a Duke fan, when it wasn't cool. You couldn't buy Duke anything, anywhere... other than on the Duke campus. Different today. Thank goodness!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 15th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Of all the buttons that Ima has made for us, this is my favorite! :D B-)
Attachments
Duke Football - I showed up before it was cool.jpg