Duke vs Belmont

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Duke vs Belmont

Post by Bob Green » November 10th, 2011, 11:43 pm

Duke is a 12 point favorite in Vegas. I'm nervous. The new season is upon us and that is great. I intend to enjoy the ride.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke vs Belmont

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 11th, 2011, 8:00 am

I'm going to miss the game tonight, but hopefully I'll at least be listening on the radio. I don't know a thing about Belmont, but with only a 12 point line, they must be better than I am expecting. I bet we'll have wider spreads expected against some ACC teams.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2011, 9:44 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm going to miss the game tonight, but hopefully I'll at least be listening on the radio. I don't know a thing about Belmont, but with only a 12 point line, they must be better than I am expecting. I bet we'll have wider spreads expected against some ACC teams.
Top 25-50 RPI ranking. Return 5 starters from a 30-5 team last year. This will not be an early season cupcake. I think you are correct and they will probably be better than several ACC teams we play this year. :-ss
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » November 11th, 2011, 10:49 am

devildeac wrote:This will not be an early season cupcake.
Belmont is very good. I read somewhere that this will be the toughest season opener since Seton Hall in 2001. DBR poster Airowe has a detailed preview of Belmont posted on his blog:

http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/11/09/ ... -11-11-11/
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » November 11th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Should be a good game. Duke is still working out some kinks while this Belmont team returns pretty much everything from a 30 win team last season, so I wouldn't be at all surprised for us to struggle.

My guess on the starters:
Curry
Rivers
Dawkins
Kelly
Miles

But I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly or Dawkins come off the bench and Mason or Murphy get the start. Or even Thornton I guess. Been several years since the starting lineup had so many question marks on opening day.

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » November 11th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:Been several years since the starting lineup had so many question marks on opening day.

I agree. There are eight players who have a legitimate chance to be in the starting lineup tonight: Miles, Mason, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, Seth Curry, Tyler Thornton, Austin Rivers and Alex Rivers. I'll roll the dice and predict:

Miles Plumlee
Mason Plumlee
Andre Dawkins
Austin Rivers
Seth Curry

I believe Ryan Kelly is best suited to fill the 6th man role on this team.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Bob Green wrote:
Jesus_hurley wrote:Been several years since the starting lineup had so many question marks on opening day.

I agree. There are eight players who have a legitimate chance to be in the starting lineup tonight: Miles, Mason, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, Seth Curry, Tyler Thornton, Austin Rivers and Alex Rivers. I'll roll the dice and predict:

Miles Plumlee
Mason Plumlee
Andre Dawkins
Austin Rivers
Seth Curry

I believe Ryan Kelly is best suited to fill the 6th man role on this team.
That's a good thought process. I'd like to keep one of the Plumlees on the bench until the 1st TV TO so we don't have two bigs with 2 PF each at the ~16 minute mark of the 1st half :p .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Whew!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » November 12th, 2011, 7:14 am

devildeac wrote:Whew!
QFT, though that last second 3 makes it appear even closer than it was. And it was very close. We did play from the lead for all of the game that I was able to see(2nd half).
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 12th, 2011, 7:51 am

I didn't see the game, but I listened to it and heard TT's and Mason's name a lot. I was happy about both.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 12th, 2011, 9:35 am

devildeac wrote:Whew!
#:-s , indeed!

Mason has the numbers to prove out as MOTM.

Tyler gets 'Bedeviler'.

Now, the problems as I see it.
The guard play of this bunch appears suspect. I don't demean their talent. It's some judgement matters that I have under question. They are looking a little on the wild side and could be well served to exercise a bit more cautious approach to dribble-driving. Too many charge calls were given up by those that chose to take it a tad too far. I understand the new 'smile' line makes it tougher and will take some getting used to. Not only for the players, but also, for the fans. As the season progresses, I feel sure our coaching staff and players will become more and more accustomed to it. Credit to Belmont for their defensive adjustments to get the whistles in their favor. The game has changed more dramatically by this 'smile' painted down on the lane, than many fans will acknowledge. It does one basic thing...
to be successful, college basketball offenses must become an 'INSIDE-OUT' game.
More so by the pass rather than the dribble-drive.

Rivers has some of the best directional fake moves I've seen in a long, long time. I only wish he were a little bit taller. He was unfortunately the perpetrator of most of the control-challenged ball handlers, that were in white uniforms, last night. Seth was a close second place.

Thornton was true spark plug. However, he needs to pace himself somewhat. He's a Cheeta that blows himself out, running wide-open, and then burns out of gas for the want of endurance. Evident in his defense, getting fouls called because he's exhausted and reaching instead of being in position. I would like to have seen more of Cook but I suppose the training staff is being properly cautious.

A good test for Maui by the scheduling of another game in less than 24 hours. I expect to see better today, against a lesser opponent. Belmont is very talented and should have good year.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 12th, 2011, 1:02 pm

As with Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek 2 years ago, the defensive intensity picks up a notch when Tyler Thornton is in the game. I think it says a lot that he was in the game when it was on the line. Many fans bemoaned the LT/Zoubeard duo because they didn't score a lot of points, but the team was simply better when they were on the court IMO. I see the same thing happening with TT, and also to some extent with RK. That's not to say they don't make the occasional silly mistakes, but on the whole I love to watch them both. Interestingly, TT's play was a big topic of conversation in the Fraschilla/J-Will postgame discussion. Both think he should be starting point guard, allowing Curry to play his more natural position. It will be interesting to see if this happens.

Mason was simply phenomenal against Belmont. Paraphrasing J-Will in the post-game, Duke needs THAT Mason, consistently, every game this season. With that being said, I will reiterate and emphasize Windsor's Rule: Plumlees should not dribble. Bad things often happen.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein