Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

Nook & Kindle book finding

Post by bluebutton » November 8th, 2011, 6:23 am

I have a question about these ereaders.

For the Kindle, it seems like you can get books by buying from Amazon or some libraries have a few titles that you can "borrow".

The Nook is supposed to support an open file standard. So you can get books from the B&N store, libraries, and _____.

So where can you get books, particularly free books, that can be put on a nook? I'm trying to decide which to put on my wishlist and the Kindle seems more straight forward but the nook seems to have more options if I do a little digging.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Nook & Kindle book finding

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 8th, 2011, 7:43 am

I got Mrs. Ozzie a Nook last Christmas. B&N has a ton of free downloads, mostly classics, a free new book every month, and the public library has a selection (check with your local library or do a search of other libraries to see what's available).

Check with EJ - he sells these!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » November 8th, 2011, 10:21 am

bluebutton wrote:I have a question about these ereaders.

For the Kindle, it seems like you can get books by buying from Amazon or some libraries have a few titles that you can "borrow".

The Nook is supposed to support an open file standard. So you can get books from the B&N store, libraries, and _____.

So where can you get books, particularly free books, that can be put on a nook? I'm trying to decide which to put on my wishlist and the Kindle seems more straight forward but the nook seems to have more options if I do a little digging.
I work for Barnes & Noble but am far from a "pushy salesman." That said, I really do think you should pick the Nook. The Kindle is a great product, and much of it comes down to preference (touch screen vs. buttons), but with the NOOK, you'll get many more free books and the customer service alone is worth the choice. One example: Problem with NOOK? Just bring it in the store and we fix it up (or give you a new one) in minutes. With the Kindle, it's not that easy at all.

We have three types of NOOKs out now (Simple Touch, Nook Color and Nook Color II). The Simple Touch is the lowest cost and is just an e-reader (with e-Ink technology, much like the original Kindle and NOOK). The Nook Colors are like I-Pad lights. Great products and the Nook Color I just got dropped in price to $199. It has Flash capability and more than 250 Apps. Very easy to surf the Web and the e-reader function is outstanding.

Feel free to PM me with a list of questions and I will be happy to answer them for you. I can also reply with phone number if you wish to discuss.

Thanks!

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » November 8th, 2011, 12:51 pm

I'm pretty sold on the Nook Simple Touch; I'm just curious about what using it is like and finding/downloading books outside the B&N system.

If the ST were $70 I would buy it for myself; @ $99, I'll just put it on my wishlist and see if my family will get it for me.

(I actually put the Nook on my Amazon wishlist--ironic.)
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » November 8th, 2011, 12:58 pm

I have one of the old-skool nooks. I have uploaded regular old pdf's to it and been able to view them on it. You can find tons of free e-books in pdf format on smashwords.com that can be used.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 9th, 2011, 11:40 pm

And there is a free book every Friday from B&N. I figure even if I don't know the author, you can't beat the price. :D
Life is good!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 10th, 2011, 10:07 pm

The Gutenberg project is one place to look.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Their most popular free e-books:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top
-- DukeUsul
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » December 29th, 2011, 3:56 pm

My bro and sis-in-law did indeed get me a nook simple touch for Christmas and I'm really enjoying it. I read about 400 pages on in the 2 days after Christmas while tending 2 sick kids and a sick husband.

However, about once a day I'm "hard resetting it" b/c it's not recognizing my touch and therefore won't unlock. Anybody know if this is normal or if I should seek help at the store?
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » December 29th, 2011, 10:43 pm

bluebutton wrote:My bro and sis-in-law did indeed get me a nook simple touch for Christmas and I'm really enjoying it. I read about 400 pages on in the 2 days after Christmas while tending 2 sick kids and a sick husband.

However, about once a day I'm "hard resetting it" b/c it's not recognizing my touch and therefore won't unlock. Anybody know if this is normal or if I should seek help at the store?
Bluebutton,

Glad you are enjoying your NOOK! That, however, is NOT normal. You should be able to take it to the store and they should swap it out for a new one no questions ask (if you have receipt). Your books or content will not be lost as it is on your account.

If you have any questions or need any other help, just shoot me a PM.

Best,

-EarlJam
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » December 31st, 2011, 5:15 pm

Thanks EJ!

I went to my local B&N and they tried a firmware update. So far, 100 pgs later, that seems to have helped tremendously. So we'll see. They were very nice and helpful about it.

This was my first trip to my local B&N--parking was nutz, but the interior was the nicest B&N I'd ever been in and I thought the ones in LA were quite nice.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » January 1st, 2012, 7:40 pm

bluebutton wrote:Thanks EJ!

I went to my local B&N and they tried a firmware update. So far, 100 pgs later, that seems to have helped tremendously. So we'll see. They were very nice and helpful about it.

This was my first trip to my local B&N--parking was nutz, but the interior was the nicest B&N I'd ever been in and I thought the ones in LA were quite nice.
Thanks and good to hear that you had a positive experience! That is the MAJOR thing that B&N offers over Amazon: Customer Service.

We (I speak for my store) really take a lot of that personally. We want to help and will do anything we can to keep our customers happy with their NOOKs!

If you ever have another problem with it, or questions in general, please just ask. I'd be glad to help!

-EarlJam
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 1st, 2012, 7:43 pm

bluebutton wrote:This was my first trip to my local B&N--parking was nutz, but the interior was the nicest B&N I'd ever been in and I thought the ones in LA were quite nice.
Lower Alabama?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 1st, 2012, 9:49 pm

EarlJam wrote:
We (I speak for my store) really take a lot of that personally. We want to help and will do anything we can to keep our customers happy with their NOOKs!

If you ever have another problem with it, or questions in general, please just ask. I'd be glad to help!

-EarlJam
EJ - I got Mrs. Ozzie a black and white screen Nook last year for Christmas. She just asked me to ask you if there are any upgrades that can be done to it? (other than buying a new one...)

EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » January 3rd, 2012, 10:44 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
EarlJam wrote:

-EarlJam
EJ - I got Mrs. Ozzie a black and white screen Nook last year for Christmas. She just asked me to ask you if there are any upgrades that can be done to it? (other than buying a new one...)
Hi Oz. Unfortunately, we can't do upgrades, especially on the b&w units purchased last Christmas. Sorry. Man, if there was any way I could do something I most certainly would!!!!

-EJ
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 3rd, 2012, 12:42 pm

EarlJam wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
EarlJam wrote:

-EarlJam
Hi Oz. Unfortunately, we can't do upgrades, especially on the b&w units purchased last Christmas. Sorry. Man, if there was any way I could do something I most certainly would!!!!

-EJ
Well that sucks! Booooo! But thanks for letting me know. B-)

EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » January 3rd, 2012, 2:14 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Well that sucks! Booooo! But thanks for letting me know. B-)
Hey Ozzie, check your PM folder!!

-EarlJam