Ben's College Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

Ben's College Thread

Post by Ben63 » June 25th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Today is June 25th, exactly 2 months until I start my education at the University of Pittsburgh. There are multiple uses for this thread that include (but certainly not limited too)

College Advice
Things I don't know I need to take
Things I think I need to take but don't
Prank ideas
College stories

Anything goes really. Anything you want to let me know, post away. Things you want me to find out on my own, don't post it. I'm excited/scared to find out what might actually get posted here. And Cell-R, pay attention this will be you soon.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ben's College Thread

Post by CathyCA » June 26th, 2009, 12:02 am

Are the washers and dryers coin operated, or can you use a debit card? If the washers and dryers are coin-operated, take several rolls of quarters.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 26th, 2009, 12:13 am

I'll share my father's words of wisdom when he left me at Duke - Remember, there is more to an education than books.
Life is good!
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » June 26th, 2009, 12:40 am

Most of my clost friends during and after college, even now, 12 years after graduation, were my freshman year hallmates. Be open to meeting new people, all sorts, across all experiences - you never know who will become part of your inner circle. That also means, in order to meet those new people, you have to seek out opportunities outside your comfort zone. It'll be great if you know some friends from HS when you head to Pitt, but be sure to shake them off now and then, and strike out on your own.

As for things to take, what's your living situation going to be? Dorm? Apartment? Shared house? Do you know your roommate going in, or will it be blind choice? If you can find out before you go, be sure to coordinate on the big things (TV, fridge/microwave, etc.) At Duke, there was always some upper classmen selling all sorts of useful things - fridges from the last year's seniors; carpets for the dorm room; kits for lofting your beds. Don't think you have to buy *everything* ahead of time; but also be prepared for hellish lines at the local Walmart or Target on move-in weekend.

If there's a chance you'll be "going Greek," you might want to do some homework on when Rush starts, what frats are on campus, etc. I never thought I'd join a sorority, but I met a bunch of women who also thought they'd never join a sorority... in a sorority, so it was a natural fit. And those women are still like sisters - when I was stuck in the Denver airport last holiday season, a sister offered, at 11PM at night, to drive 1+ hours to come pick up me and my husband and put us up for the night. And she was 8 months pregnant at the time. :o

Like I said, you never know who you may meet that will become a lifelong friend.

Dang, now you have me wanting to have that new experience all over again. You're so lucky!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » June 26th, 2009, 9:31 am

I'll echo DA. Get involved to find friends. I really couldn't stand most of the guys on my freshman hall, and I'm not friends with any of them today. I had to get involved in various activities to find people I liked.

Early on, anytime you ask an upperclassmen directions, or how something works, take it with a grain of salt. They may send you around the other side of campus to get to something close by just for the fun of it. :D

Don't declare a major when you first start unless you absolutely have to. Take a variety of classes your freshman year to see what you like. Take classes you'll enjoy. It makes it so much more worth it to actually be interested in what's going on in class.

Become friendly and get to know a couple of profs in your major area. It'll help to have them write recommendations for you for grad school or a job when you graduate.

Have fun but don't do anything that'll go on a permanent record. You'll regret it later. :ymsick:

Don't sign up for every credit card offer that gets thrown at you just for the free t-shirt.

If you are allowed to bring a car, prepared to be the everyone's chauffeur. You may want to hold off on the car anyway.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 27th, 2009, 9:12 am

I agree with everything here. I'd also add that if people start abusing you for your car, start charging them for gas. That should slow it down, and if it doesn't, at least you won't have to pay for all the gas. Listen to Jeff Foxworthy for that. If you're the designated driver, abuse THEM for being drunk and stupid. Stop at every gas station on the way home and make them pony up. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » June 27th, 2009, 3:25 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
As for things to take, what's your living situation going to be? Dorm? Apartment? Shared house? Do you know your roommate going in, or will it be blind choice? If you can find out before you go, be sure to coordinate on the big things (TV, fridge/microwave, etc.) At Duke, there was always some upper classmen selling all sorts of useful things - fridges from the last year's seniors; carpets for the dorm room; kits for lofting your beds. Don't think you have to buy *everything* ahead of time; but also be prepared for hellish lines at the local Walmart or Target on move-in weekend.
I actually just got my room assignment yesterday and I was put in a single room. I know there are pros and cons to a single room but I think I will like it. If I ever need privacy or a quiet place I have my own room. I don't have to deal with a drunk roommate barfing at 3am. Obviously I will have to work a little harder to make friends but I think it'll be ok. And I have alot more room to myself. The doubles at Pitt are 178 sq ft and the singles are 124 sq ft so thats something thats a plus.

And I will not be taking a car. Pitt students use their Pitt ID to take Pittsburgh City Public Transit for free.

Ill be in Lothrop Hall
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 28th, 2009, 7:29 am

Ahh, the swingle...

Not sure if I got the spelling right on that one.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 28th, 2009, 8:42 am

Yeah, singles are nice. After going to boarding school for four years for high school, I KNEW I wanted a single. 90% of the rooms at my school were singles, but nobody had locks on their doors, so we might as well have had 100 roommates, as they were always coming in and "borrowing" things, which drove me nuts. So, I got a doctor's excuse from my allergist when I went to Duke and got a single all four years. ;) Yea, baby! That excuse also got me a window air conditioning unit in Hanes House on north, which didn't have air. That was SWEET! I liked my room a nice, cool 67 or so, so I'd even run that baby in the winter!

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 29th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Go to class. Seriously, just show up and pay attention. In many disciplines and with many profs, this is a big key toward success in a class. It will help you get a feel of the professor's style and what they might be most interested in seeing on tests, papers, etc. It will also save you countless hours of late-night cramming, which will never educate you as well as class can.
I'm not saying never miss a single class meeting in four years (road trips and certain other emergencies are perfectly acceptable excuses), but be the kid who only misses a couple of classes, if that, per semester. Sometimes, it'll be hard, like when your less diligent friends are goofing off or you just plain don't want to. But trust me; you'll have plenty of time to have fun...besides, the really good stuff happens in the dark anyway. ;)
weezie

Post by weezie » June 30th, 2009, 11:40 am

Don't forget to call your mom once in a while! @};-
Turk

Post by Turk » August 6th, 2009, 3:24 am

Ben, what's the latest? How are the college preparations going thus far? What are your biggest concerns at this point?
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 6th, 2009, 8:20 am

Turk wrote:Ben, what's the latest? How are the college preparations going thus far? What are your biggest concerns at this point?
Yeah, I want to hear :)
Especially considering I just discovered this thread!
Class of 2014
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » August 6th, 2009, 9:28 pm

Funny this gets brought up because I just got back from PittStart which is basically orientation. I drove in Thursday and got into my dorm for the night and went to a few of the sessions (computer, student life, etc.) The whole thing was alot of fun especially playing poker in the lounge until 2am with some guys who are surely going to be some close friends of mine over the next four years. Friday was the session at the Business school. Interesting but kind of dragged on. Then I scheduled my classes and was out of there. Taking 14 credits but I think I'm going to throw in 3 more with a geography class. Currently scheduled I have Psych, Calc, Intro to Microeconomics, English Composition, and Business 1.

As far as prep and planning goes I'm really ready to go. I can't stand my summer job (warehouse) and can't wait for college. I'm in the process of buying my books and once those come in I should be set. Definitely going Amazon.com for books, waaay cheaper.

Same cannot be said for my mom however, she is getting crazier every day. It really starting to drive me nuts but I know its only gonna get worse the next few weeks. Three of my best friends are already gone (Navy, Wake Forest, and St. Francis) and I think its really weighing down on her that my time is very soon. I know it's all going to be fine. I'm not real picky. She wants me to have new towels, sheets, comforter, etc but I'm content with the stuff that I already have. When she brings up the idea of new towels I think it frustrates her that I don't care if I use the ones I've been using for 5 years.

As I said I'm ready to go and have fun and do a little learning too. Heinz Field on Saturday (and Sunday too if I'm lucky) is going to be awesome. Basketball will be different. It's really going to be weird rooting for a team that's not Duke. I still love the Devils but I'm gonna have to pull for the Panthers if they go head to head. And now I really have no idea if the ACC or Big East is better...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 6th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Ben63 wrote:Funny this gets brought up because I just got back from PittStart which is basically orientation. I drove in Thursday and got into my dorm for the night and went to a few of the sessions (computer, student life, etc.) The whole thing was alot of fun especially playing poker in the lounge until 2am with some guys who are surely going to be some close friends of mine over the next four years. Friday was the session at the Business school. Interesting but kind of dragged on. Then I scheduled my classes and was out of there. Taking 14 credits but I think I'm going to throw in 3 more with a geography class. Currently scheduled I have Psych, Calc, Intro to Microeconomics, English Composition, and Business 1.

As far as prep and planning goes I'm really ready to go. I can't stand my summer job (warehouse) and can't wait for college. I'm in the process of buying my books and once those come in I should be set. Definitely going Amazon.com for books, waaay cheaper.

Same cannot be said for my mom however, she is getting crazier every day. It really starting to drive me nuts but I know its only gonna get worse the next few weeks. Three of my best friends are already gone (Navy, Wake Forest, and St. Francis) and I think its really weighing down on her that my time is very soon. I know it's all going to be fine. I'm not real picky. She wants me to have new towels, sheets, comforter, etc but I'm content with the stuff that I already have. When she brings up the idea of new towels I think it frustrates her that I don't care if I use the ones I've been using for 5 years.

As I said I'm ready to go and have fun and do a little learning too. Heinz Field on Saturday (and Sunday too if I'm lucky) is going to be awesome. Basketball will be different. It's really going to be weird rooting for a team that's not Duke. I still love the Devils but I'm gonna have to pull for the Panthers if they go head to head. And now I really have no idea if the ACC or Big East is better...
Let your mother buy you new towels, tell her what color you want, even if it's white.

Where are you in terms of birth order? If you are the youngest, she may be feeling very sad that her last birdie is out of the nest.
I worship the Blue Devil!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 6th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Ben63 wrote:Funny this gets brought up because I just got back from PittStart which is basically orientation. I drove in Thursday and got into my dorm for the night and went to a few of the sessions (computer, student life, etc.) The whole thing was alot of fun especially playing poker in the lounge until 2am with some guys who are surely going to be some close friends of mine over the next four years. Friday was the session at the Business school. Interesting but kind of dragged on. Then I scheduled my classes and was out of there. Taking 14 credits but I think I'm going to throw in 3 more with a geography class. Currently scheduled I have Psych, Calc, Intro to Microeconomics, English Composition, and Business 1.

Just humor your mom. It really is hard for them. And eventually, I promise you'll enjoy the new stuff.
Just wait 'til you come home for fall break...if your parents are anything like mine, they'll treat you pretty well then, too. I still have a pair of topsiders my dad bought me over my freshman year fall break, and as terrible as they look (and smell), they remain my favorite shoes ever.

I remember when we took my brother (a year ahead of me in school) to Wake Forest. We took two cars because there was too much stuff to fit it all plus four people in one car. I rode back to Atlanta with my mom, and upon driving up the driveway and rounding the house to the carport, there was my brother's car, needing to be moved. Mom immediately burst into tears, and that was the first moment I really realized how emotionally trying it all is for parents. I moved the car for her that night and did my best to be dutiful, and of course everything worked out.
But my point is, just humor her. If you have to, just enjoy the experience of scoring some nice new stuff.
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » August 7th, 2009, 4:06 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Where are you in terms of birth order? If you are the youngest, she may be feeling very sad that her last birdie is out of the nest.
I'm the first to go. My brother is the next and last 2 years from now.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Ben63 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Just as bad, as you are the first. If you were in the middle she might be okay, but you're the first to fly out of the nest. As Wilson and I mentioned earlier, humor her and let her buy you whatever you need. Tell her you'd like to have input on what she gets in terms of color, texture, etc. Course that may be more of a girl thing, in which case disregard. :D :D
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 7th, 2009, 4:26 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Ben63 wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Just as bad, as you are the first. If you were in the middle she might be okay, but you're the first to fly out of the nest. As Wilson and I mentioned earlier, humor her and let her buy you whatever you need. Tell her you'd like to have input on what she gets in terms of color, texture, etc. Course that may be more of a girl thing, in which case disregard. :D :D
My nephew starts at Penn State in a few weeks and we didn't let him determine this. Two aunts and an uncle combined to get him new sheets, towels, laundry bag, etc. for him to take to school along with a Target gift card. We joked that we really should get the new sheets and towels for his mom to have at the house.

Perhaps you can tell her that you will take the older sheets/towels so that she can have new sheets/towels to put out for you when you come home. Tell her it will make you feel even more special when you come home.
Life is good!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 8th, 2009, 11:37 am

Thanks for the update Ben, Mom is being mom. What you're going through as far as getting out of your job and the house is mind wrenching, it's worse than waiting for Christmas as a 5 year old. The anticipation is murder. Great to hear you made some friends already, best wishes in your college career.
The ACC is better.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.