Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Lavabe » October 24th, 2011, 9:50 am

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:Up next:

Sweetwater-Motor Boat

Leaf Season – Silver medal winner “08 & 09 Great American Beer Festival! Our titillating version of an ESB. Dry Hopped for a face full of flavor.
Specs – 5.6% ABV and available in six packs, 15.5 Gallon ½Bbl Kegs (US Sankey) and 5 Gallon torpedo kegs
Grain – 2 Row, Carapils, Vienna Malt, 70/80, 13/17, 40L
Hops – Cascade, Sterling US Golding Dry Hopped with Cascade
Awards - Silver medal winner “08 & 09 Great American Beer

Part of their Catch and Release series.
As advertised. A clear, medium brown pour with fairly balanced grains and flowers and a modest head. This would be fine as a fall beer with some bangers and mash or shepherd's pie and even some fish and chips. Burgers would work well, too, with some sharp cheddar. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40. I got 2 of these this week so one will appear in a trader soon. Army game?
Motorrrrrrrrr Bbbbbbbbboat (2011 edition)-Sweetwater

Same as last year. A faceful of excitement :ymblushing: . Part of my Father of the Bride assortment I'll enjoy over the next week or so.
I figured this would be the opener, to go with the nice selection of cheeses.

By the way, I tossed in a few non-dinner selections, hopefully so that you could share with others.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 24th, 2011, 10:27 am

From Lavabe (I messed up the editing): "I figured this would be the opener, to go with the nice selection of cheeses.

By the way, I tossed in a few non-dinner selections, hopefully so that you could share with others."
I actually had this last evening just prior to bedtime and not with the wedding dinner :ymblushing: . It never made it to the reception. I got it out of Rachel and Jason's 'fridge Sunday afternoon and added it to the other 2 or 3 I did not drink at the reception. Ozzie sat next to me so he's the only one who experienced any sharing, unfortunately. I had enough trouble getting around to speak to half the guests, let alone trying to have a beer tasting, too. Not meant to be contradictory/disagreeable/argumentative either. Just practical. Heck, the bride, groom and MotB made up the table assignments. Maybe we shoulda had a "beer" table and not family, friends, wedding party and other "themes" for the seating assignments. ;;)

Remember the 3 S's (it's actually 4 S's) principle/s for the FotB...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 24th, 2011, 10:32 am

devildeac wrote:From Lavabe (I messed up the editing): "I figured this would be the opener, to go with the nice selection of cheeses.

By the way, I tossed in a few non-dinner selections, hopefully so that you could share with others."
I actually had this last evening just prior to bedtime and not with the wedding dinner :ymblushing: . It never made it to the reception. I got it out of Rachel and Jason's 'fridge Sunday afternoon and added it to the other 2 or 3 I did not drink at the reception. Ozzie sat next to me so he's the only one who experienced any sharing, unfortunately. I had enough trouble getting around to speak to half the guests, let alone trying to have a beer tasting, too. Not meant to be contradictory/disagreeable/argumentative either. Just practical. Heck, the bride, groom and MotB made up the table assignments. Maybe we shoulda had a "beer" table and not family, friends, wedding party and other "themes" for the seating assignments. ;;)

And I spent half the night trying to keep the wait staff from taking his special FotB beer glass back to the kitchen with the other empties... =)) I missed it one time and one of the waiters brought it back to him!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 24th, 2011, 10:37 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:From Lavabe (I messed up the editing): "I figured this would be the opener, to go with the nice selection of cheeses.

And I spent half the night trying to keep the wait staff from taking his special FotB beer glass back to the kitchen with the other empties... =)) I missed it one time and one of the waiters brought it back to him!
And the engraved glass, which was a totally different glass than any other stemware ar the fracking reception, still disappeared at the end of the night, despite the fact I was using it a a damned vase for the bride's flowers after I drank my 2 beers for the evening. Holy $%*&, what was I supposed to do, tape it down or put a big freaking sign on it that said "DO NOT TOUCH?" Sheesh! (rant not directed at Ozzie)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Gravitation-Smuttynose Brewing

This was quite a surprise to taste and I wish we had not left it on the table for a while before opening, though many times, ales like this are best at "room" temperature, which on Saturday, happened to be about 65 degrees :)) .

This is a "quad" or quadruple ale. Think about it as an imperial double/Belgian brown ale richly redolent with aromas of dark, dried fruits, brown sugar and dark rum. Hops have a minimal presence here, guessing an IBU less than 30. Total Wine lied on their sign describing this brew as CB&B told me it said 8.5% ABV. It took 1 sip, and a knowledge of the style, to realize it was much higher as I thought certainly >10% and probably 11% or greater. Well, upon further review, the brewer's notes confirmed our palatal suspicions and this monster is 12.5% ABV. It was rather boozey, therefore the thoughts and tastes comparable to a dark brown rum. It was not a breakfast beer and would be much better served in small aliquots as a dessert beer, but then again, "rummy" tastes and our homemade banana pudding and deliciously rich and sweet French toast casserole were pretty darned good breakfast dessert pairings, too :D . It was made even better finding our it was about $6 for the bomber. I only had about 6 ounces of this but I am glad I limited my intake as I had to drive back to Raleigh for lunch with the groom yet I'd bet I could find another of these to enjoy this fall or cellar until next year. :ymapplause: ^:)^ for CB&B's find here.

You'll find another unique fact if you read the brewer's notes below.

Belgium is known around the world for its six unique abbey breweries. Inside the monastery walls, Trappist monks oversee production of rich, fully flavored beers that range from light in body and alcohol to strong, rich and dark. These sacred beers are known by the names enkel or single, dubbel and tripel. Singles are the lightest in both color and alcohol and can be seen as analogues to triples, which are also light bodied and colored but can be quite sweet and as strong as 10%. Dubbels can be simply described as Belgian brown ales; they exhibit a rich, malty flavors, spicy yeast notes and typically range from 7%-9%. Dubbels haven’t had a stronger counterpart until the relatively recent arrival of Quadrupels, or “Quads.”

With alcohol contents as high as 12%, “Quads” are the richest of the rich and the boldest of the bold and Smuttynose Gravitation is no exception. Deep chestnut colored, with rich toffee and caramel malt flavors, Gravitation isn’t just sweet and boozy. The use of special, imported Belgian malts and raisin paste contribute unifying fruitiness that brings harmony to the other two flavor groups. The prominent malt character makes Belgian-style quads an excellent candidate for aging, as long as you store your bottles upright in a cool, dark space.

Food Pairings
Gravitation is a hearty and hefty beer, so it’ll pair well with foods that are intensely flavored and heavy. Earthy foods like wild game and bleu cheeses stand up to Gravitation’s intensity by playing against the sweet malty character. If earthy isn’t your thing, seek out dishes that are fatty, tart or a combination of the two; foods like pork belly, mushroom ragout or rabbit with kriek, a classic dish of Belgian beer gastronomy.

Stat Box
12.5% ABV
25 IBU

Starting Extract: 24.9 Finishing Extract: 3.0
Malts: North American 2-Row, Cara-Red, Aromatic, Special B, C-60, Wheat
Hops: Sterling
Special Guests: Demerara Sugar, Amber Belgian Candi Syrup, Dark Belgian Candi Syrup, Raisin Paste
Yeast: White Labs WLP-500 Trappist Ale
Production Size: 150 barrels (4650 gallons)

Make Mine a Smutty!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Georgia Brown-Sweetwater Brewing

Wedding beer week. This was included in my FotB cooler at the wedding and I am just enjoying it tonight. Medium brown and clear, this classic brown ale is as "smooth as a Bill Clinton apology." Generous amounts of caramel and chocolate malts give this a nutty, roasted, toffee-like taste with minimal hop bitterness. I'd guess an ABV about 5% and IBU of 25-30. Pair this with burgers, brats or some pulled pork and you have the recipe for a fine cook out. Thanks to daughter #1, new SIL and Lavabe, their beer advisor. :ymapplause: ^:)^
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 29th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Organic IPA-Napa Smith Brewing

Celebration beer from DD Daughter #1 and new SIL. Enjoyed this week, several days after the wedding. Orange, banana, pineapple, grapefruit. Well, maybe no banana tastes but certainly a very citrusy brew. I'm gonna guess some wheat malt and/or an unfiltered brew, or both, as this was a mildly foamy and cloudy pour with a mild caramel malt balance. ABV at 7.1% on the bottle and I'll estimate 60 IBU. These folks don't have too much info on their web site. In fact, they only have 3 brews listed and this is not one of them. Good with some pork stir fry and brown rice a couple days ago. Well worth a trade and/or a 6er. Thanks to Lavabe for his beer guidance.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Porter-Founders Brewing

Simple name, excellent brew. This is probably one of the better porters on the shelves. Dark brown, modest tan head and espresso-milk chocolate notes rule here. Hops lend a minor presence at 45 IBU and the heavily roasted malts give way to an ABV of 6.5%. Great pair with roasted/BBQ pork or beef or chili. Buy 1 or buy 6 or trade for this brew and you will not be disappointed.

dpslaw is becoming quite a beer knurd (sic) as this was a trader from him at last week's Weddinggate. Well done. :clap: ^:)^
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2011, 10:55 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:Ten Fidy-Oskar Blues-This is a viscous, smooth and mildly oily Russian imperial stout and a really, really good one. Nearly black and opaque that pours with a small dark tan one-fingered head. Lots of black and chocolate malts with flaked oats (I cheated and looked at their web site) with very modest bitterness despite an IBU of a monstrous 95. The ABV is 9.5% and it tastes like a shot of whiskey in a dark chocolate malted, reminding me very much of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Even more amazingly, this marvelous brew comes in a 4 pack of cans. It reminds me an awful lot of the BBCS, one of my favorite all-time beers for the last 10+ years. Serve this in a pint glass at cellar temps and enjoy your sipping for an hour or so. Fabulous by itself, with some ordinary chocolate desserts like cookies or pound cake, or with something even more decadent like a chocolate torte or flourless death-by-chocolate type cake. I think 8-x and CB&B each got one of these and anxiously await their thoughts. Hope rmd has savored a couple of these, too.

Found the 2010 version a couple weeks ago and am finishing one now. The review is essentially the same except this year's version whacks your palate at an ABV of 10.5%. Two for me, 1 for CB&B and 1 for the little boy who lives in the lane, err, DC. If you see a 4 pack of this, buy it. Outstanding beer.
I'm recycling this review as it is such a great RIS and deserves repeating and you can't imagine my surprise yesterday when dpslaw pulled this out as his trader for whatever swill I traded to him, comparatively speaking. That guy is seriously selecting some outstanding brews to bring to Brunchgate.

:-BD :clap: ^:)^
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2011, 10:27 pm

devildeac wrote:Hop Wallop-Victory

Their 2-3 year old entry into the IIPA field and a very good one. This is a clear, clean yellow pour with a slightly sweet Tropicana grapefruit juice taste. Or, tons of citrus and a sweet caramel balance. I'd guess the IBU to be 80-90 with an ABV of 8.7%, IIRC. This is pretty similar to the DFH 90 Minute and that is quite a brew. Serve this with a spicy fruit salsa and some grilled tuna or grouper or with some curry. Or, have it after dinner.

This was from the 6er that Scott brought to Bamagate so if you are reading this Cathy, please send him a big thanks. I told him about CTN and pointed out our banner and that we had about a 2300 post beer thread and he seemed interested in joining :D .
Worth another post in 2011. Not many Victory brews I don't like. This was a trader from a drug rep who calls on me.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 2nd, 2011, 11:11 pm

Euphoria-Ska Brewing

This was a trader from my drug rep buddy and pretty new, or else the folks at Ska are waaaay behind on updating their beer list. Solid American style pale ale which means it's a lot like an English IPA. Copper colored with a modest foamy head and piney, resinous hops. Toasty, bready malt backbone. IBU about 50-60 and the ABV is about 6% making it a nice session brew. My session last night consisted of this, a few emails and perusal of the board and resting my head on the pillow for about a 6.5 hour nap :D . This would be great with grilled fare like burgers, sausages, chicken bosoms and ribs. Note: this is a canned brew but I would not hesitate having another.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 2nd, 2011, 11:36 pm

Winter Solstice-Anderson Valley Brewing

I have not tasted this in several years and got this as a trader a couple weeks ago. Nice choice. This is an amber ale with nutmeg added and perhaps a bit of cinnamon and proves to be rather pleasant at 6.9% ABV and a very low IBU at 6 which I find hard to believe as this makes it lower than most lagers. Very malty and toasty with a clear pour, modest head and would be a nice addition to one's dessert menu with some ginger cookies or pumkin bread. This is another canned brew.

This is how it used to be packaged:

:D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 5th, 2011, 11:46 pm

IPA (Certified Organic)-Eel River Brewing

New brew from new company. Fairly standard fare here with a piney resinous nose and taste with probably pale, crystal and caramel malts for balance and a bit of toffee flavor. Bitterness is moderate, guessing IBU at 60-70 and the ABV is 7.2%. Copper in color and crisp with a modest head. Fine ale to have with mildly spicy foods. This was a trader from a drug rep recently and I'd have another if offered.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 6th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Pumpkinfest-Terrapin Brewing

A pumpkin beer in the Oktoberfest style, or a Marzen, which is actually a lager and you have Pumpkinfest. Take a light amber brew, add a bunch of spices, some pumpkin, a few lighter malts and floral, aromatic hops and you have a pretty traditional pumpkin beer. I'd guess the IBU to be 20 or less and the ABV is 6.1%. I had this last PM but it would be tasty with baked/stuffed French toast (in a casserole or not :D ), fall breads, cookies or cakes or almost anything our chefs at TBCC have grilled this FB season so far. This was a trader with dpslaw. Thanks!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 7th, 2011, 4:32 pm

Old Jubilation-Avery Brewing

Hands down one of the better winter ales I have ever had. Following the German Laws of Purity, they take the only 4 ingredients "allowed" in beer and turn them into a fabulous winter warmer. Deep brown with hints of ruby, this English style old ale has a small head, slight piney and herbal hop notes/bitterness and a melange of flavors from nuts to dark caramel, milk chocolate and medium roast coffee, all without the benefit of any additives. I'd guess the IBU to be in the 20-30 range and the ABV on the bottle is 8.2%. It is not bottle conditioned AFAIK, but they claim it is cellarable for up to 2 years. This would be worth a 6er to sip, share and cellar for a year or two and see if the flavors changed any. I got one of these as a trader from my drug rep buddy a couple weeks ago and I will search out another 6er soon for those exact reasons. I f you wished to pair with foods, I'd suggest beef roasts, ribs or a grilled NY strip, ribeye or filet.

Read some more below:

Beer Style: English Old Ale
Hop Variety: Bullion
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, special roast, black, chocolate, victory
OG: 1.074 ABV: 8.3% IBUs: 30
Color: Mahogany

Our winter strong ale has a gorgeous mahogany hue, a hint of hazelnuts, and a finish reminiscent of mocha and toffee. No spices, just a perfect blend of five specialty malts. Cellarable for 2 years.

Food Pairing: Old Jubilation Ale--most fittingly--is comfortable being sipped and quaffed alongside many large cuts of meat you typically find around the holidays. Roast duck, crown roast, rack of lamb, prime rib, herb and honey crusted chicken and all manner of gamebirds are great choices, as are seasonal soups made with spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » November 7th, 2011, 10:30 pm

devildeac wrote:Old Jubilation-Avery Brewing

Hands down one of the better winter ales I have ever had. Following the German Laws of Purity, they take the only 4 ingredients "allowed" in beer and turn them into a fabulous winter warmer. Deep brown with hints of ruby, this English style old ale has a small head, slight piney and herbal hop notes/bitterness and a melange of flavors from nuts to dark caramel, milk chocolate and medium roast coffee, all without the benefit of any additives. I'd guess the IBU to be in the 20-30 range and the ABV on the bottle is 8.2%. It is not bottle conditioned AFAIK, but they claim it is cellarable for up to 2 years. This would be worth a 6er to sip, share and cellar for a year or two and see if the flavors changed any. I got one of these as a trader from my drug rep buddy a couple weeks ago and I will search out another 6er soon for those exact reasons. I f you wished to pair with foods, I'd suggest beef roasts, ribs or a grilled NY strip, ribeye or filet.

Read some more below:

Our winter strong ale has a gorgeous mahogany hue, a hint of hazelnuts, and a finish reminiscent of mocha and toffee. No spices, just a perfect blend of five specialty malts. Cellarable for 2 years.

Food Pairing: Old Jubilation Ale--most fittingly--is comfortable being sipped and quaffed alongside many large cuts of meat you typically find around the holidays. Roast duck, crown roast, rack of lamb, prime rib, herb and honey crusted chicken and all manner of gamebirds are great choices, as are seasonal soups made with spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

Yummm. Although Great Divide Hibernation checks in as my #1 winter seasonal, this is my 1B. I try to buy a few six packs of each to stretch out throughout the year. I was down to my last bottle from last year but grabbed my first 6 pack of the 2011 version on saturday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2011, 7:46 am

bluebeer wrote:
devildeac wrote:Old Jubilation-Avery Brewing

Read some more below:

Yummm. Although Great Divide Hibernation checks in as my #1 winter seasonal, this is my 1B. I try to buy a few six packs of each to stretch out throughout the year. I was down to my last bottle from last year but grabbed my first 6 pack of the 2011 version on saturday.
Not sure I have ever had Hibernation but, on your highly-valued recommendation, it will be on the top of the list of purchases if/when I see it. Great Divide brews have been fairly readily available here in the last 1-2 hears so I will hope/look for it along with my annual purchase of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout for my fall and winter sipping in addition to "forgetting about" several bottles for a year or two :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Jackpot today with my trading session. I'll start reporting tonight with one of 5 new brews I received, plus 1 repeat but in a bottle instead of in a can. =p~
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 8th, 2011, 2:15 pm

devildeac wrote:Jackpot today with my trading session. I'll start reporting tonight with one of 5 new brews I received, plus 1 repeat but in a bottle instead of in a can. =p~
:-w
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 8th, 2011, 4:20 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Jackpot today with my trading session. I'll start reporting tonight with one of 5 new brews I received, plus 1 repeat but in a bottle instead of in a can. =p~
:-w
Patience, patience, patience.

Good things come to those who wait.