How did you choose your User name?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

How did you choose your User name?

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 25th, 2011, 8:32 pm

And how do you pronounce it and what does it mean? Some are obvious, but others are left to question.

Love, Ima :-?
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: How did you choose your User name?

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 25th, 2011, 8:50 pm

My user name is very obvious. I have been a Duke fan since '67, the same year we moved here and got out BB tickets. Bud is a grad of Duke PA School, we are both retired from Duke. Our youngest was born at DUMC and our oldest, DUKEPA, graduated from Duke PA School. So...I am truly, "Very Duke Blue".

:duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 25th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Well, my name is Cathy, and when I chose my user name OY, I was living in California. Therefore, I'm "Cathy from California" or for short, CathyCA.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 25th, 2011, 9:58 pm

I'm originally from Arkansas, and I lived in AR when I chose my user name OY - hence, Arkie. I attended Duke for grad school - hence, Dukie. Being a geek, I also thought that ArkieDukie sounded a bit like okey-dokey.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 25th, 2011, 10:09 pm

NO. EXPLANATION. NECESSARY! (Shouted for EMPHASIS! :9f: )
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 25th, 2011, 10:18 pm

la-va-BAY
In Malagasy, LAVA means tall. BE means REALLY!!
I've been called that since I started work in Madagascar in 1989.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 25th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Lawgrad91 graduated from the Duke University School of Law in 1991.

I always wondered what "Lavabe" meant, until now. :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2011, 11:11 pm

Duke undergrad, Wake Forest medical school.

Therefore, devildeac. (pronounced de-vil-deek; or GTHCGTH ;;) )

Unless, one of my alma maters plays no BB or FB defense, then I may be *evildeac or devil*eac or even *evil*eac.

And, when they play each other, I am devil>deac :D .

Bottom line, I root for Duke.

And, of course, whoever plays unc.

:9f:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 25th, 2011, 11:50 pm

Duke: Duh.

Usul: the name of the main character in my favorite novel. For pronunciation, see this scene from the not-all-that-good David Lynch movie adaptation of the book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfligs2SLBw
-- DukeUsul
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 25th, 2011, 11:53 pm

Mine is, of course, self explanatory. I was prompted to start this thread when meeting up with lavabe for the first time this weekend at brunch before the game. I'd always wondered about his handle. Nice to meetcha, tall guy!

It'll be fun to hear how more of you selected your names.
Love, Ima

PS Oh yeah, DukeUsul! That's another one that's always puzzled me. Thanks, oh strong one!
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » October 26th, 2011, 12:35 am

T' (originally E') 97. 'nuff said. :D
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » October 26th, 2011, 2:17 am

Went to a summer program where there was another program going on concurrently. One way to herd teenagers was to make us all wear name tag buttons all the time. Ours had blue lettering and theirs had red. So bluebutton. Thankfully, I went to Duke because William and Mary was my second choice and bluebutton wouldn't have worked as well there. Although sports-wise they don't have much to root for.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2011, 6:42 am

Parents both Duke undergrad/grad alums..both then went to work for the hospital. My dad has had season tickets all of my life, so I've been going to games in Cameron ever since I was very young. I guess I could have been WallaceWadeBornAndBred too, but that's a pain in the ass to type. :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » October 26th, 2011, 9:17 am

I cannot remember a time in my life when Duke was not part of it. The family story is that my first four words were Momma, Daddy, "potitbook" and Duke. My grandparents helped raise money in their church to donate to the "new" Duke University. I grew up hearing my dad tell stories about the building of the West Campus while he was an undergraduate. His class were freshman when the stadium was completed and was the first class to graduate in the completed Chapel. There's a long history of traveling to football and basketball games (football tickets were $4.50 and basketball tickets were $2.50) including a dramatic Duke - Carolina game in CH to end the regular season before going on to the Cotton Bowl.

When I was an undergraduate, I dated and hung around with football and basketball players and during the basketball season sat immediately behind the freshmen team who sat immediately behind the varsity. I was there in the middle of the room when Coach Bubas asked the cheerleaders to add choreography to their routine..... a cutting edge idea borrowed from the West Coast..... a defining moment was when "Love" Meeker created the routine to "Devil with the Blue Dress On".... thus my choice for user name. The limitation on number of characters forced me to make it "Devil in the Blue Dress." :happy-bouncyblue:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 26th, 2011, 11:22 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I cannot remember a time in my life when Duke was not part of it. The family story is that my first four words were Momma, Daddy, "potitbook" and Duke. My grandparents helped raise money in their church to donate to the "new" Duke University. I grew up hearing my dad tell stories about the building of the West Campus while he was an undergraduate. His class were freshman when the stadium was completed and was the first class to graduate in the completed Chapel. There's a long history of traveling to football and basketball games (football tickets were $4.50 and basketball tickets were $2.50) including a dramatic Duke - Carolina game in CH to end the regular season before going on to the Cotton Bowl.

When I was an undergraduate, I dated and hung around with football and basketball players and during the basketball season sat immediately behind the freshmen team who sat immediately behind the varsity. I was there in the middle of the room when Coach Bubas asked the cheerleaders to add choreography to their routine..... a cutting edge idea borrowed from the West Coast..... a defining moment was when "Love" Meeker created the routine to "Devil with the Blue Dress On".... thus my choice for user name. The limitation on number of characters forced me to make it "Devil in the Blue Dress." :happy-bouncyblue:
What a cool story! I'd love to hear more!

I hope that one day current parent, Bruce Springsteen, will perform his version of "Devil With The Blue Dress On" in Cameron.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » October 26th, 2011, 11:51 am

IowaDevil was easy....I am the obssesive Duke fan in Iowa and was thrilled to be welcomed in CrazieTalk! Just wish I was closer to enjoy more of the fun in person!

GTHc, GTH :9f: :9f:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 26th, 2011, 12:04 pm

You would think Bostondevil is self-explanatory, but it's not. I'm not from Boston - I'm from Durham. I don't live in Boston - I live in nearby Newton. I am, however, in Boston right now because I work in Boston. But, the reason for my name is because my two favorite teams are the Duke Blue Devils and the Boston Red Sox. I suppose I could have been RedSoxBlueDevil. Or DevilSox. Or DukeSox, eh, no. When I signed up, for whatever reason, I thought Bostondevil was the nicest sounding combo of my two favorite teams.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » October 26th, 2011, 1:19 pm

IowaDevil wrote:IowaDevil was easy....I am the obssesive Duke fan in Iowa and was thrilled to be welcomed in CrazieTalk! Just wish I was closer to enjoy more of the fun in person!

GTHc, GTH :9f: :9f:
I love your license plate, "IADEVIL". I should have made mine "IMADEVIL". (Bet somebody already has that around here, tho.)
Love, Ima

PS Well, just git yerself out here to see us. We'll make you so welcome you'll wonder what took ya so long!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 26th, 2011, 1:58 pm

My dorm, while at Duke, was Windsor (and yes, it was a female dorm at that time :D )
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 26th, 2011, 2:10 pm

windsor wrote:My dorm, while at Duke, was Windsor (and yes, it was a female dorm at that time :D )
I think Windsor was one of the "new" dorms down in Edens Quad when I was at Duke, back in the early/mid 70's. Windsor, Lancaster, York and ... ? I was in Lancaster my freshman year, before moving up to House O - Phi Kappa Psi for the next 3 years.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com