Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » June 22nd, 2009, 11:19 pm

Morehead City Honey Pale Ale*-at least that's what I think the letters on the cap and taste inside the bottle represent. This is 60 days after receipt at Spring Brunchgate so I'd guess 90 days after bottling. Not much different than my initial thoughts, I guess. A bit more orange and darker than a typical PA with hints of caramel and a floral note to the hops. The taste is smoothed by the honey but no additional sweetness. Modest IBU-I'd guess 40 to 50 range with an ABV of 5-6% so a good beer with mild grilled fare or in a tasting session.

*for those who haven't figgered it out yet, this is CB&B's private stock/label :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » June 24th, 2009, 6:38 pm

I went to a beer tasting at my favorite beer store last night. A four beer pour for $1.00. I tried Ithica Apricot Wheat (bought a sixer), Bell's Porter(bought a sixer) Bell's Oberon, and one hoppy beer by Ithica whose name escapes me. My wife made chicken fajitas tonight and I drank an apricot brew with the meal--very faint apricot taste with this fine wheat brew, a nice golden/cloudy look and a very nice "nose". Not normally a fruit beer person (porters are the choice), but this was good for the 90 degree day. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2009, 12:51 pm

Page 2-The horror!

Ommegang-Rare Vos-A classic Belgian amber as they put on their label. I'm not quite sure what that is but it is distinctive. Haven't had one of these in a while but the memories are fond. I sipped this as a pre-dinner drink this week with some spiced Asian beef on cracked wheat crackers and tiny salmon puff pastries. (That almost came out sleeve of crackers and pasties. I spend WAAYY too much time reading some of the threads and polls here :roll: :oops: :lol: ). Nice amber pour and tastes of toasted bread and raisins and figs on the palate. A blend of malts, I'm sure, but the chocolate and caramel ones are the favorites. Subtle hop presence and a balanced combo. I'd guess the IBU about 30-40 and the ABV is listed as 6.5%. A good choice before dinner. This is really a fine brewery owned by the Duvel folks. I can't think of an ale I've had over the last 10 years or so that I haven't found to be excellent. Dinner beer and menu to follow. :D
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » June 27th, 2009, 2:21 pm

DFH Festine Peche--This is labeled as a Berliner Weiss-style ale, which is not a wheat beer I'm familiar with, so I looked it up. The style is (shock) native to Berlin and was historically a summer drink for refreshment, as opposed to getting drunk. The ABV is generally under 3%. It's also apparently pretty vestigial and tough to come by even in Berlin.

On to the beer. DFH adds peach juice to the fermentation process which gives it a very subtle, but non-mistakable peach flavor. It is not at all over-powering or cloyingly sweet. The nose has a heavy amount of wet grass and a bit of sourness. The flavor is tart and sour (apparently a staple of the style) with just enough sweetness to make it very drinkable. At 4.8%, this beer is sessionable and would be ideal for summer patio drinking. I will say it reminded more of a shandy than a wheat beer, but that's a good thing sometimes.

Anyone ever had the Bourbon County Stout by Goose Island? For $5, I figured I should pick up a bottle. Will report once I try it.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2009, 2:56 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:DFH Festine Peche--This is labeled as a Berliner Weiss-style ale, which is not a wheat beer I'm familiar with, so I looked it up. The style is (shock) native to Berlin and was historically a summer drink for refreshment, as opposed to getting drunk. The ABV is generally under 3%. It's also apparently pretty vestigial and tough to come by even in Berlin.

On to the beer. DFH adds peach juice to the fermentation process which gives it a very subtle, but non-mistakable peach flavor. It is not at all over-powering or cloyingly sweet. The nose has a heavy amount of wet grass and a bit of sourness. The flavor is tart and sour (apparently a staple of the style) with just enough sweetness to make it very drinkable. At 4.8%, this beer is sessionable and would be ideal for summer patio drinking. I will say it reminded more of a shandy than a wheat beer, but that's a good thing sometimes.

Anyone ever had the Bourbon County Stout by Goose Island? For $5, I figured I should pick up a bottle. Will report once I try it.
I haven't had the Festina for a couple years, I guess, but that is just about as I remember it. A very pleasant summer afternoon/early evening ale. I think it would be great with a large fruit salad pre-dinner course.

I have been after the Lavabe gang to bring me some of the specialty Goose Island reserve brews but to no avail. :( Was the $5 for a 12 ouncer or a bomber? Not sure I'd enjoy that in the NC summer time. However, if I bought one, I'd probably save it for a fall Brunchgate. Make that LATE fall Brunchgate. :D
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 28th, 2009, 7:37 am

Beer....yeeech.

Okay, okay, I do occasionally imbibe.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2009, 9:48 am

Chimay Grande Reserve (also known as Blue)-Dinner beer with a plate of weeds, pine nuts, goat cheese, candied pee-cans and a raspberry balsalmic dressing. Main course was seared grouper, smashed sweet potatoes and succotash. Yummy. The medium brown, slightly sweet Belgian ale paired nicely with its tastes of raisins, figs and brown sugar and very mild hoppiness. Dessert was shortcake with fresh NC strawberries, whipped cream and mint chocolate chip ice cream and a chocolate drizzle. There was no Chimay left by the time dessert arrived. BTW, the Chimay is 9% ABV and the consumption of said food and fine ales occurred over about 2 hours Thursday evening. Educational meeting. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2009, 9:50 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Beer....yeeech.

Come to a Brunchgate with us and we'll have you imbibe a fine ale or three and provide some quite tasty atypical pre-game fare, too. :D
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 28th, 2009, 11:05 am

devildeac wrote:

Come to a Brunchgate with us and we'll have you imbibe a fine ale or three and provide some quite tasty atypical pre-game fare, too. :D

I will probably be there for Homecoming...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2009, 4:31 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I will probably be there for Homecoming...
We will have fine food and beverages waiting for you... :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2009, 9:20 pm

I am not in the mood, nor am I in any shape for any brews OR reviews tonight. See my adventure thread... :(( :roll:
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm

devildeac wrote:I am not in the mood, nor am I in any shape for any brews OR reviews tonight. See my adventure thread... :(( :roll:
I'm going to hold off posting reviews of my weekend tastings...Might I suggest a Surly Darkness or Mikkeller Black Hole tomorrow night when it's over..in all seriousness, hope all goes well tomorrow...
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » June 28th, 2009, 10:29 pm

My wife and I are driving to Fort Collins starting this Tuesday. One of the reasons we are driving this time is so as to have space on the return trip for--you guessed it--beer. My lovely wife has suggested that we visit the New Belgium Brewery AGAIN--what a woman. the brewery is about 5 minutes from my daughter's home. We will be in F.C. for about a week. Besides spoiling the grand kids, I expect to fish a little and perhaps drive to Boulder to visit a couple more breweries.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2009, 10:57 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:I am not in the mood, nor am I in any shape for any brews OR reviews tonight. See my adventure thread... :(( :roll:
I'm going to hold off posting reviews of my weekend tastings...Might I suggest a Surly Darkness or Mikkeller Black Hole tomorrow night when it's over..in all seriousness, hope all goes well tomorrow...
I have never seen either of those brews-anywhere. Hell, I'm just finishing last month's assortment and plan on purchasing some Founder's ales soon and you gotta go tempt me with even newer ones. AARRGGHH!

Seriously, thanks for both the well wishes and the brew ideas. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2009, 10:59 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:My wife and I are driving to Fort Collins starting this Tuesday. One of the reasons we are driving this time is so as to have space on the return trip for--you guessed it--beer. My lovely wife has suggested that we visit the New Belgium Brewery AGAIN--what a woman. the brewery is about 5 minutes from my daughter's home. We will be in F.C. for about a week. Besides spoiling the grand kids, I expect to fish a little and perhaps drive to Boulder to visit a couple more breweries.
You oughtta contact rmd while you are out there. I'd bet he would have some great ideas.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 1st, 2009, 9:17 pm

No beer drinking recently? This needs a bump nonetheless!

Other than a Skinny Dip last night at happy hour, I've been slacking.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2009, 9:24 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:No beer drinking recently? This needs a bump nonetheless!

I thought about buying a 6er of that today but chose Dirty Bastard and Centennial IPA instead. Reports to follow. :D
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 1st, 2009, 9:27 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:No beer drinking recently? This needs a bump nonetheless!

I thought about buying a 6er of that today but chose Dirty Bastard and Centennial IPA instead. Reports to follow. :D
You made the right call.

Skinny Dip is something you buy and stick in the fridge for hot days when you're out of really good beer and don't want to go to the store but want a decent drink while grilling.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2009, 9:27 pm

Found some leftover CB&B's Belgian Red and Belgian White from months ago. They may even be from the fall. They kept well with no stale foam, tastes or smells. I'd guess they are 6-8 months old. Good job with the whole process there, big guy. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2009, 9:30 pm

ATTN: rmd

Saw Little Yella Pils today also. Recommended or not?