Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2011, 10:46 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:Wheach (c. 2009)-O'Fallon Brewing (St. Louis)

This was a 2 year old bottle from AD's storage facility via Lavabe. (Hint: This beer is not bottle-conditioned and shoulda been consumed in the year brewed ;;) ) However, despite its advanced age, it was still palatable and the only real complaint I had was the head went rather flat, rather quickly. But, another bottle was saved from the 6er Lavabe brought a couple weekends ago and that bottle was better with a longer retained fizzy head. The pour is a cloudy yellow and the aroma is a bit grassy with a hint of citrus (pretty typical for the style) and the obvious peach. Not over-powering but definitely ripe to over-ripe peaches. Little bitterness, guessing an IBU of 20. ABV is also low, guessing about 5% here, again, pretty typical for the style. Fresh peaches are the dominant flavor but not overwhelming but not subtle either. This is your appetizer brew or even a dessert beer if served with assorted fruits and/or lighter cheeses after a meal.

I have some fresh stuff (2011 ;;) :D ) delivered by AD to Brunchgate on Saturday that managed to survive the day and I will have a bottle tonight or tomorrow and let y'all know how this year's batch compares.
Wheach 2011-O' Fallon Brewing (Wisconsin-I'll bet contract brewed)

This sample was a bit fresher ( :)) ), had a bit less peachiness and the fizziness was retained a bit longer.
Yes, the 2011 Wheach I bought at the Kroger was nicer than the 2009's, but not nearly as good as the draft I had at Blueberry Hill. :-BD :drool:
Can't think of any bottled brews I've ever had that have matched the draft version.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2011, 10:53 pm

Old Town Brown Ale-Natty Greene's Brewing Company

The other brews I have had from this brewery in Greensboro have been average so I was not expecting anything this good from these folks but this brown ale was very good. Nice dark brown pour with a 2 fingered head and a slight herbal hop bite. This is all about the malts which give this nutty ale a bit of creaminess and lots of dark caramel and chocolate notes. IBU are probably 30 and the ABV about 5%. Fine beer with which to view a nail-biting Duke FB come-from-behind W or with any BBQ dishes or chili. Worth a 6er to drink, share, trade and even throw 6-12 ounces in a big pot of beef stew or Miles' chili.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2011, 11:04 pm

Laughing Skull-Red Brick Brewing

Great name. Crappy beer, unless I got an old bottle. For an amber ale, it was a bit thin with a small head and smelled/tasted spoiled. I have had worse brews that have tasted like liquid cardboard and this was not that bad but was barely drinkable. There was a very mild floral hop aroma and taste and some light malt sweetness but there are many other amber ales on the market I'd order before this one again. It was a trader and thankfully I only had one. Was never impressed with the few Red Brick products I have sipped in the past and this one will not get me on the Red Brick band wagon or anywhere near Peachtree Street/Avenue/Boulevard to find another either. Not quite a Ycch, Beer, but close.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 3rd, 2011, 5:04 pm

devildeac wrote:Old Town Brown Ale-Natty Greene's Brewing Company

The other brews I have had from this brewery in Greensboro have been average so I was not expecting anything this good from these folks but this brown ale was very good. Nice dark brown pour with a 2 fingered head and a slight herbal hop bite. This is all about the malts which give this nutty ale a bit of creaminess and lots of dark caramel and chocolate notes. IBU are probably 30 and the ABV about 5%. Fine beer with which to view a nail-biting Duke FB come-from-behind W or with any BBQ dishes or chili. Worth a 6er to drink, share, trade and even throw 6-12 ounces in a big pot of beef stew or Miles' chili.
I've got a couple of potential customers that I'm working with that are down the street from Natty Greene's brewery/restaurant on Elm St. in GSO. I'll have to stop in and sample this next time I'm there!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 4th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Chocolate Stout-Ft. Collins Brewing

Caution: this brew does not contain chocolate. But, the black and chocolate malts make up for the lack of coffee or chocolate quite nicely with darkly roasted tastes and aromas of the same with mild bitterness. IBU about 32 according to the scales on which they post their IBU and ABV which looks like it's 4.9%. This is almost light enough body to be a porter but is still a clean/clear dark brown with a modest head. Very nice with ribs, stews, chili or by itself for dessert, but I wouldn't hesitate a bit to sip one of these with some chocolate chip cookies, brownies or chocolate pound cake. I swear CB&B brought a FCB sampler to Brunchgate but I'll also swear dpslaw gave me this bottle. :-o
dpslaw
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by dpslaw » October 4th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Yeah, oddly enough, I just happened to bring a sixer of this last week.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » October 4th, 2011, 10:06 pm

devildeac wrote:Chocolate Stout-Ft. Collins Brewing

Caution: this brew does not contain chocolate. But, the black and chocolate malts make up for the lack of coffee or chocolate quite nicely with darkly roasted tastes and aromas of the same with mild bitterness. IBU about 32 according to the scales on which they post their IBU and ABV which looks like it's 4.9%. This is almost light enough body to be a porter but is still a clean/clear dark brown with a modest head. Very nice with ribs, stews, chili or by itself for dessert, but I wouldn't hesitate a bit to sip one of these with some chocolate chip cookies, brownies or chocolate pound cake. I swear CB&B brought a FCB sampler to Brunchgate but I'll also swear dpslaw gave me this bottle. :-o
One of the two times I have had a beer float, this was the brew--last New Year's Eve in Fort Collins. Honestly, I think it was good but do not remember much about it except for the "let it melt" advice.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 4th, 2011, 10:21 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Chocolate Stout-Ft. Collins Brewing

One of the two times I have had a beer float, this was the brew--last New Year's Eve in Fort Collins. Honestly, I think it was good but do not remember much about it except for the "let it melt" advice.
I have had 2 beer floats.

1. http://www.fortcollinsbrewery.com/dblchocstout.html

2. http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/beer/

I think I'll have two this winter also. Thank you for reminding me. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2011, 10:19 pm

captmojo wrote:The 2010 edition of Samuel Adams Octoberfest is now on the store shelves, my fridge, my gastro-intestinal tract.
Crisp, dry, refreshing, malty, 5.8% ABV. MMmmmm
Octoberfest 2011 Edition-Sam Adams

What captmojo said last year! I'll add a bit, clarifying that it is a lager that pours a clear amber with low bitterness (I'd guess about 20) with an ABV in the 5-6% range. Tastes like a toasted croissant or nicely browned biscuit. I got this as a trader from Ozzie and was happy to receive it, not having had one in several years. Should be a nice beverage with which to enjoy burgers and other grilled fare during the fall season.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2011, 8:02 am

Oktoberfest-Spaten

Do not buy beer in green bottles. Beer is meant to be sold in brown bottles, or in cans as a number of brewers are marketing now. The green glass does not protect your high-priced, hand-crafted ale from light as the brown bottles do. Light (and heat) are the mortal enemies of beer. Nearly every brew I have had from a green bottle tastes like Heineken-skunky and spoiled. That includes Yuengling, St. Pauli, Lowenbarf, Rolling Rock and yes, even one of the best pilsners in the world, Pilsner Urquell, which is an absolutely wonderful beer to enjoy on draft.

Sorry Oz and capt, I appreciate the trader but this beer was barely drinkable. I'd be happy to quaff one on draft with you anytime/anywhere, but stay away from beers in green bottles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 13th, 2011, 10:12 am

devildeac wrote:Oktoberfest-Spaten

Do not buy beer in green bottles. Beer is meant to be sold in brown bottles, or in cans as a number of brewers are marketing now. The green glass does not protect your high-priced, hand-crafted ale from light as the brown bottles do. Light (and heat) are the mortal enemies of beer. Nearly every brew I have had from a green bottle tastes like Heineken-skunky and spoiled. That includes Yuengling, St. Pauli, Lowenbarf, Rolling Rock and yes, even one of the best pilsners in the world, Pilsner Urquell, which is an absolutely wonderful beer to enjoy on draft.

Sorry Oz and capt, I appreciate the trader but this beer was barely drinkable. I'd be happy to quaff one on draft with you anytime/anywhere, but stay away from beers in green bottles.
Damn, I've got another entire unopened case (24) of these. Maybe I'll take them back to Costco... :D

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 13th, 2011, 10:28 am

On a related note, one of my fraternity brothers who was with us at homecoming, Steve Krohn, is in the wine business. We went to dinner on Saturday night at Pop's, a moderately trendy/upscale restaurant in the tobacco district in downtown Durham (that I'd never heard of but can recommend. It's about two blocks past Satty's.) They accommodated our group of ~40 very easily. Our table ordered a couple of bottles of wine, as did the other tables. Steve was, of course, our chosen taster. One of the wines, a $50 bottle, was bad - he said it was "corked", a rather common but unfortunate occurrence that sometimes happens during bottling and usually the entire bottling run of wine is ruined. One of the other tables also ordered the same wine. Steve called over the waitress and told her, and either she or the manager knew enough about wines to understand what he was talking about. They of course took back both bottles and something else ordered - in all likelihood, their entire stock (case) of this wine was bad and they will be able to return it to their wholesaler for credit. The other table knew they didn't particularly like the wine, but they didn't know something was "wrong" with it. It pays to have an expert in your midst!

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 13th, 2011, 1:15 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

On a related note, one of my fraternity brothers who was with us at homecoming, Steve Krohn, is in the wine business. We went to dinner on Saturday night at Pop's, a moderately trendy/upscale restaurant in the tobacco district in downtown Durham (that I'd never heard of but can recommend. It's about two blocks past Satty's.) They accommodated our group of ~40 very easily. Our table ordered a couple of bottles of wine, as did the other tables. Steve was, of course, our chosen taster. One of the wines, a $50 bottle, was bad - he said it was "corked", a rather common but unfortunate occurrence that sometimes happens during bottling and usually the entire bottling run of wine is ruined. One of the other tables also ordered the same wine. Steve called over the waitress and told her, and either she or the manager knew enough about wines to understand what he was talking about. They of course took back both bottles and something else ordered - in all likelihood, their entire stock (case) of this wine was bad and they will be able to return it to their wholesaler for credit. The other table knew they didn't particularly like the wine, but they didn't know something was "wrong" with it. It pays to have an expert in your midst!
It's not too difficult to taste when a bottle of wine has been "corked" if you are a wine drinker, especially if you know something about the grapes and the region that they were grown in. I really do enjoy wine tasting. It's a shame that I've given up drinking.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 14th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Tripel 7-Scuttlebutt Brewing (Everett, Washington)

Bargain bomber alert! $4/22 ounces and 9% ABV. I did divide this over 2 nights. I prefer the Golden Monkey and, of course, Duvel over this but it's pleasant/nice for the style. The pour is light golden and the hops are a very light floral. The typical flavors are hints of orange peel and coriander and there are traces of banana and clove with very subtle pepper overtones. Dangerously drinkable brew at 11 IBU the high ABV. Serve with fruit or light grilled entrees in a Duke 2011 Hall of Fame goblet :D . I actually bought this one myself and might have an extra to bring to a tailgate soon.

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 15th, 2011, 12:15 am

Trippel Ale Brewed with Coriander. A trader from DD. He said he thought I'd like it but he was wrong - it was too bitter for my taste. It's in a brown bottle. I had this in the late afternoon with some colby and Jack cheese as a snack before dinner. The cheese was good :D

With dinner about 3 hours later I had a sister bottle of the Spaten Octoberfest (in a green bottle) that DD complained about above. It was indeed a bit skunky, but not nearly as bitter, or skunky, as the Trippel. The Spaten was much better 3 to 4 weeks ago, much smoother. Would it really have gone bad that quickly?

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2011, 7:29 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Trippel Ale Brewed with Coriander. A trader from DD. He said he thought I'd like it but he was wrong - it was too bitter for my taste. It's in a brown bottle. I had this in the late afternoon with some colby and Jack cheese as a snack before dinner. The cheese was good :D

With dinner about 3 hours later I had a sister bottle of the Spaten Octoberfest (in a green bottle) that DD complained about above. It was indeed a bit skunky, but not nearly as bitter, or skunky, as the Trippel. The Spaten was much better 3 to 4 weeks ago, much smoother. Would it really have gone bad that quickly?
This ale is not bitter.

From the New Belgium web site:

Our Trippel Belgian Style Ale (pronounced triple) opens with a bold blast of hops that slowly gives way to the fruity esters implied by our Belgian yeast strain. In the Belgian tradition of brewing singles, doubles and triples, Trippel is the strongest with the longest fermentation. Remarkably smooth and complex, our bottle-conditioned Trippel is spiced with a trace of coriander.
Just the facts Ma'am...
ABV - 7.8%
IBU - 25 (*) [asterisk is mine but actually turns out to be a shining and winking star :)) ]
Calories - 215
Hops - Saaz, Liberty, Target
Malts - Pale, Munich, Victory
OG - 17.6
TG - 2.4
Fruits/Spice - Coriander

The IBU measures bitterness and this is rather low and in the range of many lagers and wheat ales, below most ambers, brown and pale ales and far below any IPA, IIPA, imperial stout or barleywine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2011, 7:45 am

Maharaja (draft)-Avery Brewing

Now this ale Ozzie tasted last PM is bitter. I found this on tap last PM at Tyler's Taproom in Derm prior to CTC and it was $5 for the pint. That's a really good price for a 10.2% ABV IIPA with an IBU of a massive 102. There was a small head on the pour with an intense grapefruity aroma and the Tropicana taste to match. The use of large quantities of caramel, 2 row and victory malts readily balance the bitterness with a bready sweetness. Color was amber-orange and this hop monster paired nicely with the surprisingly mild honey-jalapeno wings Oz and Talklady shared as an apppetizer and my dinner reuben sandwich. This is not for those with faint palates and is modestly superior to the several annual offerings I have enjoyed of this fine ale from the bombers which are an annual member of the Avery Dictator Series.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 15th, 2011, 7:46 am

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Trippel Ale Brewed with Coriander. A trader from DD. He said he thought I'd like it but he was wrong - it was too bitter for my taste. It's in a brown bottle. I had this in the late afternoon with some colby and Jack cheese as a snack before dinner. The cheese was good :D

This ale is not bitter.

From the New Belgium web site:

Our Trippel Belgian Style Ale (pronounced triple) opens with a bold blast of hops that slowly gives way to the fruity esters implied by our Belgian yeast strain. In the Belgian tradition of brewing singles, doubles and triples, Trippel is the strongest with the longest fermentation. Remarkably smooth and complex, our bottle-conditioned Trippel is spiced with a trace of coriander.
Just the facts Ma'am...
ABV - 7.8%
IBU - 25 (*) [asterisk is mine but actually turns out to be a shining and winking star :)) ]
Calories - 215
Hops - Saaz, Liberty, Target
Malts - Pale, Munich, Victory
OG - 17.6
TG - 2.4
Fruits/Spice - Coriander

The IBU measures bitterness and this is rather low and in the range of many lagers and wheat ales, below most ambers, brown and pale ales and far below any IPA, IIPA, imperial stout or barleywine.
OK, it wasn't bitter. It was triple skunky! :D

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » October 15th, 2011, 8:19 am

I bought my Spatens early. I am aware of the 'green bottle don't do' thing. Price, timing and completely enclosed packaging, made me do it. And, at the time, I'm glad I did. They were good, but I'm out of their market for this product now.

Anybody had a Beck's for this season? They've been pretty good in the past.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 15th, 2011, 10:32 am

Pumpkin Ale-Schlafly Brewing

One of the better seasonals on the market, especially those of the fruit or vegetable variety. Why? You can actually smell and taste the pumpkin, along with the obligatory pie spices including cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. The spices are not overpowering, either. The base is an amber ale and it is a clear pour with a small head. ABV is 8%, a bit stiffer than the usual pumpkin ales, though Weyerbacher and Clipper City both make imperial pumpkin ales around 9%, IIRC, Little hop presence, guessing IBU about 25. This would be fine with your holiday meal or with seasonal desserts including ginger or oatmeal raisin cookies, and, of course, a slice of your favorite homemade pumpkin pie. Not sure I'd have it with a Ted Drewe's pumpkin pie concrete but maybe AD can sample both and report back to us about that combination ;;) :D . This was a delivery from AD recently and there may be 1-2 left in the cooler for today's game.

Respectfully submitted as post #3000 (I think) on this thread :D .