Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Lavabe » September 5th, 2011, 2:35 pm

EARTH SHATTERING NEWS!!!

I just got Wheach in my local Kroger!! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 5th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Lavabe wrote:EARTH SHATTERING NEWS!!!

I just got Wheach in my local Kroger!! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 5th, 2011, 5:32 pm

By the way, my brother LOVED the two-yr-old Wheach. Got to say... I agree with him. :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 6th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Bonfire Rauchbier-Sam Adams

This was a trader in their fall sampler and I am impressed with this different style. It pours a clear amber color and the aroma is smoked wood and the taste matches, but not unpleasantly so. This would be superb with any smoked meats or salmon or with burgers and brats with brown mustard and sauerkraut. The classic for this style is a German product called Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier and would be worth a comparison for those who may have never tasted this type of brew. IBU are low at 22 and the ABV is modest at 5.7%.

Notes from the brewer:

Appearance: Dark amber
Aroma: Smokey with subtle malty sweetness, delicate earthy hop note.
Flavor: Rich malt flavors of toffee and caramel, balanced with a smokiness that is ever present but not over powering.
Mouthfeel: Rich, full bodied, and robust

Original Gravity: 15.57
Alcohol by Vol/Wt: 5.7%ABV – 4.5% ABW
Calories/12 oz.: 213
IBUs: 22
SRM: 25
Malt Varieties: Two-row Harrington, Special B, Caramel 60, and Weyermann Smoked Malt
Hop Variety: Spalt Spalter Noble Hops
Special Ingredients: none
Yeast Strain: Samuel Adams lager yeast
Availability: Seasonal (late August – early November)
First Brewed: 2011

If you wish to read about the German offering:

http://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 7th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Oatmeal Porter-Highlands Brewing

This trader proved to be another winner from this brewery in Asheville Dark brown and opaque with prominent notes of mocha, this classic porter is made even smoother and silkier by the use of oatmeal in its grain base. Hop presence is fairly minimal as deeply roasted malts dominate this brew. I'll estimate an IBU of 30-40 and an ABV of 6% or less. You could enjoy this with a plate of smoky, saucy BBQ ribs or brisket or have it as an after dinner drink or dessert.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 9th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Saison de Lente-The Bruery

This is my 1st sampling of anything by this brewery but I believe bluebeer has had 1 or two. Bluebeer, where are you? This is a bit lighter than a traditional saison but not much. The head is generous and lacy, the nose is light and floral and the taste is a surprising funky, peppery and musty from the wild Brett yeast. It is a cloudy yellow brew and was a fine summer ale, especially as a Manager's Special from Total Wine a couple weeks ago at 30% off the ~$10 listed price because it was a spring brewing. This would pair nicely with shellfish entrees or light appetizers.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 10th, 2011, 10:00 am

Oatmeal Stout-Wolaver's Brewing

All organic ales emanate from this Vermont brewery. Pretty standard fare here with a dark, dark brown creamy/foamy pour and aromas of expresso and dark chocolate. Heavily roasted malts and enough bitterness for a pleasant balance. It is a bit thin for an oatmeal stout but a very smooth tasting brew with the addition of oats to the barley. I'd guess the IBU to be 40-50 and the ABV to be 5-6%. It would be fine with beef BBQ/ribs or with chocolate desserts. This was a bottle given to me by CLD and dukediv2011/12/13 for Christmas last year and dated 10/10 so it cellared well.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » September 10th, 2011, 9:06 pm

devildeac wrote:Saison de Lente-The Bruery

This is my 1st sampling of anything by this brewery but I believe bluebeer has had 1 or two. Bluebeer, where are you? This is a bit lighter than a traditional saison but not much. The head is generous and lacy, the nose is light and floral and the taste is a surprising funky, peppery and musty from the wild Brett yeast. It is a cloudy yellow brew and was a fine summer ale, especially as a Manager's Special from Total Wine a couple weeks ago at 30% off the ~$10 listed price because it was a spring brewing. This would pair nicely with shellfish entrees or light appetizers.
I've tried a few by the Bruery but not this one. Sounds like its worth picking up though I doubt I can find the deal that you found. Their Autumn Maple is pretty good and a different take on the pumpkin ale--made instead with yams. Not a huge fan of this style but its worth trying if you see it for a decent price (some of their stuff is ridiculously over priced). I also highly recommend their holiday beers. They are doing the 12 days of christmas with a new release each year.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » September 10th, 2011, 9:18 pm

Stone 15th Anniversary Beer-Escondidian Imperial Black IPA...This is a bit of a trendy style lately but this is one of the better beers I've tried in a while. Pours a stout-like black with a medium head. Lots of roasted malts up front with a good bit of dark chocolate and coffee. Big piney hop bite but a nice balanced smooth finish. Tough to describe this beer beyond simply being tasty. It has a real imperial stout like quality with the color, chocolate notes, and roasted malts but the hops rival any double IPA. It's also thinner and dangerously drinkable compared to a stout. Still pretty potent though at 10% ABV. Buy one if you see it..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Belgo-New Belgium Brewing

Pineapple juice. Dole pineapple juice. Hey, if Ozzie can describe Magic Hat as papaya juice then I certainly can think fresh-to-overripe Dole pineapples to describe this brew in their Lips of Faith Series. Interestingly, I think this was 1st released as a bomber in the series as all their other LoF have been so this 6er was a surprise to see on the shelves and then read about it. There are plenty of hops (5) in the brew with some dry hopping which yields an IBU of 70. There are some fresh floral notes, too. Generous amounts of malts balances the bitterness well and hits the ABV at 8%. The style is a Belgian IPA and the Belgian yeast gives a hint of black pepper and spice to the palate. This probably raced to near the top of my favorite IPAs due to its unique aromas and tastes and I'd sip one of these again with grilled halibut/tuna with a spicy and fruity salsa. I have several left from the 6er so CB&B, my son and my drug rep buddy will see one of these in their future traders and I will save 1 or 2 for myself.

Some brewer's notes:

Belgo IPA is a Belgian twist on India Pale Ale made with five varieties of hops. Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo hops are pitched in the kettle. Cascade, Amarillo, and Willamette hops are added during dry-hopping. Medium-bodied, Belgo opens with citrus and floral tones from generous hopping, then gives way to soft fruit tones implied by the authentic Trappist yeast strain and finishes clean.
Just the facts Ma'am...
ABV - 8.0%
IBU - 70
Calories - 232
Hops - Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo
Malts - Pale, C120, Honey malt
OG - 18.5
TG - 3

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 13th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Humming Ale-Anchor Brewing

This was the 1st of 3 tastings I shared at Brunchgate with my future SIL. The beers were courtesy of dpslaw with whom I traded a Collette for his kindness. I think I owe him another couple brews over the remainder of FB season. This is an American style pale ale with a slightly citrus hop profile mild bitterness (guessing the IBU around 50) and biscuit-like malt presence. ABV a very sessionable 5.9%, especially when sipped with a tons of goodies in the tent. This paired nicely with ribs, hot dogs and various salads that folks brought.

Not much from the brewer here:

HUMMING is an ancient term, used centuries ago to describe both ales and beers. Although its origins are shrouded in mystery, it suits this bold hoppy ale, which we have created to celebrate the anniversary of our first brew at 1705 Mariposa Street. From that very day we were humming!

In 1965, we dedicated ourselves to reviving the nearly bankrupt, almost medieval little San Francisco brewery on 8th Street. By 1977, Anchor's small staff was making five unique beers in its tiny state-of-the-art facility. We purchased an old coffee-roasting plant on Mariposa, overseeing its gradual transformation into our "new" brewery. Finally, on August 13, 1979, our move was complete, we fired up the brewkettle, and Anchor Steam® had a new home—its sixth since 1896.

dpslaw

Post by dpslaw » September 14th, 2011, 9:20 am

DD, the Humming Ale is now Anchor's Fall seasonal, completing their seasonal lineup. By the way, I stupidly put the Collette in my cooler with everything else, and it was consumed by someone else! Do you have another?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2011, 10:37 am

dpslaw wrote:DD, the Humming Ale is now Anchor's Fall seasonal, completing their seasonal lineup. By the way, I stupidly put the Collette in my cooler with everything else, and it was consumed by someone else! Do you have another?
I Ithought that was their fall brew with the bock being their spring release and the summer beer being their, uhh, summer release. I do have another Colette that I will bring 9/24. Surprised somebody went in your cooler and took an oddly named beer. I never go in someone else's cooler unless I ask and TIm makes that clear to folks each week. No big deal. Chris also got a Collette.
dpslaw

Post by dpslaw » September 14th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Whoever took it probably asked, but I failed to tell them not to take the Collette.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Summer Beer-Anchor Brewing

A light, refreshing wheat beer with a fizzy/foamy head, slight citrus taste and aroma which pours a slightly cloudy yellow. Low IBU (guessing 20-30) and modest ABV (guessing 5%) make for a pleasant brew on a hot afternoon or evening that would match fruity appetizers and lighter grilled fare for a main course. Another trader from dpslaw from the Richmond Brunchgate which I missed but had the brews saved by Ozzie, so thanks to both parties for my ability to partake of a new brew.

From the brewer:

Anchor Summer is the first American wheat beer in modern times. Our first brew of this light and refreshing beer was in the summer of 1984.

Anchor Summer is an all-malt beer, and over 50% of its malt comes from malted wheat. It is fermented with a traditional top-fermenting "ale" yeast because we prefer the clean flavors developed by this yeast. We believe that this style best celebrates the refreshingly light flavor of malted wheat. You may notice that the head on this beer is unusually abundant, with a consistency similar to whipped egg whites. This is due to protein contributed by the wheat.

The brewers at Anchor are proud to have revived not only rich hearty dark beers, but also this light crisp style of a modern American wheat beer.

Wheatmalt contributes to an unusual lightness and dryness to the palate, and this—combined with the distinctive flavor of the wheat—makes for a perfect thirst-quenching beverage. It is the ideal drink for beer lovers who appreciate tradition and character in their beer, but also seek a lighter, refreshing style, perfect for warm weather.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 14th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Note to Arkie:
http://www.schlafly.com/beers/styles/ra ... fee-stout/
Available ONLY at Schnucks!!
=p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Bock-Anchor Steam Brewing

This is the last of the dpslaw traders I missed from the Richmond game that Ozzie was kind enough to store until the Stanford game. I split the 3 Anchor brews with my future SIL. This style remains among my favorites, even though it is a lager. The pour is a cloudy brown from the wheat malt used in the brewing process. The tastes are toffee, butterscotch, toasted whole wheat bread and citrus and the hops are minimal. I'd guess the IBU to be 20-30 and the ABV is 5.5% which is a bit thin for a typical bock. Fine beverage with ribs, mild wings and all the side dishes from pasta and potato salads to baked beans and fresh fruits at the tailgate.

Some brewers notes:

Anchor Bock Beer, released in celebration of the coming of spring, is an ancient and mysterious part of the brewing tradition. Over time, the term “bock” has come to mean a beer darker and stronger than the brewery's “regular” brew. We hope you will find Anchor Bock to be a rich and flavorful addition to our other offerings.

San Francisco's Anchor Bock Beer is virtually handmade by the brewers of Anchor Steam® Beer, in one of the most traditional small breweries in the world. It is brewed from a complex blend of the finest barley malts, wheat malts, and fresh, whole hops.

Wonder what dpslaw will bring to the Tulane game...

:think:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Yes, it's me -- Ima -- posting on the BEER thread!

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 16th, 2011, 11:03 am

Subject: Fw: Fwd: Investment Advice

Kinda funny.
If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago,
You would have $49.00 today!

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you would have
$33.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago,
you would have $0.00 today.

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all
the beer, then turned in the aluminum cans for the recycling refund, you
would have received $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily
& recycle.

It is called the 401-Keg.

And as a bonus...A recent study found that the average American walks
about 900 miles a year. Another study found that on average Americans drink 22 gallons of alcohol a year. That means that the average American gets
about 41 miles to the gallon!

Makes you damned proud to be an American!

Here's to ya! :beer: Bless y'all's beer-drinkin' hearts.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Yes, it's me -- Ima -- posting on the BEER thread!

Post by devildeac » September 16th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Subject: Fw: Fwd: Investment Advice

Kinda funny.

$33.00 today.

& recycle.

about 900 miles a year. Another study found that on average Americans drink 22 gallons of alcohol a year. That means that the average American gets

Love, Ima
To Ima:

:clap: ^:)^ =))

Your post should give you about 50% of Cathy's total now on this thread 8-| :)) .
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Yes, it's me -- Ima -- posting on the BEER thread!

Post by CathyCA » September 16th, 2011, 2:57 pm

devildeac wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Subject: Fw: Fwd: Investment Advice

Kinda funny.

$33.00 today.

& recycle.

Love, Ima
To Ima:

:clap: ^:)^ =))

Your post should give you about 50% of Cathy's total now on this thread 8-| :)) .

Hey! We try to keep you craft beer guys entertained.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith