Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » June 22nd, 2009, 7:31 pm

Johnboy wrote:
wilson wrote:
I'm calling bullshit. I have been to the actual equator, that's standing directly on it, in Kenya. A guy there showed us a simple experiment with funnels. I saw with my own two eyes that even just a little bit of water (like half a pitcher's worth) swirls clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counter-clockwise 25 feet in the other direction. When we poured the water into the funnel on the equator, it just went straight down. :-o
Here it is in Uganda.
I was like, WTF...but then I realized you had linked it. I never notice the links over here.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » June 22nd, 2009, 8:12 pm

I call BS. Those guys on the equator are known hucksters. The coriolis effect is too small to be noticed in a tiny bucket of water on either side of the equator. They just set up a small perturbation at the beginning and it starts the water swirling the direction they want it.
-- DukeUsul
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » June 22nd, 2009, 8:57 pm

Hey Ozzie, how long are you in Hilton Head? The Walsworth clan will be down that way in about 2 weeks. We stay near Beaufort with the in-laws. We'll be getting there around the 5th of July.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 22nd, 2009, 11:24 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: My, my, my. What have I done to deserve all this abuse? :roll: :roll:

Greetings from Hilton Head Island :D I start work on the sunburn tomorrow. Today I mostly watched the US Open and then went shopping with my brood (Beth, Jennifer and Patrick). We don't have Wifi in the rooms, so internet access is limited - I'm at the pool now (5:30) and there is wifi here, but it is tough to see the computer screen in the bright sunshine :D :D
I'm trying really hard not to dislike you for this taunting. [-x :-l

Nahh, just color me green with envy - that sounds like a perfect day. Beach, golf, pool, hopefully a nice, frosty/malty beverage to be enjoyed poolside, with bright sunshine. Ahhhh, I can dream. :ymapplause:
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 23rd, 2009, 1:25 am

I...
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 23rd, 2009, 1:26 am

hate...
Sue71

moving.
Sue71

:-q
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 23rd, 2009, 6:55 am

Sue71 wrote::-q
Keep reminding yourself of your fabulous new place and how much you will enjoy living there.

Sending MAJOR moving vibes to you. Wish I could be there to help.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 23rd, 2009, 8:18 am

TillyGalore wrote:
Sue71 wrote::-q
Keep reminding yourself of your fabulous new place and how much you will enjoy living there.

Sending MAJOR moving vibes to you. Wish I could be there to help.

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
What Tilly said! :)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 23rd, 2009, 8:32 am

Moving definitely sucks. Just remember, it's worth it in the end. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 23rd, 2009, 9:31 am

Sue - sending vibes for a relatively hassle free move. Anticipate the first night in your new place and then really enjoy it when you get there.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 23rd, 2009, 9:32 am

Or - you could make Roxie move for you. ;)
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 23rd, 2009, 9:52 am

Sue - good luck on your move! Glad I am not there in CA or else, I'm sure I'd heaving of chest pain because you would have recruited me, then you would have said, just watch the cats and hold on to my keys......! :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 23rd, 2009, 10:18 am

Bostondevil wrote:Hey Ozzie, how long are you in Hilton Head? The Walsworth clan will be down that way in about 2 weeks. We stay near Beaufort with the in-laws. We'll be getting there around the 5th of July.
We're just here for this week. Same week, same condo since we bought our timeshare in 1984. We love it here. Timeshares can work out well if you do it right.

Just had coffee by the pool. A frosty malt beverage or three sounds like a plan for this afternoon! Golf tomorrow.

Moving vibes to Sue!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » June 23rd, 2009, 12:03 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I call BS. Those guys on the equator are known hucksters. The coriolis effect is too small to be noticed in a tiny bucket of water on either side of the equator. They just set up a small perturbation at the beginning and it starts the water swirling the direction they want it.
I gotta say, I wondered why he put his hand in there. It seems to me that you should be able to fill the funnel, let it rest and test the effect. You shouldn't have to put your hand in it. The water has to swirl one way or other or flow straight down.

I understand about a toilet - I think you could make them swirl either way by directing the stream coming down. What makes a bathtub swirl one way or the other - there's no channels or jets or other design elements there, and they do swirl, obviously.

I wonder if there's anything definitive on the 'net that would answer this question.
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » June 23rd, 2009, 12:05 pm

Last night I dreamed that I moved to California - with no notice. Just left work on Monday and was sharing an apartment with 2 people I didn't really know in CA on Tuesday. Didn't move for a job change - just walked away and would need to find work. Did dream about thinking how the old office could call with questions on how to do some of the things I did so I could walk them through it.

The mind is a strange thing. I'm blaming CB&B's trip for putting CA in my mind and the fact that I didn't want to leave PA for putting moving in my mind.
Life is good!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 23rd, 2009, 12:15 pm

Johnboy wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I call BS. Those guys on the equator are known hucksters. The coriolis effect is too small to be noticed in a tiny bucket of water on either side of the equator. They just set up a small perturbation at the beginning and it starts the water swirling the direction they want it.
I gotta say, I wondered why he put his hand in there. It seems to me that you should be able to fill the funnel, let it rest and test the effect. You shouldn't have to put your hand in it. The water has to swirl one way or other or flow straight down.

I understand about a toilet - I think you could make them swirl either way by directing the stream coming down. What makes a bathtub swirl one way or the other - there's no channels or jets or other design elements there, and they do swirl, obviously.

I wonder if there's anything definitive on the 'net that would answer this question.
I think it's time for us to take a trip to the equator and test this out ourselves!
Johnboy

Post by Johnboy » June 23rd, 2009, 2:12 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
I think it's time for us to take a trip to the equator and test this out ourselves!
Yeah! Equatorial crazietalk! We'll PW from there.
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 23rd, 2009, 7:49 pm

I just mowed my lawn. I love mowing my lawn. :D :D :D :D