LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 11th, 2011, 8:32 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I'm pretty good with Excel, too, which is why I started with VBA. One of the things I do pretty regularly is pull key words (gene symbol) out of a string of text (protein description), group the items in the spreadsheet by gene symbol, and then look up the gene symbols in instances where it wasn't given in the protein name. This can take hours. As it turns out, there's a downloadable database of protein accession numbers and gene symbols. I'm attempting to write a Perl script that will look at the appropriate column (accession number) on the spreadsheet that I get from my boss and pull in the gene symbols from the database.
When you said you were teaching yourself Perl I thought you were going to learn how to knit! I was waiting for BostonDevil to chime in...

We're all excited about seeing you in less than two weeks! Have you made your travel plans yet?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 11th, 2011, 8:55 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'm pretty good with Excel, too, which is why I started with VBA. One of the things I do pretty regularly is pull key words (gene symbol) out of a string of text (protein description), group the items in the spreadsheet by gene symbol, and then look up the gene symbols in instances where it wasn't given in the protein name. This can take hours. As it turns out, there's a downloadable database of protein accession numbers and gene symbols. I'm attempting to write a Perl script that will look at the appropriate column (accession number) on the spreadsheet that I get from my boss and pull in the gene symbols from the database.
When you said you were teaching yourself Perl I thought you were going to learn how to knit! I was waiting for BostonDevil to chime in...

We're all excited about seeing you in less than two weeks! Have you made your travel plans yet?
The only plan I've made so far, Ozzie, is to drive rather than fly. It gives me more opportunity to bring stuff (camera equipment, beer). Unfortunately I won't be able to leave until Friday, unless I can talk my sub into taking another week of handbell rehearsal for me. Another option would be to pack up my car on Thursday and drive for a couple of hours Thursday night, after I get out of handbell rehearsal at 7:30. Has kickoff time been officially announced yet? Last time I looked it was TBA.

Since I can bring beer, are there any requests? I can bring seasonal selections from O'Fallon's and/or Schlafly's.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 11th, 2011, 9:41 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

The only plan I've made so far, Ozzie, is to drive rather than fly. It gives me more opportunity to bring stuff (camera equipment, beer). Unfortunately I won't be able to leave until Friday, unless I can talk my sub into taking another week of handbell rehearsal for me. Another option would be to pack up my car on Thursday and drive for a couple of hours Thursday night, after I get out of handbell rehearsal at 7:30. Has kickoff time been officially announced yet? Last time I looked it was TBA.

Since I can bring beer, are there any requests? I can bring seasonal selections from O'Fallon's and/or Schlafly's.
Not yet. I believe the TBA should be announced tomorrow, the 12th; that's what I heard anyway. We're expecting an early afternoon game, hoping it won't be the 12:30 game.

I'll leave the beer recommendations to DD, but your suggestions sound good! :D

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 11th, 2011, 9:45 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Any seasonal selections from those brewers would be delicious. =p~
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 11th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Turk wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I can't believe I'm brave enough (or crazie enough) to fly Sunday, 9-ll. :veryconfused:
I beg to differ, I've done it before. No day would be safer, IMHO. Might need to get to the airport an hour or two earlier for the bonus cavity search, though... :obscene-buttsway:
I arrived safe and sound. I wish all airports were as easy as Houston Hobby. I had forgotten how small it is. I had good flights. I actually felt more comfortable on American Eagle than the larger plane. More leg room. Melinda and I had lunch at Kenny and Ziggie's Deli. It was great. I had corn beef on rye. I like it better then Carnegie. No dinner tonight, we were not hungry. I did have a Sam Adams. :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 11th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
Turk wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I can't believe I'm brave enough (or crazie enough) to fly Sunday, 9-ll. :veryconfused:
I beg to differ, I've done it before. No day would be safer, IMHO. Might need to get to the airport an hour or two earlier for the bonus cavity search, though... :obscene-buttsway:
I arrived safe and sound. I wish all airports were as easy as Houston Hobby. I had forgotten how small it is. I had good flights. I actually felt more comfortable on American Eagle than the larger plane. More leg room. Melinda and I had lunch at Kenny and Ziggie's Deli. It was great. I had corn beef on rye. I like it better then Carnegie. No dinner tonight, we were not hungry. I did have a Sam Adams. :D
VDB, have a great time! Glad to hear you got there safely.
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » September 12th, 2011, 7:11 am

There is a Wilson sighting...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2011, 7:48 am

YmoBeThere wrote:There is a Wilson sighting...
You must mean Russell Wilson, the former NCSU QB who tore it up with his 1st game in a Badgers uni.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 12th, 2011, 9:04 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what date is the game?
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2011, 9:20 am

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

9/17-BC-away
9/24-Tulane-home-I'd bet a 1 PM KO time for this one. Brunchgate!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 12th, 2011, 9:26 am

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I'm pretty good with Excel, too, which is why I started with VBA. One of the things I do pretty regularly is pull key words (gene symbol) out of a string of text (protein description), group the items in the spreadsheet by gene symbol, and then look up the gene symbols in instances where it wasn't given in the protein name. This can take hours. As it turns out, there's a downloadable database of protein accession numbers and gene symbols. I'm attempting to write a Perl script that will look at the appropriate column (accession number) on the spreadsheet that I get from my boss and pull in the gene symbols from the database.

9/17-BC-away
We should know today.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2011, 9:36 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:I'm pretty good with Excel, too, which is why I started with VBA. One of the things I do pretty regularly is pull key words (gene symbol) out of a string of text (protein description), group the items in the spreadsheet by gene symbol, and then look up the gene symbols in instances where it wasn't given in the protein name. This can take hours. As it turns out, there's a downloadable database of protein accession numbers and gene symbols. I'm attempting to write a Perl script that will look at the appropriate column (accession number) on the spreadsheet that I get from my boss and pull in the gene symbols from the database.

9/17-BC-away
We should know today.
I'm having visions of scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, French Toast, bagels, a fruit tray, banananana (or pumpkin) bread and pasties, err, pastries.

I'm also getting my earplugs ready because I can already hear CB&B and TNTDevil cussing up a Pantone 287 streak because of that start time.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 12th, 2011, 11:50 am

Umm... in the previous two messages, please use the correct quotes. I did not state that about Excel... although I teach a course in it... in about 90 minutes. :D :-B
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » September 12th, 2011, 7:38 pm

FutureDA starts daycare tomorrow. I start back to work on Wed.

Just halfdays this week, then fulltime for both of us next week. :-s :(( :ymtongue:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 12th, 2011, 7:40 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:FutureDA starts daycare tomorrow. I start back to work on Wed.

Just halfdays this week, then fulltime for both of us next week. :-s :(( :ymtongue:

Prayers and vibes for a peaceful transition.
Life is good!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 12th, 2011, 7:48 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:FutureDA starts daycare tomorrow. I start back to work on Wed.

Big hugs to you three. You'll find working is usually much easier than being a stay at home parent. Two great things about daycare: she will build an amazing immune system and develop great social skills. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 12th, 2011, 8:39 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

Prayers and vibes for a peaceful transition.
I'll second what DinK said. :D :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » September 12th, 2011, 8:42 pm

My boss invited the whole lab out to lunch on Wednesday. I really don't want to go, but I probably should. Bah humbug.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » September 12th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Watching the finale of Bachelor Pad. These reality shows are drama and comedy.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 12th, 2011, 9:09 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My boss invited the whole lab out to lunch on Wednesday. I really don't want to go, but I probably should. Bah humbug.
Yes, you should. I sense some surprise coming. Something good for you. Just a good feeling I have.