Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: What's for dinner?

Post by windsor » April 19th, 2011, 1:24 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
windsor wrote:Brisket...can you have a Seder without Brisket :D
Happy Pesach!

You know, in all the years I went to the big family (50 to 60 people) Seders in Toronto as a kid back in the late 50's and 60's, with all the foods served, they never served brisket. And they certainly never asked my mother to cook - little did they know... ;)

Last night we went to Texas Steak House. I thought of the 4 Questions before I ate my roll, asking "Why is this night different from all other nights?" - this should be a piece of matzoh and not leavened bread... Oh well. I ate it anyway. /:)
We didn't have an egg for the Seder plate...so we used the chopped liver...because that is where all the eggs went.

dipping twice, and reclining :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 19th, 2011, 1:27 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Tonight, we're having beef ribs on the grill. I started marinating them yesterday with a little olive oil, red wine, red pepper flakes and garlic. I will also make oven fries with garlic salt and black pepper. The other sides will be sliver queen corn, from last years garden and a salad. I'm hoping our grandson Josh, and Liz will get here from Chicago in time to eat. Can't wait to see them. :ymhug:
Josh and Liz have a plan change. They are leaving tomorrow. :ymhug:
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 19th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Does anyone have a good recipe for Key Lime or Lime vinaigrette? Paul Newman has a wonderful Lime Vinaigrette, but I have had better at restaurants. Anyone have a recipe? Thanks.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » April 19th, 2011, 4:11 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Does anyone have a good recipe for Key Lime or Lime vinaigrette? Paul Newman has a wonderful Lime Vinaigrette, but I have had better at restaurants. Anyone have a recipe? Thanks.
I don't know how adventurous you are, but I would start with your favorite Balsalmic Vinaigrette and replace the vinegar with lime juice at a 1:1 ratio, and then go from there. Chances are you'll need to add some sweetener, so I'd have honey on hand (one tbsp per cup of oil at a time). Perhaps you could zest the lime first and add that to the mix, or use orange or lemon zest to give it more depth.

Take notes and let us know what ratios worked best for you! Also, tell us how you're using it. :-)
sMiles
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 19th, 2011, 6:59 pm

We stopped by Jean's Berry Patch on the first day of picking today. So we're going to pig out on great big shortcakes. They're in the oven now. The first real shortcake of the season is always the best. So we don't even bother with dinner on a night like this.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » April 19th, 2011, 7:31 pm

In n' Out Burger in Petaluma, CA.....yummy goodness!! :happy-bouncyblue:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » April 19th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:We stopped by Jean's Berry Patch on the first day of picking today. So we're going to pig out on great big shortcakes. They're in the oven now. The first real shortcake of the season is always the best. So we don't even bother with dinner on a night like this.
Love, Ima
Yum!!!!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 19th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:We stopped by Jean's Berry Patch on the first day of picking today. So we're going to pig out on great big shortcakes. They're in the oven now. The first real shortcake of the season is always the best. So we don't even bother with dinner on a night like this.
Love, Ima
Ymm! I can't wait until our local berry patch opens. I :x :x :x strawberry shortcake!

Ima, do you have a good recipe for shortcake that you could post here or in the recipe thread? I use the recipe off the Jiffy box (substituting Splenda for the sugar) and they're good but not as great as I remember. My grandmother used to put fresh strawberries over Krispy Kreme doughnuts and had real whipped cream. =p~ =p~ =p~
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 19th, 2011, 9:17 pm

robertduke32 wrote:In n' Out Burger in Petaluma, CA.....yummy goodness!! :happy-bouncyblue:
My sister in law lives in San Diego and she loves the In 'n Out, as do her daughters who now live in Myrtle Beach. They took me there a couple of years ago when I visited. It was good, but honestly, I didn't see what all the fuss was all about.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 19th, 2011, 9:37 pm

robertduke32 wrote:In n' Out Burger in Petaluma, CA.....yummy goodness!! :happy-bouncyblue:
I love me some In N Out Burger! I'd like a cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate shake. YUM!

While you're out in Petaluma, be sure to head down to Stinson Beach and pick up some sand dollars.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 19th, 2011, 9:41 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
My sister in law lives in San Diego and she loves the In 'n Out, as do her daughters who now live in Myrtle Beach. They took me there a couple of years ago when I visited. It was good, but honestly, I didn't see what all the fuss was all about.
Did you have one of their shakes? Did you try the fries? Did you eat a burger?

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 19th, 2011, 10:15 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

No, yes and yes. Like I said, it was good, but not earth shatteringly good!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 19th, 2011, 10:31 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: My sister in law lives in San Diego and she loves the In 'n Out, as do her daughters who now live in Myrtle Beach. They took me there a couple of years ago when I visited. It was good, but honestly, I didn't see what all the fuss was all about.

No, yes and yes. Like I said, it was good, but not earth shatteringly good!
Their chocolate shakes are YUMMY! I wonder if I could get Christian to bring one back to me on Sunday. . .

Just thinking about In N Out Burger puts pounds on my mid-section!

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 19th, 2011, 10:34 pm

I shouldn't look at this thread before bedtime. Y'all are making me hungry.
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 19th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Grilled pork tenderloin, salad with strawberries, gorgonzola, candied pecans, and balsamic, grilled corn on the cob, bread.
Amelia came over so she and Mom could spend some time together. I puttered over dinner while they chatted and sipped wine. Successful all the way around, with some exciting leftovers to show for it.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » April 19th, 2011, 10:42 pm

wilson wrote:Grilled pork tenderloin, salad with strawberries, gorgonzola, candied pecans, and balsamic, grilled corn on the cob, bread.
Amelia came over so she and Mom could spend some time together. I puttered over dinner while they chatted and sipped wine. Successful all the way around, with some exciting leftovers to show for it.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Glad the Mom and Amelia time went well, and the food sounds divine! :Pirate:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 19th, 2011, 11:26 pm

CathyCA wrote:
robertduke32 wrote:While you're out in Petaluma, be sure to head down to Stinson Beach and pick up some sand dollars.

THAT'S THE NAME OF THAT BEACH!!!!!

(for those that weren't there, Cathy and I were both racking our brains one day trying to remember the name of the beach she recommended us to check out..she's right..there are sand dollars)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 19th, 2011, 11:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
robertduke32 wrote:While you're out in Petaluma, be sure to head down to Stinson Beach and pick up some sand dollars.

THAT'S THE NAME OF THAT BEACH!!!!!

(for those that weren't there, Cathy and I were both racking our brains one day trying to remember the name of the beach she recommended us to check out..she's right..there are sand dollars)
Early onset Alzheimer's strikes again.

But GO to Stinson Beach and pick up sand dollars while you're out there! It will be fun. I promise!

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 29th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Hamburger Helper (err, Wholesome Helper), Stroganoff, with broccoli. Dessert... watermelon and almonds, and my simvastatin.
Good times!
:|
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » August 30th, 2011, 12:51 am

Homemade chicken enchiladas, and margaritas! Yumm!