Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » June 20th, 2009, 8:41 am

rockymtn devil wrote:The Reverend and a nice steak (which was considerably larger than I thought it would be). 'Nuf said.
That sure is looking yummy! I've never seen a steak presented that way, very nice! Where was this? What was the cut of meat? Do they deliver over internet? :D
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » June 20th, 2009, 11:51 am

cl15876 wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:The Reverend and a nice steak (which was considerably larger than I thought it would be). 'Nuf said.
That sure is looking yummy! I've never seen a steak presented that way, very nice! Where was this? What was the cut of meat? Do they deliver over internet? :D
It's a bone-in ribeye, also called a cowboy steak. I received a gift card from Allen Brothers steak company, which generally supplies to high-end restaurants. They send the steaks flash frozen, so they last for up to a year.

As for where that was, it was in my lovely shoebox apartment in NW Denver :D
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 20th, 2009, 12:34 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
It's a bone-in ribeye, also called a cowboy steak. I received a gift card from Allen Brothers steak company, which generally supplies to high-end restaurants. They send the steaks flash frozen, so they last for up to a year.

I guess good things come to those raised in a shoe box...., my folks (Mom specifically will telll about me sleeping in a card board box as a youngster (times were hard)..... if it works... don't fix it, it's all perspective! =)) =)) =)) helps one to appreciate the finer things, like that that steak and corn..... when it presents itself!!!! OMG... I'm going to fix lunch.... I've been salivating over that image all morning..... :ymparty: :ymparty: :p :p :p :ymparty: :ymparty: I'll be looking for the Allen Brothers online because I need to pack my freezer (and tummy) accordingly!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 20th, 2009, 1:07 pm

cl15876 wrote:
I'll bet he got it fresh from one of the free range cattle in his neighborhood... :roll: :lol:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 20th, 2009, 5:34 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote: ...
2. Sounds like we need a group outing/therapy at the AB sometime... ;)
I love that idea! 7/11 is a special day so I am leaving that open, but 7/25 I might down your way for the weekend, but the outing maybe scarce of the ladies, as I they are having their own get together. Maybe in Aug, if not before, for the CTN outing if it is Aug 8th at the ballpark! Otherwise, we'll figure it out! :-bd
I'll be gone 7/25 through 7/31, so some other week would be better for me. Perhaps if/when we do the Durham Bulls game outing, we can go to the AB an adjacent night!

Speaking of the Durham Bulls game, are we supposed to order tickets individually or is someone going to do a group purchase (and everyone else pay them back)? Normally I'd volunteer to do that, like with the tent, but I'm heading to HHI tomorrow so I can't do it.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 20th, 2009, 5:38 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
cl15876 wrote:

Steak on a stick! One to go, please! Medium rare. I love it!

Rush is always hawking the AB steaks, AB even has a "Rush pack". Never had one, but it sure looks good. Tonight I'll have to settle for a 20 oz. T-bone :D :D :D :D :D :D :x :x :x :x :x
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 20th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Returned from Craft Brew Fest after a spectacular few hours of beer drinking. Huge crowds limited the number of beers that I could sample but still had some excellent ones..Top 5 in no order were
-- Deschutes Mirror Mirror Barleywine--Thanks to the RMD and Devildeac, this was my first stop...
-- 2007 Stone RIS--I'm a huge fan of this beer new but the slightly aged one was even better..I'm hiding the few spring 08s of this that I have for a few years..
--Ballast Point Dorado Double IPA--A lot of hops but so smooth..
--Duck Rabbit Pauls Day Off Black Ale---I wish they would distribute in MA, as I tried a few by them and they were spectacular. I picked up a snifter and pint glass from them to commemorate..
--Surly Darkness--They waited until the end of the session before tapping this so it ended up being my last beer..just an incredible stout well worth the hype..

Surly Furious, Stone Double Dry-hopped Ruination, 2006 New Holland Dragon's Milk, Duck Rabbit Barleywine, and Weyebacher bottle-conditioned double simcoe would round out my top 10..

Great time...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 20th, 2009, 8:40 pm

bluebear wrote:Returned from Craft Brew Fest after a spectacular few hours of beer drinking. Huge crowds limited the number of beers that I could sample but still had some excellent ones..Top 5 in no order were
-- Deschutes Mirror Mirror Barleywine--Thanks to the RMD and Devildeac, this was my first stop...
-- 2007 Stone RIS--I'm a huge fan of this beer new but the slightly aged one was even better..I'm hiding the few spring 08s of this that I have for a few years..
--Ballast Point Dorado Double IPA--A lot of hops but so smooth..
--Duck Rabbit Pauls Day Off Black Ale---I wish they would distribute in MA, as I tried a few by them and they were spectacular. I picked up a snifter and pint glass from them to commemorate..
--Surly Darkness--They waited until the end of the session before tapping this so it ended up being my last beer..just an incredible stout well worth the hype..

Surly Furious, Stone Double Dry-hopped Ruination, 2006 New Holland Dragon's Milk, Duck Rabbit Barleywine, and Weyebacher bottle-conditioned double simcoe would round out my top 10..

Great time...
Sounds great. Hope you have plenty of time to sleep it off this evening...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 20th, 2009, 10:20 pm

devildeac wrote:CB%B's 8 or 9 month old Dunkelweiss-this held up well from his fall brewing. I had my doubts but it was dark brown, smooth and malty with caramel and milk chocolate tastes. IBU around 30-40 with an estimated ABV of about 5%. Part I of tonight's session. This had been cellared for Lavabe but we never made the exchange so it's mine to win or lose on and I'm glad I kept it and he's in Madagascar. ;) He's just going to have to drive down for a fall Brunchgate or two to make some beer trades.

Part II will be a 8-9 month old Belgian Red. Getting ready to pour now. Report tomorrow. :D
CB&B's Belgian Red held up fairly well also. Slightly reddish-brown with slightly piney hop tastes and light caramel flavors. Good representation of the style and certainly better than Killian's and a few of the other reds that I have sampled. IBU's are mild, I'd guess 30-40, with an estimated ABV of about 5%.

Damn, I found another couple of his brews from Spring Brunchgate and I'm gonna have to have them tonight... :D ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 20th, 2009, 10:41 pm

devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:CB%B's 8 or 9 month old Dunkelweiss-this held up well from his fall brewing. I had my doubts but it was dark brown, smooth and malty with caramel and milk chocolate tastes. IBU around 30-40 with an estimated ABV of about 5%. Part I of tonight's session. This had been cellared for Lavabe but we never made the exchange so it's mine to win or lose on and I'm glad I kept it and he's in Madagascar. ;) He's just going to have to drive down for a fall Brunchgate or two to make some beer trades.

Part II will be a 8-9 month old Belgian Red. Getting ready to pour now. Report tomorrow. :D
CB&B's Belgian Red held up fairly well also. Slightly reddish-brown with slightly piney hop tastes and light caramel flavors. Good representation of the style and certainly better than Killian's and a few of the other reds that I have sampled. IBU's are mild, I'd guess 30-40, with an estimated ABV of about 5%.

Damn, I found another couple of his brews from Spring Brunchgate and I'm gonna have to have them tonight... :D ;)
Damn, I love Killians - I'd like to try this sometime!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 20th, 2009, 11:00 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I will wager that if you ask CB&B kinda nicely, he'll brew a batch and bring a few to Brunchgate in the fall. ;) :D

Of course, you'll have to bring a few good "traders" as I always do to our outings. :ymparty: =p~
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 20th, 2009, 11:06 pm

CB&B's Dunno But It's Good-60 day (or 90) sampling. I sniffed and I thought it had spoiled but the taste was still good. Not much different than the 30 day review except I think it is a bit lighter now, both in color and texture. Reminds me this time of a very dark brown ale or a light porter. Malty and slightly sweet and caramel -like with a hint of mild chocolate. Hops in the back seat here. I'd guess 30-40 IBU and 6% ABV. A nice starter for the evening... :oops: ;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 21st, 2009, 12:00 am

Good to hear my brews lasted as long as DD has held on to them. We camped in Yosemite last night, and on the way I found a store much like Total Wine (I almost think it has to be the same outfit under a different name). Surprisingly, they didn't have much I haven't found on the east coast. They did carry Full Sail, so I picked up a 6 of the amber. I don't have much to post in the way of a review, maybe later tonight if I still have one. I will say I really enjoyed them. I picked up two bombers tonight for tasting. (We are just south of Napa for the night) One is Elysian The Immortal IPA, and the other is Anderson Valley Brewing's Boont Amber Ale. Reviews coming later tonight.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2009, 9:23 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Good to hear my brews lasted as long as DD has held on to them. We camped in Yosemite last night, and on the way I found a store much like Total Wine (I almost think it has to be the same outfit under a different name). Surprisingly, they didn't have much I haven't found on the east coast. They did carry Full Sail, so I picked up a 6 of the amber. I don't have much to post in the way of a review, maybe later tonight if I still have one. I will say I really enjoyed them. I picked up two bombers tonight for tasting. (We are just south of Napa for the night) One is Elysian The Immortal IPA, and the other is Anderson Valley Brewing's Boont Amber Ale. Reviews coming later tonight.
Was that store called BevMo?

Have fun in Napa. I hope you get all the way up to Saint Helena today.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 21st, 2009, 9:35 am

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I will wager that if you ask CB&B kinda nicely, he'll brew a batch and bring a few to Brunchgate in the fall. ;) :D

Of course, you'll have to bring a few good "traders" as I always do to our outings. :ymparty: =p~
Y'all have me hooked on the tasting and I definitely enjoy sharing and making contributions, but none of that compares to the wonderful friendships and comradery that have resulted! CB&B, if you the opportunity to brew some more of that Belgian Red .... I'll bring the ribs and even come down to hang out and help to learn from your tutilage and have wonderful eats as well! I am looking forward to this fall! :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 21st, 2009, 11:49 am

CathyCA wrote: Was that store called BevMo?
Yup, that was it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 21st, 2009, 12:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Yup, that was it.
If you're going to be near Santa Rosa (Sonoma County), the Bottle Barn would be worth a stop if you're looking for a top notch selection of Western beers that you'd struggle to find back east. For starters, you'd find most of the Russian River offerings, which are only distributed to California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado and Pennsylvania.

http://www.bottlebarn.com/

According to the website they have 100+ different bombers and, from personal experience, it's the best beer store I've ever been to.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2009, 1:57 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Yup, that was it.
If you're going to be near Santa Rosa (Sonoma County), the Bottle Barn would be worth a stop if you're looking for a top notch selection of Western beers that you'd struggle to find back east. For starters, you'd find most of the Russian River offerings, which are only distributed to California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado and Pennsylvania.

http://www.bottlebarn.com/

According to the website they have 100+ different bombers and, from personal experience, it's the best beer store I've ever been to.
Now THAT is an odd distribution map :( :x :?
Johnboy

Post by Johnboy » June 22nd, 2009, 6:06 pm

Creative beer bottle opening.

. . . and the best way I've yet seen (must be twist-off!) - I predict that this will be Shammrog's favorite, too.
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 22nd, 2009, 7:11 pm

Johnboy wrote:Creative beer bottle opening.

. . . and the best way I've yet seen (must be twist-off!) - I predict that this will be Shammrog's favorite, too.
Too funny! I saw several techniques I could appreciate! Just goes to show, where there is a will, there is a way!!!! =)) =)) =)) Hey, didn't I see you in there demonstrating a few techniques of the trade? :D

Thank goodness, my favorite person got me a key chain bottle opener, .... have opener will never suffer from dry mouth! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))