The Official Irene Go The Hell Away Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

The Official Irene Go The Hell Away Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 23rd, 2011, 9:08 am

There is still plenty of time for Irene to drift east out to sea, or south (although I'd rather it just miss land altogether). Vibe away that she stay away. If she comes in like they are predicting, my trailer is going to be a pancake.

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Official Irene Go The Hell Away Thread

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 23rd, 2011, 10:17 am

Blow east, young lady, blow east! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

"My Momma Didn't Raise No Fool...

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 23rd, 2011, 11:15 am

And I'm Trying To Grow Up Not (Too) Stupid"

Or so I would title the book I'm not writing. With Irene possibly coming our way, I looked at the tree in our front yard with the spindly branch overhanging the power line coming into the house, and I thought to myself "Self, why don't you get out your extension ladder and bow saw and cut off that limb so it doesn't fall on the power line if the storm comes through this weekend." Hmmm, I can rest the ladder on the branch and cut the limb beyond it and it will fall harmlessly to the ground. Sounds like a plan. The ladder, fully extended 12', just reaches the limb by ~6". So far, so good. Ground is solid, branch seems solid. Another so good. There are three 1" to 2 1/2" branches that I want to cut, rather than the one larger 4" branch that I'm leaning against, so there is less weight falling at one time so the branch I'm using for support doesn't suddenly snap back and throw me off the ladder (cognizant of potential danger and taking appropriate but dubious actions, maybe ok, but perhaps a condition yellow). I cut the first branch, a 1"er. As it falls, I see that it is a Y shape, and promptly hangs up on the power line. Damn. I can't reach it from the ladder, I can't reach it from the ground. I'll attend to it later. Cut the next branch, a 2"er. This one doesn't cut quite as cleanly, but eventually the stringy part does cut, but it snags in the first branch and doesn't fall to the ground either. Damn, this isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped. No, I don't want to pull on it and pull down my power line. NO, I will not use my aluminum ladder as a tool and try to push the branches up and over the power line (see the title of my non book!) I called the Town of Smithfield's utility office (I know these folks very well for business reasons) and explain what I've done and that I need their tree limb trimming folks to come fix my "problem". They actually provide this service "free" to prevent power outages - the ToS sells us our power (at a big profit and significantly higher rates than Progress Energy's) - so it's in there best interest to do this and keep up on line and using power. About 30 minutes later, their bucket truck rolls up and they took care of my "problem" (they didn't need the bucket, just their extended hand saw and pusher poll). They even cut the third small branch I hadn't gotten to and a fourth one I wasn't going to cut, just in case. B-)

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Irene takes out this tree. I wish Fran had in 1996 - it's an ugly tree with spindly branches and small leaves.

August West
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by August West » August 23rd, 2011, 11:43 am

The latest from WRAL weather has Irene coming ashore Saturday at Morehead City. :Angry Orc: Run away, CB&B, run away! Watercolors and hurricanes are not friends. Everyone face east and blow Irene out to sea. :wizard: AW.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 23rd, 2011, 12:33 pm

August West wrote:The latest from WRAL weather has Irene coming ashore Saturday at Morehead City. :Angry Orc: Run away, CB&B, run away! Watercolors and hurricanes are not friends. Everyone face east and blow Irene out to sea. :wizard: AW.
as a long time Floridian (aka Hurricane Alley) they safest place to go is the projected landfall location 5 days out...the damn things NEVER go where they are supposed to. If they are saying MHC on Saturday it will be Long Island on Sunday or Charleston on Friday.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 23rd, 2011, 12:34 pm

plus the spaghetti models are trending east...
models_storm2.jpg
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2011, 1:18 pm

I hope that it dwindles to just a big storm with NO damaging winds that crosses Florida, gathers more water over the Gulf, and then dumps lots of water on Texas. They really need it.

Please don't take this personally, Windsor. I'm really not wishing any damage to Florida with this wish. In fact, this wish would probably move the storm right over my Orlando brother's house but hopefully would take some much needed rain to my Texas brother's place.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: "My Momma Didn't Raise No Fool...

Post by CathyCA » August 23rd, 2011, 3:39 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:And I'm Trying To Grow Up Not (Too) Stupid"

Or so I would title the book I'm not writing. With Irene possibly coming our way, I looked at the tree in our front yard with the spindly branch overhanging the power line coming into the house, and I thought to myself "Self, why don't you get out your extension ladder and bow saw and cut off that limb so it doesn't fall on the power line if the storm comes through this weekend." Hmmm, I can rest the ladder on the branch and cut the limb beyond it and it will fall harmlessly to the ground. Sounds like a plan. The ladder, fully extended 12', just reaches the limb by ~6". So far, so good. Ground is solid, branch seems solid. Another so good. There are three 1" to 2 1/2" branches that I want to cut, rather than the one larger 4" branch that I'm leaning against, so there is less weight falling at one time so the branch I'm using for support doesn't suddenly snap back and throw me off the ladder (cognizant of potential danger and taking appropriate but dubious actions, maybe ok, but perhaps a condition yellow). I cut the first branch, a 1"er. As it falls, I see that it is a Y shape, and promptly hangs up on the power line. Damn. I can't reach it from the ladder, I can't reach it from the ground. I'll attend to it later. Cut the next branch, a 2"er. This one doesn't cut quite as cleanly, but eventually the stringy part does cut, but it snags in the first branch and doesn't fall to the ground either. Damn, this isn't going as smoothly as I had hoped. No, I don't want to pull on it and pull down my power line. NO, I will not use my aluminum ladder as a tool and try to push the branches up and over the power line (see the title of my non book!) I called the Town of Smithfield's utility office (I know these folks very well for business reasons) and explain what I've done and that I need their tree limb trimming folks to come fix my "problem". They actually provide this service "free" to prevent power outages - the ToS sells us our power (at a big profit and significantly higher rates than Progress Energy's) - so it's in there best interest to do this and keep up on line and using power. About 30 minutes later, their bucket truck rolls up and they took care of my "problem" (they didn't need the bucket, just their extended hand saw and pusher poll). They even cut the third small branch I hadn't gotten to and a fourth one I wasn't going to cut, just in case. B-)

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Irene takes out this tree. I wish Fran had in 1996 - it's an ugly tree with spindly branches and small leaves.

I'm laughing at your tree story, Ozzie.

I'm hoping that Irene knocks down the tremendous wasp nest that appeared outside my bedroom window this week. I do not need/want to hire an exterminator to take this thing down. Strong winds and some rain will do the trick.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 23rd, 2011, 4:22 pm

CathyCA wrote:

I'm hoping that Irene knocks down the tremendous wasp nest that appeared outside my bedroom window this week. I do not need/want to hire an exterminator to take this thing down. Strong winds and some rain will do the trick.

Glad you found it funny. Every word is true, but I had to laugh at it myself...

Do you have a pest control service spray for bugs on a quarterly basis? If so, they'll probably handle your wasp nest at no extra charge. Mine does - it's a covered pest, just like ants, including red ants, should they appear. Well worth the $55/quarter they charge.

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 23rd, 2011, 5:31 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Glad you found it funny. Every word is true, but I had to laugh at it myself...

Do you have a pest control service spray for bugs on a quarterly basis? If so, they'll probably handle your wasp nest at no extra charge. Mine does - it's a covered pest, just like ants, including red ants, should they appear. Well worth the $55/quarter they charge.
No, I don't have a pest control service. I have an annual termite contract. I handle my own bugs. I have a veritable pharmacy shelf full of bug sprays and powders on the shelf in my garage. I'm just not too keen about getting up on the ladder to aim the bug spray and then having to flee when the angry wasps swarm me. That's why I'm hoping for the Hurricane Irene method of pest eradication.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 23rd, 2011, 7:07 pm

CathyCA wrote:
No, I don't have a pest control service. I have an annual termite contract. I handle my own bugs. I have a veritable pharmacy shelf full of bug sprays and powders on the shelf in my garage. I'm just not too keen about getting up on the ladder to aim the bug spray and then having to flee when the angry wasps swarm me. That's why I'm hoping for the Hurricane Irene method of pest eradication.

Please don't. This is one of those things best left to a professional and spending a few $ to get it done safely, just so something doesn't go wrong. Sort of like hiring a good lawyer when you need one ;)

DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2011, 8:22 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Please don't. This is one of those things best left to a professional and spending a few $ to get it done safely, just so something doesn't go wrong. Sort of like hiring a good lawyer when you need one ;)
Or having someone with the proper equipment trim a tree?
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2011, 8:22 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

oooh - double post. Should I delete it or let is stay to pad my post count? I'll have to think about this for a while.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 23rd, 2011, 8:56 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Perhaps, but I was close and I knew my limit.

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 23rd, 2011, 8:57 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

oooh - double post. Should I delete it or let is stay to pad my post count? I'll have to think about this for a while.
Don't you dare remove it!
Perhaps, but I was close and I knew my limit. ;)

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 23rd, 2011, 9:51 pm

To take care of a wasp nest, do it in the evening or very early in the morning when they are dormant. A friend of ours majored in forestry took care of several nest we had at the lake. He used a board to smash the nest. Results: no more wasp.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 23rd, 2011, 10:48 pm

I'm not messing with this wasp nest until after Irene comes through. Hopefully, she'll do the trick for me.

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 24th, 2011, 1:19 pm

Can we line up some ACC referees along the coast? We all know they blow!
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 24th, 2011, 2:19 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Can we line up some ACC referees along the coast? We all know they blow!
Too Funny!

:D
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 24th, 2011, 4:20 pm

IowaDevil wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Can we line up some ACC referees along the coast? We all know they blow!
Too Funny!

:D
...and throw in a few Chinese ones for good measure, bless their hearts.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe