Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by cl15876 » June 18th, 2009, 3:56 pm

captmojo wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
captmojo wrote:Patrick Co. VA
Pretty country down there! not too far from Clifton Forge where as a young man, my dad and I used to hunt whitetail when he was able to treck thru the mountains.... I love south, western VA, especially in the area you are shooting these pics! what was the occasion or is this off your back deck? Talk about peace and tranquility!!!!! OMG....
I feel closer to what I consider Heaven on Earth there, more than any other place I know of.
I know this is the beer thread, no intent to hijack. Many will be consumed.
Some, over at that other place, doubted my wilderness camping experiences.
Fuck 'em.
Amen - I didn't realize we were even in the beer thread..(I got lost in those pics).... =)) =)) =)) =)) I think we need to start our own thread... I couldn't agree with you more and those who doubt anything you've said, haven't been there to experience first hand so they can relate! I am with you brother, I have and that is the closest place to Heaven as you say... if you breath it in, that anyone will ever experience accompanied of course by the beauty and awesomeness of the beach!!!!! :-bd
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 18th, 2009, 4:10 pm

The scream of a mountain lion, just as it turns dark, will curl your hair. It's no fun to stumble upon a black bear mother with her cub. This can be a dangerous place, but it's beauty is breathtaking. Fortunately, I no longer have to camp. I care take an old farmhouse for an owner living in Ohio. His property has lake access. I admit, I do miss waking up to coffee by the fire pit but I don't miss the hard labor of camp set-up and tear-down. Buying gallons of water, propane, drying wet clothing and bedding is a pain as well. Shit! I've gotten old!
PICT0023.JPG
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 18th, 2009, 4:20 pm

captmojo wrote:The scream of a mountain lion, just as it turns dark, will curl your hair. It's no fun to stumble upon a black bear mother with her cub. This can be a dangerous place, but it's beauty is breathtaking. Fortunately, I no longer have to camp. I care take an old farmhouse for an owner living in Ohio. His property has lake access. I admit, I do miss waking up to coffee by the fire pit but I don't miss the hard labor of camp set-up and tear-down. Buying gallons of water, propane, drying wet clothing and bedding is a pain as well. Shit! I've gotten old!
PICT0023.JPG
Oh my, seen and done that (with exception of the mountain lion as far as I was aware).... but all kinds of other wildlife to include the mama bear and her cubs and many others.... Training helped me walk thru woods (see things that most could not) and even walk up on a deer beckoning for others and get within arms reach about 3 feet... OMG.... :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o .... talk about a surprise... that is worth a story and beer over a camp fire smelling the fresh air and seeing the gorgeous stars above and taking it all in!!!!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 18th, 2009, 10:26 pm

bluebear wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:
bluebear wrote:
Yes, Stone not Great Divide..Sorry about that..was thinking a little too much about the GD 15..did you find some?
I haven't looked yet. I'm sure I'll be able to find some, but if not I'll stop off at the brewery this weekend and grab a few bombers.

At Avery last weekend I was disappointed to see that they no longer offer 5 free tasters. The good news, though, is that tasters are only a $1 (and you can buy pints if that suits you better) and it's a still good deal.

I tried some Maharaja from the cask, which was much softer and more drinkable than the keg variety. I also had Van Diemen, which is a Black Saison brewed in conjunction with the people at the Mountain Sun Cafe (a must stop for visitors to Boulder) and is only available at the three Mountain Sun owned bars and the Avery tap room. The beer was spicy and tart, which a heavy sour cherry flavor. It was pretty delicious and well worth the $1 I paid.
I need to relocate...
My thoughts exactly... :((
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 18th, 2009, 10:28 pm

cl15876 wrote:DD - To your birthday.... I searched and searched and searched and came up with a Leffe,
I am sure you will understand that I won't drink the entire 6 pack because it MIGHT end up with a HEFFE!!!! :D

In all seriousness.... I went out this evening to find your favorite to toast and honor you on this special day, however, I couldn't locate the ChemyEEEE but found plenty of HEFFEEEEs!!!! So, I do what I do and come home and be dedicated to my 1 and ONLEEEEEE!!!!!

Yes.... I am glad I have a DAY JOB! But happy birthday again, hopefully I brought a bit of smile to you! (as all the above was in fun!!!)

Note everytime I type a "L" it is an Old Gothic English L typeface which is pretty sexy... maybe part of the anticipation on the taste buds..... slurp.....
Regarding the Leffe though, yummm.....
- A Belgium Alle, Abbey Ale, "Abbay de Abbey of Leffe" L-Blonde * L-Blond
- As it says on the label....
"Savor the Mystery of the Ages. Award-winning Leffe Blonde is a full-bodied deep golden, ale that is surprisingly subtle and delicate. (Gosh I love talking like that!!! :D) Belgium's classic abbey ale is best served in its own chalice-shaped glass, (YES, I CONCUR, AS I PRESENTED TO MY LIPS .... DEEE-LICIOUS!!!), accentuating the ale's aroma and creating the perfect head! OMG....

ALC = 6.6% by vol in a 11.2 FL OZ bottle

VERY GOOOD BEER!!!!!! I bet it tastes great with some AB MEAT (OF WHICH BTW, I have NEVER BEEN TO OR HAD)...... hint :D
1. I like the Leffe ales
2. Sounds like we need a group outing/therapy at the AB sometime... ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 18th, 2009, 10:36 pm

bluebear wrote:So.thanks to a generous friend and understanding wife, I am officially set to attend American Craft BeerFest on Saturday...

Here is the brewery/beer list..I'm most excited to check out Foothills, Duck Rabbit, Deschutes, and Surly since I can't find any of those locally. Any other recommendations for beers/breweries that I can't skip...

http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/beer
1. I'd even visit some of the familiar breweries and sample some of their non-commercial offerings.
2. The Duck-Rabbitor sounds fascinating-they don't bottle that one.
3. Have the Mirror, Mirror by Deschutes. They have a fine brewery but I have never had any of their specialty/reserve ales.

Have a great time and take notes as they will all run together after about the 5th or 6th brew. :D :roll: :lol:
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » June 18th, 2009, 11:35 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:So.thanks to a generous friend and understanding wife, I am officially set to attend American Craft BeerFest on Saturday...

Here is the brewery/beer list..I'm most excited to check out Foothills, Duck Rabbit, Deschutes, and Surly since I can't find any of those locally. Any other recommendations for beers/breweries that I can't skip...

http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/beer
1. I'd even visit some of the familiar breweries and sample some of their non-commercial offerings.
2. The Duck-Rabbitor sounds fascinating-they don't bottle that one.
3. Have the Mirror, Mirror by Deschutes. They have a fine brewery but I have never had any of their specialty/reserve ales.

Have a great time and take notes as they will all run together after about the 5th or 6th brew. :D :roll: :lol:
Should be a great event. The Mirror, Mirror is very good. I have a bottle stored away for a future special occasion.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
ohioguy2
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by ohioguy2 » June 19th, 2009, 7:46 pm

I tried the Sammy Blackberry tonight while grilling chicken. I enjoyed it much more than the Cherry Wheat. The Blackberry had just a hint of fruit--a quality I find admirable in a fruit beer. It is 80 degrees and humid here now--I may have another. :)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Some overdue reviews-2 posts, of course: :D

Stone Ruination IPA-a bomber-a good evening. Lots of hops with an IBU of 100+. I thought this was mainly spruce and pine with a hint of grapefruit. Don't think it makes it to IIPA levels as it has some malt for balance but is not boozey like an IIPA as the ABV was a "mere" 7.7%. Dark amber pour. Nice combo with spicy grilled fare like ribs or BBQ chicken. This was a new one for me.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2009, 11:09 pm

ohioguy2 wrote:I tried the Sammy Blackberry tonight while grilling chicken. I enjoyed it much more than the Cherry Wheat. The Blackberry had just a hint of fruit--a quality I find admirable in a fruit beer. It is 80 degrees and humid here now--I may have another. :)
I agree that it is a good summer brew.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 19th, 2009, 11:15 pm

The Reverend and a nice steak (which was considerably larger than I thought it would be). 'Nuf said.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2009, 11:16 pm

Stone Double Bastard. Another new one for me. This was my birthday beer on Wednesday and Thursday. At 10.5% ABV, a bomber was just too much for one evening. I guess this is best described as a traditional strong ale. These folks already make a barleywine so I don't think they duplicated it here. Keeping in the Stone tradition, this has a ton of hops in the nose and on the palate with lots of piney and sprucey tastes and no citrus. Dark caramel and toffee malts in a medium to dark brown pour. I'd guess the IBU's here are 90+. This would make a nice ale with a really spicy rub on pork, ribs or chicken off the grill or a night cap but not as a dessert beer. The second night wasn't much different than the first serving. It might be interesting to cellar one of these for a year and taste again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2009, 11:18 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:The Reverend and a nice steak (which was considerably larger than I thought it would be). 'Nuf said.
Where's your Caesar salad or roasted veggies? :roll:
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 19th, 2009, 11:19 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:The Reverend and a nice steak (which was considerably larger than I thought it would be). 'Nuf said.
I spent all my $$$ on the steak :D

Actually, I'm an Ohio-boy and the only thing we need with beef in the summer is corn.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2009, 11:28 pm

devildeac wrote:
Fair enough. ;)
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 19th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Descuttes Red Chair IPA: Split a bomber of this last night with my neighbor while watching the replay of the Rockies win over the Rays (winners of 13 of 14...going for 14 of 15 as I type). This is a really fun, drinkable IPA. It doesn't try and destroy your taste buds, like a lot of American IPAs. Instead, the hops--which are right up-front--come through as fresh orange and grapefruit juice. The result is a refreshing, highly drinkable beer. At 6.4%, it's borderline sessionable (maybe on a Friday), and I'd highly recommend it.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 19th, 2009, 11:31 pm

devildeac wrote: Fair enough. ;)
And I jazzed up the corn by smothering it with sage butter before putting in the grill. It was delicious. Although, while the meat and the beer were a great pairing, the sage didn't go as well with the beer as I would have hoped. A brown sugar butter would've done better.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 19th, 2009, 11:40 pm

CB%B's 8 or 9 month old Dunkelweiss-this held up well from his fall brewing. I had my doubts but it was dark brown, smooth and malty with caramel and milk chocolate tastes. IBU around 30-40 with an estimated ABV of about 5%. Part I of tonight's session. This had been cellared for Lavabe but we never made the exchange so it's mine to win or lose on and I'm glad I kept it and he's in Madagascar. ;) He's just going to have to drive down for a fall Brunchgate or two to make some beer trades.

Part II will be a 8-9 month old Belgian Red. Getting ready to pour now. Report tomorrow. :D
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 20th, 2009, 8:11 am

How do you get the handle on that chunk o meat? Glue? Nails? Screws? :))
Looks beautiful. A contented cow, for sure.

3:-O 3:-O 3:-O 3:-O 3:-O 3:-O 3:-O 3:-O
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 20th, 2009, 8:37 am

devildeac wrote: ...
2. Sounds like we need a group outing/therapy at the AB sometime... ;)
I love that idea! 7/11 is a special day so I am leaving that open, but 7/25 I might down your way for the weekend, but the outing maybe scarce of the ladies, as I they are having their own get together. Maybe in Aug, if not before, for the CTN outing if it is Aug 8th at the ballpark! Otherwise, we'll figure it out! :-bd