Fuqua dean steps down

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Fuqua dean steps down

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 26th, 2011, 11:18 am

I read this on herald sun online this morning.

What are your thoughts?

http://heraldsun.com/view/full_story/14 ... secondleft

Fuqua dean steps down
The Herald Sun
11 hrs ago | 1028 views | 0 | 6 | | By Neil Offen

noffen@heraldsun.com; 419-6646

DURHAM -- The dean of Duke University's business school is stepping down, saying he is "not the person to consolidate the change" that he helped spur at the school.

Blair Sheppard will leave his post at the Fuqua School of Business at the end of July. His decision to decline reappointment to a second term at the helm of the school comes less than two months after faculty members at Fuqua rejected the initial design of two graduate courses of study that would be the initial programs at Duke's new campus in Kunshan, China.
Please follow the link provided above to read the rest of the article! Don't want to run afoul of copyright laws! Please don't copy entire articles; excerpts are fine!
Love, A Mod
Copyright 2011 The Herald-Sun. All rights reserved.

Read more: The Herald-Sun - Fuqua dean steps down
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Fuqua dean steps down

Post by Lavabe » July 26th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Borrowing from another thread, looks like somebody was facing a Kobayashi Maru. ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 26th, 2011, 1:15 pm

Add that to Mike (aka Boswell) being shown the door a few weeks ago in what was clearly not voluntary and I would say something is afoot.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 26th, 2011, 2:24 pm

windsor wrote:Add that to Mike (aka Boswell) being shown the door a few weeks ago in what was clearly not voluntary and I would say something is afoot.
I did not know that.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 26th, 2011, 2:45 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
windsor wrote:Add that to Mike (aka Boswell) being shown the door a few weeks ago in what was clearly not voluntary and I would say something is afoot.
I did not know that.
He did not, on his facebook, flat out say that but he did everything possbile to imply it.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 27th, 2011, 12:03 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
I did not know that.

Did Mike (aka Boswell) work in Fuqua or the Globel Department?

Lots of money invested in Duke China campus. And Dubai gave land also, for a campus there.

Not only is China the powerhouse country, but they come to the States, get their education here, do internships, and work a few years and go back to China, and empower their country with knowledge and experience. Engineers are in high demand in US.

And now the advancement (2012 projected opening) of the Duke campus in China. There were many reservations with the FAculty members when the talk of expansion was on the table.

Will the expansion in other countries, deplete and or downsize the amount of money to invest in the Durham campus. That seems to be a major topic of discussion and concern. To expand, abroad in times of recession, and war, will bring about alot of talks, meetings with any corparation or business.

Just a question? Does Harvard, Yale, Brown, Princeton, Stanford, etc have campuses abroad? Are they expanding and building in our countries now? Do they expect their Staff/faculty to teach or work in other countries?

Any thoughts from all of us guys in the KNOW?
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » July 27th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Mike was the Associate Dean of the daytime MBA program last I knew.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 28th, 2011, 12:54 am

PRI's Marketplace had an article a couple months ago on US colleges with campuses in the Middle East, and it sounded like many of them were not finding the ventures successful:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/disp ... dle-east-/

Wonder if Fuqua experienced something similar?
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 28th, 2011, 8:27 am

windsor wrote:Mike was the Associate Dean of the daytime MBA program last I knew.

Its unfortunate to lose a job. I was under the assumption the Daytime program at Fuqua was doing well.

Read the article above, and saw where other universities have closed abroad.