Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » June 1st, 2011, 9:07 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:One week without a post here?

BAD news: O'Fallon is not available at Liquor Barn. I talked with the beer manager, and they are waiting a little bit on O'Fallon, as they have had some financial issues, but have been recently taken over. The manager hopes that O'Fallon will have some brews this summer.

Good news: After the manager and I talked about my brother-in-law, he wanted to know if anyone can get a hold of Mother Earth's Silent Night or Sisters of the Moon. Anyone ever hear of these?
City Beverage in Winston-Salem is tapping a cask of Sisters of the Moon on Friday at 4:00.

Too bad I'll be in Raleigh....

http://citybeverage.com/

And THAT'S my quarterly post for this thread.
You need to go wild on us like Cathy did yesterday and post twice in a day on this thread :D.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 1st, 2011, 10:49 pm

devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:One week without a post here?

BAD news: O'Fallon is not available at Liquor Barn. I talked with the beer manager, and they are waiting a little bit on O'Fallon, as they have had some financial issues, but have been recently taken over. The manager hopes that O'Fallon will have some brews this summer.

Good news: After the manager and I talked about my brother-in-law, he wanted to know if anyone can get a hold of Mother Earth's Silent Night or Sisters of the Moon. Anyone ever hear of these?
City Beverage in Winston-Salem is tapping a cask of Sisters of the Moon on Friday at 4:00.

Too bad I'll be in Raleigh....

http://citybeverage.com/

And THAT'S my quarterly post for this thread.
You need to go wild on us like Cathy did yesterday and post twice in a day on this thread :D.
That me, the PW queen, posting away in the "Ymm, Beer!" thread!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 1st, 2011, 11:04 pm

Born to be wild, that's me!

Since this comment isn't exactly on point with the thread, I am glad I am not OY. I would be in Siberia and alone since Ozzie has returned from exile.
Iron Duke #1471997.
dpslaw
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by dpslaw » June 2nd, 2011, 10:05 pm

I just got sixes of Anchor Summer and Anchor Bock that I would like to save for the Richmond brunchgate. Anyone have storage suggestions? I'm generally not one to keep beer for very long.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 2nd, 2011, 11:06 pm

Weizenbock-The Best of Beer Camp #37- 2011-Sierra Nevada

Intriguing concept from SN that they have carried out for several years with this being the 1st time I have seen any of these in NC. Packaged as a 12 pack box and comprised of 4 different brews for about $18 or $19. A fine way to sample the brews without buying entire 6ers of each and also not having to pay singles prices.

This is a typical wheat bock as it pours a cloudy orange-brown with pungent aromas of banana, clove and orange peel and tastes to match. It is a lager so the IBU are low, guessing 20-30 and the ABV is pretty standard for a bock at 6.8%. It is just light enough to be enjoyed in the spring or summer yet with enough flavor and body to make a nice fall brew or pair with mild BBQ chicken, ribs or pork. This appears to be a nice assortment for trading/sharing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 2nd, 2011, 11:09 pm

dpslaw wrote:I just got sixes of Anchor Summer and Anchor Bock that I would like to save for the Richmond brunchgate. Anyone have storage suggestions? I'm generally not one to keep beer for very long.
Beers' worst enemies are heat and light so I'd suggest hiding in your closet or in a cellar. Another alternative is to drink 3 of each, put the other 3 of each flavor in a 6er carrier in the back of your 'fridge and keep it cool until September. Your friendly PSA of the day :D .
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 2nd, 2011, 11:23 pm

dpslaw wrote:I just got sixes of Anchor Summer and Anchor Bock that I would like to save for the Richmond brunchgate. Anyone have storage suggestions? I'm generally not one to keep beer for very long.
Don't store them in your bladder =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 2nd, 2011, 11:57 pm

Juniper Black Ave-The Best of Beer Camp #16-2011-Sierra Nevada

This is the 2nd beer I sampled from their 2011 Best of Beer Camp 12 pack. I believe this ends up being kind of a BlackIPA/Imperial Stout as it pours a very dark brown with a light tan head and has moderate piney hop bitterness (guessing an IBU around 50-60), a slightly astringent palate and a very mild chocolate/coffee finish. The ABV is 8% and this would hold its own with rich, spicy BBQ entrees, game or hearty stews. Another brew that makes a great keeper or trader. Not available in convenience marts or grocery stores :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 5th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Kolsch-Schlafly Brewing

I don't have too much to add to the brewer's notes, especially regarding the history of this style, except to describe with pleasure the floral and fruity tastes and aromas of this delightful summer brew, delivered with :-* from Kin-tucky and sipped with :ymhug:and =p~ in Raleigh last PM after the wedding. Thanks to Lavabe for his selection.

ABV: 4.8% | IBU: 25

APPEARANCE: Straw-colored, bright
PROCESS: 62 degree fermentation & long, cold maturation
HOPS: Hallertau Tradition (DE), Perle (DE)
MALTS: 2-row malted barley, wheat malt, Munich malt
YEAST: Köln brewery yeast strain
OG: 11.8
SRM: 5.5
Our Kölsch is a classic golden ale that uses a centuries old yeast strain sourced from a famous Kölsch brewer in Köln, Germany. Fermented warm, then cold conditioned, it has the delicate fruity aroma of an ale with the crisp, clean finish of a lager. It is brewed with lightly roasted malt and 100% German Noble Hops: Perle for bitterness and Hallertau Traditional for flavor and aroma.

In 1918, the term Kölsch was used to describe the ale brewed in Köln, a city on the Rhine River in western Germany. The style began to rise in popularity in the 1960s and now, many American craft brewers brew variations of the style, labeling it a golden ale. Our Kölsch is unique to the Schlafly brewery because Ulrike, a native of Köln and wife of brewery co-founder Tom Schlafly, connected Schlafly Beer with the Gaffel Brewery of Köln. Schlafly Beer won the Gold Medal for Best German-style Kölsch in the World Beer Cup in 2010.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 9th, 2011, 11:44 pm

American IPA-Schlafly Brewing

This is one of their 20th anniversary series graciously carted from The Land of the Lost to NC this weekend. Lavabe even sent his beer mule, ILJ, with the goods :)) . The pour is golden-yellow and the nose and tastes are piney with a hint of citrus. Generous head, malty backbone with an ABV of 7.2% and and IBU of 65, just about what I would have expected from both of the measurements. A solid brew that would be fine with spicy/hot foods or grilled fare.

Here are the brewer's thoughts:

American IPA

Available May-August

ABV: 7.2% | IBU: 65

APPEARANCE: Golden amber, slightly hazy
PROCESS: New World American IPA, dry-hopped
HOPS: Amarillo (US), Simcoe (US), Centennial (US)
MALTS: 2-row and Crystal malted barley
YEAST: American ale
OG: 17
SRM: 21.5
Our American IPA has big, bold hop flavor from American-grown hops and is golden-colored and full-bodied. Made with large quantities of 2 row and Crystal malted barley, this beer is an American, scaled-up version of its cousin style, English IPA. Flavored with the American hops, Amarillo, Centennial and Simcoe, this beer has bitterness with citrus and fruit undertones.

As American consumers developed a taste for highly bitter beers, craft brewers adapted their methods accordingly. American craft brewers adopted the IPA style, making it unique with the use of American hops. We make an annual pilgrimage to the Pacific Northwest to procure the large amount of American hops necessary to make this big hop beer
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 10th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Summertime-Goose Island

Quite a refreshing change. After 3 seasons of dark and hearty ales, late spring and early summer arrive (almost) and beers like this appear. This is light and fruity kolsch that is also floral with a slightly cloudy pour (from the wheat malt) and minimal bitterness. The IBU are 20 and the ABV is 4.8% making this a delight to sip with a light appetizer (think fruit salad) or a lighter fish with some pineapple or mango salsa. ILJ delivered this last weekend after Lavabe made his selections from the Liquor Barn in Lexington. :clap:

Some brewer's notes, too:

The color of sunshine, with a light fruity aroma and a hint of fruity acidity, Goose Island Summertime is the perfect summer session ale. A Kölsch beer brewed in the traditional German fashion, you’ll find yourself enjoying and savoring each sip of summertime as much as you do those hot summer days and cool summer nights.

Recipe Information:
Style: German Style Kölsch
Alcohol by Volume: 4.7%
International Bitterness Units: 20
Color: Sunshine
Hops: Mt. Hood, Saaz
Malt: 2 Row, Wheat

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 10th, 2011, 9:17 pm

devildeac wrote:Summertime-Goose Island

Quite a refreshing change. After 3 seasons of dark and hearty ales, late spring and early summer arrive (almost) and beers like this appear. This is light and fruity kolsch that is also floral with a slightly cloudy pour (from the wheat malt) and minimal bitterness. The IBU are 20 and the ABV is 4.8% making this a delight to sip with a light appetizer (think fruit salad) or a lighter fish with some pineapple or mango salsa. ILJ delivered this last weekend after Lavabe made his selections from the Liquor Barn in Lexington. :clap:

The color of sunshine, with a light fruity aroma and a hint of fruity acidity, Goose Island Summertime is the perfect summer session ale. A Kölsch beer brewed in the traditional German fashion, you’ll find yourself enjoying and savoring each sip of summertime as much as you do those hot summer days and cool summer nights.
This was the surprise brew of the pack that I sent you. The Schlafly Kolsch I've had on tap, so I knew it would be good. Yet the Goose Island was a complete surprise.
Can't wait to see the review of the Great Lakes' selection I made.
:-ss
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 10th, 2011, 11:05 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:Summertime-Goose Island

This was the surprise brew of the pack that I sent you. The Schlafly Kolsch I've had on tap, so I knew it would be good. Yet the Goose Island was a complete surprise.
Here's last year's review. This year's is not much different. Quite the refreshing brew. I really like it.

Holy Moses White Ale-Great Lakes

It was about time for a session and this one started it very pleasantly. Classic style and flavor with a cloudy light yellow pour and lots of light, airy bubbles, also known as Belgian lace with about a 3 finger head sipped from a tall white ale glass. I believe there is a bit of wheat malt along with hints of coriander, orange peel/zest and some chamomille so there is a bit of spice, a bit of citrus and a faint floral aroma and taste. The fresh blueberries and blackberries made a nice dessert tonight before settling down to watch a movie for the evening. I'd guess the IBU to be around 20 and the ABV was 5.4% so this was a very easy one to sip and enjoy. CB&B will see one of these in a future trader. Hope he will be pleased.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 11th, 2011, 10:41 pm

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:This was the surprise brew of the pack that I sent you. The Schlafly Kolsch I've had on tap, so I knew it would be good. Yet the Goose Island was a complete surprise.
Here's last year's review. This year's is not much different. Quite the refreshing brew. I really like it.

Holy Moses White Ale-Great Lakes

It was about time for a session and this one started it very pleasantly. Classic style and flavor with a cloudy light yellow pour and lots of light, airy bubbles, also known as Belgian lace with about a 3 finger head sipped from a tall white ale glass. I believe there is a bit of wheat malt along with hints of coriander, orange peel/zest and some chamomille so there is a bit of spice, a bit of citrus and a faint floral aroma and taste. The fresh blueberries and blackberries made a nice dessert tonight before settling down to watch a movie for the evening. I'd guess the IBU to be around 20 and the ABV was 5.4% so this was a very easy one to sip and enjoy. CB&B will see one of these in a future trader. Hope he will be pleased.
Glad you could get an extra post out of it! :ymblushing: ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 15th, 2011, 9:52 pm

California Common-Best of Beer Camp #8-Sierra Nevada

This is one of four varieties in a 12 pack from SN called Best of Beer Camp. The pour is a golden amber with light caramel flavors, a touch of citrus and floral hops, very mild bitterness with a modest head. Did not realize it was a steam beer until I snooped around some other reviews as SN does not have it profiled on their web site. I'd guess the IBU to be low, probably in the 20 range and the ABV is 6.6% which is a bit high for the style and makes it highly quaffable and sessionable, which I did last week with a Double IPA from the same litter. I'd pair the Common with any lighter chicken or fish dishes or appetizers. It would be a good way to start a Brunchgate but I don't think there will any around by that time :D . The 12 pack was $18 or 19 and well worth it for the variety of beers that were included.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 15th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Double IPA-Best of Beer Camp #29-Sierra Nevada

This was the final brew I tasted of the 4 contained in the 12 pack Best of Beer Camp and was nicely representative of the style. Lots of piney hops and a bit of citrus with a solid malty/caramel backbone. Poured a medium yellow-gold with the nose to match the flavors. Not a hop bomb but still high on the IBU scale, guessing about 80 and the ABV is 8.5% so my session ended with this brew. This will not be over-powered by spicy fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Hop Rod Rye-Bear Republic

Unique brew. A high gravity IPA with enough IBU (80) and ABV (8%) that almost qualify it for IIPA status. Dark amber and slightly cloudy with a moderate amount of foam, this lip-smacker is a fine warm weather brew that will stand up well to spicy, peppery or tangy grilled fare. The hops are more piney and resinous and the rye adds earthy and musty notes that are sweetened and balanced every so slightly with a toffee/caramel backbone. This was a bomber from CB&B that we traded last weekend and a well chosen brew. I saw it at Whole Foods tonight for under $5 so a wise and frugal selection. :clap:

DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » June 17th, 2011, 1:07 am

devildeac wrote:Hop Rod Rye-Bear Republic

Unique brew. A high gravity IPA with enough IBU (80) and ABV (8%) that almost qualify it for IIPA status. Dark amber and slightly cloudy with a moderate amount of foam, this lip-smacker is a fine warm weather brew that will stand up well to spicy, peppery or tangy grilled fare. The hops are more piney and resinous and the rye adds earthy and musty notes that are sweetened and balanced every so slightly with a toffee/caramel backbone. This was a bomber from CB&B that we traded last weekend and a well chosen brew. I saw it at Whole Foods tonight for under $5 so a wise and frugal selection. :clap:

Turns out my old HS boyfriend is their quality assurance lab manager.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 17th, 2011, 1:45 am

DevilAlumna wrote:

He done good. I agree with all of what DD said. Most surprising was the price. He and I have discussed the fact that there are a few quality bombers for dirt cheap..but you have to wonder with new ones if dirt cheap equals dirt. The hot rod was impressive and fun, I'll reload on a few when I get a chance.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 17th, 2011, 6:18 am

DevilAlumna wrote:

I'm gonna guess that free samples/tastings are out of the question then... 8-|