Exercise!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Exercise!

Post by lawgrad91 » March 26th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm still going to Center for Living, doing pool aerobics and exercises for my back 3 times a week. :9f:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: How is that going?
:9f: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 27th, 2011, 10:22 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I'm still going to Center for Living, doing pool aerobics and exercises for my back 3 times a week. :9f:
It's going well. The muscles around my hip are getting stronger. I am doing my normal things without pain. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :) I'm not far from walking a mile in the pool. The aerobics in the pool is great.

:9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 27th, 2011, 10:47 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
It's going well. The muscles around my hip are getting stronger. I am doing my normal things without pain. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :) I'm not far from walking a mile in the pool. The aerobics in the pool is great.

Wonderful! Keep up the good work, and keep getting stronger! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:

We rode the bikes a few miles today in the freezing cold, bundled up like Nanook of the North.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 17th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Time to resuscitate this nascent thread.

On Saturday at the Greek Fest, I saw a guy with a Greek Fest 5K shirt. One of the things on my bucket list is run a 5K. I have never been a runner, but for some reason, I have a desire to run a 5K. I haven't looked for a 5K to run in 9 weeks, but I'm sure there will be one somewhere nearby.

So today I bought the app "Couch to 5K," which is supposed to allow a person to run a 5K in 9 weeks, and I did the first workout tonight, on the Arc Trainer (the one with the moving arms) at the gym.

I hope I can get out of bed tomorrow.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 17th, 2011, 9:55 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Time to resuscitate this nascent thread.

On Saturday at the Greek Fest, I saw a guy with a Greek Fest 5K shirt. One of the things on my bucket list is run a 5K. I have never been a runner, but for some reason, I have a desire to run a 5K. I haven't looked for a 5K to run in 9 weeks, but I'm sure there will be one somewhere nearby.

So today I bought the app "Couch to 5K," which is supposed to allow a person to run a 5K in 9 weeks, and I did the first workout tonight, on the Arc Trainer (the one with the moving arms) at the gym.

There's a clothing optional 5K run and 5K walk in Ocean Isle Beach on August 27. At least they don't have a "fun run." :twitch:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » May 17th, 2011, 10:10 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Time to resuscitate this nascent thread.

There's a clothing optional 5K run and 5K walk in Ocean Isle Beach on August 27. At least they don't have a "fun run." :twitch:
Good luck. I bet you can do it!! :happy-bouncyblue:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 17th, 2011, 10:13 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:There's a clothing optional 5K run and 5K walk in Ocean Isle Beach on August 27. At least they don't have a "fun run." :twitch:
I totally want to do this.
There's a clothing-optional bar in Key West that we went to every night when I went there in '06. I had a nude nightcap each time.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 17th, 2011, 10:23 pm

AFAIK, my law school classmate Erich Schuttauf is still the Executive Director of the American Association for Nude Recreation. I wonder if he and his family (wife and kids) will run. He wasn't a runner in law school; he was built like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. Every once in a while he's on TV, talking about the benefits of clothing-optional recreation.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything clothing-optional, unless it involved a group of profoundly blind people and I was paid enough money to retire.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 17th, 2011, 11:40 pm

I mapped out a 5.5 mile loop around my neighborhood on my bike the other night. I'm planning on riding it often. My legs hurt the other night, that was pretty sad for only 5 miles.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 17th, 2011, 11:45 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:AFAIK, my law school classmate Erich Schuttauf is still the Executive Director of the American Association for Nude Recreation. I wonder if he and his family (wife and kids) will run. He wasn't a runner in law school; he was built like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters. Every once in a while he's on TV, talking about the benefits of clothing-optional recreation.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything clothing-optional, unless it involved a group of profoundly blind people and I was paid enough money to retire.
I can think of a few clothing-optional activities that I would enjoy. ;)

Of course, I wouldn't do any of them in front of a group of profoundly blind or profoundly sighted people. Some things are just better done in private.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 20th, 2011, 10:22 am

Last night I slogged through Day 2, Week 1 of Couch to 5K. Still closer to couch than 5K, but at least it's a start.
Iron Duke #1471997.
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » May 21st, 2011, 8:42 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Last night I slogged through Day 2, Week 1 of Couch to 5K. Still closer to couch than 5K, but at least it's a start.
Are you doing the version w/ music or just instructions? I did the program in late 09 and was able to download podcasts w/ music and instructions interspresed. The music wasn't awesome, but it wasn't offensive either.

I'm going to start the program up hopefully next week assuming the OB clears me at my 6 wk post partum visit.

Good luck! The big hump is around wk 6, but it's a really doable program.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 21st, 2011, 10:25 am

bluebutton wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Last night I slogged through Day 2, Week 1 of Couch to 5K. Still closer to couch than 5K, but at least it's a start.
Are you doing the version w/ music or just instructions? I did the program in late 09 and was able to download podcasts w/ music and instructions interspresed. The music wasn't awesome, but it wasn't offensive either.

I'm going to start the program up hopefully next week assuming the OB clears me at my 6 wk post partum visit.

Good luck! The big hump is around wk 6, but it's a really doable program.
This one has music and instructions, but if you start the music on your iTouch first, it lets you use your own music. So far that's what I've done.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 23rd, 2011, 9:42 pm

Day 3 of Couch to 5K. Pant-pant-pant-pant.

I should've done Day 3 over the weekend but chose to walk all over Blowing Rock on Saturday and mow the front yard yesterday.
Iron Duke #1471997.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » May 24th, 2011, 6:21 am

Did week 1 day 1 of couch to 5K yesterday!!! Felt great to get out of the house on my own and move. Felt a little creaky, but not bad. I have 25 lbs to go to get to my pre-pregnancy weight.

i have family in town the next week, so hopefully I can get 30 min somewhere where someone can watch the kids (a 2 y.o. and a 5 wk old). But after that, we'll have to get creative.

In theory, I could get a double jogging stroller and take the kids with me, but it's HOT here during the day. Plus, I like having a few minutes to myself. Mornings aren't great because there's a lot of general hubbub getting kids up, fed, and Mr. BB out the door. Dinner-time is the same in reverse. i'm thinking maybe after dinner and dishes. I don't love running in the dark, but for most of summer that shouldn't be a problem. Might also make Saturday one of the running days so I get one day of the week when Mr. BB can help watch the kids during the day.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 24th, 2011, 8:28 am

bluebutton wrote:Did week 1 day 1 of couch to 5K yesterday!!! Felt great to get out of the house on my own and move. Felt a little creaky, but not bad. I have 25 lbs to go to get to my pre-pregnancy weight.

i have family in town the next week, so hopefully I can get 30 min somewhere where someone can watch the kids (a 2 y.o. and a 5 wk old). But after that, we'll have to get creative.

In theory, I could get a double jogging stroller and take the kids with me, but it's HOT here during the day. Plus, I like having a few minutes to myself. Mornings aren't great because there's a lot of general hubbub getting kids up, fed, and Mr. BB out the door. Dinner-time is the same in reverse. i'm thinking maybe after dinner and dishes. I don't love running in the dark, but for most of summer that shouldn't be a problem. Might also make Saturday one of the running days so I get one day of the week when Mr. BB can help watch the kids during the day.
Way to go, Bluebutton! It's a pity we don't live closer together and we could run a 5K together. Maybe virtually we could.... :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 24th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Back to the gym tonight for 30 minute express workout.

The Rev. Lawgrad is truly a :-B . I didn't realize why he has been putting off trips to the gym so that we get there after 8 until tonight. He wants to watch Bill O'Reilly while he's on the treadmill.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 25th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Week 2, Day 1 of Couch to 5K. Two minutes of walking interspersed with ninety seconds of death, uh, jogging.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 27th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Two miles of the four mile Biggest Loser Walking DVD. I found out that eight pound dumbbells don't work for old people doing aerobic activity.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 28th, 2011, 11:33 am

I mowed my lawn for an hour this morning.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.