Duke's Graduation Weekend

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Duke's Graduation Weekend

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Our "baby" graduates this weekend from Duke. Some of y'all my know her as :happy-cheerleaderkid: , aka CLD. We know her as Claire :x . She woke up this AM with a temperature of 104, yet, with Advil and several doses of amoxicillin for her strep throat (not throatybeard :)) ), she managed to attend a bridesmaids luncheon (not the movie) for a wedding she is in tomorrow (not hers-yet :)) ), her baccalaureate service and a rehearsal dinner tonight and not be exhausted.

Also, dukediv2011/12/13 graduates from the Divinity School this weekend with his Masters of Theological Studies, IIRC. He is FSIL (future son-in-law). In addition, our son's girlfriend also finishes her Masters from the Div School :ymapplause: .

Needless to say, I am raising my glass again. :beer:

Plus, Joy's birthday is tomorrow and her sisters will be in town to take her out to lunch. Shoot, saves me a few $ as I have TWO wedding to finance this year (SSS). :(( =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke's Graduation Weekend

Post by lawgrad91 » May 13th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Congratulations to all the DevilDeacs! Woo hoo to CLD :happy-cheerleaderkid: and DukeDiv20?? and to GF of Son. :duke: :duke: :duke:

Happy Birthday to Mrs. DD! :ymparty: :occasion-birthday: :occasion-birthdaymulticolor: :occasion-cake: :occasion-candle:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2011, 11:59 pm

Congratulations all around! You must be a proud papa this weekend (and every weekend, for that matter!).

Where are your pictures?

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 14th, 2011, 7:26 am

Congratulations!! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:

Wish I could be there. Things got a little complicated here with schedules, so ILJ is there representing the Lexington branch of the family.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2011, 7:35 am

CathyCA wrote:Congratulations all around! You must be a proud papa this weekend (and every weekend, for that matter!).

Where are your pictures?

Thanks. Yes, I are proud. There are so many emotion "programs" running through my mind now: happiness, elation, relief, pride, contentment and thankfulness are among the leaders. There will be quite a few tears also before the next 3 weeks are completed, too.

Hopefully, pictures will be on Joy's FB page.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 14th, 2011, 8:09 am

devildeac wrote:Our "baby" graduates this weekend from Duke. Some of y'all my know her as :happy-cheerleaderkid: , aka CLD. We know her as Claire :x . She woke up this AM with a temperature of 104, yet, with Advil and several doses of amoxicillin for her strep throat (not throatybeard :)) ), she managed to attend a bridesmaids luncheon (not the movie) for a wedding she is in tomorrow (not hers-yet :)) ), her baccalaureate service and a rehearsal dinner tonight and not be exhausted.

Also, dukediv2011/12/13 graduates from the Divinity School this weekend with his Masters of Theological Studies, IIRC. He is FSIL (future son-in-law). In addition, our son's girlfriend also finishes her Masters from the Div School :ymapplause: .

Needless to say, I am raising my glass again. :beer:

Plus, Joy's birthday is tomorrow and her sisters will be in town to take her out to lunch. Shoot, saves me a few $ as I have TWO wedding to finance this year (SSS). :(( =))
Congratulations to the graduates! :ymparty: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :duke:

As I remember, I too was sick for our graduation weekend in 1976. I remember sitting in Wally Wade under the influence of some 'cillin and aspirin with a fever of10x, feeling miserable, but no way was I going to miss it B-) Made it through without passing out, then I had to spend a week at Beth's house in Smithfield recovering before I could drive home to Ft. Lauderdale. Oh, darn :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 14th, 2011, 8:12 am

Congrats to the devildeac family! Sounds like you have a big weekend. Enjoy every minute of it! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 14th, 2011, 8:33 am

Congrats! Hope the weather clears for Duke Graduation!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 14th, 2011, 9:14 am

If ANYbody has the energy to handle all that is happening, it's YOU! Seems that all your stars are aligned and you are set for the time of your life! Try not to think about the money for now! (EZ 4 Me 2 SAY). What a happy, happy time for everybody. Take lots of pics and movies to pour through in your old age.

Love to all,Ima

PS The OP wants to know what you are planning for your spare time. #:-s
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2011, 9:34 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:If ANYbody has the energy to handle all that is happening, it's YOU! Seems that all your stars are aligned and you are set for the time of your life! Try not to think about the money for now! (EZ 4 Me 2 SAY). What a happy, happy time for everybody. Take lots of pics and movies to pour through in your old age.

Love to all,Ima

PS The OP wants to know what you are planning for your spare time. #:-s

Thanks! And, to the OP:

1. \:d/ :banana-angel: :banana-blonde: :banana-dance: :banana-dreads: :banana-ninja: :banana-rainbow: :banana-tux:
2. Working extra hours to pay for it all.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 14th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Congrats from here to all upcoming grad-u-8s! Also, for all upcoming brides and grooms. ^:)^
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » May 14th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Sounds like quite a weekend of happy celebrations, congrats to all the DD family, immediate & extended! :happy-bouncyblue:
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » May 14th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Yee ha!! Congratulations all around! Thanks for sharing the ride with us, DD :D
fordgrl00
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by fordgrl00 » May 14th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Congrats to the DD family! You have lots of celebrating to do!!

:happy-bouncyblue: :-BD :happy-bouncyblue: :-BD
~Shelly
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 15th, 2011, 1:45 am

Congrats to the whole devildeac clan for all of your impending auspicious occasions. I hope Claire gets better in time for her ceremonies. I too was sick on graduation day, with an, ahem, undiagnosed condition. :beer:
Used to be that Duke graduation was always on Mother's Day...when did they change this?
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » May 15th, 2011, 7:40 am

Congratulations to the whole DD gang! I hope Claire felt ok for the weekend. And don't forget that if there's anything you need on her wedding day, I'm 5 houses away from Hayes Barton Baptist Church - all you have to do is holler.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 15th, 2011, 7:43 am

wilson wrote:Congrats to the whole devildeac clan for all of your impending auspicious occasions. I hope Claire gets better in time for her ceremonies. I too was sick on graduation day, with an, ahem, undiagnosed condition. :beer:
Used to be that Duke graduation was always on Mother's Day...when did they change this?
Duke's graduation was not always on Mother's Day. My diploma is dated May 6, 1984. That was definitely not the second Sunday in May.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 15th, 2011, 7:46 am

For planning purposes, here are the dates for the next few Duke spring commencement ceremonies:

2016 Sunday, May 15*
2015 Sunday, May 10*
2014 Sunday, May 11*
2013 Sunday, May 12*
2012 Sunday, May 13

*tentative

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » May 15th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Congrats to the graduates! The big deal should be happening about now as I type. I will say the cool thing about being an engineer was that our final school level ceremony was in the Chapel.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 15th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Congratulations to all the graduates!