an interesting dilemma...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by CathyCA » May 7th, 2011, 11:14 am

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:You know what would be really fun, but would cause a huge firestorm of trouble? "Upon the advice of legal counsel, I respectfully request that my name be removed from this manuscript." :ymdevil:
I think you really should do this. It's not a lie, as Cathy and lawgrad have been legitimately counseling you here. It is a perfectly reasonable expression of your misgivings regarding the whole shitstorm. And lastly, it would scare them into realizing that they're effing with the wrong person, and that at the very least, they should make it their business to make your transition to a better job elsewhere as smooth and hassle-free as possible.
Yeah, but remember, you get what you pay for, and AD hasn't been paying for our advice.

While I'm in the cliche mode, I'll remind you that I'm not licensed anywhere outside of NC. I'm merely giving my opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. . .

;)

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 7th, 2011, 11:52 am

I just had a long conversation with a friend and professional colleague. She says I have to suck it up and be a coauthor on the paper. To do otherwise will piss my boss off further and cause him to blackball me even worse than he likely already will. Her advice is to find a way to make peace with him and then get the hell out of Dodge as quickly as I can. She also says that there's no way I can get out of working with Pushy PI and The Minion for the same reason. It's a matter of choosing your battles. So, somehow, I have to find a way to apologize to my boss and make peace with him in a way that won't make me :ymsick: .
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 7th, 2011, 1:53 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I just had a long conversation with a friend and professional colleague. She says I have to suck it up and be a coauthor on the paper. To do otherwise will piss my boss off further and cause him to blackball me even worse than he likely already will. Her advice is to find a way to make peace with him and then get the hell out of Dodge as quickly as I can. She also says that there's no way I can get out of working with Pushy PI and The Minion for the same reason. It's a matter of choosing your battles. So, somehow, I have to find a way to apologize to my boss and make peace with him in a way that won't make me :ymsick: .
Well you know your colleague and we don't, but how much worse can the assholes make your life or your job seeking than they already are? And if you can prove your points of their lack of data integrity "relatively easily" in rebuttal if you're asked about it in an interview, fuck 'em.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 7th, 2011, 11:33 pm

CathyCA wrote:
wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:You know what would be really fun, but would cause a huge firestorm of trouble? "Upon the advice of legal counsel, I respectfully request that my name be removed from this manuscript." :ymdevil:
I think you really should do this. It's not a lie, as Cathy and lawgrad have been legitimately counseling you here. It is a perfectly reasonable expression of your misgivings regarding the whole shitstorm. And lastly, it would scare them into realizing that they're effing with the wrong person, and that at the very least, they should make it their business to make your transition to a better job elsewhere as smooth and hassle-free as possible.
Yeah, but remember, you get what you pay for, and AD hasn't been paying for our advice.

While I'm in the cliche mode, I'll remind you that I'm not licensed anywhere outside of NC. I'm merely giving my opinions, and you know what they say about opinions. . .

;)

I read the most recent draft of the manuscript that I've been given, and I seriously think it might be time for me to consult a lawyer and/or the university's academic integrity panel (or whatever it's called). The Minion's data interpretation is minor compared to other claims made in the manuscript that I know are out-and-out lies. They claim the data were obtained from a single sample prep. In reality, the data were obtained from 4 separate experiments (and 4 separate sample preps). Even better, the experiments were not performed in the sequence that is claimed in the manuscript. In my mind this is an order of magnitude worse than issue I've been fighting over for the last 2 months, and it's a game-changer with regard to the manuscript going out with my name on it. Not gonna happen. This is REALLY bad. People (**cough** Pushy PI **cough**) could lose NIH funding over this type of behavior. It also endangers the funding of the lab I work in.

The draft I have is not the most current; the other coauthors have not been willing to give me the most recent version as yet. I suspect that this version of the manuscript still reads like this draft, and it's the version that my boss edited. :twitch:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 10th, 2011, 7:20 pm

I had a VERY interesting day today, with a most unexpected outcome.

The purpose of the meeting with my boss this morning was getting things squared away for the meeting with Pushy PI and The Minion. I provided my boss with all of my data and went to get a quick bite of lunch. Was sitting in the break room, finishing said lunch, when Pushy PI walked through without The Minion. I went back to the lab and discovered that my boss and Pushy PI were having a closed door meeting (that's a Do Not Disturb sign in my boss's world), and they were going through my data analysis.

Now, here's where things get interesting. An hour or so later, my boss left for the airport; he has an out-of-town meeting for a few days. Pushy PI came in a couple of hours or so later to chat with me about the manuscript and clear the air. We actually had a very reasonable, constructive conversation about the manuscript and made peace. Neither my boss nor Pushy PI would ever openly admit it, because that's not kosher, but I think they FINALLY realized that The Minion was fudging. I also think that, after discussing my analysis for an hour or so, Pushy PI finally understands what I actually did. He has some ideas that are a bit off, but I think we're in a better spot than we were. In terms of the manuscript, at least, I think all's well that ends well. (breathing huge sigh of relief)

The big question I have, though, is this: why the heck did I have this conversation with Pushy PI rather than my boss? Was this Pushy PI's way of admitting I was right without actually admitting I was right, was it just another by-product of my boss's managerial style (or lack thereof), or was it some combination of the two? :Think:

So, two months of torture, and it appears that the manuscript is going to be good. I will potentially have my name on a manuscript in a very prestigious journal and will not be ashamed my name is on said paper. As far as I know, though, I'm still looking for a job. It will be interesting to see if my boss ever apologizes. My $$ is on no.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » May 10th, 2011, 7:48 pm

AD, what a relief! Even if you don't have to leave your job, I personally hope you end up at App St. or Coastal so we can all hang out with you on a regular basis! Way to stand up and not bend over for the assholes!! High fives!! GTHC!! Hmmm, I wonder if Elon is hiring? You could work with Dan Wright again.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 10th, 2011, 7:59 pm

DukePA wrote:AD, what a relief! Even if you don't have to leave your job, I personally hope you end up at App St. or Coastal so we can all hang out with you on a regular basis! Way to stand up and not bend over for the assholes!! High fives!! GTHC!! Hmmm, I wonder if Elon is hiring? You could work with Dan Wright again.
Thanks, DPA! Big time relief. And I forgot to mention that Pushy PI apologized for giving me a hard time. I am not holding my breath regarding an apology from my boss. It will be most interesting to see his reaction when/if I get another job offer. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 10th, 2011, 8:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukePA wrote:AD, what a relief! Even if you don't have to leave your job, I personally hope you end up at App St. or Coastal so we can all hang out with you on a regular basis! Way to stand up and not bend over for the assholes!! High fives!! GTHC!! Hmmm, I wonder if Elon is hiring? You could work with Dan Wright again.
Thanks, DPA! Big time relief. And I forgot to mention that Pushy PI apologized for giving me a hard time. I am not holding my breath regarding an apology from my boss. It will be most interesting to see his reaction when/if I get another job offer. :ymdevil:
Get that offer!
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 10th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Very good to hear...and check the good morning thread while you breathe a sigh of relief. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 10th, 2011, 8:20 pm

AD, this very good news.

I doubt that your boss will ever apologize.

I hope that a job opportunity within driving distance of Brunchgate will present itself to you soon!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » May 10th, 2011, 8:21 pm

I'm hoping in the near future to see you post that you're headed to App State. I can't wait to fill you in on all your wonderful benefits as an employee of the State of North Carolina! I'll even drive up to Boone and take you to the State Employees Credit Union and help you get set up there!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 10th, 2011, 9:26 pm

AD, this is terrific news! Nonetheless, things that go away by themselves (more or less) tend to come back by themselves. If you can find something else away from your current ignorant boss, you should consider it strongly. ( :pray: :pray: :pray: App State :pray: :pray: :pray: )
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 10th, 2011, 9:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I had a VERY interesting day today, with a most unexpected outcome.
DAY-YUM! Good for you! (And did you read my dream meeting sequence you had with your boss in the good morning thread?) But I'll join everyone else in hoping you end up in NC so you're close to us!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 10th, 2011, 9:45 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I had a VERY interesting day today, with a most unexpected outcome.
DAY-YUM! Good for you! (And did you read my dream meeting sequence you had with your boss in the good morning thread?) But I'll join everyone else in hoping you end up in NC so you're close to us!
I did read that, Ozzie, and I got a good laugh out of it. :D
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 10th, 2011, 9:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Very good to hear...and check the good morning thread while you breathe a sigh of relief. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Thanks, CB&B! I did read much of the good morning thread. Vibes: they work! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 10th, 2011, 9:49 pm

CathyCA wrote:AD, this very good news.

I doubt that your boss will ever apologize.

I hope that a job opportunity within driving distance of Brunchgate will present itself to you soon!

Thanks, Cathy! That would be fun indeed. :9f:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 10th, 2011, 9:51 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'm hoping in the near future to see you post that you're headed to App State. I can't wait to fill you in on all your wonderful benefits as an employee of the State of North Carolina! I'll even drive up to Boone and take you to the State Employees Credit Union and help you get set up there!
Thanks, DitBD! All I need to do now is finish filling out the job application. I got some great advice from Lavabe; now I need to put it into action. Will be doing that as soon as I get a good night's sleep; something that hasn't happened in the last several nights. I'm a bit zombielike right now from lack of sleep.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 10th, 2011, 9:55 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'm hoping in the near future to see you post that you're headed to App State. I can't wait to fill you in on all your wonderful benefits as an employee of the State of North Carolina! I'll even drive up to Boone and take you to the State Employees Credit Union and help you get set up there!
Thanks, DitBD! All I need to do now is finish filling out the job application. I got some great advice from Lavabe; now I need to put it into action. Will be doing that as soon as I get a good night's sleep; something that hasn't happened in the last several nights. I'm a bit zombielike right now from lack of sleep.
You are still online! Go to bed! With some sleep behind you, you are less likely to make mistakes on the application. We all love you and want you to come join us in NC...except for Windsor, who wants you to move to Tampa. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 10th, 2011, 10:08 pm

A great big WOOO followed with a great big HOO!!!!! They may never truly know the bullet they dodged even though in their hearts they know the truth! You, my dear, are nothing short of a real live hero.

So proud to know ya.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 11th, 2011, 12:00 am

GREAT to hear this, AD. Glad it has worked out for the better(ish). I think you're still right to be looking elsewhere though. Continued vibes from Atlanta. :wizard: