Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by rockymtn devil » June 14th, 2009, 10:55 pm

devildeac wrote: You guys are putting me to shame. :oops: All I have from recent purchases are Blackberry Wit, Dale's Pale Ale, Red Sky at Night and Old Chub and I still have 1-2 of each of those left...
All you have? That's a pretty nice haul. I had a Blackberry Wit yesterday at the Southern Sun Cafe (they brew their own beer). It was okay, but the blackberry was a minor accent rather than a significant part of the beer. I need to try the SA version.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 15th, 2009, 7:50 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote: You guys are putting me to shame. :oops: All I have from recent purchases are Blackberry Wit, Dale's Pale Ale, Red Sky at Night and Old Chub and I still have 1-2 of each of those left...
All you have? That's a pretty nice haul. I had a Blackberry Wit yesterday at the Southern Sun Cafe (they brew their own beer). It was okay, but the blackberry was a minor accent rather than a significant part of the beer. I need to try the SA version.
I guess I was referring to the fact I haven't had too many new brews to review recently, not that I didn't like the ones I had. Kinda confusing or unclear the way I phrased it.

With the SA Blackberry Wit, I thought the blackberry was a bit more than a minor accent but not fruit salad sweet or overpowering like some fruity beers can be.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 16th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Page 2---and half way down..time for a bump
It's been an IPA stretch for me so I think I'll lump them all together and compare/contrast in order of enjoyment..

Lagunitas Sumpin Sumpin--Big fan of Lagunitas but I was a little disappointed in this. I'm not sure if this should be considered an IPA as it was more a wheat beer with a hoppy kick. The tastes didn't seem to come together very well and I felt as if the hop bitterness ruined what would have been an average wit..

Lagunitas Maximus--One of their double IPAs and a fairly tasty one. This was lighter on the hops than expected with a fair amount of malt..decent overall but not too memorable. Hop Stoopid by them is much much better...

DFH Squall--I was excited to try this..dry hopped, bottle conditioned double IPA.. Not a bad beer though not as good as either 90 minute or Burton Baton. Like the maximus, this was a little light tasting on the hops. It had a big bold almost smoked taste up front but then was little on the watered down side. A decent amount of malt and fairly boozy tasting..worth trying if you see it..

Great Divide Ruination..hands down the best of the bunch. While there is a bit a good balance, this beer is a hop fest with lots of piney/citrus hops. It was appropriately bitter but very smooth and easy drinking. One of my favorite double IPAs..

Tonight, its the Great Divide Wood Aged 15 since I scored another to stash away for awhile..
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 16th, 2009, 7:41 pm

bluebear wrote:
Lagunitas Maximus--One of their double IPAs and a fairly tasty one. This was lighter on the hops than expected with a fair amount of malt..decent overall but not too memorable. Hop Stoopid by them is much much better...

Great Divide Ruination..hands down the best of the bunch. While there is a bit a good balance, this beer is a hop fest with lots of piney/citrus hops. It was appropriately bitter but very smooth and easy drinking. One of my favorite double IPAs..

Tonight, its the Great Divide Wood Aged 15 since I scored another to stash away for awhile..
I like the Maximus as well. Solid IIPA.

You threw me off with the Ruination. I assume you mean Stone?

Looking forward to the GD 15 review.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 16th, 2009, 8:20 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
bluebear wrote:

Yes, Stone not Great Divide..Sorry about that..was thinking a little too much about the GD 15..did you find some?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2009, 11:21 pm

bluebear wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:
bluebear wrote:

Yes, Stone not Great Divide..Sorry about that..was thinking a little too much about the GD 15..did you find some?
I had a bomber of the Ruination last week. Review to follow soon. Really good ale.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 17th, 2009, 5:31 pm

bluebear wrote:
I haven't looked yet. I'm sure I'll be able to find some, but if not I'll stop off at the brewery this weekend and grab a few bombers.

At Avery last weekend I was disappointed to see that they no longer offer 5 free tasters. The good news, though, is that tasters are only a $1 (and you can buy pints if that suits you better) and it's a still good deal.

I tried some Maharaja from the cask, which was much softer and more drinkable than the keg variety. I also had Van Diemen, which is a Black Saison brewed in conjunction with the people at the Mountain Sun Cafe (a must stop for visitors to Boulder) and is only available at the three Mountain Sun owned bars and the Avery tap room. The beer was spicy and tart, which a heavy sour cherry flavor. It was pretty delicious and well worth the $1 I paid.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 17th, 2009, 8:21 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
bluebear wrote:
I haven't looked yet. I'm sure I'll be able to find some, but if not I'll stop off at the brewery this weekend and grab a few bombers.

At Avery last weekend I was disappointed to see that they no longer offer 5 free tasters. The good news, though, is that tasters are only a $1 (and you can buy pints if that suits you better) and it's a still good deal.

I tried some Maharaja from the cask, which was much softer and more drinkable than the keg variety. I also had Van Diemen, which is a Black Saison brewed in conjunction with the people at the Mountain Sun Cafe (a must stop for visitors to Boulder) and is only available at the three Mountain Sun owned bars and the Avery tap room. The beer was spicy and tart, which a heavy sour cherry flavor. It was pretty delicious and well worth the $1 I paid.
I need to relocate...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 17th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Great Divide 15--Really enjoyed this beer. Pours a deep amber. Its listed as a double IPA but has a huge caramel malt taste up front. The hops come in next and although the bitterness is there, its fairly subtle. The whole thing is wrapped up in a very noticeable oaky blanket. Very easy drinking. The beer has a lot going on but it all comes together in a smooth way. The beer reminds me a bit of DFH Burton Baton though a bit less sweet. I'm glad a picked up a second though I still have part of the first waiting for tonight..
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 17th, 2009, 9:02 pm

DD - To your birthday.... I searched and searched and searched and came up with a Leffe,
I am sure you will understand that I won't drink the entire 6 pack because it MIGHT end up with a HEFFE!!!! :D

In all seriousness.... I went out this evening to find your favorite to toast and honor you on this special day, however, I couldn't locate the ChemyEEEE but found plenty of HEFFEEEEs!!!! So, I do what I do and come home and be dedicated to my 1 and ONLEEEEEE!!!!!

Yes.... I am glad I have a DAY JOB! But happy birthday again, hopefully I brought a bit of smile to you! (as all the above was in fun!!!)

Note everytime I type a "L" it is an Old Gothic English L typeface which is pretty sexy... maybe part of the anticipation on the taste buds..... slurp.....
Regarding the Leffe though, yummm.....
- A Belgium Alle, Abbey Ale, "Abbay de Abbey of Leffe" L-Blonde * L-Blond
- As it says on the label....
"Savor the Mystery of the Ages. Award-winning Leffe Blonde is a full-bodied deep golden, ale that is surprisingly subtle and delicate. (Gosh I love talking like that!!! :D) Belgium's classic abbey ale is best served in its own chalice-shaped glass, (YES, I CONCUR, AS I PRESENTED TO MY LIPS .... DEEE-LICIOUS!!!), accentuating the ale's aroma and creating the perfect head! OMG....

ALC = 6.6% by vol in a 11.2 FL OZ bottle

VERY GOOOD BEER!!!!!! I bet it tastes great with some AB MEAT (OF WHICH BTW, I have NEVER BEEN TO OR HAD)...... hint :D
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 18th, 2009, 7:59 am

So.thanks to a generous friend and understanding wife, I am officially set to attend American Craft BeerFest on Saturday...

Here is the brewery/beer list..I'm most excited to check out Foothills, Duck Rabbit, Deschutes, and Surly since I can't find any of those locally. Any other recommendations for beers/breweries that I can't skip...

http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/beer
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 18th, 2009, 3:26 pm

bluebear wrote:So.thanks to a generous friend and understanding wife, I am officially set to attend American Craft BeerFest on Saturday...
...and I'm off unto the hills for piscatorial delights. :D

Moderation be damned! :ymparty:
Attachments
lakepictures6-3-4-5-2006131.jpg
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 18th, 2009, 3:28 pm

captmojo wrote:
bluebear wrote:So.thanks to a generous friend and understanding wife, I am officially set to attend American Craft BeerFest on Saturday...
...and I'm off unto the hills for piscatorial delights. :D

Moderation be damned! :ymparty:
WOW... that is a beautiful pic!
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 18th, 2009, 3:35 pm

and another...
l_1661c5bde0a8bbb2cc428385465b0770lake.jpg
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 18th, 2009, 3:36 pm

captmojo wrote:and another...
l_1661c5bde0a8bbb2cc428385465b0770lake.jpg
I'm loving these PICs, where is this?
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 18th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Patrick Co. VA
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 18th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Oops!
dreamswithin1.jpg
n1036702034_30011665_53ivy.jpg
Ahh! This one!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 18th, 2009, 3:46 pm

captmojo wrote:Patrick Co. VA
Pretty country down there! not too far from Clifton Forge where as a young man, my dad and I used to hunt whitetail when he was able to treck thru the mountains.... I love south, western VA, especially in the area you are shooting these pics! what was the occasion or is this off your back deck? Talk about peace and tranquility!!!!! OMG....
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » June 18th, 2009, 3:48 pm

captmojo wrote:Oops!
dreamswithin1.jpg
n1036702034_30011665_53ivy.jpg
Ahh! This one!
Loving these shots... especially with cup of coffee in hand or in backpack! Bringing back memories..... I bet CB&B could make a canvas sing with these shots.......
captmojo

Post by captmojo » June 18th, 2009, 3:50 pm

cl15876 wrote:
captmojo wrote:Patrick Co. VA
Pretty country down there! not too far from Clifton Forge where as a young man, my dad and I used to hunt whitetail when he was able to treck thru the mountains.... I love south, western VA, especially in the area you are shooting these pics! what was the occasion or is this off your back deck? Talk about peace and tranquility!!!!! OMG....
I feel closer to what I consider Heaven on Earth there, more than any other place I know of.
I know this is the beer thread, no intent to hijack. Many will be consumed.
Some, over at that other place, doubted my wilderness camping experiences.
Fuck 'em.