Duke Vs. Arizona

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Duke Vs. Arizona

Post by robertduke32 » March 25th, 2011, 9:44 am

We got our butts kicked, but it was because Arizona came out unbelievably on fire....

Don't forget the good times these guys have given us, most recently a UNC ass-whoopin' for the ACC Championship!!

Kyle and Nolan and Casey, we thank you from the bottom of our True Blue hearts!!

Let's GO DUKE!!!

And don't forget we have some ladies to cheer for this weekend!!!

:9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 25th, 2011, 10:49 am

Makes you wonder just a bit why we didn't go to our 1-3-1 zone when we fell behind in the 2nd half. Now where have I seen/heard that before...

Nah. Never mind. :(
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: Duke Vs. Arizona, Post Mortem, the Mortem Post

Post by captmojo » March 25th, 2011, 9:34 pm

What lost the game wasn't that Nolan simply had his worst game. They caused it to be his worst. They found a way to cut off his drives and how to keep him covered on the outside in a fashion that left him no reasonable option other than to pass out to others or take an off-balance, step back 3.

A zone defense from Duke wouldn't make up the difference as hot as they were shooting. A lot better rebounding effort could have made some difference, though. But, when one team is hitting 60%, it doesn't leave many shots that have to be recovered for possession. You don't have a rebound on a made shot.

Arizona played worthy to win this game. And what's more, should they follow up this same pace, they are untouchable by any body else in the field. This leaves only one question. Can they remain consistent with this proficiency? The heads can talk OSU and KU and anyone else they wish, but that style of scoring efficiency and adaptable defensive postures are an unbeatable formula. If and when it's all over and they jump away with the trophy, you can look everyone else in the eye and know that everyone else was taken down also.

Hold your chins up. Tip your hat to the winners. Thank your players for a season of marvelous hope and grand effort. Look forward to the future. Think about what's to come. Next year-next play, could become the best ever. Look at what you'll have here. Others would kill for it.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 26th, 2011, 6:42 am

Good to see OSU go down too. We weren't the first number 1 to go down, and we went as far as the anointed "best team in the land." The only problem is that that guarantees that either Kentucky or Carolina make the Final Four. Go ARIZONA! :D

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 26th, 2011, 6:56 am

I found a transcript here: http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=70183 but I'd love to see the video. Thanks.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Duke Vs. Arizona, Post Mortem, the Mortem Post

Post by DukePA » March 26th, 2011, 3:16 pm

captmojo wrote:What lost the game wasn't that Nolan simply had his worst game. They caused it to be his worst. They found a way to cut off his drives and how to keep him covered on the outside in a fashion that left him no reasonable option other than to pass out to others or take an off-balance, step back 3.

A zone defense from Duke wouldn't make up the difference as hot as they were shooting. A lot better rebounding effort could have made some difference, though. But, when one team is hitting 60%, it doesn't leave many shots that have to be recovered for possession. You don't have a rebound on a made shot.

Arizona played worthy to win this game. And what's more, should they follow up this same pace, they are untouchable by any body else in the field. This leaves only one question. Can they remain consistent with this proficiency? The heads can talk OSU and KU and anyone else they wish, but that style of scoring efficiency and adaptable defensive postures are an unbeatable formula. If and when it's all over and they jump away with the trophy, you can look everyone else in the eye and know that everyone else was taken down also.

Hold your chins up. Tip your hat to the winners. Thank your players for a season of marvelous hope and grand effort. Look forward to the future. Think about what's to come. Next year-next play, could become the best ever. Look at what you'll have here. Others would kill for it.
Hear! Hear! Capt!!!!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 27th, 2011, 5:52 am

OUR BIGS ................... well, did they even show up for the game?

Obviously, not a SHEENISM day (Winning, duh!)......... I have read many blogs, and well, Duke choked again in the Sweet 16.

Coach Brad Stevens, didnt choke, with a lesser talented team. He is so mild mannered and NO POTTY mouth. I had Butler winning over Pitt in my original brackets. Then re did my brackets for the Sweet 16. I had Duke and Butler in a rematch for the 2011 Championship.

With as much talent as Duke has, I just dont get it. REVIEW the stats, look at the game and break it down. DUKE will NOT win without a presense in the paint. NO ZOUBS this year.

I have said all year THE PLUMLEES ARE CONSISTENTLY.... INCONSISTENT. Overrated... in my opinion. MP1 and MP2 and Kelly combined together in the ZONA game....... horrible stats. THey were dominated and abused. THANKS boys..... because of your NON athleticism, Nolan and Kyle and probably Kyrie, played their last game. And didnt make it to the Final 4.

GLAD, I have been pulling for Butler all year.

WHEN COACH K RETIRES (SAID THIS LAST YEAR IN INDY).......... PLEASE OFFER THE DUKE JOB TO COACH BRAD STEVENS!!!!!!!!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 27th, 2011, 5:54 am

DUKE NEEDS A BIG MAN COACH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 27th, 2011, 11:58 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:OUR BIGS ................... well, did they even show up for the game?

Obviously, not a SHEENISM day (Winning, duh!)......... I have read many blogs, and well, Duke choked again in the Sweet 16.

Coach Brad Stevens, didnt choke, with a lesser talented team. He is so mild mannered and NO POTTY mouth. I had Butler winning over Pitt in my original brackets. Then re did my brackets for the Sweet 16. I had Duke and Butler in a rematch for the 2011 Championship.

With as much talent as Duke has, I just dont get it. REVIEW the stats, look at the game and break it down. DUKE will NOT win without a presense in the paint. NO ZOUBS this year.

I have said all year THE PLUMLEES ARE CONSISTENTLY.... INCONSISTENT. Overrated... in my opinion. MP1 and MP2 and Kelly combined together in the ZONA game....... horrible stats. THey were dominated and abused. THANKS boys..... because of your NON athleticism, Nolan and Kyle and probably Kyrie, played their last game. And didnt make it to the Final 4.

WHEN COACH K RETIRES (SAID THIS LAST YEAR IN INDY).......... PLEASE OFFER THE DUKE JOB TO COACH BRAD STEVENS!!!!!!!!
You really need to stop slamming our team, disparaging the Plumlees, and shoving Coach K out the door (and for what it's worth, the chances of Stevens succeeding K are virtually nil). The boys did not "choke"; they simply got beaten by a very good team who happened to be better that night.
Say hello to my ignore list.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 27th, 2011, 1:20 pm

I agree with wilson. It's difficult to defeat a team that shoots 60% from the field, regardless of how many defenders are on them. It's also difficult to get rebounds when all the shots are going in. I remember multiple shots that went in regardless of having a defender right in the jersey of the shooter. Sometimes there were two people defending the shooter. Arizona played a great game and they deserved to win. End of story. :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » March 27th, 2011, 2:56 pm

It felt as if our guys ran out of gas. They appeared frozen and unable to respond or react in the second half. That happens sometimes, even to Duke. If it's during a regular season game, the consequences aren't so great, but during a tournament the results bring a certain finality.

Looking ahead to next couple of years, having sufficient leadership to rise to the top will be a major factor in the team's performance. The talent coming in is admirable, but having leadership is central to success at the level we've become accustomed to. I can't wait to find out how next year develops! :happy-bouncyblue:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 29th, 2011, 10:51 pm

I blame the pink unicorn.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
robertduke32

Post by robertduke32 » March 30th, 2011, 11:43 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I blame the pink unicorn.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 30th, 2011, 11:53 am

I see the pink unicorn has been replaced with Toonses. A bit late!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » March 31st, 2011, 10:18 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:OUR BIGS ................... well, did they even show up for the game?

First of all, to say "Duke choked again," is almost a compliment. In order to choke, you gotta get there first, and Duke does that year in and year out. Notice unc did NOT choke in the NCAAs last year. Neither did Indiana, or St. John's. Another thing: look in the rafters. FOUR (4) National Championships in 20 years. If you don't understand the significance of that, then you don't understand the game. That is ridiculously hard to achieve. Duke IS the current National Champion. If you want Duke to win it every single year, you are simply being unrealistic. You should be proud of the Duke program. Well, beyond proud. You should be in awe. That is all.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 31st, 2011, 3:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I know, I'll take full responsibility.

I switched to toonces since I enjoy the "Do dogs chase cats" geico commercial :D
DUKEBLUE252
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by DUKEBLUE252 » April 1st, 2011, 3:48 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I know, I'll take full responsibility.

I switched to toonces since I enjoy the "Do dogs chase cats" geico commercial :D
I LOOOOVE that commercial! :clap: :)) :clap: =)) :-BD
peace? PEACE??!! I hate the word, as i hate chapel hell, all tarholes, and roy.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » April 1st, 2011, 6:22 pm

DUKEBLUE252 wrote:
Jesus_hurley wrote:I switched to toonces since I enjoy the "Do dogs chase cats" geico commercial :D
I LOOOOVE that commercial! :clap: :)) :clap: =)) :-BD
Me too! That dog looks a lot like Walter. I bet he'd be kick-ass in a car chase too. :O3