Vibes for College Apps!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: Vibes for College Apps!

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 31st, 2011, 12:28 pm

Congratulations!

To receive an acceptance letter from Duke is great! I knew you would!

I have worked in UGA . (it conflicts with Basketball season, ACC tourneys and NCAA tourneys).

So attend one of the Blue Devil Days and you will enjoy that!

DONT you have a full ride at NCState or other schools? So much to consider before making your final choice. Wherever you attend, you will be outstanding!
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 31st, 2011, 1:49 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Native wrote:Well, it's about twenty minutes until the decision.

Whatever happens, I want to say thanks to you guys. Your advice and reassurance on here has been nothing short of amazing and I will be forever grateful for it. I can truly feel the vibes as I sit here at my computer waiting for the clock to strike midnight (or, in this case, 6 PM).

I gave it my best shot, and that's what matters.

As I drove to lacrosse practice today, I passed by a sort of run-down house. There was a kid getting off a bus and walking towards it through the rain and the mud, school books in hand. Keep in mind that this was about an hour and a half after school had let out, and this guy was just getting home. His mom and little sister were waiting there for him on the front porch. The only way I am able to describe the look on his face is with the word "contentment." For whatever reason, he was happy to be able to get an education and to have a family every day to go home to.

It made me realize how much I have to be thankful for, and that everyone else in this huge rat race of college applications — as well as life in a larger sense — has worked just as hard as I have (and in some cases, has overcome much more). I've come to the realization that I'll have a great college experience and life regardless of where I go. I've been blessed with a great family, great friends, and a great opportunity — and of course, a great support system here on CrazieTalk. These things will carry me farther than any degree from any university.

So, before I get this decision, I'd just like to say thanks one more time. Regardless of what happens, thanks for all of your help and support!
:9f:
Native, I missed this on my first scan of this thread, until DA reposted (thanks, DA). It brought tears to my eyes.

What a perceptive young man you are. I am very proud of having made your acquaintance here. Any institution would be proud to have you as a representative.

What she said - and what DA said. This realization will get you further in life than anything they teach you from books. Whereever you decide to attend, they will be exceedingly blessed to have you.

And congratulations on getting into Duke!
Life is good!
Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Native » March 31st, 2011, 3:33 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Congratulations!

To receive an acceptance letter from Duke is great! I knew you would!

I have worked in UGA . (it conflicts with Basketball season, ACC tourneys and NCAA tourneys).

So attend one of the Blue Devil Days and you will enjoy that!

DONT you have a full ride at NCState or other schools? So much to consider before making your final choice. Wherever you attend, you will be outstanding!
I think I'm going to Blue Devil Days on the 17th and 18th — it's during my spring break but it's the only one I can make it to without interfering with school or lacrosse.

And turning down the full ride is going to be tough, especially since the Financial Aid office at Duke didn't do me too many favors... @-)
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 31st, 2011, 4:07 pm

Great news, Sir! Congratulations. How long did it take you to accept?
The vibes here are great. I know the responsiblity for your gaining admission was by your own hard work. But, the vibes and prayers from this joint don't hurt.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 1st, 2011, 11:52 am

Congrats!!!! To be honest, I've got a bunch of things on my plate today and I only logged in this morning to find out how the decision went. Thrilled that it went in your favour. If you go to Duke we have to get you a CTN t-shirt so that you can wear it at basketball games and we can scan the crowd shots to see if it appears on TV. And you absolutely must get a 9F shirt made for the Kerlina games!

:duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke:

All of us here have gone through this process for undergrad and many have gone through it for graduate and professional schools as well. We know how trying and stressful the whole process can be. Believe us, we've been there. What I noticed throughout your posts on this topic is how well you handled it and how level headed you were about the whole process, all the while being under incredible stress. That's a testament not only to you, but to your parents and how well they raised you. Congrats to all of you because you have all earned this honour (mostly you though!).

Also, I remember reading posts further back in this thread (I'm too lazy to search them out at the moment) in which you discussed the level of communication that took place from some schools and the lack of communication from others, and I think Duke was one of them. While you must certainly be thrilled my best advice to you, coming from someone who chose the entirely wrong PhD program for themselves, is to take a breather for a couple of days to let this all sink in before making a decision on which school you will attend. After the weekend sit down with your parents and discuss the whole matter with them - they have nothing but your best interests at heart and, from their own experiences, will be able to offer advice that might not occur to you. When figuring out your decision take everything into account as you might have a better experience somewhere else that appreciates you more than you will at Duke who, from the impression I got, seemed to ignore you a bit or to take you for granted (forgive me if I am remembering things incorrectly). Also, do not discount the prestige of the scholarship that State offered you as it might present more opportunities in the long run than you may realize at the moment. And do not fully discount Northwestern as it is an excellent school. I guess what I am trying to say is that, having learned from my own mistakes in this area (I accepted the offer of a place in my first choice of PhD programs and later discovered that it was entirely the wrong place for me), I think it is in your best interests to take a couple of days before making your final decision. You have several outstanding opportunities in front of you and they need to be weighed carefully. Regardless of what you decide we will all be proud of you.

Once again - congrats!!!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 1st, 2011, 11:57 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:The third one is on the way. Congratulations on two very exciting possibilities for your future. :happy-bouncyblue:
The Stanford letter made me a little nervous despite the usual accuracy of my gift of second sight. The Duke notification is the one in my vision for you!

I could use some of that second sight!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 1st, 2011, 12:36 pm

colchar wrote:Also, I remember reading posts further back in this thread (I'm too lazy to search them out at the moment) in which you discussed the level of communication that took place from some schools and the lack of communication from others, and I think Duke was one of them. While you must certainly be thrilled my best advice to you, coming from someone who chose the entirely wrong PhD program for themselves, is to take a breather for a couple of days to let this all sink in before making a decision on which school you will attend. After the weekend sit down with your parents and discuss the whole matter with them - they have nothing but your best interests at heart and, from their own experiences, will be able to offer advice that might not occur to you. When figuring out your decision take everything into account as you might have a better experience somewhere else that appreciates you more than you will at Duke who, from the impression I got, seemed to ignore you a bit or to take you for granted (forgive me if I am remembering things incorrectly). Also, do not discount the prestige of the scholarship that State offered you as it might present more opportunities in the long run than you may realize at the moment. And do not fully discount Northwestern as it is an excellent school. I guess what I am trying to say is that, having learned from my own mistakes in this area (I accepted the offer of a place in my first choice of PhD programs and later discovered that it was entirely the wrong place for me), I think it is in your best interests to take a couple of days before making your final decision. You have several outstanding opportunities in front of you and they need to be weighed carefully. Regardless of what you decide we will all be proud of you.

Once again - congrats!!!
What he said. :clap:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Native

Post by Native » April 1st, 2011, 3:08 pm

colchar wrote:Congrats!!!! To be honest, I've got a bunch of things on my plate today and I only logged in this morning to find out how the decision went. Thrilled that it went in your favour. If you go to Duke we have to get you a CTN t-shirt so that you can wear it at basketball games and we can scan the crowd shots to see if it appears on TV. And you absolutely must get a 9F shirt made for the Kerlina games!

:duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke:

All of us here have gone through this process for undergrad and many have gone through it for graduate and professional schools as well. We know how trying and stressful the whole process can be. Believe us, we've been there. What I noticed throughout your posts on this topic is how well you handled it and how level headed you were about the whole process, all the while being under incredible stress. That's a testament not only to you, but to your parents and how well they raised you. Congrats to all of you because you have all earned this honour (mostly you though!).

Also, I remember reading posts further back in this thread (I'm too lazy to search them out at the moment) in which you discussed the level of communication that took place from some schools and the lack of communication from others, and I think Duke was one of them. While you must certainly be thrilled my best advice to you, coming from someone who chose the entirely wrong PhD program for themselves, is to take a breather for a couple of days to let this all sink in before making a decision on which school you will attend. After the weekend sit down with your parents and discuss the whole matter with them - they have nothing but your best interests at heart and, from their own experiences, will be able to offer advice that might not occur to you. When figuring out your decision take everything into account as you might have a better experience somewhere else that appreciates you more than you will at Duke who, from the impression I got, seemed to ignore you a bit or to take you for granted (forgive me if I am remembering things incorrectly). Also, do not discount the prestige of the scholarship that State offered you as it might present more opportunities in the long run than you may realize at the moment. And do not fully discount Northwestern as it is an excellent school. I guess what I am trying to say is that, having learned from my own mistakes in this area (I accepted the offer of a place in my first choice of PhD programs and later discovered that it was entirely the wrong place for me), I think it is in your best interests to take a couple of days before making your final decision. You have several outstanding opportunities in front of you and they need to be weighed carefully. Regardless of what you decide we will all be proud of you.

Once again - congrats!!!
Thanks for the insight!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 7th, 2011, 11:45 am

How is the decision making process going? Or has the decision been made?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 7th, 2011, 7:21 pm

colchar wrote:How is the decision making process going? Or has the decision been made?
He's twisting in the wind, trying to justify turning down a spectacular, full ride (and then some) scholarship of a lifetime in a premier program of his interest in order to pay a fortune and end up flat broke and in debt to follow his dream of being a Cameron Crazie.

Ours is not to reason why, bless his heart.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » April 9th, 2011, 11:22 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
colchar wrote:How is the decision making process going? Or has the decision been made?
He's twisting in the wind, trying to justify turning down a spectacular, full ride (and then some) scholarship of a lifetime in a premier program of his interest in order to pay a fortune and end up flat broke and in debt to follow his dream of being a Cameron Crazie.

Love, Ima
Despite the student loan payments, I must say I have never regreted going to Duke. I realized my life's dream of becoming a PA and of being a for real Cameron Crazie student. Forever DUKE!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » April 10th, 2011, 1:27 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:

Love, Ima
HE needs to follow his heart! To be truly happy and fulfilled!

I know the decision is tugging not only on the heart but the purse strings. Pray and sleep on it! Either choice, will be great!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 10th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:

Love, Ima

The prestige of that scholarship, and the doors it will open down the road, should not be overlooked. And, as I said in a previous post, following one's hear instead of one's head does not always lead you to the right place. It certainly didn't for me. But so long as this decision is not being made quickly and is being given all the consideration it deserves, I am sure that the final decision will be the right one.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 10th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Thanks for the honest thoughts you are all expressing. Native's mom tells me they carry a lot of weight with him. This is such a great kid, I only hope he's really appreciated wherever he goes. He's bound to leave the place of his choice better than he found it.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2011, 10:21 am

If he chooses the Park, he can delay his lifelong desire to be a Crazie for 4 years when he can go to grad/professional school at Duke. Just thinking out loud here...

:-ss
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » April 11th, 2011, 11:38 am

devildeac wrote:If he chooses the Park, he can delay his lifelong desire to be a Crazie for 4 years when he can go to grad/professional school at Duke. Just thinking out loud here...

An excellent point that would give him the best of both worlds - the scholarship and the ability to be a Crazie.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 11th, 2011, 7:05 pm

devildeac wrote:If he chooses the Park, he can delay his lifelong desire to be a Crazie for 4 years when he can go to grad/professional school at Duke. Just thinking out loud here...

Listen to The Wisdom of the Devildeac. I was a grad school Crazie. Only had to camp out for tickets once. I did get walking pneumonia from standing in line for the Duke-Michigan game in 1992 (just before one of my oral exams!), but that was from a couple of hours of standing in line.

I finished my undergraduate degree (from a liberal arts college in AR) in 1988, and I finished paying off my loans in 2004. I was lucky in that I only had around $10K in loans. I don't regret it a bit - it was a great investment, but I shudder to think about what my loans would look like if I went now rather than 25 years ago. Grad school was free. Yes, I was paid around $11K/year, with tuition and fees covered, to attend Duke as a grad student. All I had to do was teach a couple of labs a week and work an obscene number of hours in the research lab. The joys of being a chemist. :-B
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » April 11th, 2011, 10:52 pm

colchar wrote:

An excellent point that would give him the best of both worlds - the scholarship and the ability to be a Crazie.
All of this is contingent on Native choosing a grad school (assuming that he wants to go to grad school) based on love of basketball rather than on meshing the topic in the discipline of his choice with the different faculty and resources at grad schools.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 11th, 2011, 11:48 pm

Tall Lemur Guy also raises an excellent point. :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Native

Post by Native » April 18th, 2011, 3:06 pm

It's Duke. :9f: