Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » March 12th, 2011, 7:26 am

Insanity-Weyerbacher Brewing

From the brewer: Insanity is made by aging our perfectly balanced Blithering Idiot Barleywine in oak bourbon casks. This incredible combination creates a mélange of flavors from rich malts, raisons, and dates to oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Insanity will be yours this February!

From my lips: This is the style/manner in which most barleywines should be made. I'll guess an IBU about 70-80 but the ABV is 11.5% for an incredible malty backbone and balance. Quite smooth and luscious and even reminding me of another favorite of mine, Dogfish Head's Immort Ale, with some maple syrup notes. Marketed in 4 packs at about $13 for the grouping. The pour is slightly cloudy and deep reddish-brown, the head is modest and it should be served about 55-60 degrees in a snifter/goblet and sipped after ACCT victories =p~ :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Quad-Weyerbacher Brewing

Another celebratory brew after the Fight Club win last PM. I am not sure why this is a quadruple. Could be 4 malts, 4 yeasts, 4 hops or 4 fermentations. Or all of the preceding. The style is really a Belgian dubbel but it is a bit lighter in color (medium-light brown) with a small head and a nose rich with dark, dried fruits like raisins, dates and figs and tastes to match. Most ales of this style have candi sugar and this tastes no different with the presence of light brown sugar and rummy notes, too. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is high for a dubbel (but not for a quad) at a stunning 11.8%, so pull out your snifter, let it the brew warm a few minutes on the counter and enjoy as your dessert. I found this as a 4 pack in Asheville about 6 weeks ago for about $14. Not cheap but well worth the purchase.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 13th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Devildeac gave me a 6-pack sampler a couple or four weeks ago. I finished the last one tonight as an ACC Championship celebration brew! All six were good. If you want more of a review than that, you'll have to ask DD for it :D
:9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2011, 10:17 am

Devil Dancer 2010-Founder's Brewing

There were multiple reasons to savor this celebratory brew last PM. First, I like the name :D . Not much additional explanation needed for that one. Second, it is an IIIPA, or a Triple IPA. As in three malts/yeasts/hops and/or fermentations. Or, as in 3 consecutive ACCT championships :D . The third reason was the bitterness. This hop bomb rocks your palate at an IBU of 112, right about the same amount of bitterness registered by unc fans after the 75-58 thrashing they took yesterday, complaining that the refs gave us the game with all our favorable calls, despite the facts that we had more PF than them at 20-16 AND less FT at 15-22, IIRC, while we led the entire freaking game. Plus, the fact that the 3 asshats ( :Angry Orc: ) wearing whistles and light blue and black stripes shirts chose to stop a fast break we had to review the tape and then ignore zeller's zelbow. That one really pissed off Mrs. DD who rarely complains about the refs or resorts to unsavory language. She came upstairs 3 separate times to chafe about that one. Oh, back to the beer.

The hops were citrusy, the malts massive and the ABV was 12%, just enough to sip and savor over an hour or so at cellar temperature out of a goblet. One of these high gravity ales for the 'hole fans plus a couple glasses of spoiled whine would be just the right amount of beverages to send them back to Hades where they belong. Oh, and the perfect food pairing with this would be roasted (or Curried =p~ ) lamb :D .
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 14th, 2011, 11:41 am

You Sir, had fine reason for digression. :9f:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 14th, 2011, 6:03 pm

Boy, is this sad.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 14th, 2011, 9:15 pm

wilson wrote:Boy, is this sad.
The truck, which was hauling beer, flipped over and spilled some of its contents onto the road.

Road crews spent hours trying to upright the truck before lanes could be reopened to traffic.
You know, the clean up would have gone a lot faster if they hadn't been on their hands and knees licking the road to do the cleanup. :p :p :p :p :p :tease:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 14th, 2011, 9:17 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
The truck, which was hauling beer, flipped over and spilled some of its contents onto the road.

Road crews spent hours trying to upright the truck before lanes could be reopened to traffic.
You know, the clean up would have gone a lot faster if they hadn't been on their hands and knees licking the road to do the cleanup. :p :p :p :p :p :tease:
Reminds me of the time I was in the grocery store with my dad, at age 5 or 6. Someone dropped a bottle of wine and it broke, spilling its contents all over the floor. "Oh dear, get a mop," said some employee.
My dad didn't miss a beat. "Forget that," he said. "Get a straw!"
Damn well played.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 14th, 2011, 9:48 pm

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Reminds me of the time I was in the grocery store with my dad, at age 5 or 6. Someone dropped a bottle of wine and it broke, spilling its contents all over the floor. "Oh dear, get a mop," said some employee.
My dad didn't miss a beat. "Forget that," he said. "Get a straw!"
Damn well played.
^:)^ ^:)^ to Dad.
:9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2011, 10:30 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Not that sad, I think I saw the logo on the truck and it was miller lite 8-| .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 17th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Monster-2004-Brooklyn Brewing

I was not sure how this one would taste at this age but this is one of the best aged brews I have ever had. This is a fairly smooth and highly drinkable barleywine when first released and, as advertised, it ages well. Very well. Most, if not all the bitterness is gone but I'd bet the IBU are still 70-80. The ABV is 11% and this ale has taken on mostly sherry notes with some medium brown sugar and dark cherry-like sweetness. It pours a slightly cloudy, reddish-brown color with a small head and makes a marvelous after dinner drink or bed time warmer. It should be served at cellar temperature in a goblet or snifter and sipped slowly over an hour or so to savor its complexity. I think I may have one more in storage but this may be the last of its kind and next winter I will sip on a 2005 vintage.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 19th, 2011, 12:18 am

Samichlaus-2004-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

I can't believe I still had a bottle of this. It ended up being all I expected and more. It most closely resembles a double bock but really should be called an imperial double bock with its higher octane. The pour is slightly cloudy (it has been in a bottle for 6-7 years) with very little head and prominent sherry and brown sugar notes. Bitterness is pretty mild, guessing 30-40 IBU and the ABV is a stunning 14% and has been every since I can remember. This is a dessert beer so sip and savor after dinner over an hour or so. Well worth the wait.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 19th, 2011, 12:29 am

devildeac wrote:Samichlaus-2004-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

I can't believe I still had a bottle of this. It ended up being all I expected and more. It most closely resembles a double bock but really should be called an imperial double bock with its higher octane. The pour is slightly cloudy (it has been in a bottle for 6-7 years) with very little head and prominent sherry and brown sugar notes. Bitterness is pretty mild, guessing 30-40 IBU and the ABV is a stunning 14% and has been every since I can remember. This is a dessert beer so sip and savor after dinner over an hour or so. Well worth the wait.
What a great day to enjoy it!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 19th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Black Lager-McSorley's

This was part of a flight consisting of three 6 ounce pours from Miles' favorite pub, Sir Edmond Halley's in Charlotte. Very interesting brew with a lager that really resembled an ale. Reddish-dark brown in color with a small head, this had dark caramel and chocolate sweetness and a floral hops nose and taste. It was very slightly smoky but not bitter with an estimated IBU of 20-30 and probably an ABV of 5-6%. Enjoyed with a salmon wrap and slaw with a small portion/plate(shared) of chicken/black bean nachos. Nice combo. CLD and dukediv2012 liked this and we rated it 2nd out of our 3 brews sampled.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 19th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Porter-Smuttynose

This was also part of the flight last PM and was a pretty typical porter with a dark brown color, a small and creamy head and a bit of mocha with blend of dark and milk chocolate aromas and flavors. Guessing the IBU to be 30-40 and the ABV between 5 and 6%. It matched nicely with the chicken/black bean nachos we all shared with our individual entrees of a veggie burger, real burger, chicken quesadilla and salmon wrap.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 22nd, 2011, 12:14 am

I bought the new sixer of SA's award winners tonight..Longshot 23...they are all good. 2 of 3 were women. Great Ghosts of Lavabe.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » March 22nd, 2011, 5:29 am

When will the wheach be available? :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » March 22nd, 2011, 7:55 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought the new sixer of SA's award winners tonight..Longshot 23...they are all good. 2 of 3 were women. Great Ghosts of Lavabe.
haven't seen that up here yet..what are the styles?
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » March 22nd, 2011, 7:56 am

devildeac wrote:Samichlaus-2004-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

^:)^ :Clap: ^:)^ This really goes for both this review and the monster review..7 years of aging is very impressive..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » March 22nd, 2011, 8:06 am

Sam Adams Wee Heavy--This is the newest SA imperial series brew and it may be the best of the bunch in my opinion. Wee Heavies and Scotch Ales tend to be hit or miss for me. This one pours a deep carmel brown with a nice light head. Very malty but fairly complex with a nice balance of smokiness and some sweeter malts. Some peat but less so than others in the style. There is also a decent note of dark fruit with a subtle sour funkiness. A bit boozier than other scotch ales but not surprising given the 10% ABV. Makes for a nice sipper. I'll likely grab another 4 pack of this to tuck away for awhile.