Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 4th, 2023, 3:37 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
October 4th, 2023, 3:16 pm
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 4:45 pm
Bye, McC :violin:
McCarthy_Speakers.JPEG
=)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 4th, 2023, 8:10 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
October 4th, 2023, 3:16 pm
October 3rd, 2023, 4:45 pm
Bye, McC :violin:
McCarthy_Speakers.JPEG
Nice. That's hilarious!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 5th, 2023, 6:10 am

=)) =)) =))
IMG_0234.jpeg
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » October 5th, 2023, 9:58 am

What is really killing me is that so-called moderate Republicans are allowing the extremists to run the House. If they had a shred of decency and courage, they would reach across the aisle to Democrats, neutralize the extremists, and actually govern. Instead, they allow Trump and Putin to pull all the strings and create chaos. If you have any idea of how fascism rose, and took control, during the 1920s and 1930s, the writing is on the freaking wall and the alarms are screaming.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 5th, 2023, 6:07 pm

DukePA wrote:
October 5th, 2023, 9:58 am
What is really killing me is that so-called moderate Republicans are allowing the extremists to run the House. If they had a shred of decency and courage, they would reach across the aisle to Democrats, neutralize the extremists, and actually govern. Instead, they allow Trump and Putin to pull all the strings and create chaos. If you have any idea of how fascism rose, and took control, during the 1920s and 1930s, the writing is on the freaking wall and the alarms are screaming.
There are no moderate Republicans. The few who were willing to reach across the aisle are gone. So the more "moderate" Republicans, particularly in the House, no longer exist. That is why there is a big problem. We can't normalize someone who is by comparison to the real crazies relatively moderate but 10 years ago would have been considered a real extremist.

I agree with you that this whole thing is scary. I don't see any end game here. Best case we muddle through the next year and vote them out next year, but we can't count on that.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » October 5th, 2023, 9:15 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 5th, 2023, 6:07 pm
DukePA wrote:
There are no moderate Republicans. The few who were willing to reach across the aisle are gone. So the more "moderate" Republicans, particularly in the House, no longer exist. That is why there is a big problem. We can't normalize someone who is by comparison to the real crazies relatively moderate but 10 years ago would have been considered a real extremist.

I agree with you that this whole thing is scary. I don't see any end game here. Best case we muddle through the next year and vote them out next year, but we can't count on that.
I have been saying for years that overwhelming the polls is the only way out of this hell.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 6th, 2023, 12:53 pm

DukePA wrote:
October 5th, 2023, 9:15 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 5th, 2023, 6:07 pm
DukePA wrote:

I have been saying for years that overwhelming the polls is the only way out of this hell.
As long as that includes the state level and it is truly overwhelming, because we aren't getting out of this without getting rid of gerrymandering. My vote would only actually count where I currently reside if this state got a 2/3rds Democratic majority and we could undue the gerrymanders. When you include the court packing that's been done, it's going to take literal decades of repair work here in NC, and I'm sure a number of other states. SCOTUS refusing to get involved is maddening. It is honestly right up there with Dred Scott in terms of terrible decisions, and I think there is at least a chance of it leading to either the end of democracy in this country entirely, or to another civil war. I'm truly worried about the long-term future, which goes right back around to DukePA's original post.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 7th, 2023, 7:54 am

Yes. In MO, the voters overwhelmingly passed a measure in which the congressional districts would’ve been drawn by independent cartographers. The MO legislature didn’t like it; they decided we didn’t know what we were voting for. So, they wrote their own highly confusing bill that puts it back into their hands. It passed, and I think it was due to the confusing wording.

If you guessed that MAGA folks have a majority in our legislature, you would be correct.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 9th, 2023, 1:11 pm

HA! If this is how it goes down, I could make some serious cash outside selling buckets.
Colorado Rep. Ken Buck, one of those who voted to kick out McCarthy, suggested a strategy to force consensus.

I think we lock the doors, and we have very limited bathroom breaks and food breaks and make sure we get the job done," he said Sunday on ABC's "This Week."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mccarthy-ous ... 32825.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 9th, 2023, 1:14 pm

Also this.

Apparently sharing orgasms in a crowded theater is frowned up by voters.
The leading Democratic candidate running against Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado in 2024 raised nearly $3.4 million in the third quarter, according to recent campaign finance reports.

For Adam Frisch, who lost to Boebert last year in the closest House race in the country in 2022, the fundraising figure is a blockbuster sum which ensures that Democrats will remain focused on flipping the 3rd Congressional district — which leans Republican but nearly went blue last year.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/leading-demo ... 06739.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 9th, 2023, 2:37 pm

October 9th, 2023, 1:14 pm
Also this.

The leading Democratic candidate running against Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado in 2024 raised nearly $3.4 million in the third quarter, according to recent campaign finance reports.

For Adam Frisch, who lost to Boebert last year in the closest House race in the country in 2022, the fundraising figure is a blockbuster sum which ensures that Democrats will remain focused on flipping the 3rd Congressional district — which leans Republican but nearly went blue last year.
I've limited my expertise on the topic, but I don't know if they were "sharing"...
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » October 9th, 2023, 7:49 pm

Also this.

Well, you still can raise good money that way. But you can only do it one constituent at a time.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 9th, 2023, 9:04 pm

OPK wrote:
October 9th, 2023, 7:49 pm
Also this.

Well, you still can raise good money that way. But you can only do it one constituent at a time.
Again, not to be too much of a perv, but there are ways to "fund raise" from multiple constituents at once. If anyone would know, I'm guessing she would.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 10th, 2023, 11:59 am

This is the last statement in an article about Matt Gaetz and the ire of the GOP that he's brought upon himself.
Gaetz may be headed for some form of consequences for his actions. Some members of the GOP were already weighing whether to expel Gaetz from Congress should the Ethics Committee find him guilty of sexual misconduct, illegal drug use, and other wrongdoings.
That ain't happening. They didn't kick out George Santos, who is under actual indictment, and has been caught in every lie imaginable. If that guy stands up to the GOP House's "scrutiny", Gaetz will pass with flying colors.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans- ... 03273.html
OPK

Post by OPK » October 10th, 2023, 12:18 pm

October 10th, 2023, 11:59 am
This is the last statement in an article about Matt Gaetz and the ire of the GOP that he's brought upon himself.
Gaetz may be headed for some form of consequences for his actions. Some members of the GOP were already weighing whether to expel Gaetz from Congress should the Ethics Committee find him guilty of sexual misconduct, illegal drug use, and other wrongdoings.
That ain't happening. They didn't kick out George Santos, who is under actual indictment, and has been caught in every lie imaginable. If that guy stands up to the GOP House's "scrutiny", Gaetz will pass with flying colors.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans- ... 03273.html
“All animals are equal. But some are more equal than others.”

If they kick out Santos, he may get replaced by a Dem. Not so with Gaetz. And DAMN they’re pissed at Gaetz!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 10th, 2023, 12:26 pm

OPK wrote:
October 10th, 2023, 12:18 pm
“All animals are equal. But some are more equal than others.”

If they kick out Santos, he may get replaced by a Dem. Not so with Gaetz. And DAMN they’re pissed at Gaetz!
One of my favorite quotes ever. And seemingly fitting, time and time again.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 10th, 2023, 2:18 pm

A GOP challenger for Feinstein's seat. Tons of name recognition, squat for experience. Tommy Tuberville Two?
After nearly two decades of statewide Republican candidates being rejected by California’s left-leaning electorate, former Dodger All-Star Steve Garvey hopes to drag the GOP back toward political relevance.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-dodge ... 23724.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 10th, 2023, 9:36 pm

Speaking of Santos, the creek he's up just got deeper.
The 10 new charges against Santos also include allegations that the New York Republican embezzled cash from his company and conspired with his former campaign treasurer to falsify donation totals in order to hit fundraising targets set by national Republicans, among other offenses.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/10/politics ... index.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 11th, 2023, 2:01 pm

It's Scalise over Jordan in the race for House Speaker. Now his nomination faces the full vote.
In private balloting at the Capitol, House Republicans pushed aside Rep. Jim Jordan, the Judiciary Committee chairman, in favor of Scalise, the current majority leader, lawmakers said. The Louisiana lawmaker is seen as a hero to some after surviving a mass shooting on lawmakers at a congressional baseball game practice in 2017. He is now battling blood cancer.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/having-ouste ... 38832.html
“I don’t know how the hell you get to 218," said Rep. Troy Nehls, R-Texas, referring to the majority vote typically needed in the 435-member House to become speaker. “It could be a long week.”