Jeff Capel..New Duke Assistant Coach

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Jeff Capel Returns

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 8th, 2011, 11:30 am

It is being reported that Jeff Capel is returning to the Duke bench as an assistant coach and the Nate James will be reassigned to other duties. Hopefully that is at his request, perhaps due to his growing family(?) and a desire to spend less time on the road(?) That's speculation on my part, but seems logical.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Jeff Capel..New Duke Assistant Coach

Post by YmoBeThere » May 8th, 2011, 11:33 am

Jeff Capel will be joining the Blue Devil staff and Nate James moves to Special Assistant.
YmoBeThere

Re: Jeff Capel Returns

Post by YmoBeThere » May 8th, 2011, 11:39 am

I posted in The Stadium 3 minutes after you.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: Jeff Capel Returns

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 8th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Welcome home Jeff Capel! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:

With the exception of Coach K, our staff has young children! Collins kids are young. And everyone else has children under 3 yrs old! Coach Wojo, and C-Well, and Nate James and Chris Spatola.... all very young children. Also, Nate James Wife, is an actress, and has her own career. Coach James said at our last Blue Devil Club meeting, that he had more "DADDY DUTY", since his wife was on the road. Either his mother or mother-in-law was staying with him, and taking care of the children. Nate James has been crucial in Duke Recruitment and coaching. Both Nate and C-Well.

So awesome to have Jeff Capel, back at Duke! He is a Winner!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: Jeff Capel..New Duke Assistant Coach

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 8th, 2011, 12:44 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Jeff Capel will be joining the Blue Devil staff and Nate James moves to Special Assistant.

Welcome Home Coach Capel! He certainly knows how to coach Big Men (Blake Griffin)!

And Nate James is great at Recruiting and coaching! He has a young family, and his wife is an active actress with her career. And she travels, also.

Coach Capel will be able to work with the new recruits and travel to Dubai and China over the summer! I am glad that Coach K and Dr White and all responsible for this decision, are allowing another Staff member!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

RE: Jeff Capel..New Duke Assistant Coach

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 8th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Another coaching change deserving it's own thread. :happy-bouncyblue: :D :duke:

I'm not sure how I see this, or even if I like it. He's an established head coach, now taking a seat on a talented and established bench of coaches. If Wojo or Collins had moved on, it would make more sense to me. What is Nate's status? It sounds like a demotion to me, although I doubt it is. What about C-Well?
Of course I love Capel, I just don't know if this is a move that I can get behind as much as I want to.

Here is the announcement on goduke.com.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... EM_ID=4200
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » May 8th, 2011, 1:32 pm

I'm excited about Jeff Capel joining the staff, but the ambiguous "special assistant" role for Nate James is concerning because I don't know what that means.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Bob Green wrote:I'm excited about Jeff Capel joining the staff, but the ambiguous "special assistant" role for Nate James is concerning because I don't know what that means.
I suspect it will have something to do with his Bad Assery or Bad Assitude.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 8th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Bob Green wrote:I'm excited about Jeff Capel joining the staff, but the ambiguous "special assistant" role for Nate James is concerning because I don't know what that means.
Same here. I'd like to think that "Special" in his title is analogous to "Special" in the UK (think Special Air Service), but this makes me nervous. :-ss
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 8th, 2011, 7:53 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Same here. I'd like to think that "Special" in his title is analogous to "Special" in the UK (think Special Air Service), but this makes me nervous. :-ss
Well, then think about "SPECIAL OPS."
The Football Fan
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by The Football Fan » May 8th, 2011, 9:35 pm

I guess I don't have much to offer regarding insight, but I'd echo the sentiments of others. I certainly hope nobody gets a demotion out of this. Nate James is a stand up guy. I hope he and C-Well are feeling the love.

I thought the recent Duke teams were tougher since he joined the team and then thereafter when he was on the bench. I always thought he had something to do with that toughness. I wonder if anyone else thought that too? It's easy to see what you want rather than what's there...I'm guilty of that sometimes.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 8th, 2011, 10:00 pm

The Football Fan wrote:I guess I don't have much to offer regarding insight, but I'd echo the sentiments of others. I certainly hope nobody gets a demotion out of this. Nate James is a stand up guy. I hope he and C-Well are feeling the love.

I thought the recent Duke teams were tougher since he joined the team and then thereafter when he was on the bench. I always thought he had something to do with that toughness. I wonder if anyone else thought that too? It's easy to see what you want rather than what's there...I'm guilty of that sometimes.

Nate James and C-Well have brought so much to the Mens Basketball program.

I have only read the IC forum a couple of times, and that was this season. I read it tonight, the thread about Jeff Capel. Many thoughts over on that forum, and I am sure they have gone through our thought process, also.

Hugs to Nate James and C-Well!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 9th, 2011, 6:46 am

Maybe his focus could be related to fine tuning, and mentoring, a point guard. I hope... :-?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 9th, 2011, 12:57 pm

I'm thinking this is temporary; an insider favor to polish up Capel's resume and give him a better jumping off place to a new job. His rep has sputtered lately.

We sure do got a lotta coaches! Isn't there a limit on the number a school can have? Seems like we have more coaches than players!

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 10th, 2011, 11:48 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I'm thinking this is temporary; an insider favor to polish up Capel's resume and give him a better jumping off place to a new job. His rep has sputtered lately.

We sure do got a lotta coaches! Isn't there a limit on the number a school can have? Seems like we have more coaches than players!

Love, Ima
I think Capel will be at Duke, no more than 2 seasons! The Duke positiion will add to his resume!

Mens Basketball team has as many coaches per team player, 1 coach per 2 players, as the Football team. Attending the Football Signing Day, there were 35/40 staff from the Football team. Coaches, and then coordinators, and special assistants, etc. And if you consider that, vs the Active playing Football players, the ration is 1 staff member per 2 players.

WILL Nate James and Chris Carawell, sit behind the bench at games, or on the end with the Doctors and Trainers?